Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week?

+6
diamondsandpearls
saxonsiren
jingle
mauveangel09
TANGOLERO
B4p
10 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week?

Post  Sid Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:57 pm

With any luck the Pasodooooblathon will be absolute carnage with them all trampling over one another.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week?

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:00 pm

The scorers with the musical choices this week are definitely Susan and Kevin. Great piece of music and well-suited to the American Smooth and this week Susan will need every inch of help she can get to survive. I still see her exiting.

It will be interesting to see how the ringer Alex deals with a Rumba. A slow and sensual dance when her strengths have come in the fiery and fast moving dances. This could prove a struggle for her.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:47 pm

jingle wrote:

I'm a bit apprehensive about the Alex rumba, though it'll be interesting to see if she can dance slowly,

Susan's routine is bound to have a nautical theme - I've got vague memories of someone (Kimberly Walsh maybe?) starting their dance from a giant oyster shell..wonder will they dust the cobwebs off that prop.  Though I'm also having visions of Susan and Kevin being dressed in stripy long-john swimming costumes and rubber rings.

I'm hoping Mollie's quickstep doesn't involve actual umbrellas with umbrella-ography.

Just want to add my advance protest about the fix-the-scoreboard-athon
Twisted Evil

lol! lol! lol! Re Susan and Kevin's attire, and umbrella-ography (but they are SO going to, aren't they....!)

Re the fix-the-scoreboard-athon - I know that is generally the case anyway, but I feel the paso particularly favours certain s.lebs, ie Joe, Alex, Davood, Debbie, even Gemma, and is going to do for Mollie and Susan. Although.... at lease Mollie gets decent paso music to try out for size....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:49 pm

Sid wrote:With any luck the Pasodooooblathon will be absolute carnage with them all trampling over one another.

Maybe like the bull run in Pamplona... With Alex as the bull.

One can only dream....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:54 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:
Maybe like the bull run in Pamplona... With Alex as the bull.  

One can only dream....

That's exactly the vision I had in mind lol!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: SCD 2017 which music and dance choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:The scorers with the musical choices this week are definitely Susan and Kevin. Great piece of music and well-suited to the American Smooth and this week Susan will need every inch of help she can get to survive. I still see her exiting.

It will be interesting to see how the ringer Alex deals with a Rumba. A slow and sensual dance when her strengths have come in the fiery and fast moving dances. This could prove a struggle for her.

Well observed CC - Ian just said as much on ITT.................... Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: SCD 2017 which music and dance choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:18 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

I don't think it is Kevin that has better musical taste then AJ - I think AJ draws shorter straws... It is clear that people on the production team (eg Jason and his merry band of people) choose the music, and all concepts thought up by the pros have to be run past them, and thus the pros are often not allowed their own ideas but have one foisted upon them.  I'm pretty sure, not-so-great-at-ballroom though she is didn't think, 'bing! I know, we have a song about heartbreak to dance to but we won't base out VW on the emotion of that song, we'll base it on how the lead singer looked at that time and the kind of music he usually sang...'(Surprised they didn't try to make Aston look 12....)

What I am not sure is how some pros draw the longer straws consistently....  I think it will take more than some homemade cookies to curry favour with the Theme Team...

The production team do have the say on the theme weeks D+P but a few years back Robin Windsor revealed that the pros put in 3 choices of tracks for each dance each year and the production team choose from these - I also get the impression that possibly (not based on evidence) the production team have more of a say with the new/inexperienced ones, and whilst there is the scope for drawing short straws (endless in some people's cases it seems) it does seem like some of the Pros really 'own' their dances in terms of the music and what they want from the concepts - the main three being A nton, Kevin and B rendan. I don't know whether it is a case of he who shouts the loudest gets???? Or whether some pros are just happy to get what they are given..................... I know that the mystery of this will never be fully revealed but it really fascinates me..................... Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: SCD 2017 Which music and dance choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Meant to say yesterday that Por Una Cabeza is my all time favourite track for the Argentine Tango - (I think I put it up on the If you were musical director thread last year) What a treat to be hearing it this week - although it also has a sort of sad ring to it too because I'll always associate it with the opening scene of Schindlers List.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Has it ever been used before on Strictly do you know mauve?
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Which Dance & Music Choices This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: SCD 2017 Which music and dance choices this week

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 pm

I thin k it might have been S id - I'm trying to think back........................

