Dancing On Ice 2018!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Dancing On Ice 2018!

Post  TANGOLERO on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:30 pm

jingle wrote: Jake seems to be out in front now, though I wish he hadn't done that headbanger thing, I loathe it!

Count me in on that Jingle. Who on earth ever thought that up for ice dance is beyond belief. What on earth does it prove except that the time is ever shortening when someone has a serious accident doing it. It's crazy and proves nothing about skill on skates. Public opinion and baying thrill-seekers need to get a grip. I'm no prude, I can remember actually being young and as daft as they come, but never had a desire to dice with chance where my life was involved. Crackers....
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and reality. Lost in Austen

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:35 pm

So, the public vote before the contestants have even skated? How crazy can it get and why bother? Not really a worry, they'll all be gone home soon. Pity, but for the result it was a decent entertainment tonight and they all did well. Liked the Disney On Ice troupe and some fine pro skating. Looking forward to T & D skating in the final but not really bothered who wins.. It will probably be between the guy who topped it tonight and Max for me, but que sera. All a bit second rate compared to the old style Dancing on Ice.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:10 pm

I thought it was a bit of an odd show tonight. Liked the idea of a fairytale theme, and the themed costumes were nice,  but most of the music choices didn't seem to have any bearing on the themes whatsoever. All felt a bit random. Also I didn't think Jake merited a row of 9.5s, his routine looked quite stoppy-starty.

But the real clanger of the night in my eyes was the skate off, I couldn't believe Kem got unanimous judges' votes after appearing to forget a lift and then almost flooring his partner. Alex wasn't a particular favourite of mine, but I think he was cheated out of a place in the semi finals.

Anyhow, I guess there's only two weeks left and I'll miss the show when it's finished, but I do agree Tango, it's been a little second rate compared to earlier years.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:59 pm

I stopped watching 2 weeks ago Tbh. .. Just something not right with show and the judges decisions re skate off
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Re: Dancing on Ice 2018

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:02 pm

jingle wrote:I thought it was a bit of an odd show tonight. Liked the idea of a fairytale theme, and the themed costumes were nice,  but most of the music choices didn't seem to have any bearing on the themes whatsoever. All felt a bit random. Also I didn't think Jake merited a row of 9.5s, his routine looked quite stoppy-starty.

I also felt it was a bit of an odd show too! Not sure if I enjoyed it that much after feeling that things had improved over the last couple of weeks. I felt the themes were a bit abstract and in some cases trying to be a bit like an SCD Hallowe'en Show rather than fairytales, and the music was largely dire and did nothing to help those who are perhaps not so good at acting amongst the contestants.

I didn't have a stand out favourite last night, and again, agree with you Jingle that Jake's routine seemed very much figure skating and huge lifts - very good but not with a wow factor for me. Max was really good again - and although I get where the judges were coming from on wanting something more 'dark' I just love his posture and presence and I think he is a great dancer. I was impressed at how he managed to do something so good with a new partner and he really deserved not to be in the skate-off this week - so I was happy with this.

Brooke - well still not my personal favourite. I felt they fell back on what was admittedly some great acting this week. I'm starting to think she is a shoe-in for the final as I'm sure the production team are desperate that one of the girls will make it through. I probably would have had her in the skate-off last night, but she is obviously very popular. I still have my suspicions that they have had extra coaching because the improvement was so sudden and dramatic - I'm not saying anything is wrong in it and fair play to them - It's just an observation.

So to Alex and Kem. I really liked Alex in the early weeks of the contest but for me he has not really realized his potential and I don't think the routine last night did him any favours because it was so difficult to fathom out what they were trying to portray and the guy is not an actor. I really liked Kem's main routine - I enjoyed the other slow routine that he did a few weeks ago as he seemed a lot more 'in control' than what he is with the faster routines. In terms of the skate-off I thought Alex did improve and Kem looked decidedly shaky in parts - and therein lies the problem with the DOI skate-off to me. Because they have to do a completely different routine it allows for a potentially different conclusion than if they repeated their original routine a la SCD. I think the judges were voting on the first routines last night, which I think they've done several other weeks and it is not supposed to be the point of it. Rather than muddying the waters, why not just repeat the first routine?

