Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  Twirlie on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Moova 12 wrote:Hi everyone
Hi Moova 12
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:34 pm

All out of sync this week (me, not the show)due to football starting at 5-30 and thus missing half the action. I watched the first half this morning and, in fairness I have to agree with almost everybody that the show itself worked well for Movie themes. I don't agree with keep re-hashing scenes that are reliant on yuckity (The Lift, nothing more than a "ready steady go" weightlifting item that just interrupts the rhythm flow. Nothing wrong with it in the film, I loved it and still have two D.V.D versions to this day, but not in a ballroom dance, and that played to death Richard Gere schmuck with the flowers). Both films could provide better dance, "Johnny's Mambo being a good example) . Ah, okay, on with it.

Not going to analyse the lot, just go along with the obvious:  Seann and Katya's Paso:  Dance of the night for me too, and I totally agree it could achieve Hall of Fame status. How I'd love to see that done to a true Paso-Doble music track. That said, it was great. A very pleasant surprise.

Kate and Aljaz's Foxtrot: Would love Kate to get at least to Blackpool and maybe further. Aljaz is my favourite male pro. The foxtrot, when done well, is scintilating and again I'd love to see it in tie and tails/evening frock mode.

Faye and Giovanni's Quickstep: breathtaking has been said, and I'll stick with that. Fast, loose and faultless. Lovely performance.
Another ballroom classic.
!
Ashley and Pasha's Salsa: As someone has already said, worthy of a Showdance. Ashley can't help being good, and good she undoubtedly is. Not her fault she was asked on the show, or that dance isn't new to her. Who would turn it down? She's to blame for nothing. I've always liked her personality.

Stacey and Kev Jive. How could you fault it?  Manic and all out  in the true jive/rock and roll spirit. Kev's a real jumping bean and he got Stacy cooking too.

Danny John Jules. Unusual Paso and a tough choreography, but excellently done. Music was odd but worked okay with the stacatto routine. Quite liked that. Definitely not a dance off candidate.

Graeme. Plenty of an improvement all round and was pleased for him. He'll have his moments. Hope Oti doesn't overdo it with lifts to disguise footwork lackings, Graeme feet are pretty decent.

Not over enamoured with the gym shoe stuff in a salsa, but nothing bad to fault. Lee's cha-cha..er....foggy! Wish Tess would stop using "adorable" expressions on grown ups. She did the same last year with A.J.  It's so demeaning.

Whover put Joe in those pipe-cleaner leggings wants a word having with them. With the red bits he looked like a dancing spaghetti Bolognese imitation. He's a real trier and looks like he's really enjoying himself.

Think that's about it and I'm not even going there with voting. I'm not looking forward to Hullo Eena week already...On with it.
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:
Ashley and Pasha's Salsa: As someone has already said, worthy of a Showdance. Ashley can't help being good, and good she undoubtedly is. Not her fault she was asked on the show, or that dance isn't new to her. Who would turn it down? She's to blame for nothing. I've always liked her personality.

Embarassed Embarassed  I feel as I've been put in my place rather (not in a bad way TANGOLERO) as I've been rather agin Ashley from the start. You're right of course. Who would turn the opportunity down - other than those of us with arthritic knees. You're right - she's to blame for nothing herself. If there is any blame (and I'm not sure blame's the right word) it would lie with whoever in the BBC decided to invite her on to the show. They always want to invite on someone who's got ability so there is entertainment from good performances as well as the abysmal ones, but I think they didn't quite realise just how good she'd be. I know nothing of her personality as I know nothing of the Pussy Cat Dolls other than their existence. It's been fairly easy to latch on to the personality of the others for me, but not her, I don't know why. Embarassed Embarassed
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:23 pm

