Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD Confirmed Contestants 2017

+5
jingle
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
saxonsiren
B4p
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SCD Confirmed Contestants 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: SCD Confirmed Contestants 2017

Post  B4p Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Brian Conley (Comedian) 5' 9

Should be good to have 2 (official) comedians on the show!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD Confirmed Contestants 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: SCD Confirmed Contestants 2017

Post  B4p Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Severall contestants have tweeted that they've been into wardrobe for fittings.

According to Amethyxt on DS 'Rehearsals for the Launch Night group number start on Monday'
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:39 pm

A summary of confirmed contestants so far.
I'm guessing they'll be the usual block reveal of another 2-3 on the One Show sometime next week.

Contestants:
Gemma Atkinson (actress) 32 yrs - 5’ 9
Ruth Langsford (presenter)  57 yrs - 5’ 7
Mollie King (singer) 30 yrs - 5’ 4
Susan Calman (comedian) 42 yrs - 4’ 11

Simon Rimmer (chef) 54 yrs - 6' 0
Dhavood Ghami (actor) 35 yrs - 6’ 0
Rev Richard Coles (Rev & ex musician) 55 yrs - 5’ 10
Joe McFadden (actor) 41 yrs - 5’ 10
Brian Conley (comedian) 56 yrs - 5’ 9
Aston Merrygold (singer) 29 yrs - 5’ 4

A summary of the Pro dancers heights as near as I could find.
Aljaz - 6’ 0
Brendan - 5’ 11
An ton - 5’ 11
Giovanni - 5’ 10
Pasha - 5’ 10
Kevin - 5’ 8
Neil - 5’ 8
AJ - 5’ 8
Gorka - 5’ 7

Nadiya - 5’ 8?
Amy - 5’ 6?
Karen - 5’ 5
Oti - 5’ 5
Katya - 5’ 5
Chloe - 5’ 4
Dianne - 5’3
Janette - 5’ 0

Last edited by B4p on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Simon says - he's 6')
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:11 pm

Well, with the final list now confirmed, have to admit to feeling quite underwhelmed. I obviously don't watch enough TV as never heard of most of them.

Very Happy Thank goodness for Jonnie Peacock, he's already my favourite!
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Well. You put your feet up and 4 contestants arrive all on the same day. What's going on?

So the final line up for Strictly 2017 is:

Contestants:
Gemma Atkinson (actress) 32 yrs - 5’ 9
Charlotte Hawkins (newsreader) 32 yrs - 5' 8
Ruth Langsford (presenter)  57 yrs - 5’ 7
Chizzy Akudolu (actress) 33 yrs - 5' 6
Mollie King (singer) 30 yrs - 5’ 4
Alexandra Burke (singer) 29 yrs - 5' 3
Debbie McGee (magician's assistant) - 58 yrs - 5' 1
Susan Calman (comedian) 42 yrs - 4’ 11

Simon Rimmer (chef) 54 yrs - 6' 2
Dhavood Ghami (actor) 35 yrs - 6’ 0
Rev Richard Coles (Rev & ex musician) 55 yrs - 5’ 10
Jonnie Peacock (Paralympian) 24 yrs - 5' 10
Joe McFadden (actor) 41 yrs - 5’ 10
Brian Conley (comedian) 56 yrs - 5’ 9
Aston Merrygold (singer) 29 yrs - 5’ 4
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Charlotte Hawkins and Brian Conley for the final. At last, somebody to cheer for... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Anyone but Aston Merrygold please.

Early opinions of who I will be rooting for? Debbie Magee, Ruth Langsford and Brian Conley.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:31 pm

Well I've not heard of many of them, but that's not really a problem. I like anyone who's committed and gutsy, if they've got some rhythm, then even better.

I've heard of Susan Calman on radio shows and she seems witty and fun. Brian Conley should also be up for a laugh.

It seems a more mature line up this year.
I'm a bit concerned about the number of over 50's. Not that they couldn't be fit, but in reality, there's not going to be as much wear and tear on someone of 24 compared to someone of almost 59. Day 1 of rehearsals, and Simon's already got ice packs on his knees.