Whilst I think that the show has got a lot wrong - the skate-off formula being one of them - I do enjoy listening to the judges on this show who are largely constructive and focussed - I also really like the idea of scores first and then the critique. It certainly hasn't been a patch on what the series used to be but for me it's still a pleasant way to to fill a gap on early Sunday evening!!

Keep Warm everyone !!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:26 pm

Update: So a really good skater who fully deserves to be in next weeks final leaves in favour of another less talented soap star? I really shouldn't be surprised, and just when I thought the equalibrium had been restored. ( This space is where a less gentlemanly, er, gentleman, would insert some less than angelic utterances) .....

Lows...see above.

Highs, great lighting and a splendid display from our Olympic ice dancers plus some decent quality skating from the last four competitors (No, props or wires this series; not sure if this is a good or bad thing) but a less entertaining level than Ray Quinn and Hayley Tamaddon etc of past shows. Hoping T & D will sparkle next week, then that's it for another year..or so.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Hi all

Thoroughly enjoyable semi-final show last night with some excellent and entertaining skating. For me I felt that we actually saw some real Ice Dance last night and some real emotion was flying about - from contestants and judges!

I'm with you Mr T - I would have really liked Kem to have gone through to the final - I think Brooke has really improved over the weeks and did 2 good skates last night but for me she is not up to the standard of the other competitors. Kem's first routine was a bit scrappy and uncontrolled, as we have seen from him in the fast n umbers, but then a country and western theme is never going to be elegant and I think his second routine was excellent - showing off that he has been versatile as the judges said. I know that he hasn't done so many of the 'big lifts' like the other two guys but I felt that in the second routine he and his pro really 'danced' together. However, I think the die was cast for Kem last week when he appeared in the skate off and when he found himself up against Max this week. Brooke seems to have really got the public vote - combination of girl power, last girl standing, Corrie votes, her down to earth personality etc etc etc.

Delighted that Max got through and it was no contest really with the skate off routines but in the main show I preferred their first routine to the second if I'm honest. The second routine just seemed like a series of lifts and figures, so a bit disappointed with that but I do think he is a great dancer and I love his presence. Great stuff from Jake - but probably the first time I have seen him under pressure and making an error in the first routine.

I also agree with Mr T - I have missed the props night and the wire routines. I know they used to do the wire - which I absolutely loved - in the final, but they haven't mentioned it this time. I get the feeling that this series has been a few weeks shorter than in the past, so I don't think they've had so much time to put these things in, which is a shame as I think they made it worth watching. It was good that another challenge was included last night - and I think the solo skate was a good one to put in and a good way of showcasing how far they have come but I would have preferred the second skate to have had something in it - like props or wire to vary things a bit - as it felt a bit samey, added on to the fact that two couples had to do yet another routine with their skate offs.

Loved the Olympic ice dancers - bring on the final now...................... Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am

Enjoyed the semi final, especially the Olympians (though watching their dance made me realise how tiny the DOI rink is, they did that routine for the olympics where there was space to go really fast).

Again, very annoyed that they open the voting at the start of the show, a pure popularity contest and not reliant on quality of skating. I thought it was a shame about Brooke not being in the skate off, which must mean she's either 1st or 2nd in public vote. Worst case scenario is that she wins, which would make the series a bit of a joke. I guess the producers will be doing all they can to promote Jake, who seems to be the main contender.

I really liked Kem's second skate, for once he was fluid and graceful. Also really liked Jake's second routine, but wish Ale wouldn't choreograph so many lifts for Max. Can't remember either of Brooke's routines now. I still haven't really got over Perri leaving in the early weeks, I think she would've progressed quicker than Brooke and been equal to the boys.

