SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Re: SCD 2018 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread'

Post  mauveangel09 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:43 pm

jingle wrote:

The singers should take one week off at some stage, so just classical ballroom and latin music that week as played by the orchestra

No argentine tangos, rumbas, or other intimate small-floor dances allowed at Blackpool, they look  lost and don't take advantage of the sprung floor.

Oh Yes Yes Yes!!!!!! cheers

Just saying hello to everyone in advance of the 'big' one...………….I'm just grabbing a pre-show glass of vino - slow cooked beef bubbling away and just working out when to pause it later to get the dinner served...…….don't want to be too far behind and need to take note of when the voting starts!!!

Jingle - you said in your previous post that for you the Final wasn't won on the Showdances last year - I felt the same. Even though I was fully invested in both Debbeh and Joe I wasn't wowed by the Showdances and can hardly remember them - although conversely I still remember Ore and Joanne's Showdance. I really enjoyed the 'Couples Choice' round better like you did last year. I wonder how I'm going to feel tonight - not being particularly invested in anyone? It could be a Showdance year for me as to where I vote.

I think tonight will be a fight between Stacey and Joe but on the other hand I don't think you can dismiss Faye as she is very popular (for example we don't know what the vote share has been between Stacey and her) I also really fancy Faye and Gio's Showdance, as I love the music and I think it will be the big Broadway/Hollywood razzamatazz Showdance that SCD viewers love...…………………..so let's wait and see...…………... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I think the funniest thing will be watching Gio or Kevin - or indeed both - spontaneously combust on stage if they don't win lol! they are so uber competitive...…………..

See you later everyone!

also I was thinking that instead of putting up a new thread we could all do a summary on our best and worst bits of the series tomorrow on the 'Highs and Lows' thread - once we've digested it all

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  Twirlie on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:08 pm

mauveangel09 wrote: ...I'm just grabbing a pre-show glass of vino....
I'm just grabbing a pre-show glass of whisky myself. Fireball to be precise, it's nearly Christmas after all.  Very Happy
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Just popping in to say hello and hope you enjoy the show tonight whatever the outcome. I really don't mind which one wins, I am sitting on my jewelled cushions waiting to be entertained...and whoever pleases me most I will spare their lives / get on my iPad and vote!

See you on the other side folks...cheers
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 pm

Enjoy the show one and all - good luck to all four contestants.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Well what did you all think of that? In the end I didn't vote for my favourite, Stacey, at all. All my votes went to Ashley and Faye. I was a little sad one of them didn't win because Stacey was obviously not so good (ghastly show dance) but I was relieved Joe didn't win.  More to come.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:19 pm

All my votes went to Ashley too. A bit disappointed with the result tbh, Stacey was my least favourite of the four and added to that I really disliked her showdance. Also quite surprised that the power of the youtube millions didn't transfer into a win for Joe....interesting!

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Ashley and Faye got perfect 120 three dance scores each and both well deserved them. Neither were ever going to beat the G.B.P power and I got what I wanted in their performances. Ashley's showdance was amazing in a contemporary balletic style that was so very difficult yet her control and athleticism made it look almost easy. The girl is angelic in the air, an angel without wings and all credit to Pasha for seeing where she excelled most. She's been my favourite all along.

Faye and Gio's Broadway showdance gladdened the heart of an old golden era of dance man like me. Tie and tails elegance of an almost gone era, elegant and classy as it comes. Fred and Ginger live on.

Stacey and Kev, well as they dance, couldn't match them in this discipline, although Kev's later Paso was class. He's never won Strictly, so hi turn was due and he earned it.

Joe was never going to win it for me except on votes, but big credit to him for effort. Shoot me down if you will, but where he got 39 for his Paso from still baffles me. It was very stiff, straight armed and contrived putting his body into shapes that looked dramatic but were unnatural and I didn't enjoy the choreography. Antonio Vargas, in the film "Strictly Ballroom," laughed at the ballroom version of Paso Doble. Joe reminded me why. All said, the lad learned to dance to a very high standard and deserves praise for that.

More later, possibly tomorrow and looking forward to everybody's take.

