Go down

Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  B4p on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Found the scores. Move over Sherlock, there's a new kid in town! Suspect
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:09 pm

fiftynotout wrote:Having pondered the Ashley question for a while, the answer has finally come to me.  She lacks humility.  That might be the wrong word but if the opposite is cockiness then she has too much of that.
So, even though I can see exactly where Tangolero is coming from when he says he enjoys her routines and watching her perform, for me she just doesn’t work with the spirit of the show.  I don’t mind there being different skill levels but please don’t act like a pro unless you are one.

Oh dear Fifty, I'm getting serious dislike vibes for Ashley here? She is a pro in entertainment and I honestly don't think Ashley is affected in the strict sense. Okay, she's used to audiences but that's just her job. I really don't think she smiles the camera for any other reason than to please the audience or in the spirit of the dance, and her personality is pleasant and likeable. Having been around Beeb cameras for a two or three hours a day for a couple of months, the camera crew move around and you just get used to them being there and ignore them. Obviously Ashley knows that during her dances she'll be in the spotlight; she's no different than anyone else in that respect, and she's a confident person normally (having seen her judging Dancing on Ice and various other interviews etc) . The Beeb invited (and paid) her to take part in the show, she can dance, so she goes for it. It matters not who wins in the long run, but I'm sure if she doesn't or gets eliminated, she'll be gracious about it. Just my view without bias. Smile
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:30 am

TANGOLERO wrote:

Oh dear Fifty, I'm getting serious dislike vibes for Ashley here? She is a pro in entertainment and I honestly don't think Ashley is affected in the strict sense. Okay, she's used to audiences but that's just her job. I really don't think she smiles the camera for any other reason than to please the audience or in the spirit of the dance, and her personality is pleasant and likeable. Having been around Beeb cameras for a two or three hours a day for a couple of months, the camera crew move around and you just get used to them being there and ignore them. Obviously Ashley knows that during her dances she'll be in the spotlight; she's no different than anyone else in that respect, and she's a confident person normally (having seen her judging Dancing on Ice and various other interviews etc) . The Beeb invited (and paid) her to take part in the show, she can dance, so she goes for it. It matters not who wins in the long run, but I'm sure if she doesn't or gets eliminated, she'll be gracious about it. Just my view without bias. Smile

Totally see where you’re coming from Mr D and I have no animosity towards Ashley but, in terms of this show only, she leaves me feeling decidedly meh. Can’t care, don’t care. Just finally glad I’ve been able to put my finger on why that is.
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:54 pm

On the current topic, I have a strong feeling that the Lauren legions may well gather and make the telephone company and the Beeb rub their collective hands hearing the cash tills ringing. Supporting underdogs is a British tradition, but don't forget the judges. Unless two first-teamers go into the d.o together, the outcome will almost certainly be a "C raig" coconut. Personally. looking at the remeining contestants Lauren is the weaker of the hopefuls with Danny her main rival. I have been known to be entirely wrong.... scratch  study  drunken  confused

lol!
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:19 pm

I fear Charles/Lauren duo re dance off but it depends on the fans...Joe for me plateaued a little.Ashley I'm afraid my marmite contestant this year...Faye or Stacey for me to win
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:50 am

Sax - lovely to hear from you! I know you have a lot on your plate but we don't hear enough form you these days - miss you Sad As an off-topic aside, now I am one of the twiteratti, can I ask what your twitter name is? Sid and I are following each other now, and I have a whole 2 oher followers - the excitement!

As regards finalists I think we are a little on opposite sides of the fence Sax - I agree Joe has plateaued but I am SO agin Stacey now I can barely watch her... She sucks up to presenters and has a faux 'what, lil ole me doing that?!' vibe. Also, her latin is a mastery of showmanship because it is usually very furious and messy -not actually as good as it first looks. Her Paso was Kevin at his most clever - loads of style over a little bit of substance. However, I know she has shed loads of fans so I think in the final analysis it will be between Joe and Stacey. In terms of Ashley and Faye, I find Ashley a warmer person and an easier to watch- Faye's anxieties and insecurities seem to come through a little and she has a slightly brittle quality about her. However, as has been shown, there is not much love for Ashley because of her dance background and general perkiness which I can see could grate. Of them all I would like to see Lauren at least get to the semi-finals. Charles I was over weeks ago....