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm a decidely anti Rumba man in ballroom dance outside of the professional variety. That said, Mauveangels mention of the film; Schindler's List moved my mind on to another great Liam Nissen film, Michael Collins and it's soundtrack. Oh how I'd love to see a pro version of the Rumba done to this.(there are dozens of versions) I can almost see it beginning to end in my mind....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZAlG0xokS4
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:11 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:The production team do have the say on the theme weeks D+P but a few years back Robin Windsor revealed that the pros put in 3 choices of tracks for each dance each year and the production team choose from these - I also get the impression that possibly (not based on evidence)  the production team have more of a say with the new/inexperienced ones,  and whilst there is the scope for drawing short straws (endless in some people's cases it seems)  it does seem like some of the Pros really 'own' their dances in terms of the music and what they want from the concepts -  the main three  being A nton, Kevin and B rendan
I remember Brendan saying something like he liked to put modern music to tradtional dances, and that it would be boring if the same music was used for the same dances all the time. I think Housewives choice generally prefers the traditional approach, of the right rhythm for the right dance. Kevin I think is often bedazzled by a theme firs,t then theme music, and fits his routines around that.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 pm

You really do have to wonder how the musical choices and dances are allocated. Drawn out of a hat randomly? Selected by somebody in the production team? If it is the latter I think it is quite discerning. I mean dance and music given to perform to are massively important. A better way would be to let the pro dancers choose their musical choices pre-series.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Sid wrote:Has it ever been used before on Strictly do you know mauve?

Holly Valance & Artem

Tom Chambers & Camilla
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:19 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote: A better way would be to let the pro dancers choose their musical choices pre-series.
Far too sensible CC. It's what used to happen, but the system seems to have changed over the past 5 years
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 pm

B4p wrote:
Far too sensible CC. It's what used to happen, but the system seems to have changed over the past 5 years

Well the question then has to be asked why it has been changed and who now makes the decision? In ice dancing the competitors always choose their music for their main routine. That is how it should be here.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:17 am

Hmmm - I'm not convinced that the pros choose their music, despite what was said by Robin WIndsor a few years ago.  I'm sure it was how he described it THEN, but I don't get the feeling it is now.  I think that the pros may well pitch songs and ideas, but they don't necessarily get their way.  And I expect the newer ones get more of a 'helping hand' than the old stalwarts.  Janette said something on ITT which made it sound like the Aston debacle wasn't her choice - or at least not her choice of concept.

I think they should either let the pros choose - and yes, I am sure there will be pros who like to throw lots of newer stuff into the mix, but they should have a good feel for the dance and what is needed from a piece of music because they have such experience. As I have said, new stuff works very well, if chosen with the mood and essence of the dance in mind.  You only have to look at youtube videos of Fred et al doing their stuff with a current track over it - it can work incredibly well.  But it has to be chosen with enormous care, respect for the dance, and understanding of the dance's mood. You can;t just go 'Ooh, all the kids love Ed Sheeran - let's make sure we have one of his'... Some Ed Sheeran songs might work for some dances.  But they won't necessarily.  Just because they are in 3/3 timing doesn't mean it will accompany a ballroom Waltz well...

For example, I have a favourite song which is totally QS in timing (and I do a Diamonds version of the QS whenever it is on...) BUT, it is an angsty song about loss. So you can't use it for a ballroom QS because the mood is all wrong. QS is light and fluffy and about bright young things having a spiffing time.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:32 am

I think another problem for me, is that every week has become a theme week.

We have musical week coming up, but will it be much different from any other week? There's not so many new musicals appearing each year (except for La La Land which is sort of ironic). Some music from the newer musicals may not be suitable for the dances.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 am

B4p wrote:I think another problem for me, is that every week has become a theme week.

We have musical week coming up, but will it be much different from any other week? There's not so many new musicals appearing each year (except for La La Land which is sort of ironic). Some music from the newer musicals may not be suitable for the dances.

I agree.  Nearly every dance has a concept - which is really a theme. Joe and Katya's mad Salsa is a case in point - it was themed as 1990s rave... Which of course, is really the same as a Cuban street dance... They were dressed up in 90's rave gear (actually it was about 1987 for Joe and Bros era for Katya) just as if they were dancing in a week themed clubbing through the ages (or something...).

I have been looking back at my favourite dancers and the thing that strikes me is how themey the costumes are now. Kara, Sophie and Rachel had the most gorgeous dressed imagineable. I'm dure they are a joy to dress, but so are the female pros, but there are so few gorgeous dresses now, because they are all dressed up to go with some concept or story behind the dance.

Musicals week should be an amazing spectacular - so many great musicals out there that fit both the ballroom and latin dances.  Yes, they will ave ot recycle, but they are anyway.  Joanne and Ore's Singing in the rain was a triumph and sets the standard.  I also love Georgia and Gio's Chicago Charleston.  But there are musical n.umbers which have been chosen which were so inappropriate I instantly forgot them...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 am

In line with D & P's views (although she is a mere teenager really Very Happy ) the biggest problem, as ever, seems to be the age gap. How can an aged reprobate like me, who remembers The Desert Song, The Student Prince, South Pacific, Brigadoon, Oklahoma and West Side Story live, (did I mention I love musicals? ) share taste with a teenage screamer who is a musical expert because she/he has seen Mama Mia eight times at the cinema? The real answer (for me at least) is in the great and unforgetable song books of Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Rogers and Hammerstein, Bernstein  etc,etc. They and ballroom dance are as much a part of each other as strawberries and cream...But then again, did Beyonce Whatsit or Justin Bibandbrace make any of them? That is the relevant question. Somewhere along the way, a divide will occur. I can quite comfortably get along with Sinatra, Dean Martin and Ella and co for company...but I have grandsons and daughters. Even Christmas family gatherings are as painful as root canals when music is mentioned these days and my music collection is regarded as fodder for The Antiques Roadshow. My views on their musial choices are not fit to air out loud or on a public forum. affraid

lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:50 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:
For example, I have a favourite song which is totally QS in timing (and I do a Diamonds version of the QS whenever it is on...) BUT, it is an angsty song about loss. So you can't use it for a ballroom QS because the mood is all wrong. QS is light and fluffy and about bright young things having a spiffing time.
I'm intrigued to know which song it is D&P.... scratch