As wonderful as the Harry Potter theme was in the Main Show, so ghastly was the opening of the Results Show. The music was excruciating. How could you crucify such a wonderful song so. As to the dancing, well it was ok – and the Synchronized Swimming was… wet. I suppose Lee v Charles with Lee out is the correct result but in this household we would rather have kept Lee and let Charles go. More interesting. I presume Claudia didn’t speak to Joe and Diane, Danny and Amy, and Seann and Katya because the show was short of time. I hope they were warned. I also thought Lee looked much better dancing in just the t-shirt.
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2018 Tangos Little bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Well - SCD never fails to surprise.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I was surprised that Charles and Karen were in the DO (given that being in Casualty gives him a slightly higher profile than some of the others in the show) then even more surprised that they were kept over Lee. Whilst the lifts were lovely in their routine, based solely on the DO I felt that the feet and body work were all wrong . I so wanted to like them as I have liked everything that they have done so far but the DO performance was not better than Lee and Nadiya -even though I am not a Nadiya fan I really thought that their DO performance was really good and obviously even Shirley thought so!!!!
Due to the high standard this week it was difficult to work out who would be in the DO - I had thought possibly Lauren or Katie or even Vick.

However, it is what it is...……….the rich lottery that is the first few weeks of SCD!!!! Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 pm

Had a really busy weekend and have nothing more to add to what's been said already. I hope the producers look at why this movie week was head and shoulders above others and replicate it for Halloween, which I fear we're stuck with.
For me it worked because generally the dances fitted the songs ( I still have my doubts about Paso to greatest showman) and they tried some more recent ones instead of rehashing the old faves.
I'm surprisingly enjoying the ringers this year, especially Faye. I loved Ashley's "Baby" but much as I appreciate watching her, I don't think I would vote for her because as someone pointed out, its already like watching a pro. Definitely some strong auditions to be in the west end next year!

For those that dipped this week, I'd say it was because they were doing what they should have done in week two, eg a ballroom for Joe, and has exposed their weaknesses. Plenty of room for improvements, bring it on!

I think I'm nearly ready to group them into pre Blackpool, post Blackpool exit and finalists, but the middlies are so close, we might get a few shock DOs. As Mauve said, all part of the early fun.

allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:23 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:Well - SCD never fails to surprise.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
However, it is what it is...……….the rich lottery that is the first few weeks of SCD!!!! Very Happy

I think Mauve, that this particular series is slightly more tightly rolled than most previous years. Apart from Susanna, who never really impressed at all, and Katie whose main problems seemed to be her nerves and self confidence rather than her ability, there are no blatantly obvious duffers, no John Sargents' no Tugboat Annies' or Russell Grants' and no Olympic athletes of the Louis Smith variety. indeed it almost seems like the contestants (maybe Graeme apart due to his height) have been passed through a common market suitability template like dancing bananas. There's no such restriction elsewhere as the fickle G.B.P are involved, loved only be the bookmakers who adore their ability to confuse and wreak havoc in the voting and the betting odds. I'm even less inclined than ever to predict a winner. I reckon it'll take somebody brave to do that .... Wink
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:51 am

Well, this is the honesty thread so, if I’m being really honest.....

I did not like the singing in the rain routine, more like mud wrestling. I mean, why didn’t they just ask Ore and Joanne for some advice?

And well done Karen. You’ve taken another partner with great potential and put him in the bottom two already.  Bit of advice - try not to look so bored when the camera is on you, it spoils the j.ourney.  Just pretend you really like him and you’re having a great time.

And speaking of the bottom two, I was totally with Shirley, Lee smashed it.  Lucky escape for Charles.
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:37 am

Hi Movva x
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Oh I love coming back to this forum after a few hours and finding a whole diversity of comments  Very Happy  Still on a high from movie week, although not really looking forward to poor Lee on ITT tonight. I totally agree with Mauve (and Shirley) I think Lee was the better performer in the dance off, and should've been saved.

In terms of the ringer debate I'm reconciled to the fact that we always get at least one, but I totally agree with Twirlie, I'm not sure the BBC realised just how good Ashley really is when they picked her. I've wracked my brains but can't remember any c.eleb being quite so good at such an early stage.