Tango - all the young folks vote online - so no money involved... I myself always vote online and if I wanted to, because I have multiple email accounts, I could have multiple BBC log-ins,and thus vote loads that way. For nothing. (Also, Danny went out a few weeks ago... I think you meant Charles!)

I find myself very unexcited by the competition at this stage Neutral
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Oh Diamonds, I'm 100% on your wavelength when it comes to Strictly afors and agins .... I fear we may have little investment in the final four.

I'd love Lauren to do a fabulous ballroom this weekend and justify her place in the semi's, but I can't really see her getting any further than that. My reserve favourite is Ashley, but I'm lukewarm about her and can certainly agree with Fifty's comments about her camera awareness.
As I've said before, I expect Joe has topped the votes since week 1. I would so love to see the stats after the competition, I can never understand why they don't release them... ITV always publish the Jungle and DOI stats straight afterwards. I'm neither afor or agin Joe, but I do feel the judges have exaggerated his ability most weeks.  

Finally, please Diamonds don't disappear off into the ether of Twitter!
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:05 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:
Tango - all the young folks vote online - so no money involved...  I myself always vote online and if I wanted to, because I have multiple email accounts, I could have multiple BBC log-ins,and thus vote loads that way.  For nothing. (Also, Danny went out a few weeks ago...  I think you meant Charles!)I find myself very unexcited by the competition at this stage Neutral

Just me having a pointless rant D&P, I;m a full computer by now and my memory still belongs back aways. Of course it's Charles and not Danny, both decent contestants but I'm not seeing Charles as winning the priceless Beeb bauble; quite a few potential winners have fallen to soap and other things, favourites. Time to sit back and just watch the magic shadow show I think... Wink
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:47 pm

jingle wrote:

Finally, please Diamonds don't disappear off into the ether of Twitter!

Oh no, I definitely won't. It's not like here at all. I am just following Sid and Monkseal and just reading tweets about Strictly and ITT. There are way too many people out there to build a proper rapport with like we old-timers have on here. It tends to be slightly scathing as well - becuase of the limited characters people tend to be pithy at best. I'm afraid you have got me writing War and Peace length epics for a goodly while yet!
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2018 Tango's ' A little bit of Honesty' thread

Post  mauveangel09 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:50 pm

It's been a funny old year in Strictly land one way or another hasn't it? Two ringers (instead of one) and one contestant (Joe) who was going to be a dead cert due to his social media following and being bigged up every week by the judges - it has slightly upset the equilibrium of it for me - although there have been the usual interesting 'mid field' twists and turns along the way.

I know that several of you are routing for Lauren but I'm afraid I'm not with you on that one - both she and Charles lack that 'all round' appeal that I look for at this stage.

Joe is a nice bloke - very inoffensive and is clearly enjoying his SCD experience - he's also come along way for a non-dancer but like a lot of you, I actually think he has reached has ceiling and in some years (and without his following) the trapdoor would soon be opening for him - but of course it won't and I know it is unfair that I am 'agin' him because of the way he has been over marked from week one - but there you are. That leaves the two ringers and Stacey.

For me, Ringers are tricky - there is no doubt that having a ringer in the mix definitely pushes up the standard and stops the early stages from being a bit 'ploddy' - it is also lovely to watch purely great dance - but two of them? Nah. When someone asked a few weeks ago on here if we preferred Faye or Ashley - I went for Ashley and like Mr T - I think she is the far better all-rounder and is simply a fantastic dancer and personality - should she be on SCD? No - because it's one thing having been in a band or been to stage school with some vague dance experience along the way - but she has been a judge on shows and is more or less a pro - a line has to be drawn somewhere - although I know she was a late addition to the show as I think they were trying to make up the He is. And we obey him. this year. However - I do like watching her but the backlash has started with her appearance in the DO last week - and who knows that 'duel' between Ashley and Faye might not be too far off...…..

