SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Page 20 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  B4p on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote: Being on Twitter is so very frenetic and stressful, even though I am only following Sid and Sax and Monkseal and one other of Sid's ascerbically witty freinds, and only watch posts on Strictly and I'm a s leb. Literally 200 posts can be um... posted, whilst frantically deleting all my too many words so that I can post my comment.  It is impossible to keep up.  ANd there are some really bitchypeople out there...
That's one of the reasons I haven't done much with the Tweetabix thread this year. Strictly Twitter has become so negative, it's exhausting. So many haters against the celebs for ridiculous reasons. I really don't want to engage in those sort of games. Yes, I might poke fun at one or two, but I don't hate anybody. I even like how the judges are getting on better this year.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:58 am

Just had this on my newsfeed re the tour- so Lauren's dancing days aren't over! Glad Swanny's in there too. 

CONFIRMED! Ashley Roberts, Lauren Steadman, Graeme Swann and Faye Tozer join the already confirmed Stacey Dooley, Dr Ranj Singh and Joe Sugg on the Strictly Come Dancing Live Tour here in Brum!
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Oh wow, that's a really good line up. Is anyone going? Sadly the tour stopped coming to N Ireland years ago, I think the time I saw it in Belfast was back in 2011.

I'm surprised Lauren is doing it, would've thought she'd be back into triatholon training. Also surprised AJ is doing it, as he's got his own tour which starts a couple of weeks after the Strictly tour ends.

As far as I can see the only two pro changes seem to be Stacey with Aljaz, and Graeme with Karen.

jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:38 pm

jingle wrote:Oh wow, that's a really good line up. Is anyone going? Sadly the tour stopped coming to N Ireland years ago, I think the time I saw it in Belfast was back in 2011.

I'm surprised Lauren is doing it, would've thought she'd be back into triatholon training. Also surprised AJ is doing it, as he's got his own tour which starts a couple of weeks after the Strictly tour ends.

As far as I can see the only two pro changes seem to be Stacey with Aljaz, and Graeme with Karen.  

What the....????? NO-o-o-o-o-o-!! One of the best things about this year's Strictly was the truly wonderful partnership between Graeme and Oti. I will admit that Karen was a lot softer and less annoyingly 'I'm so cRRRazzy me - I eat everything, ALL the time, woohoo, so so mad!!' with Charles this year, but she's not particularly charismatic. Graeme is SO going to miss the Goddess that is Oti. Such a shame Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad (Yes, yes, I know, it's because of that new dance show they have been pushing, but surely that has been pre-recorded and Oti is freed up to strut her very beautiful stuff with Graeme. no?)
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:38 pm

Well I'm thinking of getting some tickets for Gio & Luba's show next spring. It's taken a while for me to thaw to him, but I do think he's a talented dancer, and Luba is as magnetic as Johannes.

Just by the by, I won't be around for a couple of days. I'm off to one of the German Christmas  rendeer markets (Bamberg) Saturday night, so will miss the show. I'll be back Tuesday morning, so will have a Strictly Catch-up Fest, and will update the scoreboards and final tunes then.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 pm

Have a great time B4p. Lots to catch up on when you get back. Auf Weidersen for now.... cheers
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 am

I really can't believe that we're at semi finals day. Seriously, where have the past 12 weeks gone?  Sad  I've recorded all the shows this year, and watched Week 2 a few days ago (the demise of Susannah Constantine).  I think Lee Ryan has been this years shock exit, he wasn't half bad.  

Looking forward to tonight's show, but at the same time I wish we could turn the clocks back to start all over again.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:15 am

I didn’t have time to follow on from the results show earlier in the week. My son came home with all his worldly goods and chattels, and having filled one of our rooms with them, promptly flew off to South America (Patagonia) to go climbing and trekking for a few months before moving to do the same in the States. If we’re lucky we’ll see him about August. I hope we don’t get any other visitors before then. We’ll have no where to put them!

So, what did I think of it? I loved the “Rhythm of Life” number at the beginning. Great singing, great dancing and great costumes. And talking of great dancing, I absolutely loved Neil and Katya’s dance to “We Are The Champions”. I for one am delighted to see them dancing together again. Contrition and magnanimity make excellent bedfellows.  (How’s that for pompous!)

