Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

+8
Tappingfeet
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
diamondsandpearls
Sid
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
12 posters

Page 26 of 33 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29 ... 33  Next

Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 26 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  B4p Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Musical Week.

The one advantage of writing thoughts up at this stage of the game, is there's not so many dances to remember!

Gemma - I loved Gemma's entrance. I enjoyed the quickstep, and agreed with Br uno that her character slipped a bit in the mid-section, but she was back as Dolly before the end. Saying that, I don't understand Cr aigs 6? Maybe she could have been a bit lighter of foot, but they used the expanse of floor well and did the classic steps. I'm not sure what more Shirley wanted for her extra 20% of acting. I don't think the others have been told they need to act the part more?

Molly - Didn't like this much. I get tired of hearing T ess talking about Molly like she's a baby. She's at least 30 for goodness sake. Lots of gazing up at the ceiling with her mouth open. I couldn't see any hip action, and I thought the dress hid a lot of leg movement. She might have done the first section out of hold but she was hidden behind the corral fencing so it wasn't easy to see. When they reached the floor, everytime I was hoping to see some footwork, Steadycam man emerged running amok which completely ruined it for me. Darcy & Shirley mentioned it being 'girly' instead of 'womanly'. They can't have it both ways, either she's Juliet, or Eartha Kitt. I agreed with Cr aig that it looked like 'dancing by num.ber.s' but again I thought his 6 was harsh. Br uno felt the fireworks. I think there must have been a short circuit under his seat.

Joe - I loved this. I love a Samba anyway, and this was brave and bold. I think Shirley said the Samba has 7 different types of rhythmic steps to it. This was slower than a traditional Samba, which had the potential for exposing poor execution, but I could see lots of recognisable Samba steps. I also liked how she used the lyrics to highlight dance moves like the opening head positions and Samba rolls to 'around'. I think Katya's choreography is innovative and fresh. I loved the concept, the characterisation, the fact that the backing dancers stayed in the background. I was worried how they'd make that tune work, but as always, Katya rose to the challenge.

Debbie - Was it just me, or did T ess and Darcy both have verbal diarrhoea about this. I liked Gio's make-up and costume but thought Debbaay's face make-up looked very minimal and almost non existent. The 'cat' mouth looked just like a moustache under her nose. I didn't mind the dance, but from what I remember, it seemed disjointed to me with a sprinkling of lifts. I'm surprised Gio keeps putting in so many lifts when a) she can dance and b) when she's pulled her back muscles.

Darvood - I liked his entrance holding on to the chandelier. Difficult to hit the right positions when that mask kept falling over his eyes. A dance of 2 halves for me. They were either concentrating on not kicking 7 bells out of each other, or he was lifting her up right left and centre. I liked the floor spin that he did. I imagine it's a difficult dance for the male contestant to lead. I didn't feel any connection between them. Interesting that he got the same score as Gemma, even with balance issues. I thought Patrick did well with singing the theme tune.

Alexandra - I loved Gorka's blazer. I wasn't sure about Alexandra's outfit, or the idea of Mary Poppins doing back flips! I enjoyed their Charleston, and smiled when Gorka got comments about his swivel (has he done his pro challenge yet?). She doesn't seem to 'get into character' with any of her dances to me, but it's never mentioned. She did seem more relaxed and smile-y through it, although the 'earnest' Alexandra soon returned in the Clauditorium.

Well it looks like the judges have positioned Davood and Gemma mid table, with Mollie nearby, but I suppose it's all down to the public vote.

I liked Tess's blue long gown (she needs a gag to match) and Claudia's long black gown with the big buttons. Russell Grant's headwear made me think of Ferrera Roche chocolates.

Last edited by B4p on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 26 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 pm

I found it a strange night tonight - I think someone has already said that there was some great dancing - which I second - but to me it was almost good dancing against the odds - hampered by music, extra dancers, volatile judges - only CRH was the voice of sanity on the panel tonight for me (except for his ridiculous 6 for Gemma!).

Alijaz and Gemma - I gave it a 7/8
I was a bit undecided on this routine because I felt it was a bit 'smoke and mirrors' whether intentional or not. Couldn't really make out Shirley's comments on this one - fancy telling Gemma that should have been acting more, when actually I thought the performance aspect was the strongest element in his dance - and what on earth was the 20% more comment?? What I felt was that it was a great piece of music for QS but the extra dancers really got in the way for me on this one and I would have liked to have seen a lighter pure QS with a lot more in hold.

Mollie and AJ - 6/7
I suppose this was always going to be a 'marmite' routine but I really disliked it. Initially I was thinking 'victims of the production team' until I saw the lift which incensed me and had no place in a rumba. I admit there were some rumba bits in the middle and some of it was done nicely but it didn't move me at all. Then I was even more incensed when I heard the judges and saw the unbelievable scores '9' really?? 31 - two marks ahead of Gemma - really?? no penalties for the illegal lift - not even from our 'rumba diva' Shirley?? Only praise?? Thank heaven for CRH cutting things down to size with mention of the illegal lift and giving a more realistic critique and mark........