I love watching Faye doing the ballroom n umbers - she is so elegant, classical and has beautiful posture - I also loved the Fosse routine but I haven't been as enamoured as the judges with some of her other dances - she is tall and this can sometimes not be so good for latin and speciality. I've also found the chemistry between her and Gio a bit weird - although admittedly they do seem to be more relaxed of late.

I don't normally warm to the sort of thing that Kevin Clifton does but although he is sometimes an 'irritating so-and-so' to coin Fifty's phrase - I have to grudgingly admit that he is very clever and I've enjoyed his routines a lot more this year. I also feel that Stacey has a bit more soul than some of his previous partners.

So at the end of the day I've not found a particular couple that I'm cheering for this year - (and I had two last year - Joe and Debbie). I suppose you have years like that - there's been some years where I've found 'my couple' late in the competition but that isn't happening either - and it's not necessarily a bad thing as it makes the Final a lot less pressured in a way!! so I'm going to enjoy the last few shows - I probably won't vote until the last night and I think that once it gets to Finals night this time round I am just going to decide who to support on the night and they will get my votes - based purely on the dances and what I think of them on the night and at that moment...………………..should be fun!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:37 am

diamondsandpearls wrote:Sax - lovely to hear from you!  I know you have a lot on your plate but we don't hear enough form you these days - miss you Sad  As an off-topic aside, now I am one of the twiteratti, can I ask what your twitter name is? Sid and I are following each other now, and I have a whole 2 oher followers - the excitement!

Neutral

Diamonds ooh lovely yes twitteretti I'd SaxonJus xx
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:14 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:
I love watching Faye doing the ballroom n umbers - she is so elegant, classical and has beautiful posture - I also loved the Fosse routine  but I haven't been as enamoured as the judges with some of her other dances - she is tall and this can sometimes not be so good for latin and speciality.  I've also found the chemistry between her and Gio a bit weird - although admittedly they do seem to be more relaxed of late.  
On yesterdays's ITT did anyone else notice a very peculiar vibe between Faye and Gio, kind of passive aggressive?  I don't get the impression that they'll be in the 'friends for life' category.

Agree with you Mauve, it's been a funny old series. Although I've been hooked just as much as every year, it feels like there's been quite a few low points, in particular the Seann saga (with that toe-curlingly awkward apology on ITT), a sour grapes reaction by Vick,  and also the Amy/Danny situation and his rapid exit from all things Strictly.  Having not one but two obvious ringers has also been a bit of a downer in my eyes, although I do appreciate that they raise standards. But I really don't want both of them in the final, still hoping for that shock DO.

Really looking forward to musicals night. I've still got my recording of last year's episode, so I think I may watch that now to get into the spirit of things.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:22 pm

jingle wrote:
On yesterdays's ITT did anyone else notice a very peculiar vibe between Faye and Gio, kind of passive aggressive?  I don't get the impression that they'll be in the 'friends for life' category.

Agree with you Mauve, it's been a funny old series. Although I've been hooked just as much as every year, it feels like there's been quite a few low points, in particular the Seann saga (with that toe-curlingly awkward apology on ITT), a sour grapes reaction by Vick,  and also the Amy/Danny situation and his rapid exit from all things Strictly.  Having not one but two obvious ringers has also been a bit of a downer in my eyes, although I do appreciate that they raise standards. But I really don't want both of them in the final, still hoping for that shock DO.

Really looking forward to musicals night. I've still got my recording of last year's episode, so I think I may watch that now to get into the spirit of things.