You won’t be surprised that I was pleased that of the remaining celebs, Charles was the one to go. He was my least favourite for several reasons, none of which I’ll go into now that he’s gone.

Why was Ashley in the Dance Off again? I don’t think the British public DIS-like her, I think it’s just that they like the others more. I have no idea what will happen this week. If she’s in the Dance Off again, whoever she’s against will obviously go, unless it’s Faye in which case it’ll be a real competition.  Someone mentioned manipulation of the scores by the judges. I don’t really think that’s generally the case, except for C’raig. I’m afraid I do think he alters his scores to influence the totals that couples get for their dances. That’s why I think he sometimes gives such low scores to couples who aren’t his favourites and high scores to couples who are. I expect both Faye and Ashley to do wonderful performances this week, but I wonder if it’ll be Ashley who C’raig gives his 10s to, just to try to keep her out of the Dance Off. I have no idea who’s the most popular of the remaining celebrities, but Lauren must be up there to have escaped the Dance Off so many times. I suspect Joe and Stacey are very popular too which means an Ashley/Faye Dance Off is quite possible. If Joe, Stacey or Lauren go this week, I’ll be quite sad. The other two women have had loads of experience and are much better dancers. These three started at the beginning and have progressed through determination and hard work as well as a natural aptitude for dance. Lauren’s progress through additional physical and personality barriers has been even more impressive.

jingle wrote:
I'm surprised Lauren is doing it, [the tour], would've thought she'd be back into triatholon training.  Also surpised AJ is doing it, as he’s got his own tour which starts a couple of weeks after the Strictly tour ends.

I’m not surprised that Lauren’s doing it for very practical reasons. She will have been competing as an amateur up to now, albeit with sponsorship. I don't know her history to date, but this might be the first time she’s been able to earn a significant amount of money for herself on top of that. At 26, her career isn’t over by any means, but working in Strictly hasn’t been taking it easy. Although she’s been exercising different muscles for the dancing, I’m sure she hasn’t been abandoning her normal fitness routines. As to AJ working and rehearsing for his own tour, well he and Lauren won’t have to spend all day learning new routines, so he’ll have plenty of time to rehearse during the day and the final two weeks after the Strictly tour and before his own tour will be more than enough to bring the show up to speed. The Pro dancers like AJ learn very quickly, don’t they.
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:12 pm

[quote="diamondsandpearls"]

I'm on the grumpy step too Laughing Just feel this year Paso /Tango too early being danced week 2 No .Also a few have skipped The curse of death Rhumba this year. I loved Lauren's dress and dance last week but had thought the most vulnerable dancer and in dance off.I wasn't ready for Charles to go.I'd invested time to warm to him and "poof" he went. Oh the horror, the pain of losing a new found warmth. .. I am also grumpy due to the 110% guarantee Ashley would go through in dance off.Why waste the poor camera angles of misguided apprentice camera guy for precious minutes? Im also sure dodgy camera guy related to I'm Musicality Guru-not director both need detention and suspension What a Face What a Face Suspect

I just want some sparkle back. Do you recall the lovely sequins and gems 1000's of them all hand sewn too! Where are they now? Abandoned in a solitary corner of a warehouse all forlorn and bereft of a dress, shirt or boots to dazzle? I long for some, oh my, ooh and that lovely warm tingle over me and no its not me spilling my Chenin Blanc! It's that wonderful,forgotten tingle from a fabulous dance.Too many loose flapping shirts and ra rs baseball hats, gloves and shorts.Mix it up with a creepy Elf and tracksuit bottoms gear and my heats slumped with my mojo.

saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Hope there is room for me on that step! Felt very underwhelmed tonight. Poor Lauren forgetting her steps. Joe’s awful music. I thought his VW was very tender. I find Ashley’s dancing very hard and spiky. I think for the first time ever I am not bothered who wins. So very grumpy.
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Some of my most enjoyable reading, right from being a child setting off with the Famous Five and Secret Seven on imaginary adventures, has been the sort of fiction that goes against all odds  and logic and still triumphs in the end. That's what true fiction is, isn't it? Reality starts exactly where you, individually, want it to. That said, it will be a very powerful fairy indeed that wants to upset the odds based on tonight's showings. In a real life semi final ( in any round actually) it should only matter on performance and nothing more; nothing personal, nothing untruthful and no fairy tale endings that don't deserve to happen. Joe and Lauren didn't catch up with the field tonight and, all things being equal (are they ever) and based purely on the above, one of their short trip to Dusseldorf's should end tonight (tomorrow that is, but this is a fairy story Wink The points gaps are too wide for it to be otherwise.