Actually I think there is more that unites us than divides us over music with regards to the 'yoof' -whilst there is always some music that the oldies will hate ( otherwise how are they supposed to rebel/ have something to call their own) they too always come back to classic songs. For instance I'm an 80s girl but I love big band because my dad does and I love the carpenters because my mum did. And I love all the classic musicals just because they're timeless. Conversely I also like a fair bit of the music today, I refuse to switch to Radio 2 because that's for oldies even though I'm way too old for the target demographic of Radio 1. There is still some great music coming through that will stand the test of time. And I believe the absolute gods like Berlin, Porter Rogers and Hammerstein er al will always find a place.

allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:43 pm

B4p wrote:

Holly Valance & Artem

Tom Chambers & Camilla

Thankies B4 - I remember Holly and Artem's now, and her going round and round on a stool!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:37 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote: Conversely I also like a fair bit of the music today, I refuse to switch to Radio 2 because that's for oldies even though I'm way too old for the target demographic of Radio 1.
I think I converted to Radio 2 about 35 years ago and I certainly wasn't an oldie then! It was great to reconnect with the old Radio 1 DJ's that were familiar. I also couldn't stand the rap-crap, techno, hi-hop junk that Radio 1 kept playing at that time, where being able to play instruments or even sing were never seen to be a problem. There are so many local radio stations with a great choice in music nowadays thank goodness, but I must stand up and confess to being 'Popmaster' quiz addict on the Ken Br uce Radio 2 show.

Last edited by B4p on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Actually B4 I will admit that when me and the hubster make the long drive up to my dads or home again we always listen to Popmaster - usually somewhere around Newark! - and sometimes I do brilliantly and sometimes I'm rubbish. I do enjoy the occasional foray back to Steve Wright on the afternoon whilst cruising down the M40!!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:57 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
I'm intrigued to know which song it is D&P.... scratch

Actually I think there is more that unites us than divides us over music with regards to the 'yoof' -whilst there is always some music that the oldies will hate ( otherwise how are they supposed to rebel/ have something to call their own) they too always come back to classic songs. For instance I'm an 80s girl but I love big band because my dad does and I love the carpenters because my mum did. And I love all the classic musicals just because they're timeless. Conversely I also like a fair bit of the music today, I refuse to switch to Radio 2 because that's for oldies even though I'm way too old for the target demographic of Radio 1. There is still some great music coming through that will stand the test of time. And I believe the absolute gods like Berlin, Porter Rogers and Hammerstein er al  will always find a place.

I'll come to the song in a minute Alls...

I agree that there is more that unites us wiht music than divides us, whatever our age. I think more so now in fact. Now that you don't have to go down to Our Price and rely on TOTP and John Peel for guidance on how to spend your money, but can sign up to spotify for a monthly fee of less than one CD used to cost, trawl Youtube and a myriad of other sites where people are posting music from all eras, young people have so much more access to music from different eras and different genres. I know so many young people who love music from the 60s, or who love the old MGM musicals of the 40s and 50s. Unless your grandad had a great collection from the 1940s and your Mum played her stuff from the 70s, you only heard whatever was in the charts at the time. Music is a very personal thing, so there are loads of younger people who only listen to very current music, but there are so many more who have a much broader taste and love discovering artists old and new. A 19 year old volunteer had very similar playlist to me - and we were able to recommend other artists to each other. And that is not because I am down with the kids musically speaking (I'm a bit stuck in the 90's though I do like to discover new music), but because she listens to such a wide range of stuff and we coincide. My mid twenties friend ADORES all the old Fred and Ginger films - not only because of the dancing but because of the wonderful music too. As I say, the 90s is my era, but I too love music from the 30s and 40s and beyond. I had to discover them for myself because my grandparents weren't around when I was young (or at least, didn't play music..) My dad loved classical and trad Jazz and my Mum liked Judy Collins and the Seekers and Fairport Convention. Although all of those have a place in my collection, none of the mem really hit the spot with me. My point being that I discovered and loved music from a bygone era all by myself. And young people are still doing that; In fact I think they are doing it more than when I was younger because of the easier access.

I listen to Radio 6 because it's playlist is more eclectic and because there is more opportunity for listeners to get their music played. Its not the music I don't like on Radio One - it is the presenters.

Now, my tune... I'm a little reluctant to share lest I shall be judged harshly for thinking that this has the right tempo for a QS. It's a bit too rocky, and as I say, is all about loss (written about the time the songwriter's father died). But here goes... (please be kind! And best listened to without the video to distract) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFM0pUn4dcA
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next