Looking forward to the T&D choreographed routines, and to their skate.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 pm

I'm glad it's all over in a way. The whole show format has been a bit out of kilter for me. The voting before skating takes any real skill levels out of the equation and makes it the most popularity contest associated with dance,ever. Max should have been in the final (good as the Brooke girl eventually turned out) but then, Kem should also have made the final. The right guy won fortuanately, and skill was rewarded in the end despite the teeny twitchers feverish desires otherwise. Great performances from all three in all honesty, and a good final show with incredible T&D capping it off with a fine skating performance. Plusses have been the lighting effects and the judging turning out better than I forecast. In summary, the best way to enjoy the show is to moan about everything, get every forecast wrong and be determined not to enjoy it all. Or just switch if off. Roll on Strictly.... lol!
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:00 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:In summary, the best way to enjoy the show is to moan about everything, get every forecast wrong and be determined not to enjoy it all.
lol!
How true Tango!

I enjoyed the final much more than the rest of the series. Partly the addition of T&D's routine (crikey, just looked up wiki and Jayne is 60, Christopher is 59), but there was also something extra sparkly about the show. I'm glad that Jake won it,  because I think he was the best skater from the outset. However I don't really think he was the best dancer, Max seemed much better at synchronicity, and Brooke I think was the least inhibited dancer.

Anyhow, a few random thoughts on the final...

Just wanted to clip those feathers off from Hollys dress
Torvill and Dean ....wow! Goosebumps.
Some lovely staging and lighting, especially for the T&D routine.
I was a bit confused by Brooke's first Bollywood themed dance, because the music had so little to do with the theme.
Didn't really enjoy Jake's breakdancing on the ice, he looked all arms and legs.  
Jake's repeated routine, the disco one, was my least favourite of his, but I loved Max's and Brooke's repeated dances.
Really enjoyed both boleros, particularly the paso theme choreographed by Matej
Brooke's comments at the end, though meant to be funny, sounded a little sour (about second being best, and asking if Jake's win was a fix)

Well, I know I grumbled quite a bit about the show, but I'm sort of sad that it's over now. Glad to hear that it's coming back on next year. I think one of the biggest weaknesses of this year was that so many of the contestants were absolute beginners and there wasn't time to reach a quality standard. Maybe need a few ringers next year.

As you say Tango, roll on Strictly....
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi Jingle and Mr T

I also really enjoyed the Final last night - I thought it was pacey and with some great routines overall.    I loved T+D's performance, it just shows that they have still got it.    I told Mr Mauve that they were around 60 in age and he just didn't believe me at first - it is amazing when you think about it.  They must have had one of the longest if not the longest career in ice dance.  

Jingle - you mention about the series being marred by the very basic level of some of the skaters at the beginning and I see where you are coming from - in fact it might make me reconsider my views about 'ringers' a bit - because they do drive up the standard, there is no doubt.   My feelings are that I didn't mind the contestants being complete beginners but more that I felt the early weeks were spoiled by poor choreography and routines that were almost the same each week   (Lemar) and goodness I had completely forgotten Stephanie..................  Perhaps the series could have also been a few weeks longer as there didn't seem to be much time for the skills to be developed and for the celebs to improve - there seemed to be one group at the top and one group at the bottom - no-one  had a real breakthrough - only Brooke.

So as to last night's show......................I'm soooo glad that Jake won in the end -  I had wanted Kem (who incidentally Mr Mauve seems to think is the image of Daniel Riccardo Very Happy)  in the final and I had wanted Max in the final two.  I felt that although he was a big powerful guy he could dance well and had a sort of graceful presence on the ice which I can't quite  quantify. Although it was an interesting concept I didn't think that Brooke's first routine was up to the standard of the others, but having said all that, I had to completely revise my view as I enjoyed her second skate and really enjoyed her bolero routine.

So for me, despite the gremlins the series improved as it went along - I would definitely get rid of the 'practice rink' and Ashley's brother (sorry) and I am heartily glad that SCD does not allow voting before the performances and I hope they never do - it just makes a mockery of the whole thing.  However, I very much enjoyed the judges commentaries on DOI and found them refreshing after what I feel has become very self-indulgent 'performances' from the SCD panel.

Finally - I've really enjoyed our conversations over the last few weeks and totally agree with your sentiments......
Roll on SCD!!!!!!! cheers cheers

Speak to you soon
Love from
Mauveangel
x

Last edited by mauveangel09 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3