P.S. Enjoyed Michael Buble's "Such a night" which set me off into the dance era back in 1954. The Pope banned the song to us Catholics as being too suggestive, just as my local town cinemas banned Bill Haley's "Rock around the Clock film. Strange era, the birth of rock and roll over here. We sang and danced anyway. cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:53 pm

Well!

I am at my friend's house for our annual strictly finals gathering. Mince pies, mulled wine, goodies galore and much anticipation and excitement... Every year we get up and reproduce our favourite dance in the kitchen -Georgia's Charleston, Oti' s samba (featuring Danny Mac), Ore's show dance...

This year we are just sat slumped. Undbelievably underwhelmed and deflated. The only show dance that had any show in it was Faye's. Ashley's was gorgeous but not showy. Faye killed (in a fabulous way) all her dances and Ashley nailed hers too though I would infinitely have preferred to have seen her wonderful foxtrot rather than the troll charleston. The other two showdances on offer were a mess. Stacey's Paso was still very trotty and there was a part which reminded me of Chris Parker running about in series one. Kevin was practically gearing up to punch CRH on the schnozzle for not giving the extra point needed to get an undeserved perfect score, and Joe was just Joe, not doing his best ballroom dances but being landed with the Paso by the judges and choosing the Charleston and thus not really giving us his best - which I was sad about.

So that being the case we ended up sharing our votes between Faye and Ashley with balance tipped in favour of Faye.

But the inevitable happened. Kevin won - and it was very much about him. One friend who has always been totally fair Kevin swung right round based on his behaviour the last few days and was disappointed he won. As for stacey - i feel she was a winner on the level of darren gough. She has come far but isnt of the calibre of winners like Alesha, kara, Harry or Ore.

Not the best series. The nicest people -who genuinely tried and really embraced what strictly is all about - went in the middle weeks. They were Dr Ranj, Kate and Graeme. Along with Lauren these would have been my finalists, based as it is on popularity rather than dance ability.

But given that it that I believe it is about dance ability then Faye was robbed on the night.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:07 am

diamondsandpearls wrote:...we ended up sharing our votes between Faye and Ashley with balance tipped in favour of Faye.....
Same in this house. We've been fans of Stacey and Faye up to now, but we just couldn't vote for Stacey in the end.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Re: Tango's 'Little bit of Honesty' Thread

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:13 am

Well - I thought that it would be between Joe and Stacey  (nearly wrote 'Gavin and Stacey' then!!!) but in the end I unexpectedly gave all my votes to Faye because I absolutely loved their Showdance - it was absolutely sublime - one of the best I have ever seen.  No problems with Stacey winning - at least it wasn't Joe!!  But I didn't enjoy their Showdance at all - I thought it was the weakest of all of them, however I really enjoyed their paso which for me was 'the' paso of the season - but like D+P I felt that when the glitterball was given it was somehow about Kevin?  or was that my imagination?

I thought there were strengths and weaknesses in each round - I really enjoyed Ashley and Pashas 'Dirty Dancing' salsa - but in the 'favourites' round I enjoyed Faye and Gio's Fosse routine - didn't think they would be able choose the 'Couples Choice' in the final.  Don't think that Joe was seen doing his best dances - but there you are.

Overall, I really enjoyed the show especially the opening n umber.  Surprised to see Danny back - is that the beeb holding him to his contract, or maybe he decided on reflection that as an actor it's not a good idea to brass off the BBC.    TBH I didn't enjoy the returning contestants dance this year - very muddled - and did anyone else feel that Graeme Swann and Lauren weren't given enough coverage in the dance or the interviews - for some reason Dr Ranj was heavily featured in the whole show - nice as he is - Graeme and Lauren were quarter and semi finalists and I kind of expected them to feature a bit more. Shocked  Shocked

Anyway - more tomorrow...……………………... Very Happy  Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:48 am