Every single one of the contestants has done wonders, Lauren not the least, but there's only one title and thus, one winner. For me, Stacey and Kev's Vienese was pure ballroom dance. C raig talked about moved by the music as opposed to sticking with technique; well, for me, if you're not moved by the music, what the hell are you doing dancing at all? For me, dancers are two people, one on the floor and one off it. The minute you step on the boards (that's step, not stamp, not even walk in the normal easy lazy slouch of street walk), you should be in that imaginary fairyland till the last note of the music dies. Tonight I believe Joe and Lauren lost the path to Narnia.

Stacy, Ashley and Faye should all be safely back in the wardrobe and Santa's sleigh should arrive to carry the unfortunate loser safely home (all hypothetically speaking of course). The same should apply next week regardless of all. It probably won't, because there's only one glitter ball, but we say that every year anyway. . We still keep dancing. Feeling a bit out of sorts today, hernia problem, so I'll continue tomorrow.
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:05 pm

Twirlie wrote: promptly flew off to South America (Patagonia) to go climbing and trekking for a few months before moving to do the same in the States.

Um... is he single??? Embarassed I climb. I trek. I've been to Patagonia. We'd have LOTS to talk about...

Oh. Hang on. He's probably on his gap year isn't he? Maybe a tad too young!
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 pm

saxonsiren wrote:

cheers cheers cheers That is a beyond words wonderful post Sax! You have cheered me up no end!
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:10 pm

'I'm on the grumpy step too Laughing Just feel this year Paso /Tango too early being danced week 2 No .Also a few have skipped The curse of death Rhumba this year. I loved Lauren's dress and dance last week but had thought the most vulnerable dancer and in dance off.I wasn't ready for Charles to go.I'd invested time to warm to him and "poof" he went. Oh the horror, the pain of losing a new found warmth. .. I am also grumpy due to the 110% guarantee Ashley would go through in dance off.Why waste the poor camera angles of misguided apprentice camera guy for precious minutes? Im also sure dodgy camera guy related to I'm Musicality Guru-not director both need detention and suspension What a Face What a Face Suspect

I just want some sparkle back. Do you recall the lovely sequins and gems 1000's of them all hand sewn too! Where are they now? Abandoned in a solitary corner of a warehouse all forlorn and bereft of a dress, shirt or boots to dazzle? I long for some, oh my, ooh and that lovely warm tingle over me and no its not me spilling my Chenin Blanc! It's that wonderful,forgotten tingle from a fabulous dance.Too many loose flapping shirts and ra rs baseball hats, gloves and shorts.Mix it up with a creepy Elf and tracksuit bottoms gear and my heats slumped with my mojo.'

cheers cheers cheers  That is a beyond words wonderful post Sax! You have cheered me up no end!
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:49 pm

And so to tonight's offering....

The judges belatedly marked Joe on what they saw rather than on what they had hoped they had seen. Shaky Latin and lovely, if not quite technically precise ballroom. I actually enjoyed both their dances because the ballroom was just sweet and charming and the AT made me up my admiration (from an admittedly low starting point) for Dianne as a dancer - she was utterly phenomenal and I couldn't keep my eyes of her.

Faye did what she did, ie near -perfect dances. But she always leaves me wanting... I somehow don't FEEL her dances. Her kicky flicky AT was also phenomenal but it was Gio's strength and passion that drew my eye. I really couldn't detect any of that chemistry between them that Shirley was bibbling on about. The samba was about the only actual samba we have seen all series (rather than the mish mash of three of the latin dances which is becoming known as the Salsamcha) but at the end of the day, it was a samba. Which is, if you may remember, a SILLY dance...! Also - that dress..! affraid