Joe and Katya - 9/10
Surprise of the night - I love Cabaret and I love this track but like most people, I really didn't relish the thought of a samba to this and didn't really know how it would work, but they really pulled it off I thought. Blimey! As B runo said, a latin samba done to a Charleston rhythm set in the 1930s Weimar republic Very Happy bonkers and not at all right on paper! but fair play to them it was a high class and different routine in an enjoyable way. He's definitely my winner now.

Debbie and Gio - 9/10
Simply lovely - the words that came into my mind were: flowing - lifts - fleckles - swirls and twirls!! The routine really suited the music and what I liked was the fact that this could have easily become quite a contemporary n umber but they avoided this and yet at the same time it was not too 'full of attack' which is the difference between these two and Alex and Gorka for me - Debbie and Gio always capture the right mood.

Davood and Nadyia - 7
This was very much as I thought it would be - a placed n umber which was a real lift fest and not much else sadly. Again, they suffered from inappropriate music which would have been far more suited for a ballroom tango or paso. This lacked everything that an AT should be - it was a dramatic piece that slightly resembled an AT - with far too many lifts. CRH spot on with his comments again.

Alex and Gorka - 8
Not the best Charleston of this season by far. Felt again that this music was not quite right for this dance (bit like Lambeth Walk). I thought it was surprisingly 'heavy' and a bit stop and start. It was executed well as always and she did get plenty of swivel steps in, but it almost lacked energy for me, which I wasn't expecting from these two.

Difficult to tell who should be in the drop zone - for me personally the DO should be Davood and Mollie and not really bothered about which one of them stays or goes, but I agree that Gemma could be in danger.

Just a shout out for the 'Oliver' n umber at the beginning of the show - love love love this musical, takes me back to our School musical production - particularly 'consider yourself' - really enjoyed it, and thought that T ess and C laudia looked really good tonight. Did anyone notice the judges rolling their eyes after Russell Grant's appearance in the clauditorium............................. Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 26 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  Sid Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Evening! My take on Musicals Week:

Gemma & Aljaz - First things first, you can never have too many gigantic feathers. Onto the performance and I feel I've seen better from Gemma. This was more a Week 5 than a Quarter Final Quickstep. She needed to be 'on it' more. It was a bit in and out. 7.5

Mollie & AJ - I get that the prissy, girly vibe was in keeping with the character of Sandy but it made for a slightly dull Rumba to watch if I'm honest (and the airography was unnecessary). However, from the little I've picked up about technique over the years, it didn't look like Mollie did too bad a job at things like caressing the floor with her feet, straightening the leg and and settling her weight etc which they always bang on about. But the 9s still felt too high (and C.raig's 6 too mean). 8

Joe & Katya
- Camp as tits. LOVED IT. Clever Katya strikes again - marrying the most unlikely of music-dance combos and coming up with an extremely entertaining routine which Joe executed terrifically. 9

Debbie & Gio - Every time I think Joe's gonna take this, Debs comes back and floors us yet again. This gave me goosebumps on gooosebumps on goosebumps. I'm gonna feel so shortchanged if these two don't ride off into the sunset together after Strictly. 9.5

Davood & Nadiya - TRAIN WRECK. I mean they were beaten before they even started on account of the completely unsuitable music but that doesn't excuse all the wobbles. And I'm putting it out there - Debbie danced her AT better than Nadiya danced hers. 6

Alex & Gorka - I gave Alex a couple of sympathy votes just for having that putrid shade of yellow foisted on her. As for the dance, I dunno if it was the boots, but it looked kinda clunky. And it felt overmarked. And of course Alex had another speech that no one wants to hear prepared for the Clauditorium. I fear for her. 8.5
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:00 am

Gemma - did well to dance with a loaf of bread and half an ostrich on her head. It was a bit too themed for me to enjoy, ie not enough actual QS, and wasn't the smoothest QS I've seen, but thought C.raig was a bit mean.

Mollie - I was dreading this, but it wasn't as bad as I thought and almost enjoyed it - mainly because it wasn't very rumba-esque. However, 2 nines were over-egging it, especially given the naughty lift (which would mean they would have given tens, but took a point off for the lift.  Which is just plain ridiculous.)

Debbie - apart from looking neither cat nor sophisticated, glamorous filmstar-esque, this was a lovely dance. I wish they wouldn't hedge their bets with themes though - either make her a cat in a fur suit, or just use the tune to dance a lovely dance in the style of a hollywood glamour puss (no pun intended!) like Ginger or Rita. Instead she had the Ginger dress style, but ragged and half burnt in a fire, and a bit of cat make up and some ears.