I agree with Tango about the tightly bunched middling group. It's hard to rank them, although some weaknesses are beginning to show, eg Joe, Graeme and Ranj look strong in latin but poor in ballroom, whereas Lauren and Katie both look more comfortable with ballroom than latin. So I guess the all-rounders like Vick and Stacey have a greater chance to survive dance-offs at this stage.

The singing in the rain pro-dance wasn't just a bit of a muddle, but rather disturbingly I found myself worrying about the practicalities. Such as the waste of time and effort for the hair and make-up people when the dancers ended up like drowned rats. And having recently put a pond in our garden, I couldn't help worrying about all those stilettos making puncture holes in their butyl liner. Oh dear, I must be getting grumpy!! Evil or Very Mad

By contrast, I loved the Harry Potter routine and have re-watched several times. Both Janette and AJ are doing Strictly youtube vlogs this year, and they've shown some really interesting footage of how the pro dances are put together. My goodness, I never realised the amount of staging and technical work which goes into a short dance. Even their wands came in individually labelled boxes.

Hi Moova!! Have you any favourites yet? I remember you'd said you liked cricket, so wonder if you're supporting Graeme. I thought his spiderman charleston was superb, it looks like he's having a ball.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:33 pm

I did write more than hi but some gremlins got in! I love cricket but Graeme isn’t one of my faves. I have binged watched as we have been away for a month
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Did it again!
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:24 pm

jingle wrote:
The singing in the rain pro-dance wasn't just a bit of a muddle, but rather disturbingly I found myself worrying about the practicalities. Such as the waste of time and effort for the hair and make-up people when the dancers ended up like drowned rats. And having recently put a pond in our garden, I couldn't help worrying about all those stilettos making puncture holes in their butyl liner. Oh dear, I must be getting grumpy!! Evil or Very Mad

I wonder if they filmed the wet part of the dance at the very end of the Main Show evening. Messing up hair and make-up wouldn't matter then and of course it wouldn't be live.
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:24 pm

First of all, poor Moova! That's happened to me a few times (though not on this forum) and it is the most teeth-grindingly frustrating thing on this planet. I hope you manage to post some sparkling musings on your next go...

SO!!! The results...

Well, I was agin Lee and afor Charles, so you would be making a reasonable assumption that I thought Charles should get it on the dance off. But actually, no... No. And thrice NO!

Lee danced for his life. He put everything into that final performance and it showed. He danced so much better the second time round. And Charles was still... meh Neutral Karen, as Fifty I think it was, said, she has a tendency to look slightly like a wet weekend in Morecambe and she looked grey and washed out in that dreadful dress, so she didn't lift what was for me a pretty flat dance. On second viewing, i thought the end choreography, with the lifts was actually quite elegant and sophisticated and Charles did manage them very well, but overall I thought that Charles was just walking through it. Almost not bothering. He may have been hiding nerves and dread, but it didn't look like it. Considering he is an actor there was very little emotion or connection between the two of them - in contrast to say Vick and Gratz in that lovely Waltz and Faye and Gio in their VW, neither of whom are actors.

So Lee woz robbed on the night. Possibly not in general, but based on that dance off, Shirley called it right. Bit cross Evil or Very Mad

In other news....

Singing in the Rain. Hated this less than the rest of you, but I am noticing some moves which are turning up again and again in every dance - you could call it signature (and I'm aware that there are different choreographers, but whoever did this week has done some of those moves in other dances), but it is getting a bit tedious and generic. Arlene Philips was the same to be honest, if you look at old videos of Hot Gossip.... Anyway, didn't hate it - knew it wasn't going to be the original of Singing in the Rain, so was forewarned, but didn't love it either. As for the paddling pool sequence - um.. why? Added precisely zilch to the number and just made me giggle - it was so silly. The Harry Potter one I was similarly underwhelmed by, though I could see and appreciate a certain complexity. I quite liked the books but was never struck on the films.