Ashley's Paso suffered because of the pants music and her horrible 80's hair (which they seem to be loving for Pasos this series... It didn't look good in the 80's and time hasn't been kind). It mean that she was ultra fierce instead of simply majestic and strong. She didn't stand up to the dance (bull/matador) but breathed fire on it like an outraged dragon. But her Foxtrot As was pure magic. Wasn't too keen on the sweet n girly outfit, but the dance itself was easily my favourtite of the night, and probably one of the top three of the series (the others were her Foxtrot and Faye's Bob Fosse Halloween dance - the other worldliness of it suited her slightly wound up quality)

Stacey.. The charleston actually was a charleston to charleston music. Hurrah! Which is why it went down so well. It was good. But I couldn't get as excited about it as I did Georgia's charleston and I can't imagine rewatching it a gazillion times as I have Georgia's, or attempting my own version with my bestie in the kitchen like we did with Giorgia's. I think the problem with Stacey is that she is always Stacey. Her character comes across in these kind of dances so that everyone thinks she is getting into character. But that is just her. Her charleston was the same character as her street dance which was the same character as her minion jive (which was easily my favourite of her dances - it was the first time we saw this persona; but I'm bored of it now). The VW disappointed me - not so much her as Kevin's choreography. I think C raig may have got it when he mentioned it being a dance of two halves. It simply wasn't round and round twirly enough - too much of a waltz or an AS.

Lauren's Samba wasn't as bad as I thought, and though she made mistakes (which I was sad about) the rest of it was actually less of a car crash mess than Joe's Salsa last week. This week he probably would have scored 25 tops for that, but he did it last week so... 10 from Silver tongued Italian Stallion! Her Tango WAS a bit flat-footed, I can't lie. But if we take into account her lack of arm and the need for clever choreography, and if we take into account Faye and Ashley's experience , ie it;s not a level playing field, then Lauren has improved easily as much as Stacey and Joe and WAY more than the ringers (beautiful though Ashley is to watch) and deserves to be in the final based on that. She is no worse a dancer than Chris Hollins or Darren Gough (better by far actually...). Anyway, whilst I feel no need for her to win, I do feel she needs to be in the final as she has definitely travelled the furthest distance. She has learnt to act and feel her dances from a base of disguising any feeling or emotion and being totally impassive. Joe does lots of being in character in his videos and is a natural performer and Stacey is just Stacey (happy Stacey or serious, hold me take me Stacey) and hasn't really learn tot get into character. So - you can guess who got my votes, can't you?

And if I hadn't given them all to her, I would have voted for Ashley for giving me the most dance pleasure over the series.

The end...
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:32 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Um... is he single??? Embarassed  I climb.  I trek.  I've been to Patagonia.  We'd have LOTS to talk about...

Oh. Hang on.  He's probably on his gap year isn't he?  Maybe a tad too young!

Ha ha - Yes he's single, and he's on a gap year of sorts I suppose. He didn't have one after University. He's 30 now. Still too young? He was just made redundant and is using his redundancy money and savings to fund his trip. It won't be hugely expensive. He hates spending money on accommodation. He has his tent. He's happy. He's at El Chalten just now after his first three day trip on his own to the Fitz Roy Massif and Cerro Torre. Who knows where or what next. He's hoping to meet similarly minded people to go climbing with rather than just trekking. Not Alpine climbing. He's promised. In February or March he's going on to the States to climb there. Joshua Tree National Park and Indian Creek, Utah are the only ones I can remember. Lots of Buttes!

I don't know where he gets it from. I'm the laziest person on the planet!
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Gosh I have 2 daughters like that! I have not a clue where they get it from!!!! Youngest has been trekking in USA and Canada recently. Just goes on her own. I’m in panic mode till she gets back. She is 25 hence my worries
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2018 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Really enjoyed the fact that we got to see two dances from each couple tonight - a good dance fest - but for the first time I felt sorry for Joe being put up against Faye and Gio in the AT - and I don't think his VW held up well either. For me 3 couples earned their place in the final and 2 did not - Lauren and Joe were quite a bit behind the others and if they were both in the DO for me It would be hard to decide which one of them I would put through to the final.

Some fine examples tonight of where having the 'right' music helps to create the 'right' dance - such as the Faye and Gio's AT which for me was the dance of the night and one of the best of the series.