Joe - this shouldn't have worked, and it was a very slowed down version of the Samba, but in Katya's increasingly bonkers way, she made it work. She looked utterly fabulous and Joe is clearly auditioning hard for the MC in Cabaret... They simply threw away everything that was Samba except for the steps and went all out Cabaret (so no fighting of theme against costume)  I enjoyed it way more than is healthy...

Davood - pretty much as I expected.  A plonky lust-fest.  It was very much about YASB - he stood like a pole whilst she rubbed up and down him and twirled about, or else hoiked her aloft so we could all see her black knickers.  For once, she didn't get the nice outfit - the girly curls and the strange dress didn't look good and it wasn't an AT dress at all.  Possibly a Phantom dress, but I wouldn't know.

Alexandra - my least favourite dance of the night.  It was a silly theme choice - Edwardian era musical does a 1920's dance.  Oh yes, that will work...  It might have worked if they hadn't have themed it - the music on it's own might have passed muster - but then they totally Mary Poppins'ed Gorka and the set and.... I don't know quite what they did with Alexandra.  Her dress was vile - neither charleston or Mary Poppins - and the boots were an unfortunate and ill-advised nod to Mary Poppins. I sense an Aston/Jannette horrible theme and costume scenario all over again and think Alexandra may be in the dance-off again.  It seems I can never say it enough - costume matters people!

I think the only two who are definitely safe are Joe and Debbie.  I gave my votes to Gemma.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:54 am

Really interesting to read everyone’s comments. I really enjoyed the show, but timewise it felt SO short (do the remaining couples dance two dances next week, I’ve forgotten but I hope they do).
As others have said, I felt the mismatched music/themes gave some of the pros big challenges this week, and some were more innovative than others.  It was interesting that four out of the six had backing dancers, although in most cases they weren’t too obtrusive (though I thought they were a bit too noticeable in Gemma’s routine).

Gemma - I felt that the real Gemma got lost underneath all that wiggery, and while the dress looked nice on ITT  the shiny material was actually quite unflattering. It did look a bit heavy in places, but I thought she acted the dance well - didn’t quite understand where the judges were coming from with that comment.

Mollie –I thought their simple rumba was a good alternative to the fake-sexy routines which we often see, and I liked the barefoot look (ballet pumps I think).  Yes there was an illegal lift, though it would’ve looked a bit strange if he hadn’t twirled her round after her jump off the veranda.  I hope she’s done enough to get through.

Joe – this was my dance of the night, and Katya is probably my favourite choreographer. Hats off to her for managing to create an innovative samba to that offbeat music.  The routine was so quirky, in the same way as their Halloween spider dance was. It looked like they were both having a ball and Joe seemed in his element.  

Debbie – meh, for some reason I just don’t enjoy watching Debbie dance, even though I can see she’s extremely talented. I found the choreography quite unexciting, and the neck spin looked more like a Dancing on Ice move.

Davood – Like Mollie there were no support dancers for his routine, and I think the AT exposed a few of Davood’s weaknesses (as well as exposing far too much of Nadiya’s gusset for my liking). Quite a few wobbles in places, and some posture issues.  I think he may have possibly kicked her shin near the end.  

Alex – an odd VT, what does cooking have to do with the Charleston? Anyhow, I thought she danced this very well, but at times I felt it looked like two solo acts rather than a partnership.  I did feel a bit sorry for her in terms of the costume, what on earth had she done to deserve that?  Kudos for being able to dance anything in those boots.

No idea who’ll be in the dance off, especially with two sets of ties.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed for Mollie, who certainly wasn’t the weakest dancer of the night.

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:54 am

A very enjoyably musical night with a high standard of dance across the board.

Gemma's Quickstep was danced very well. Only gripe was her hands shaping which were a bit odd. Judges a bit harsh on her and undermarked by C.raig and Darcy. 8

Mollie's Rumba was a very good effort. There was a nice connection between them. She had some lovely shapes but in one section she seemed a little stiff. C.raig was harsh with her and again undermarked by C.raig and Darcy. 8

Joe's Samba i loved. He really sold the dance he even he was dealt with an unsuitable song. Also loved his characterisation and musical expression. 9

Debbie's American Smooth was highly polished. Aside from first soin that looked off bslance to me. The music suited the dance (unlike others). Felt the judges favouritism was clear here. 9

Davood's Argentine Tango was shaky in places. Not a lot of sharp tango steps either but had a lovely feel to it but he did struggle with what was a tough dance in a tough week. In real danger here. 7.5

Alexandra's Charleston looked very ungainly andvugly at times. Almost bandy legged and she appeared hunchedvoverbinba section. Lacked pace and attack for me. Sorry, not because she is a ringer, but it looked ugly. Silver tongued Italian Stallion was embarassing st the end. This was grossly overmarked and I was nauseated by the judges ass kissing for a dance that was by no means the best Charleston of the series. 7

I think Davood is warm favourite to exit. He got a little unlucky landing the Argentine Tango when he did. The judges pandering to the golden duo was sickening.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:30 am

I've re watched some of the dances to see if I missed anything first time round - mostly my first impressions stand.