Will the fatigue factor play on the soap actors, who still carry on with long hours on their day job, then having to fit training in?

I still think there's room for a Strictly Seniors Special maybe held at the beginning of summer like the Christmas special which a shorter course.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:19 am

B4p wrote:
I'm a bit concerned about the number of over 50's. Not that they couldn't be fit, but in reality, there's not going to be as much wear and tear on someone of 24 compared to someone of almost 59. Day 1 of rehearsals, and Simon's already got ice packs on his knees.
Will the fatigue factor play on the soap actors, who still carry on with long hours on their day job, then having to fit training in?
I still think there's room for a Strictly Seniors Special maybe held at the beginning of summer like the Christmas special which a shorter course.

Personally I'm delighted to see older contestants as it may bring more actual dancing into the schedule and eliminate some of the gymnastics and musical weight-lifting that have taken the show so far away from its Come Dancing roots. Cartwheels, handstands and ridiculous Dirty Dancing type lifts are not really what the show was originally about. All these and ( Hey, I'm no prude and as red blooded as the next man) the striptease show that again is an incidental and not a judgeable factor, are the territory of the young. Modern/contemporary dance has it's own stage almost everywhere and isn't the perogative of this show. Let the dancers emerge more and the gymnasts back off. Ballroom dance is a beautiful art and you shouldn't need to be a member of a gym to do it.

Amen.... sunny
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:11 am

I agree there should be some older dancers Tango, I'm just surprised there's not a more even spread of the age range, to level the playing field a bit better. I hope they're all given a fair chance, but I don't like it when people have just been thrown in to be ridiculed as the joker of the pack, which is often the case with some of the more mature contestants.

Even the younger ones have complained how hard the training is, and how difficult it is to sustain that high energy level for 3-4 months. With the best will in the world, the Rev isn't going to be as bendy as say Jonnie the Olympian. Good job they don't have to be drug tested. The youngsters might be on the anabolic steroids, and the older ones on the anti inflammatories, not to mention the heat rubs, Vicks and Bob Martin tablets! I don't think there's too much danger of lots of gymnastics this year, except from probably Aston.

I agree there's been too much emphasis on flash-bang-wallop over the past few seasons. The theme nights, silly VT's and ridiculous music choices, have completely overtaken the dancing.

The Pros are going to have to box clever with their choreography this year. I'm just cringing, waiting for the terrible puns to begin, e.g Debbie McGee being dressed as a magician's assistant, or having to jump out of a coffin before she gets sawn in half (sounds like a Halloween theme), or the Rev being stuck in a pulpit (like Judge Rinder last year), before he leaps down, ripping off his cassock to reveal his lycra Cha Cha outfit!

Now talking of cheesy costume/music choices - for a VW, who will they give the song 'Hallelujah' too, Alexandra or the Rev? Basketball
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:55 am

I have heard plenty of people saying: 'Who? Never heard of them?'

To me they are missing the whole point of the show. It is (for me) not about how famous they are but about quest to learn to dance from scratch. Obviously, one or two have a head start but for me it is better when I don't really know them too well. Judge Rinder was an example last year as I never knew him but I really warmed to him and enjoyed getting to see a side of him which was very good. To many Ed Balls was the same. And that demonstrates my point. At the end of the day anyway it is a dance contest and for me I just hope that it is won by the genuine best learner.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I have heard plenty of people saying: 'Who? Never heard of them?'

To me they are missing the whole point of the show. It is (for me) not about how famous they are but about quest to learn to dance from scratch. Obviously, one or two have a head start but for me it is better when I don't really know them too well. Judge Rinder was an example last year as I never knew him but I really warmed to him and enjoyed getting to see a side of him which was very good. To many Ed Balls was the same. And that demonstrates my point. At the end of the day anyway it is a dance contest and for me I just hope that it is won by the genuine best learner.