Stacey and Kev - Charleston - 10 and Viennese Waltz - 8
As we discussed in the week, she lucked out on having the most crowd pleasing music and for me did a brilliant 'proper' flapper Charleston to flapper music - she said she was looking forward to doing this one and for me it really was her dance. For the Viennese Waltz I think I was with CRH - I didn't really like the beginning at all and then when they took hold it really improved became a lovely traditional VW which really covered the floor well and hit the rotations, pivots and fleckrls.

Joe and Dianne - Viennese Waltz - 7 Argentine Tango - 6.5-7
This week showed that whilst Joe has come along way he has reached his ceiling now. As someone has said in a previous post, for the first time the judges seemed to mark him honestly. The VW was competent but not a showstopper and I thought the smoke was a bit overkill at the beginning. It was nicely performed but it was not technical enough and his arms seemed wrong. The AT didn't work at all for me - although I could see what they were trying to achieve. For once he was wearing trousers that didn't accentuate his thin legs and whilst the dance wasn't a disaster it wasn't that good and was more of a 'Burn the Floor' dance, in the style of an AT - didn't really like it.

Ashley and Pasha - Paso 9 American Smooth - 10
Thought the music wasn't good at all for the paso and seemed to be more suited to a Tango than a paso. It was over dramatic to me, wasn't particularly Spanish in character and didn't blow me away - but I could see that what she was doing she was really doing well.

On the other hand their AS was sublime to me - and those lifts!!! I seem to remember Katya attempting one of those 'one legged Titanic' lifts with someone once and it didn't come off. I loved this dance - but to be honest it was more of a showdance really, however I think it showed amazing skill and style and was a joy to watch. I thought it was interesting what the judges said about Ashley in their little discussion about how she sometimes hits dances a bit hard and like the jazz dancer that she is - this makes sense to me.

Lauren and AJ - Tango - 8 Samba - 6
The Tango was not bad at all but didn't really look natural to me- she seemed to be concentrating very hard. The music made it so that the dance was all on 'one level' to me and it seemed a bit flat overall. There were some interesting steps but also some timewasting out of hold moments. The samba was danced to the most bouncy music ever - Hues Corporation 'Rock the Boat', one of my favourite hits of that era, so this brought back memories to me and I think Lauren worked hard but made some obvious mistakes and just didn't pull it off on the night - nice costume though.

Faye and Gio - Samba- 8 Argentine Tango- 10
The samba was ok ( couldn't agree with B runo that this was anywhere near a 10). I thought it was technically very good but lacked feeling in places and I agreed with the judge who said that it lacked flow - but my goodness, the Argentine Tango made up for it all. For me this one belongs in the Strictly Argentine Tango hall of fame - a true semi-final standard performance like the semi finals of yesteryear - Gio is such a master at this dance, I still remember his AT with Debbeh last year and this one equalled it in my book. Faye's costume was lovely, the music was quintessential and it was one of those dances that just all came together. Should have been a '40' I thought!!!!!

Well they all gave it their best shot and we shall have to see what Joe Public thought...………... Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Twirlie wrote:

Ha ha - Yes he's single, and he's on a gap year of sorts I suppose. He didn't have one after University. He's 30 now. Still too young? He was just made redundant and is using his redundancy money and savings to fund his trip. It won't be hugely expensive. He hates spending money on accommodation. He has his tent. He's happy. He's at El Chalten just now after his first three day trip on his own to the Fitz Roy Massif and Cerro Torre. Who knows where or what next. He's hoping to meet similarly minded people to go climbing with rather than just trekking. Not Alpine climbing. He's promised. In February or March he's going on to the States to climb there. Joshua Tree National Park and Indian Creek, Utah are the only ones I can remember. Lots of Buttes!

I don't know where he gets it from. I'm the laziest person on the planet!

Depends on how fussy HE is.... ;-)
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:30 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Depends on how fussy HE is.... ;-)

Well depends on the gap! He's just left behind a girlfriend ten years older. My son, the toy boy! lol! lol! lol!
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 pm

Week 12; The Semi Finals

Another exciting evening. Last week, Joe, Lauren and Stacey looked pretty even and who knew who would get into the final. This week I think things are clearer. It must be Joe and Lauren who are in trouble. I can’t think of any of the others being voted off. Anyhow, there were some rather wonderful dances tonight...

Stacey and Kevin – Charleston
Like B.runo said it looked like a truly authenic 1920s Charleston. Wonderfully performed and loads of classy choreography. Sparkly, slick, brilliante, effervescent… Yea – totally worth 10.