Gemma and Alijaz QS- I definitely felt all was not right when I watched this live, but it looked better second time around.Some nice steps and she fair flew around. I still think she may have blanked or something as she looked like she was holding on for dear life in the middle.
Mollie and AJ Rumba- I liked this much more than I was expecting, not a cringe-fest like so many others we have seen this season. The dance fitted the music well, I don't know what more they could have done - it was Sandy at her most innocent so it was never going to be a 'womanly' rumba- didn't really get the judges on that. I felt she deserved to stay in that performance so i gave her all my votes
Joe and Katya Samba wow, she is a very clever choreographer- to be able to make that theme and music fit with a samba was incredible. I think he has to be hot favourite to win now, because he is so likeable, has improved week on week, and the public clearly like him. I predict Katya will be choreographing a stunning showdance as we speak
Debbie and Giovanni AS at the time I was totally drawn in to the mood and really loved it. On second viewing I noticed the showy lifts even more, but they didn't take over for me, although the neck spin was clearly a wow moment. On second viewing i thought the ending fizzled out a bit after that lift, but i didn't really notice at the time. Debbie has won me over in recent weeks and is hovering over a firm place in my afors
Davood and YASB AT -his turn to be stitched up by the music. I thought this was all wrong for so many reasons and it's really hard to compare that to the earlier ones and come out with any credit, but only some of it can be blamed on that. He was unsteady and exposed. A bit unfair on him this week, I feel they have opened the trapdoor and are waiting for the GBP to do the deed  pale
Alexandra and Gorka Charleston competent yet unmoved. I tried to look at it a bit more objectively on second viewing but I still didn't like it. Mr T has spoken about prejudice and i have to say, I am prejudiced against her, she can't seem to win me over in a way that other ringers have in the past. I think at the heart of it her earnest humble is very wearing and feels like an act. If she is genuinely as nice and 'gosh it's such an honour and privilege to be here' then I apologise, but I just don't see it. Also there is no chemistry between her and Gorka so they I find it difficult to get drawn in to their dances in the way that I can with others.

Anyway that's my two penn'orth. I feel any of the bottom three could be in danger depending on votes. I reckon Davood is the least popular out of the three, but you can't second guess anything with the GBP.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:23 am

allsewnonbyhand wrote:I've re watched some of the dances to see if I missed anything first time round - mostly my first impressions stand.

[

Me too Alls. I particularly watched Debbie'a As and Davood's AT as a result of some of the comments here to see if I missed what some of you have said.

I still loved Debbie's AS.  My first impressions were that, apart from the rather inelegant neck spin thing (which she got out of with admirable poise) the lifts were pretty unremarkable.  Debbie and Gio in particular have been all kinds of crazy lift-wise.  On first viewing I thought that neck spin a bit out of keeping with the mood and smoothness of the dance,whilst the other lifts were very AS. When I looked again I found I hadn't changed my mind at all - the neck spin was a bit sillly (though perhaps hurt her back a bit less than others that might possibly have ben planned?) and the others didn't look overly amazing (though they undoubtedly were very clever) because Debbie has done so much more lift-tastic liftery, and they fitted into the dance rather than sticking out like a sore thumb.

Poor Davood.  I missed his wobbliness the first viewing.  He just looked like the pillar of Hercules whilst YASB found a gazillion ways to lean, lunge and twizzle her legs around him. He looked a little lost really. I noticed a lack of sharpness and was crying out for more ganchos (they mainly came at the end). The tting I noticed about it the second time was how different the choreographical style was.  I have no idea if YASB choreographed it, or Vinthent did but but been at Silver tongued Italian Stallion's pills, but it was such a different dance to the AT that I normally see.  Vinthent usually chorepgraphs really tightly - this took up a lot more space.  I agree the music didn't help, and I really sympathise, but I think in those situations you need to forget the music, (keep an appropriate tune in your head) and choreograph a great dance. Easier said than done though.

Mollie - it was a sacherine sweet song, so we were given a sweet, sacherine dance.  I hate the rumba, so I don't know how much actual rumba content ths actually had, but it was a decent dance about two sweet young things being in love and having a bit of a misunderstanding.  It's not an adult (or 'womanly' - I note nobody said that AJ needed to be more manly....) song full of bitter yearning - its is wistful rather than angsty and passionate.  They interpreted the song well - the judges can't have it all ways - they eihter have to perform and act the feel of the song or else go against the feel of the song and more in the mood of the dance.  Katya and Joe totally, totally went for the feel of the song and tossed all Brazilian carnival vibe to the four winds - they were lauded by the judges.