I usually post my comments whilst re - watching, but I'm writing this having only watched it live. So it became the  illustration of eternal battle between ringers and J words with the curveball of an army of Internet followers thrown in for good measure. 
I went into the final with no axe to grind, but when the result was announced I felt a bit deflated because on the night I really wanted Faye to win not Kevin, oops Stacey. 
Ashley nailed every single dance and I just sat back and enjoyed. I think we all feel a bit cheated that we didn't see the foxtrot, but I'm glad she went out having fun. Faye too nailed every one and I found myself cheering her on. Much as it was great to see her couples choice again, I would have liked to have seen her AT or Paso . I commented at the time that she just nailed her west end audition, and I don't begrudge her that. Her showdance was sheer class and nostalgia. I know a few people have commented on here that they felt it was an odd relationship between her and Gio, but on the night, I felt their showdance was more joyful whilst Ashley and Pasha were a bit intense- albeit danced beautifully, it didn't really draw me in.
Joe was stitched up by having to do his paso again to the sh*** music again- compare with Stacey's which went down a storm. Obviously on the night he and Stacey were the weaker dancers by a country mile. I thought Dianne did a really good job with the concept and choreography for Joe's showdance, a celebration of youthful exuberance and energy. It made me smile. Stacey's I felt a bit meh. In fact thinking about it now I remember the getting ready bit at the beginning, but not much else. Joe's choice didn't really give us anything different. Stop the front page Kevin did an epic paso to epic music. I'm beginning to sound a bit bitter I know, but it really wasn't about you Kevin in theory.Evil or Very Mad
And so ultimately the GPB went for the J person. I gave all my votes to Faye knowing it was in vain, but I must admit I was still hopeful that dance would win out. In the past I haven't begrudged a lesser dancer winning if they nailed the showdance  to shine on the night but I really didn't think Stacey had done that. I have enjoyed watching her J word, she is the spirit of the show and fell in love with dance, so good luck to her. I actually thought Kev had blown it being so needy, but there you go.
A fitting finale which overall I enjoyed very much. One or two things to take away...please only let paso to be done to great music for everyone, it really matters. Second...was it just me who totally forgot that Susannah was ever even in it?! 

Looking forward to reading your thoughts and picking the bones out of it a bit more later
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Re: Tangos ' Little Bit of Honesty' Thread

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:11 am

I'm out today but will be back on board later this afternoon - Looking forward to reading everyone's comments and chewing it over with you later. Yes Allse - paso to paso music...……...wasn't that point finally and shown last night...………...

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:33 am

Okay here are my thoughts on the Strictly Final and some of my comments may surprise you all so be warned.

First up congratulations to Stacey and K.evin on lifting the Glitterball. It was a spectacular night of dancing to a mind-blowingly high standard but last night's final settled things in my mind.

Before I go into detail I still remain a massive Strictly fan and last night's final just confirmed to me a few things in clarity. Firstly, it is a popularity show first and foremost followed by a dance contest. Secondly, it backs up my thoughts that ringers are best left out of the show. Being honest here the best dancer by some distance last night was Ashley (ringer supreme) and if this were all about dance she would have lifted the Glitterball but she didn't. Stacey won even though I'd have said it was evident her dances were not of the same standard and showdance just never cut the mustard. I am pleased she won as she was a genuine learner but she never won being the very best dancer. For me the magic and essence of Strictly is watching a celeb blossom from a wooden, petrified and rigid novice dancer into a graceful, confident dancer capable of quality dances in ballroom and latin - people such as Graeme, Charles, Kate and Lauren in this series. It is not fair on either parties having ringers in there for various reasons. One it gives them an unfair advantage and two they are set up for gross disappointment (like last night) when reaching the Final and smashing all three dances and NOT winning leaves the viewers seeing the show as more of a Celebrity Big Brother on the dance floor than what it should be aiming for - a dance contest.

I watched the Final not really too fussed who won as all my personal favourites had bombed out in the last few weeks so I could watch in a more relaxed and subjective manner. It is always a bitter-sweet night what with the drama, tension and excitement mingled with the impending end knowing it is all over for another year. Roll on next year (minus ringers...well I can hope) and I now look forward to the Xmas Special.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle on Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:43 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
I watched the Final not really too fussed who won as all my personal favourites had bombed out in the last few weeks so I could watch in a more relaxed and subjective manner.

Yes, all my favourites were gone too. My ideal final would have consisted Graeme, Lauren, Kate and Charles, without any worry about the lower overall standard.  

Anyhows, I thought at least I'd be able to just sit back and enjoy last nights final without any emotional investment. But when the winner was announced I'll admit my toys were thrown out the pram, the TV hastily switched off, and this years series deleted from the Tivo.  It was a tantrum any toddler would be proud of.   Ah well, there's always next year......