Joe and Dianne – Viennese Waltz
I wish the Beeb wouldn’t fill the room with smoke before they start to dance.  Though this was very very romantic, I have to agree with the judges, loads of rise and fall. I didn’t think either that though it was very romantic that the actual dancing wasn’t very charismatic. Do you know what I mean? Sedate.  Was it slow for a Viennese Waltz? It seemed so. 7

Ashley and Pasha – Pasa Doble
Yes – I found it busy busy busy and couldn’t really get hold of it. It may have been technically excellent, but I didn’t like the dance. Pasha seems so eager to impress that he fills his routines to overflowing. They’re spoiled because he doesn’t put any breathing space into the choreography, and it’s to the detriment of the dance. 9

Lauren and AJ – Tango
I thought it was good, surprisingly so. I don’t know why but I didn’t think this would work for them and I was incredibly nervous throughout the whole dance. She looked terrific. It’s amazing how her look has transformed from the no-makeup simple girl at the beginning to the rather wonderful glamour-pants that she is now. Be that as it may, I though they made a good job of the Tango. Not fabulous, but worth an 8

Faye and Giovanni – Samba
Good, but not quite as good as previous weeks  I did’t think. (Having to do two dances showed this week with all the celebs. Even in the VTs they looked thoroughly exhausted. ) I wonder if I’m not quite a fan of the Samba. I think that might be it. Other than Danny and Oti’s of course. 9

Stacey and Kevin – Viennese Waltz
Very beautiful, So, so beautiful and just soaring around the room in the most gorgeous manner. American Smooth? Na! 9

Joe and Dianne – Argentine Tango
Enjoyable enough I suppose, but was it a proper true pale blue and white Argentine Tango. I’m not sure that it was. At most - 8.

Ashley and Pasha – American Smooth
Gorgeous, just gorgeous. Was there a bump on top of one of the lifts? Don’t know. It didn’t matter. It was a beautiful, fluid, and exciting dance.  Great music - it makes such a difference. 10

Lauren and AJ – Samba
Not successful, Too many mistakes. A shame, though I doubt that the Samba would have suited her anyway. I think it’s the end of the road for Lauren and quite rightly in my opinion. I think she’s the least capable of the remaining celebs. It’s just a shame she’s made so many mistakes in what’s likely to be her last dance. She's been a great asset to the show and a breath of fresh air. Sadly, her time has come. 6

Faye and Giovanni – Argentine Tango
Great – fantastic – bloody marvellous! Quite mesmerising. A truly fantastic AT.  A mature performance. Womanly if you know what I mean. Exciting in the extreme. And to great music to boot! Giovanni played his part perfectly. He stood still or moved steadily for a lot of the time, supporting his partner and showing her off to best advantage. Brilliant pairing. 10

I had three dances of the night tonight. Stacey and Kevin’s Charleston, Ashley and Pasha’s American Smooth, and edging just ahead by a nose, Faye and Giovanni’s Argentine Tango.

I finally abandoned Lauren in the voting and gave my votes to Stacey and Joe.

Last edited by Twirlie on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:48 am

So, three dancers proved worthy finalists. And, to be fair, the other two proved worthy semi-finalists.

In a real world, as Tango says, Lauren and Joe will be in the DO and then who would the judges save? Lauren’s best dance scored higher than both of Joe’s.....

I suspect it will be Ashley plus a n other in the DO and Ashley will be saved.

Of the dances last night, I loved Stacey’s VW and Faye’s AT. Either of those can win for me, although I’d prefer it to be Faye.
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 am

I was out last night and just watched the semi on I-Player. My thoughts were crazy high standards again. As others have said I think it is clear that the most polished dancers left in are Ashley, Faye and Stacey. Joe and Lauren just couldn't match that threes high standards. If we are talking dance standards then the dance-off will be between Joe and Lauren and it would be very interesting to see who the judges vote to save. However, this is Strictly and just as much a popularity contest so I expect Ashley to be in the bottom two again probably against Lauren and that will be like a lamb to the slaughter.

Stacey's two dances were of high quality. The Charleston was excellent and worth a 9 as have seen even better Charlestons in my time. Her Waltz was really delicious and worthy of 9 as well.