I think you hit it on the head Alls about Alexandra, as in there is no real chemistry between her and Gorka.  It makes me want to bring Ruth and Housewives choice back because they were a lovely, warm parnership that worked so well together with what seemed like a genuine liking of each other.  No matter what Alex says about Gorka I find mysefl thing, 'yeah, whatever (b. abes)'.  With the exception of Davood and YASB (which is two partsproud mama showing off her big, strong bear cub and one part praying mantis on her part, and totally bedazzled on his part) I think all the other partnerships work well together and have chemistry in some form or another. I think Alex can divorce herself totally from any kind of feeling - perhaps to reassure the boyfriend and to stop tabloid rumours - and she can seem very clinical on the dance floor and very insincere off of it.  She is missing a bit of warmth. However, having said all that, her mother died only a few months ago and, speaking personally, the death of a parent plays havoc with your emotions and you can seem like another, alien, person entirely. Locking her real emotions away is possibly the only way she can cope.  And generally she is great, but that Chareleston was joyless and she seemed very disconnected with Gorka.

PS - I think the all the "kiss kiss kiss" stuff going on with Mollie and AJ is all smoke and mirrors to hide the couple who are truly smouldering like an about-to-erupt volcano. It may be great acting in the moment obviously, but Debbie and Gio do a fantastic job of it...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Well loved all your comments ☺️ Diamonds I so agree it was Miss Haversham's dress  affraid affraid almost expected the flames to pop up too.
What or who on earth decided to borrow a pair of miners boots for #Alexcallmediva? Hated the dress and the dance. Alex for me be a second week in d/o I feel as fan base waning. Not sure who to join her. Mollie & AJ lift that shouldn't be in there might join them. Davood and Gemma dangerous place re board and Deb well we won't get the dance off all seem to be shouting about on twitteretti re Alex & Deb...
I know Joe for me dance of the night and should stay clear of any do  x
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:23 pm

I was a little surprised that Gorka made Debbie do 3 lifts if her back is strained. You don't have to do 3 lifts do you? You can do less. It used to be only 2 lifts for a while I'm sure. With 2 dances coming up next week and 3 if she gets into the final, I'd have thought he should have been giving her back a rest.

It seems I'm totally at odds with everyone about Joe and Katya's Samba. I'm glad everyone liked it because I like Joe. I've had a look at it again this morning and it's still the most irritating dance of the night for me. Sorry. "Vive la difference" I suppose.

I'll chuck in my two-pennyworth on the Rumba as I was a little surprised with what I saw when I followed the links to the Cuban Rumba. A little bit of research (only Wikipedia and YouTube admittedly) suggested to me that the Rumba or Cuban Rumba had little or nothing to do these days with the "International Ballroom" Rumba or Rhumba introduced by Monsieur Pierre and Doris Lavalle in the 40s and 50s. To compare the two and to suggest that it's Strictly that's at fault for not dancing the Rumba correctly (i.e. a la Cuban Rumba) seems a bit of a red herring. If it's not part of the standard ballroom repertoire then surely the Rhumba danced in Strictly is what is called for. Admittedly it's not often wonderful, but it does separate the wheat from the chaff!

mauveangel09 wrote:
Just a shout out for the 'Oliver' n umber at the beginning of the show - love love love this musical, takes me back to our School musical production - particularly 'consider yourself'   - really enjoyed it
I loved the routine too mauveangel. I did school/amateur shows as well, and there's nothing quite like them is there. They stay with you forever. In comparison however, this is totally a bit of bragging...
I was lucky enough to be in the chorus of "Oliver!" at the Palladium in 1994 that was choreographed by Matthew Bourne - a lovely man. One day another cast member, the Dance Captain and a real dancer burst into our dressing room furiously waving a copy of Dance Magazine. He'd been dancing for years, was ballet trained etc etc, yet there was a picture of myself and another chap from the show dancing "Consider Yourself" on the front cover! I suspect his disgust was only partially joking! The article it referred to was obviously about Matthew Bourne. (I notice he tweeted last night Didn’t really agree with judges much tnt on @bbcstrictly - Best Choreography was @DavoodGhadami  as The Phantom & @MollieKing embodied Sandy perfectly with @Aj11Ace - Who else missed @keviclifton ? #Strictly2017)
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Aftermath:

Alexandra whatsit probably doesn't know I'm alive. I don't know her, never met so I have no right to judge her personally. Her dancing is very good and that's the only point of interest, that and knowing she's had considerable pre-dance experience. The rest is immaterial. That said, I'll put aside all previous comments and just stay with last night. Despite her excellent trepsichery -for she is nimble footed (normally) and can be gracefull indeed- at times ,most of it actually- I felt I was watching a frantic navvy in tights and boots doing a Guinness infuelled knees up at a Ceilidh. ( The poor choice of outfit has already been remarked on) The Charlston is a fun-dance much reliant on mood as opposed to strict technique censure (I hear C.R.H howling abuse in the background) and in that Alexandra did exceedingly well, but she isn't sylph like and maybe that affected my judgement, I know not. I'm also aware (keeping Team Cola and a few brilliant others in mind) that the Charlston can be a massive points booster with the G.B.P. Last night I didn't see anywhere near a 10, never mind three of them. Sorry, but that's how I saw it.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:53 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Aftermath:

Alexandra whatsit probably doesn't know I'm alive. I don't know her, never met so I have no right to judge her personally. Her dancing is very good and that's the only point of interest, that and knowing she's had considerable pre-dance experience. The rest is immaterial. That said, I'll put aside all previous comments and just stay with last night. Despite her excellent trepsichery -for she is nimble footed (normally) and can be gracefull indeed- at times ,most of it actually- I felt I was watching a frantic navvy in tights and boots doing a Guinness infuelled knees up at a Ceilidh. ( The poor choice of outfit has already been remarked on) The Charlston is a fun-dance much reliant on mood as opposed to strict technique censure (I hear C.R.H howling abuse in the background) and in that Alexandra did exceedingly well, but she isn't sylph like and maybe that affected my judgement, I know not. I'm also aware (keeping Team Cola and a few brilliant others in mind) that the Charlston can be a massive points booster with the G.B.P. Last night I didn't see anywhere near a 10, never mind three of them. Sorry, but that's how I saw it.

Agreed on all points Mr T. "Guinness infuelled knees up at a Ceilidh" is particularly, wonderfully colourful! lol!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 26 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Twirlie wrote:

I'll chuck in my two-pennyworth on the Rumba as I was a little surprised with what I saw when I followed the links to the Cuban Rumba. A little bit of research (only Wikipedia and YouTube admittedly) suggested to me that the Rumba or Cuban Rumba had little or nothing to do these days with the "International Ballroom" Rumba or Rhumba introduced by Monsieur Pierre and Doris Lavalle in the 40s and 50s. To compare the two and to suggest that it's Strictly that's at fault for not dancing the Rumba correctly (i.e. a la Cuban Rumba) seems a bit of a red herring. If it's not part of the standard ballroom repertoire then surely the Rhumba danced in Strictly is what is called for. Admittedly it's not often wonderful, but it does separate the wheat from the chaff!

I loved the routine too mauveangel. I did school/amateur shows as well, and there's nothing quite like them is there. They stay with you forever. In comparison however, this is totally a bit of bragging...
I was lucky enough to be in the chorus of "Oliver!" at the Palladium in 1994 that was choreographed by Matthew Bourne - a lovely man. One day another cast member, the Dance Captain and a real dancer burst into our dressing room furiously waving a copy of Dance Magazine. He'd been dancing for years, was ballet trained etc etc, yet there was a picture of myself and another chap from the show dancing "Consider Yourself" on the front cover! I suspect his disgust was only partially joking! [/i])

Hi Twirlie

Yes - spot on about the rumba. The dance in competition terms was completely changed from earlier versions as you say to become the 'international rumba' - a slowed down version of the cha cha - the new version surfaced in dance halls and clubs in the 1930s. I have got a couple of books on the subject.

I love your 'Oliver' experience!! Our drama teacher and the producer of the School show told us that he had been an extra in the film and was in the 'consider yourself' scene (you know the one with hundreds of people!!). We never could never spot him and didn't know whether it was true or not but all these years later every time the film comes on I scour the screen to no avail................. Smile Smile

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:12 pm

I've decided my Musicals Week dance would be a kitsch-as-I-can-make-it Foxtrot to Beauty School Dropout Razz

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Poor Davood.  I missed his wobbliness the first viewing.  He just looked like the pillar of Hercules whilst YASB found a gazillion ways to lean, lunge and twizzle her legs around him. He looked a little lost really. I noticed a lack of sharpness and was crying out for more ganchos (they mainly came at the end). The tting I noticed about it the second time was how different the choreographical style was.  I have no idea if YASB choreographed it, or Vinthent did but but been at Silver tongued Italian Stallion's pills, but it was such a different dance to the AT that I normally see.  Vinthent usually chorepgraphs really tightly - this took up a lot more space.  I agree the music didn't help, and I really sympathise, but I think in those situations you need to forget the music, (keep an appropriate tune in your head) and choreograph a great dance. Easier said than done though.

I think you hit it on the head Alls about Alexandra, as in there is no real chemistry between her and Gorka. I think Alex can divorce herself totally from any kind of feeling - perhaps to reassure the boyfriend and to stop tabloid rumours - and she can seem very clinical on the dance floor and very insincere off of it.  She is missing a bit of warmth. However, having said all that, her mother died only a few months ago and, speaking personally, the death of a parent plays havoc with your emotions and you can seem like another, alien, person entirely. Locking her real emotions away is possibly the only way she can cope.  And generally she is great, but that Chareleston was joyless and she seemed very disconnected with Gorka.