Yes Jingle - and Mauve - I have noticed a weird vibe between Faye and Gio for weeks now, I think I may have mentioned it. I agree about the pas agg thing - I think they both do it. The partnerships I like best have both gone - Graeme and Oti and Kate and Aljaz - genuine warm, fun friendship. To be fair, Stacey and Kevin have a good relationship too, they just both annoy the hell out of me. Lauren and AJ get on alright but he irritates me when he goes on about trying to show her personality - she shows loads of personality on ITT, whereas he is as wooden as a forest of trees and needs to focus on showing some himself instead of carping on about her. Ashley and Pasha seem to have a very professional relationship but somehow more real than Faye and Gio. With them it is one of two things - either they bear each other's company through gritted teeth or it's all a red herring to throw us off the scent of passionate affair...
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Stop he show, I want to get off...!

Just something to get off my chest before discussing individual performances; something I consider important. Just my view, granted but:

1. To the show producers: Buy six glitterballs, give the remaining contestants one each and call the result a six-way tie. Can't be done of course, but they could give all tonight's contestants a free week and not eliminate anyone till next week. They all earned that for their efforts tonight in a really enjoyable show. The best last six show ever in Strictly for me. Dreaming of course, but I enjoyed it so much that if I could do that, I surely would. What a choker it's going to be for the loser after that performance.

Later......

TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Well this is easy. Only six left and a they fall into two camps. Actually, make that three...

The 'I really liked that dance' camp

Lauren's AS was lovely. The song really was a VW tempo and from a proper musical. She looked lovely in the dress (which looks like Kara's finals dress, slightly shortened and re-modelled) and her face was shining with positivity and happy thoughts. I could (almost) beleive she was in love with a wonderful guy...

Ashley's QS was wowsas. Amazing dress too - didn;t think much when she was still, but it practically danced by itself - it was awesome. Loved it. The judges were all over the place this evening - picking about an arm - but then giving her ten anyway. I thought that was the best dance of the night as it was technically accomplished, filled me with effervescence (though that could have been the mulled wine) and also came from a proper musical.

The 'I really didn't like that' camp

The creepy puppets. The blonde wig. The not-an-actual-charleston to a song which is clearly a polka, Actually that belongs in the 'OMG - that hurt my eyes' camp. Never make me see that again (unless it is in a dance off against Charles. I'll manage that.) Also, it wasn't perfect - there were timing issues.

KFG's 'Lets make a West End production' routine... Stacey was grinning away throughout a lot of that, so really didn't get the character. And let's face it , I was never going to like a dance about a consumptive prostitute in18th century France from a musical written in the 80s. It was very jerky in places ans there was a definite foot fault. Only C raig seem tonotice the technical issues - but gave it a 9 anyway. Silver tongued Italian Stallion as per was off on cloud 9 somewhere and could only find his 10 paddle practically all evening.

Charles standing all sturdy and strong and deep and meaningful whilst Karen twirled slowly around him in never-ending cirlces. Neither of them did many steps - even Karen's steps were not very rumba-y. The song just has no latin rhythm and is therefore wholey inappropriate for a rumba. I tried to look upon it as just a nice dance - but it was too dull even for that. Karen's wig got a point though.

The 'this is so camp I love it' camp

Joe was useless at the Salsa, but this was just such joyous camptastic fun that I forgave him. A little. All those lifts! Loved it. But I didn't vote for him.

I make no apology for giving Lauren all my votes again. She was miles better than Joe who got 1 point more than her. She was better than Charles. It was a better watch than the weird puppets. For my money she should have been third on the leader board, not joint bottom. Ashley should have been on top, then Faye, then Stacey and Lauren equal (Stacey overmarked, Lauren undermarked - as per...) then Joe, then Charles. Actually, the last two might even be the other way round or maybe equal - one just stood around like a pillar of strength not doing much and the other did a very bad (but delightful to watch) salsa. I would vote for Ashley, but y'know... ringah.
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:02 pm

I also didn’t like the creepy puppet dance. I think it lacked a sense of fun and enjoyment. Kate and Alijaz would have had a ball with that. Ashley is Ashley great dance but I can’t warm to her. Charles did a rumba I didn’t actually shut my eyes through. Lauren danced well. Bizarrely I quite liked both Stacey and Joe. But why I did I am not quite sure. As for who is in he dance off I really think it could be any of them.
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:55 pm

Well, for the first time in weeks, I actually saw the live show, albiet starting a little later. Unfortunately I missed the voting by 5 minutes.