Joe struggled with both of his dances if we are being honest. His waltz he did not look comfortable or confident with and it showed and even the judges could not bum it up. A 6.5 from me.His Tango just seemed like him positioning/placing himself for Dianne to do the eye-catching stuff around him. A 6 from me.

Ashley and Pasha's Paso was frantic as one of the judges said and I spotted two times she lost her balace that aside ...very good and worth 8.5. The American Smooth was a showstopper and worth a 10. The lifts were mind-blowing and transition from them was seamless. Loved it.

Lauren's Tango was better than I thought it would be. She stayed in character and had good attitude. I would have liked to have seen higher kicks though. A 7 from me. Sadly her Samba just did not click and was riddled with mistakes. 5.5

Faye and Giovanni's Samba was pretty darn good but she looked uncomfortable with this at times. 8.5 from me. The Argentine Tango was magic. Faye's footwork was awesome and credit to Giovanni for showcasing her totally. A 10 from me.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:17 pm

fiftynotout wrote:So, three dancers proved worthy finalists.  And, to be fair, the other two proved worthy semi-finalists.

In a real world, as Tango says, Lauren and Joe will be in the DO and then who would the judges save?  Lauren’s best dance scored higher than both of Joe’s.....

Much as I'd love to see Lauren in the final, I do agree that the fairest route would be to win a DO with Joe. And as I've got my money on Joe as the runaway votes winner I can't see that scenario. If Lauren does go through solely on public votes tonight then I'd fear for an inevitable backlash against her. So, with a heavy heart, I suspect this may be yet another year where AJ and his partner fall at the semi final hurdle.

I've just done my Sunday morning re-watch, but there was a lot of filler to fast forward through. Now that we've already seen the judges discussing strengths and weaknesses, we've already had the c.elebs' personal stories (in the CC VTs), we've already seen quasi-showdances in the CCs, we've already seen messages of support from the public ...I'm wondering what on earth is left for the final.

Anyhow, I won't do a dance by dance review, as everyone has already said it all. Just a few random thoughts instead...

I love the floor lighting effects in a few places - the start of Ashley's paso where the floor looked like an earthquake, and the start of Joe's AT where the floor ran with blood.  Just love all those extra visuals, good staging can really boost the impact of a dance.

Ashley's hair extensions for the paso were ridiculous - they flew into her face, they obscured her frame, they were dated...yuk

Can't agree with Shirley's 10 for Stacey's vienesse waltz. CRH pointed out her dodgy footwork on the pivots, and I agreed with his view that it veered into american smooth. In my opinion it wasn't as good as Lauren's VW last week, which didn't get a 10.

Apart from that 10 I thought the scores were very fair (for a change). In particular, the comments and scores for Joe reflected his ability,  at long last. Seems the judges have suddenly called off their honeymoon with him just in time for the final. Very interesting!

Dance of the night for me was Ashley's american smooth - loved it. If Lauren does leave, then Ashley is definitely my reserve favourite.
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Well, that was some semi final. The pressure of 2 dances definitely took its toll I felt. As predicted and someone has No doubt  said, some dances were enhanced by the music and some were marred. Lauren in particular for her tango and I wonder how much better Joe's AT would have  looked if it had had Faye's music. Which brings me nicely onto C.raig's blatant manipulation of the scoreboard with Joe's 6's- Evil or Very Mad there is no way they deserved those scores.
Of the two ringers, their last two dances were spectacular. ( To be honest I can't even remember the first ones!).  I loved Ashley's AS ( enhanced by decent music) and Faye's AT (enhanced by decent music). For me there was hardly anything between them, I loved them both for different reasons, but in the end I chose Faye and gave her my vote.
Loved Stacey's  Charleston, totally flapper and fantastic. 

Obviously Lauren and Joe are the weakest - I felt like Joe was thrown to the dogs in order to save Ashley after they've been fawning over him for weeks. Not looking at anyone in particular Mr R-H.... Can I join the grumpy step please?! 

If it goes to a DO with those two I guess they'll save Joe but who knows? I'm not even convinced that Joe will be in the mix because his supporters will have rallied - and in fairness I was so cross that I threw him a vote even though I've never voted for him before and I wasn't even going to vote last night. If all is fair it should be Lauren going...

Looking forward to reading all your comments now
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next