Gladys Knight. Legend. Amazing. Spoilt as ever by twirling couples. Just do a pro dance with 3 couples, THEN have the guest singer. Do not combine. I have told the producers this a number of times and they still aren't listening. No playtime for you producers, and go and sit in the naughty corner until you manage to locate your ears and use them. Rolling Eyes

Forgot to mention re Saturday's show: TESS IN REALLY NICE DRESS SHOCKER!!! cheers cheers cheers
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi Moova! Same thing happened to me, I thought it was because one of the mogs tried to help...

Just a comment re the whole Seann/Katya saga. What a shame that everyone is now talking about the scandal and not the dance. I fear some rather big backlash. Sean's now ex has tweeted re his controlling behaviour and has dumped him taking the cat. Not a fan of hanging ones smalls out in public but she called him out very eloquently - here's a link if you'd care to read...https://twitter.com/beckshumps/status/1049378454028861441?s=21

I don't really see how they can carry on this week....however much auntie beeb tries to ignore the elephant in the room, I think it would be courting disaster to have them on a live show. Imagine if there was heckling and booing? It could damage the show's reputation as a family show.
Obvs the whole social media thing magnifies everything, but still, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a short announcement that he has left...they will want to preserve the show at all costs and in truth he wasn't exactly a front runner
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 am

Omg, I had no idea!

Poor Neil Crying or Very sad
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:12 am

To be honest I think Charles has the potential to be a far better dancer than Lee and I think that is what swayed three of the judges along with those neat lifts. Lee was mighty unlucky to be voted off and unlucky to even be in the dance-off as was Charles. For me I'd have put Katie P in the dance-off with maybe even Lauren. It really is intriguing this year as there are no real dross left around even after the first exitee.

Just to add that Lee didn't seem too crestfallen at his exit whereas Charles looked shocked to be in the dance-off. That tells me he is slightly more bitten by the Strictly bug than Lee.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:29 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Just to add that Lee didn't seem too crestfallen at his exit whereas Charles looked shocked to be in the dance-off. That tells me he is slightly more bitten by the Strictly bug than Lee.

Sorry Cal, I disagree. When the lights where still on Lee looked terrified that he would be in the bottom two.  You could see he was really willing it not to happen.  At the same time he was kind of expecting it (i don;t think he has the greatest of self-esteem) and so when the it was clear it was him in the dance off he was prepared for it and resolved to fight his corner. And he came out all guns blazing - he really put all his heart and soul into it.  He really performed to his very best.

Yes, Charles was shell-shocked (the first glimpse of smugness that was apparent to others on here), but I think he felt that he was a shoe-in over Lee (more smugness...)  The resulting last dance was bland at best.

The judges supposedly choose on the dance performed in the dance off and nothing else.  Charles probably has more potential to go a further distance than Lee, but Lee danced the best in the dance off.  Even Our Shirl thought so.  And as I say, I was very afor Charles (HUGE crush!) and agin Lee (couldn't get a handle on his personality - almost like he has AHDD or something similar - focus wanders off as he is being talked to).  

But fair's fair, and Lee was better than Charles in that dance off.
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:50 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
Just a comment re the whole Seann/Katya saga. What a shame that everyone is now talking about the scandal and not the dance. I fear some rather big backlash. Sean's now ex has tweeted re his controlling behaviour and has dumped him taking the cat. Not a fan of hanging ones smalls out in public but she called him out very eloquently - here's a link if you'd care to read...https://twitter.com/beckshumps/status/1049378454028861441?s=21

I agree about the "saga" description,Allsewn,  and also your "smalls in  public comment (more so with the latter) , but personally, where on earth are we heading? What have they actually done to cause such a fandango ( shared a kiss in public? and been seen by a snoop, stalking voyeur photographer on the make for money alone) and whose business is any of it apart from both of them and their respective partners? I find the whole thing so very typical an example of today's misguided priorities. They're both adults and know the consequences of cheating a partner, the rest is pure sensationalism by a gossip-hungry media. Shall we have a postal vote, proceeds to be shared between the show organisers and the Post Office? Ridiculous and nothing whatsoever to do with dance (mind you, the programme itself is beginning to fall into that category). affraid  

Another example of lunacy over-reaction in today's paper: A certain football manager raised a derisory little finger at a sport's journalist and now an hold me take me committee are involved to see if malpractise occurred and he could lose his job....Come on F.f.s! Grow up. I never used to agree with the expression "Get a life", but it seems quite relevant in this case.