If I don't post beforehand then I'll wish each of you a fabulous and peaceful Christmas, and look forward to sharing our thoughts about the Christmas special

santa  rendeer  santa  rendeer
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Well a different final I felt... C.raig sorry but he had the mood frame of "Not on my watch will Stacey have a 10 from me!" The 9 I thought churlish to prevent a 40...
I thought the show dances this year poor compared to previous series. I didn't get a spine tingling moment watching any of them. I so wanted too but didn't No .
Formed have loved Charles in the final and Graeme too... Kevin deserved a Glitter ball and Stacey steadily grew in confidence and the public's heats to storm past judges favourites to win....

santa santa rendeer Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Peaceful New Year santa flower
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Well how did it go? Were we all pleased? What did we think of the various bits and pieces surrounding the dances. I apologise in advance. This isn't a few of my comments on the evening. This is a treatise!

JUDGES’ PICK
Ashley and Pasha - Salsa
Ashley was just so wonderful in this. So much more steady and secure than first time round and more graceful too if possible. It was totally exciting to watch and even more so when I watched it second time around this afternoon.

Stacey and Kevin – Foxtrot
I enjoyed this when they first performed it earlier in the series, but it looked out of place here for some reason. The whole concept seemed a little crude, the dress meh, and the choreography contrived. She danced it well enough, it just wasn’t very inspiring.

Faye and Giovanni – Viennese Waltz
A wonderful Waltz again. It always surprises me, this dance. It’s so far away from our expectations from a VW that it does take my breath away by it’s brilliance. I compared the two performances, week 2 and the final, and it’s easy to see how physically strong and confident she’s become over the weeks. A joy!

Joe and Dianne – Paso Doble
When I first watched it last night, Joe’s Paso seemed better than the first time around during the series, but when I re-watched the final, was it really so much better? As well, was this the best Judges’ Pick for Joe out of the dances he’d done? Don’t know. This dance has never really done it for me.

SHOW DANCE
Ashley and Pasha
Shades of Caroline Flack I thought, but none the worse for that. It’s Pasha’s style after all. Graceful, but fiery, smooth and strong. An excellently choreographed dance wonderfully executed though I confess, I wasn’t as blown away on a second watch as I was on the first. I’m not sure why.

Stacey and Kevinduri
Oh dear. This turned out to be a bit of a mess. A bit of a show-off dance. I agreed with C’raig. Kevin threw so much into the dance that it ended up being something and nothing; not so much a dance of Stacey’s j'ourney as merely a dance with lots of bits of other dances in it or so I’m told. I couldn’t spot the difference.  His choreography did her no favours I didn’t think.

Faye and Giovanni
Ashley’s show dance was wonderful, but this was my favourite. A great hollywood-type, classy, white tie number. She obviously enjoyed it so very much that the joy came over to us in the dance. Her dancing was elegant and classy with just the right amount of exciting show-biz pizazz in it. Not too much, not too little. I loved the alternating spotlight section,  Fantastic choreography Giovanni. Easily, easily, easily the dance of the night for me.

Joe and Dianne
Wow – well this was something very different and I have to say I enjoyed it.  I certainly enjoyed it more than Stacey and Kevin’s show dance. No competition here for Ashley and Faye of course, but it was loads and loads of fun. I realised at the end that I’d been grinning the whole way through. It’s what we’ve come to expect from Joe I think. He and Dianne know he’s not a great dancer so they set out to entertain. Good for them. There was a lot I loved about the routine. The trampoline, transforming Dianne into a guitar at the beginning, the leap-frog, into Dianne’s handstand and flip over Joe’s head was very clever and seamlessly executed. I loved their quicksteps and, oh, I jloved the fact that they’d been dressed to colour co-ordinate with their hair colour. That was outrageously camp!  I was glad to hear him praised as a good and kind gentleman. It tells you something about a person when someone describes them as “kind”.

COUPLE’S PICK
Ashley and Pasha – Charleston
The Return of the Trolls! Sounds like a horror movie. Horror it was not. I thought this dance was ok when they performed it first time around. This time… well the phrase “smashed it” is far too overused but that’s exactly what they did. Again, I wore a grin for the duration of the dance. They didn’t put a foot wrong and it was charming, funny and exciting. Just what they needed to do for their last dance if not for the public then for themselves.