Lauren - American Smooth. For me, her best dance yet. She actually looked liked she was in the moment, and enjoying herself. I thought her lifts were much cleaner and prettier this week.

Faye - Charleston. The funniest thing of the night. Pinocchio meets Heidi. Gio will never look the same again. I thought the routine was innovative, and well synchronised. I liked that Gio thanked the female choreographer. The VT clip of the sheep, and Gio trying to herd and yodel made me laugh. Wasn’t his wig the same one that Vincent used for one of his routines when he was dressed as Shaggy from Scooby-Doo?

Charles - A masculine rumba that wasn’t a saccharine or raunch fest. I thought there were times when he was just standing still. I thought the hips had to keep moving like a wave hitting the shore, where just when the movement seems to end, the next wave starts?

Ashley - Quickstep. Fast, furious, and professional. Left me unmoved for some reason.

Stacey - American Smooth. She looked quite happy for a ‘Miserable’ role. It was pleasant, but didn’t wow me for some strange reason.  Kevin’s outfit stole the show. How smart did he look?

Joe - Salsa. Why? Why that dance to that music? I thought he might be in trouble tonight. Not his best dance.

The extra dancers were more distracting in some dances than others. I liked it when they froze at certain points, so that you could concentrate on the main couple. Johannes certainly earned his money. I’m not sure who the other guest professionals were, but maybe they’ll get signed up for next year.

I liked the opening Pro dance to Mamma Mia and An ton taking a lead role. I wish they’d put a jock-strap onto Br uno when he dances. Those shorts were an eyesore. His King Edwards had more swing than Charles.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Seems I might be a bit of an odd ball in just seeing the show class (ie musical) entertainment value tonight. I thought it was brilliant.

In no particular order: The show as a dance competition....a slightly different story. Whoever wanted to mix a Biblical epic with a salsa needs a word. I'm not the greatest Joe fan, but the choreography was show and not dance. Too many bodies around them to see dance value, and Joe was used as a prop rather than shining as a dancer. They would have been better doing the Wilson Kepple and Betty's Sand Dance. The show is surely about dance first and spectacle second, but it seemed the other way round.

Lauren and A.J, I just wrote "top job" before either their marks or anyon else's. It was. Good Vienese waltz needs great skill and performance. Lauren had both tonight.

Charles and Karen. A latin dance all about itching and twitching was hardly ideal for a love sequence that ws made for commercial dance in urban New York circa 1960. This was one where hips didn't need to lie, they didn't even need to be there. Bad choreography for the musical number or bad music for a rumba? Could cost Charles....

Ash and Pash. My views are known as an Ashley fan, so I'll just say it was a 40 for me, ringer or no.

Faye and Giovanni. I have no truck with the Charlston being a daft dance, it is. It's whacky but the version they did was fiendishly fast and energetic and out of all the dances on show, the Charlston is surely the least to worry about body shapes, core positions or whether thumbs or bums are sticking out. Syncopation and togetherness are the criteria. Fully deserved the marks as such. I actually just sat back and enjoyed.

Stacey and Kev. Another one that was more show inclined than dance. West end theatre not The Ritz glitz and tuxedo stuff. Not a competition dance but an acting audition. Stacey is very good and fully deserved the marks, but Kev walked a tightrope in his choreography.