Hear hear, I couldn't have put it better myself. Even my Mum starts on with "well of course I haven't really heard of any of them" as if it's a competition to see if she knows fewer celebrities than I do. Couldn't care less, it's the same as bake off, getting to know the different personalities and cheering or jeering along.

Looking forward to the launch show now....
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:50 pm

This year's ringers are Aston Merrygold and Alexandra Burke who has already appeared in West End musicals directed by CRH. Also see that Joe McFadden has been in West End musicals. Sorry but they won't be getting my support - just as has been the case in previous years shows. Ringers are not my cup of tea at all.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:15 am

Just for this once ( a one only special never to be repeated offer) I hope the pulic screw things up and vote in the no-chancers in favour of the real ringers. I'm going to put aside my mental images of Fred and Ginger in favour of Fred and Wilma. It isn't only a dance show, it's entertainment, we're constantly told, well, okay bring on the clapping seals audience, the park benches, street lamps and swings and let it rip. Just, please make one concession and don't play rap, hip-hop, punk or kiddy pop and give the Rocky Horror Show a year off. The world is full of good dance music so play maestro play and lets have some. Bring it on.. lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:38 am

Apparently Debbie McGee & Brian Conley are double booked to do panto seasons and rehearsals.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:44 am

cheers The live shows begin on Saturday 23 September cheers
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi again y'all!

I take the point about degree of stardom not being the be all and end all - I mean some of my favourite contestants like Alesha, Chelsee, Louisa and Ramps were people I'd never heard of before (I only knew of Mystique as a collective not the individual band members). That said though, part of the build-up excitement is having the odd NAME, it gives the launch a bit more of a buzz. So yes, I'm a little disappointed the line-up isn't as starry as I'd like it to be.

I also thought the cast had a slightly more mature feel which suits me as I do often find myself rooting for some of the older ones. However, Debbie's done ballet and Brian's done West End musicals so I'm thinking they're not going to be awful. In fact, Debbie's probably the reveal I'm most intrigued to see perform.

Richard and Susan should be a laugh - I only wish pairing them together was an option Laughing

And let's just say it wouldn't be the end of the world if Davood lost his shirt in a Paso.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

SCD Confirmed Contestants 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: SCD Contestants 2017

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Hello!!!!!!! bounce bounce bounce bounce

Hope everyone is ok and ready to strap in for our next series - you all sound on fine form! Very Happy

I think I am one of those people who in the past used to wish for the big names to appear and not 'C' listers - however, in recent years like many of you, some of my favourites have been people who I didn't know very well at all and part of the enjoyment has been getting to know them and not having any pre-conceived ideas about how good or not good that they might be -  I also think that the 'joke contestant' was really put to rest last year and made me realize not to pigeon hole people too early -  literally any one of them might have potential/appeal to last and sometimes the obvious ie  'young, fit and attractive' people don't actually cut the mustard at all - or simply fail to catch the votes in those crucial early weeks - also I think that some of the really famous people who have been on the show have been  divas.

On the subject of Debbie Magee - I am liking her in Celebrity Masterchef -  isn't it funny how a lot of Celebrity Masterchef contestants go on to do SCD or vice versa? Very Happy

Does anyone know how to watch the launch - other than on youtube.   I'm sure it was on the iplayer last year but can't find anything Question Question

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:55 pm

Hey mauve - The launch is on iPlayer again, I watched it last night. Apart from Brian Conley annoying me within 4 seconds they were all fab. Especially liking the new pros (tho a certain leggy Aussie blonde will be missed).
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi Sid

Yes found it last night and watched it - and mostly liked what I saw Very Happy (ditto Brian Conley).
I must admit I am a Holby fan (guilty pleasures etc) so I'm pleased that both Chizzy (who to me will always be Miss Ofanga) and Joe McFadden (to me Rafe) who I really like, are both on the show. Jonnie Peacock scrubs up well too! Very Happy

Someone else remarked on the thread that Shirley Ballas is remarkably like Arlene and I have to say I agree 100% - last night was the first time that I have heard her speak and even the tone and pitch of her voice is similar and with that slight 'headmistressy' feel - pity they didn't just get Arlene back? Having said that, I'm really interested in how Shirley shapes up because I know she is very respected in the world of ballroom/latin and I liked the fact that she didn't come across as being 'gimmicky' at least not yet - she also mentioned the words 'technical ability' more than once......................promising..............(but it still won't seem the same without L en for me personally).