Stacey and Kevin – Paso Doble
Vicky Gill – how could you send that lassie out on stage with just a nude coloured body stocking underneath the dress? I know the slashes in the skirt were high, but surely a high thighed set of black panties wouldn’t have spoiled the look but would have prevented any embarrassment. The dance itself was no worse and no better than they did it first time round I didn’t think. I used to like Kevin’s choreography. Perhpas I’m just getting bored with it now.

Faye and Giovanni – Couple’s Choice – Theatre/Jazz
Was this any better than first time round.? It was a great dance first time round and it would be hard to better such a wonderful performance though C’raig I’m pleased to see, thought so. This was another “grin” number for me. I enjoyed it just as much as first time, though I was surprised to note that I missed their make-up. Weird. It’s one of the stand-out dances of the year for me.

Joe and Dianne – Charleston
Thatcher Joe signs off with a sheaf of straw in his arms. Not the greatest dance of the night but again they went for fun to entertain us with, and succeeded. I have enjoyed this partnership a lot. I’ll bet they thought they were giving Dianne a real duffer at the beginning of the series. She’s done absolute wonders with him. She probably will be given a duffer next year though I hope not. She got Joe into the final almost by default. I’d like to see her given a good dancer and get there with a real chance of the glitter ball! (Can you tell I’m a fan? Dianne’s been added to my Favourite Pros Harem of Oti, Katya and Luba. Give Luba celeb next year please.)

As to the result, well Stacey was the bookies’ favourite wasn’t she, and they’re rarely wrong. I’d have liked Faye to win, but you always get years like this, Darren Gough, Tom Chambers, Chris Hollins won over better dancers, and personally I thought Danny Mac was robbed as well by Ore. It all came down to the show dance that year. Oti gave Danny a boring one, Joanne Clifton gave Ore a sparkling crowd-pleasing one like Faye did tonight. It tipped the balance.

With 6 online votes available, I wonder how many people voted after the first dance as soon as the vote opened. In the days when they used to cut one of the dancers out mid-show, the voting closed before the final performances then opened again. While I’m not advocating that, I wonder if it would have been better to open the voting after the Show Dance. It always has a big influence, if there are still votes to be got. If the voting had opened after the Show Dances, would Kevin and Stacey still have won I wonder. Would her popularity and the public’s sympathy for Kevin always being the bridesmaid won out over their pretty awful Show Dance? Perhaps so. I always thought it likely that she or Joe would win, but last night I was sincerely sorry that she did. I voted for Ashley and Faye – more Faye than Ashley (see - at this level, it’s still a popularity contest) because it was obvious that that’s where the talent lay. Unless the Show Dance is really spectacular, or the public is really invested in a couple (Chris and put a vest on you strumpet - how I've missed that) the winner is usually the best dancer on the night. I hope next year turns out like that.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed this series immensely. The standard of dancing at the outset was surprisingly high. There have been worse dancers on past series even than Susannah Constantine.  Some of the dancers left before I expected them to, eg, Vick Hope. The final 4 were determined by who was in the DO against Ashley. Without her in that position, who would have been in the final? Would Charles have got there past Lauren and Joe? It’s quite possible depending on the dance.

OK, so the popularity part of the competition counts, and we’re hitting our heads up against a brick wall to pretend that it doesn’t or that it shouldn’t matter. It’s an audience participation show. Popularity will ALWAYS matter. We say it ourselves in our posts. We freely admit who our favourites are. We can’t admit that, even if our favourites are easily the best dancers in the show, and then deny the rest of the public the right to choose their favourites, whether it’s based on dance, perceived personality, colour of their hair, or colour of their dyed hair! The one really joyous thing about a Strictly final is that the judges have no say in the result. I think there was a lot of high marking for Joe and Stacey because the judges didn’t want to create an underdog for the public to sympathise with. Sadly, when it came to Stacey and Kevin’s Show Dance, C’raig just couldn’t hold himself back.

What have been my favourite dances this series? Top of the list must be Katya and Seann’s Matrix dance for sheer inventiveness. It will be remembered for quite a few years I think. Katya strikes again! What else, well Faye’s Show Dance and their Theatre/Jazz Couple’s Choice plus Lauren and AJ’s American Smooth. The dancing, choreography, costume, music, lighting and camerawork all made that a remarkable number for me. There were other dances that were wonderfully danced during the series, but these are the ones that I remember.