That's about it. As entertainment, I loved it, so well done all and a pity one has to go home. The voting should be interesting if unavoidably sad.
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:35 pm

B4p wrote:

Charles - A masculine rumba that wasn’t a saccharine or raunch fest. I thought there were times when he was just standing still. I thought the hips had to keep moving like a wave hitting the shore, where just when the movement seems to end, the next wave starts?

His King Edwards had more swing than Charles.
lol! lol! lol!

Ooh, what a fantastic description of the hip action B4 :-) Wonderful. And totally agree with you about him just standing there. That's what he did. Looking strongand powerful. And deep and meaningful. But keeping still.
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Sorry, sorry - one more thing....

Charles. His dancing has been no better than Lauren's, and possibly even Swanny's - he's had three good dances (charleston, street commercial and the Salsambcha at Blackpool) and the rest have been underwhelming to say the least. And unlike Swanny or Lauren he doesn't really seem to have embraced Strictly in a full-on fun way. I don't really feel he has travelled very far - he can do well the dances that require rhythm and timing, but anything with real technique he is very middle of the road at best. He is so earnest, and even manages to bring that out in 'I'm so mad me - I eat EVERYthing, ALL the time, gimme FOOD' Karen. So on his dancing ability AND on his Strictly J word AND on his Strictlyability I think it is him who truly deserves to wave bye bye.

That's it. Party Political Broadcast over.
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:41 pm

B4p wrote:I wish they’d put a jock-strap onto Br uno when he dances. Those shorts were an eyesore. His King Edwards had more swing than Charles.
affraid lol!
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 am

Mauve wrote:So at the end of the day I've not found a particular couple that I'm cheering for this year - (and I had two last year - Joe and Debbie). I suppose you have years like that - there's been some years where I've found 'my couple' late in the competition but that isn't happening either - and it's not necessarily a bad thing as it makes the Final a lot less pressured in a way!! so I'm going to enjoy the last few shows - I probably won't vote until the last night and I think that once it gets to Finals night this time round I am just going to decide who to support on the night and they will get my votes - based purely on the dances and what I think of them on the night and at that moment...………………..should be fun!!
This post summed up so eloquently everything I feel about the series this year. Without Kate and Graeme, who were both my sort of contestant I don't have one of the 'good' ones in reserve that I have taken to. So I too actually feel a bit detached and probably won't vote now until the final.

And so to the show... Some weird music choices given the smorgasbord available out there. On which planet does someone sit in a production meeting and go " I know, let's put a Charleston to Lonely Goatherd" scratch

Lauren actually had a dance that suited and did a lovely VW American Smooth. Shout out to the backing dancers too.
Faye  well I was made to eat my words a bit- I had to go back and watch it again as I wasn't sure what to make of it. On second viewing, although everything seemed to be against it ( D&P - yes! A polka!) I could see how well choreographed it was albeit without some the usual moves I recognised. And she was on it every beat.
Charles well, as you know I'm not a fan of rumba. It wasn't too cringey. Having seen the training footage, - the way Karen was getting him to glide with tissues on his feet-I was expecting a more sinuous performance but that being said, it was danced with feeling. I thought the backing dancers were great, quite haunting.
Ashley I thought this was terrific on second viewing. First time round I missed some of the detail- maybe that's what they meant by being a bit busy.
Stacey I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't like Les Mis, but I really loved this. And didn't Kevin look fab? 
Joe straight from a Pride disco,camptastic  fun but apart from the final lift it was a bit messy for me. (Ps Jason Donovan sounded like an old man in the VT. I know he's had his demons. He's not ageing well is he? cf. Kylie who continues to be amazing)

If Johanne doesn't get a partner next year there's no justice- he was fab-u-lous

Well as predicted by all of us it's Lauren and Charles in danger but will Lauren be saved by the public again? To come back to what I said at the beginning, I'm not really invested enough to be bothered. 
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:58 am

I had a happy Strictly-immersion day yesterday....rewatched the 2017 musicals week, and then last nights episode twice. It was nice to see Davood in the audience last night, it was at this stage that he left last year with his argentine tango to Phantom. It really doesn't feel like a whole year since we were commenting on Alexandra's ugly brown boots for her Supercalifrag..... charleston. Joe and Katya's Money samba still looks innovative a year later, I'm sure it helped him win the glitterball.  