Evil or Very Mad
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:04 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Sorry Cal, I disagree. When the lights where still on Lee looked terrified that he would be in the bottom two.  You could see he was really willing it not to happen.  At the same time he was kind of expecting it (i don;t think he has the greatest of self-esteem) and so when the it was clear it was him in the dance off he was prepared for it and resolved to fight his corner. And he came out all guns blazing - he really put all his heart and soul into it.  He really performed to his very best.

Yes, Charles was shell-shocked (the first glimpse of smugness that was apparent to others on here), but I think he felt that he was a shoe-in over Lee (more smugness...)  The resulting last dance was bland at best.

The judges supposedly choose on the dance performed in the dance off and nothing else.  Charles probably has more potential to go a further distance than Lee, but Lee danced the best in the dance off.  Even Our Shirl thought so.  And as I say, I was very afor Charles (HUGE crush!) and agin Lee (couldn't get a handle on his personality - almost like he has AHDD or something similar - focus wanders off as he is being talked to).  

But fair's fair, and Lee was better than Charles in that dance off.

End of the day I wouldn't have had either in the dance-off but there you have it. Lee was unfortunate to go - there you have it. You have ringers in it - there you have it. The vagaries of Strictly.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:59 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Omg, I had no idea!

Poor Neil Crying or Very sad

I find it interesting that Neil's family - sister, niece and mother - have all tweeted love and support for Katya. There was some very hard comment about Seann and Katya from a guy on Lorraine the other day. Neil's mum made a very pointed comment to the show about "throwing the first stone".

So the strictly curse has struck again. So what. It's not as if it's a #metoo situation is it? Is it?
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Twirlie wrote:
There was some very hard comment about Seann and Katya from a guy on Lorraine the other day.
I wonder if this was the same (Lorraine programme regular) who was giving Alexandra weekly grief last year.

I was sorry to see Lee go. He didn't get the votes so that's that I suppose, but I thought he had potential, performance skills and natural rhythm. Every time I see Charles I think, I wonder how he'd have fared with Luba instead of Karen. Backstage gossip still have the Clifton's fighting backstage. I wonder if they'll both be employed next season.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'A little bit of honesty'thread

Post  mauveangel09 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Not sure whether there have been any further developments in the 'saga' as I have been out all day and it was resoundingly not mentioned on ITT - but I must admit my first reaction was a bit selfish in that I was thinking if they pulled out I would no longer see any of the Katya's amazing choreography this season - but on the other hand, as someone else has said, I don't think Seann is destined for the latter stages of the contest anyway.

As fifty has commented - one feels sorry for Neil in all this - but come on people, if you are going to 'mess about' and you are part of the one of the highest profile TV shows in the country, don't do it on a street in public!!! No No Rolling Eyes

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:59 pm

A stream of vitriolic anger on Twitter against Katya. Didn't realise there was so many 'high horses' available for the morally outraged. Mad
The tabloids are determined to put up pictures of the Strictly dancers in compromising situations every year. They're not the first, or I'm sure the last. A catalogue of silliness, a gift for the paps, but other couple's private lives are not my business. I only hope it doesn't adversely affect their scores this weekend.

Last edited by B4p on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:17 pm

B4p wrote:A stream of vitriolic anger on Twitter against Katya. Didn't realsie there was so many 'high horses' available for the morally outraged. Mad
The tabloids are determined to put up pictures of the Strictly dancers in compromising situations every year. They're not the first, or I'm sure the last. A catalogue of silliness, a gift for the paps, but other couple's private lives are not my business. I only hope it doesn't adversely affect their scores this weekend.

I think you can lay odds it will B4p. High horses are the latest outrage transport for idle minds and empty heads.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next