I was getting deja vu watching Davood and Nadiya's AT. It was very reminiscent of their Rumba - all weird lunges and Nadiya doing an energetic pole dance around him (even her dancing in this looked somewhat coltish to me).

I think you make a very valid and sensitive point about Alex, diamonds. It's why I try to cut her a little slack because I can't imagine taking part on the show so soon if I'd just lost my mum. I'd crumble - and maybe suppressing her emotions is her way of stopping herself doing just that. I feel bad for her because there's a lot of negativity about her out there and judging by Chizzy's tweet the other day - and Alexandra's reply - it's getting to her a bit:

https://twitter.com/chizzyakudolu/status/935192325378240512

https://twitter.com/alexandramusic/status/935459770579980288

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
Joe and Katya Samba wow, she is a very clever choreographer- to be able to make that theme and music fit with a samba was incredible. I think he has to be hot favourite to win now, because he is so likeable, has improved week on week, and the public clearly like him. I predict Katya will be choreographing a stunning showdance as we speak

I can't get over how good the actual Samba bits looked Alls. Given how far removed the music and theme were from the 'essence' of the dance, that must have made it even more difficult for Joe to get a feel for the movements and rhythm and yet there he was looking like he'd been Samba-ing all his life. So impressed. They probably won't do it again in the final as you can't include extra dancers and Joe's make-over might be difficult under the time constraints but I so wish they would. Presuming they get there that is!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 26 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:35 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Aftermath:

I felt I was watching a frantic navvy in tights and boots doing a Guinness infuelled knees up at a Ceilidh.

lol! lol!

Watching back some dances from last night I think I was over generous in my comments on this one!!  The boots and costume just made things worse.  Joe and Katya really were superb as were Debbie and Gio,  However, I haven't changed my opinion about Mollie and AJ even though I'm in the minority. Given the voting patterns this year I feel it could be any of them in the DO quite honestly. Quick edit as I forgot to say that no matter who it is, illegal lifts should be penalised. Some couples get crucified for it and others (like last night) don't - I'm not bashing Mollie and AJ I just think there should be parity. If any marks were deducted those '9's for Molly would have been '10's - surely not??? I think someone else has already pointed this out, but it is so true.

I've long been reconciled to the SCD theme nights - controversial as they always are.  However,  I felt this one in particular didn't work very well.  Unless they are well and truly in the background, such as standing on the stairs or sitting at tables - I don't think that backing dancers work in Elstree.  I also think that the rhythms of most songs from the musicals fit ballroom dances far more than latin -  the Argentine Tango and even the Rumba to a certain extent are more specialist dances and you are hard pushed to fit them to something from a musical - as we have seen, and seen with other dances too. They sometimes seem to pick the most unlikely tracks for the musicals night, and it seems to be 'square pegs in round holes' in terms of the dances - strange, as there is such a rich choice out there!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:18 pm

Just re watched last nights show and must say I enjoyed it .I love Musical week and I just love the whole drama and dress up and excitement .

I like Mollie and AJ and so I liked the dance and the dress and the innocence of it . I hate the sultry rhumbas anyway so I liked the lighter tone of it
Gemma tried hard but I wasnt keen on the unsteady look of it and the lack of any wow at all . I think she is going backwards now
Joe and Katya got a big WOW and I Love LOve Loved it .They got the Cabaret mood and tone to a tee and I am rooting for them now for the win
Debbies dances are blending into one for me now , leg in the air , splits on the floor , straight unbendy body and twirl .Meh
Alexandra and Gorka are so much better than ugly boots and horrible yellow dresses and ugly wide legged Charleston .I hated it , every bit of it and found it stompy and ugly and awkward .
Nadiya danced around Davood while he stood and looked gormless and even more awkward than Alexandra . He may as well have sat in the audience and let Nadiya throw her legs around a pole .
Tappingfeet
Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Sid wrote:I think you make a very valid and sensitive point about Alex, diamonds. It's why I try to cut her a little slack because I can't imagine taking part on the show so soon if I'd just lost my mum. I'd crumble - and maybe suppressing her emotions is her way of stopping herself doing just that. I feel bad for her because there's a lot of negativity about her out there and judging by Chizzy's tweet the other day - and Alexandra's reply - it's getting to her a bit:

I do agree regarding how hard it must be regarding the loss of her mum, as I know from personal experience, and I was defending her when she broke down after dancing early on in the series . Dance and music are powerful media for engaging in and bringing back feelings. I can't ever watch waltzes to Moon River without a little tear because it was one of mum's favourites. ( I'm sure I asked this before so forgive me, more like my dear mum every day on the doolally front, but who danced to that it in a beautiful yellow frock? )
That being said, my general point is that whether we like it or not this show is to a greater or lesser degree a popularity contest, and for whatever reason I just can't take to her. I as fickle as the next, and if I like someone I'll vote to keep them in even if they're not the best dancer. Until the business end at the final and then for me it tends to be whose dances I like best on the night, for whatever reason that might be. I'd like to say it's all about the dance, but if I'm honest personality will play a part in it too.
You're absolutely right Mr T I have no right to make any personal judgement on any of them because I don't know them, but I do. Well, I judge them on their persona which to be honest, if you take part in a reality show, you have to know right from the start that will happen. It's all part of the game. On the other 'celebrity' show in the jungle, I fully expected to despise the Chelsea celeb who knows how to play the game, but I love her!! She comes across as warm and engaging, but for all I know she could be a monster in real life. It's also why I found myself actually rooting for a politician last year- Ed was fab, he tried hard and came across as a self deprecating nice guy.
Don't really know where I'm going with all this except to say, whilst we on here are by definition lovers of dance, I am fully aware that I also love people watching and how people get along. For me it's all part of why I love strictly.

Sorry, much heavier than I intended it to be! Rolling Eyes

allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Twirlie wrote:"International Ballroom" Rumba or Rhumba introduced by Monsieur Pierre and Doris Lavalle in the 40s and 50s. To compare the two and to suggest that it's Strictly that's at fault for not dancing the Rumba correctly (i.e. a la Cuban Rumba) seems a bit of a red herring. If it's not part of the standard ballroom repertoire then surely the Rhumba danced in Strictly is what is called for. Admittedly it's not often wonderful, but it does separate the wheat from the chaff!

This is very interesting Twirlie - and Mauve - I hadn't got that far in my research, though I was aware that at some point the ballroom version had parted company with the Cuban Rumba. As I stated, the two bear such little resemblance to each other! I was just looking into it as a point of looking into the history of the Salsa. A lot of different dances came out of the Cuban Rumba which goes back to the late 1800s and the Son, which in turn evolved into the Salsa was just one. I think I said something along the lines that I totally got that a ballroom dance would be smoothed round the edges, but for me, the ballroom rumba has been honed into something else entirely. As you say, I think it is a red herring to even call it a Rumba, as it evolved from the Cha cha cha and not from the Cuban Rumba at all. But whatever it's provenance and history it is a dance that just never captures me

Tango - agree beyond the moon that the Charleston is all about fun and being a bit of a crowdpleaser, whereas Alex's was joyless and not a good watch in those boots and that outfit. Her technicality might have been on the money, but her performance levels of demonstrating joyful abandonment where severely lacking, and as you say, not deserving of the tens. I think the theme, again, may have been partly responsible - do you go all out flapper or are you prim and proper Meery Parp-innns? (As weapon of love Van Dyke would say...). Katya demonstrated that you have to firmly nail your colours to the mast to one or the other for it to work, rather than have a foot in both camps.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 26 Empty Re: SCD 2017 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:58 pm

I also love Moon River Allse - we had our first dance to it at my wedding eight years ago and I had a little tear because it was one of my Dad's favourites and I would have loved him to have been there but he'd already departed (it is ten years ago this year). So I know exactly what you mean.....................................now who danced to it in the yellow dress?? I remember it being used................will try to find out unless anyone else remembers??? Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:08 pm

Moon River - Sophie and Brendan

and Louis and Flavia

both did Waltzes to this (I think Louis' was actually a VW, despite what the video says. They did a Waltz to Puppy Love). No yellow frocks though - Sophie's was the most gorgeous froth of pale mauve the colour of sugared almonds and Falvia was in a wonderful charcoal over a white underneath concoction of swirliness with a white bodice with black trim.  We're missing some dresses like these...

But I wonder who did it in a yellow dress?

And also... different versions of the song for each of them...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Result:
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 pm

A lot of crabs on BBC1 tonight. Some on Blue Planet 2 and Alex was decidedly crab-like the way she moved across the dance floor with those gangly legs.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:34 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:Moon River - Sophie and Brendan
This was quite beautiful. Sophie was very good but more than that, I thought it showed what an exquisite dancer Brendan is. He really is wonderful at ballroom.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:35 pm

Davood danced so much better second time round, I enjoyed it more than yesterday. From the front I also liked Nadiya's dress much better second time round, I think it was the design at the back I didn't like so much.

Had to feel a bit sorry for Alex, she did look so gutted. I noticed Gorka wasn't exactly supportive when the red light went on, I don't get the feeling there's a 'friends forever' partnership there.

Very happy Mollie is through to the semis, though if she needs 12 hours a day to learn one dance, I'm not sure how she'll cope with two. Had to laugh at C/laudia's quick quip to them about spending half of their training hours kissing, that was funny in a way that the Kiss Kiss thing wasn't.

Really looking forward to the semis, but sad that the end is in sight.

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 pm

Davood drew the short straw this week. Landed with just about the toughest dance with music that hardly suited and he paid the price.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 33 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 29 ... 33  Next