I don't think any of last night's performances will have such an impact, but I thoroughly enjoyed the evening anyhow. One thought - my eye seems drawn to Johannes no matter which dance he's in, he's got such presence. I really hope he gets a c.eleb next year.

As expected, Lauren's american smooth was light and graceful, and imo her best dance yet.
I'm divided on Faye's charleston. Yes it was technically perfect and the score was deserved. But whoever said 'creepy puppets' is spot on, I found it a touch sinister - especially her manic-looking fixed doll smile. By the second time I watched it even the puppet goats were creeping me out!
I agree with Allsewn about Charles' rumba. Was expecting a more sinuous movement, and I thought it quite static in places. Not sure what planet CRH is on saying it's the best male rumba ever.
Ashley - I think this would've been a perfect dance for the floor space in Blackpool, but with the backing dancers, the props, and the speed of it, it looked a little cramped on the studio floor. But for me, if Faye deserved the 40 then so did Ashley.
Stacey - afraid I'll be the party pooper and say I didn't enjoy this at all. So much of it seemed to be Stacey being lifted and carried, and I wasn't sure why she was smiling in parts.
Joe - an enjoyable if rather bizarre salsa. At times it looked rather untidy, and I'm not sure if he was aiming for the camp look. I did enjoy it, but no way was it a 10.

Overall I really enjoyed musicals week, and I agree with Tango that it's a shame anyone has to leave this week. If it ends up being Lauren's last week then at least she'll be going out on a high and with the judges' praise.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 am

Well here are my thoughts on what was a brilliant show last night with a really high standard of dance.

Lauren and AJ's American Smooth had a slow start I thought but once underway and in hold it was great and got better as it went along. What great spins and pivots. 8

Faye and Givanni's Charleston I loved. Yes I know she is a ringer of the highest order but still loved this re-working of the great scene from The Sound of Music. The dance had the whole plae rocking. 10

Charles and Karen's Rumba was a mighty fine effort. He had lovely hip action but as C.raig spotted that free arm needed work. A very good effort though. 8

Ashley and Pasha's Quickstep I struggled to get into. It was like they were out of sync in the quick sections, like they were fighting one another. Still good but not her best. 8

Stacey and Kevin's American Smooth was very good packed with great spins and lifts. My gripe was I felt it overdid it with the lifts. I would have liked to have seen more done on the floor. 8.5

Joe and Dianne's Salsa I felt he started with an error with arms at the very start. It had its moments but did not quite reach the height of others. 7.5

What a devilishly high standard. A great show but somebody has to go. Dance-off spots will probably be filled by two from Charles, Lauren and maybe Joe.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:48 am

Well, all six have proved to me they are worthy quarterfinalists, cracking performances all round and, yes, a shame anybody should be booted off after that.  And the lowest score was three 9s and an 8 which, I think, says it all.

In an ideal world, Lauren and Charles would be in the dance off since neither have shown skill in BOTH disciplines but, with two ties on the leaderboard (and the lowest score being 3 not 1), it really is wide open and literally anybody could be in the DO.  I predict at least one of the ringers.

I have no allegiance with any of the six left but, for fairness, the DO should be between Charles and Lauren (for reasons stated earlier).  Of the other four, Stacey and Joe we’re both complete unknowns to me but either would be a worthy winner.  I had heard of both the Pussy Cat Dolls and Steps but not, specifically, Faye or Ashley so, again, pretty unknown but they are certainly both good enough to win.

However, if I need to pick a favourite, I’m going to stick my neck out and say Faye.  The reason being that her dances stick in my mind more than the others.  Her jazz theatre was amazing, as was her quickstep.

Quite literally can’t wait for the results show Twisted Evil
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next