The new dancers seemed good - I thought the Slovenian one was the most interesting and nice to see a homegrown champion in the line-up - the only one I wasn't sure about was the aussie, mind you I felt that way about another aussie initially and then she became one of my all time favourites!!! Like you I will miss her.

Does anyone know why Oksana didn't come back after only one season??

Looking forward to the first show Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Sid wrote:.... Brian Conley annoying me within 4 seconds..... a certain leggy Aussie blonde will be missed.

Oh Sid *sighs yearningly*, our two minds are meeting once more and colliding....  

I am very sad indeed to see most of the female pros I now and love gone.  3 new ones and no-one around (everybody jump in and correct me!) who has been in more than two seasons.  Still, good to see Brendan hanging on for the boys, even if Housewives choice is hanging on in the face of me wanting to stamp on his fingertips so he lets go....

I'm in the 'not bothered whether I know them or not' camp - as someone said earlier, for me it is like th lingerie Bake contestants - no-one knows them from the man/woman in the street (mainly because the ARE the man/woman in the street) but we like to get to know them as the series progresses.

I also personally like a few ringers to provide a bit more competence in the early stages and then sit back and and watch who catches up and maybe takes over. I have just been reminded of Scott Maslens amazing jive (I was watching someone's top ten strictly jives and this was one of them - for me it beat Jay thingy into a cocked hat.  But i digress...) - he was most certainly a ringer but then burnt out to be overtaken by... um... whoever won that year. (Another digression - I really can't remember who won last year! I can look it up of course, but it just shows how mesmerised I was Danny and Oti's performances that everyone else was just a blur in the background..... Don't even remember who else was in the final!)

So, let the fun begin and may Aljaz or Gorke win! bounce bounce bounce

PS - a word about the older contestants....  Stamina.  They may not be able to go so fast or lift their legs so high, but one builds stamina as the years go by.  I do a fair bit of running, and all the good ultra runners are older.  Joss Naylor (look him up) is a living legend at 80 and he can still run with the best of them, providing it is over insanely long distances... Our female club champion is 53.  I could go on, but I think you've all got the idea Very Happy And remember  Pamela Stephenson.  Not to mention Antia Dobson and even the incredible Lesley Joseph.  They all had enviable energy and stamina.  I think Ruth Langsford could be amazing - she seems to have great body movement - but I wonder about her fitness levels.  Brian Conley (sadly for me and Sid) looks as fit as a butcher's dog and I think he is going to do well.... Ps over now!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm

At the risk of strict censure from D&P , I not only want A nton in there, I'd like him to win it. (I sincerely hope he gets a partner who'll give him a fighting chance of doing so). I am rather miffed that an Arlene sound-alike got The Love God that is Leonard The Lion Goodman's judges job when A nton was a real square peg in a square hole for the job, and that they let that certain Australian lady, possibly, after Erin the most likeable of them all, escape the net.

Producers, I'd like the show to kick off with the pros, male v female doing batle to "Dueling Banjos" please. That would raise a smile and make me happy. Make it happen ... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:27 pm

I put elsewhere re double of Arlene new judge! Not sure about the pairings yet. I wanted to see Chloe and Neil get a celebrity this year. At the risk of sounding harsh why couldn't we have had Chloe another home grown dancer with the new Welsh girl? Pasha I feel an early bath sorry.....
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:07 pm

Please don't give too much away about the first show. I'm waiting for the launch show to hear about the pairings Shocked
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Not advising pairings! Avoid newspapers as The Sun has revealed pairings already pre launch show...
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next