I’m rambling now. What am I going to do tonight?? No Results Show and no Dr Who. Withdrawal symptoms are setting in already! It’s been another great year chatting with you all. Byeeeeee!

[PS found something to do tonight after all. We binge watched The Sinner. Recommended.]

Last edited by Twirlie on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Great post Twirlie. Thanks and a Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to you.

I fully get the point about it being a popularity contest - of course it is. That detracts from the whole theme of the show though sadly and especially when popularity trumps dance standards. Last night also demonstrates why ringers should not be there as it only magnifies the problem of popularity trumping dance standards. If each celeb chosen were non-dancers with no experience then it makes the end result far less controversial.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:48 pm

I reckon if the show were any different in format it wouldn't be popular enough to last. Come Dancing on Saturday night might have reasonable viewing figures, but nowhere near those of Strictly..It's done what, nine ten series (I could look it up but ..) highly successfully fighting off the best Saturday night stuff that the competition can offer. The public love controversy and a chance to be right and air their views. Strictly gives them that. I do reckon we'll see a drift away from pure ballroom (is it even that now?) and a move towards contemporary, modern ballroom, a la Leroq etc, burn the floor stuff, and street. If you think this is wrong, ask your kids, tomorrow is their property.Basketball

I'm just thankful I was born when I was and have seen almost eighty years (next year) of dance's golden era. Victor Sylvester, Dean Martin, Frankie Laine and the big band era was my youth, followed by rock and roll,and what a youth it was.. lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:00 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:If each celeb chosen were non-dancers with no experience then it makes the end result far less controversial.
It's true - very true. On the other hand, we'd miss out on some terrific dancing.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:17 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:...
 I do reckon we'll see a drift away from pure ballroom (is it even that now?) and a move towards contemporary, modern ballroom,

Perhaps, but audiences still love the waltz, viennese waltz, quickstep, etc, etc.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit of Honesty' thread

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi all - really enjoyed reading your comments and a lot of your comments resounded with me Twirlie……………. I gave my votes in the vain hope that Faye's Showdance would win out and steal it for them but I know it was wishful thinking and in a way I went against my own principles of not voting for ringers - so there's an interesting one!! I really couldn't work out whether last night was a night where the Showdances stood out or whether the Couples pick was the better round - like last year.

I thought that Ashley stood out in the judges round. I didn't like Kevin the Stacey's Foxtrot the first time round as I thought that it was too much like an American Smooth with not much smooth Foxtrot - to me it was also the epitome of the sort of choreography from Kevin that I don't like. I hadn't changed much of my opinion last night although it was danced with more confidence but it really was a crowd pleaser with crowd pleasing music which seemed made for the Final.

In the Showdance round it was Faye and Gio who for me stood out by a country mile and did a dance that for me will go down as one of the SCD classics. I was surprised that they had chosen the Fosse n umber in the final round but I think that what she had done thus far was ballroom based and she would not have wanted to have repeated a latin n umber - so this one represented a good choice and I enjoyed it just as much second time round. Even though I would have liked to have seen one of their beautiful ballroom dances, I admired Pasha and Ashley for doing the Troll Charleston in the final round - it certainly seemed like they had decided to do the dances that they wanted to do and that they had enjoyed - I also found it quite ironic that she who has been trolled in social media terms - became the troll!!!! A big 'two fingers' up I thought and the judges put their 'two fingers up' to the public by ensuring they gave her good comments and marks.

Stacey's paso was a fantastic end to the show and again was one of my favourite dances of the season. Joe didn't make much of an impression on me last night if I'm honest - I would have really liked him to have repeated his Blackpool quick step which for me was his best dance - but I suppose they incorporated a lot of QS in the Showdance.

On the subject of ringers, moving forward I seriously think that the production team have got to be careful about how many ringers they bring in to the show and what level of 'ringer-dom' they will accept - I know we've now had loads of contestants over the years who have been to stage school or been in bands and had a vague bit of movement or dance training - that is in a completely different league than what we had this year - and yet here I am contradicting myself as I think their presence pushed up the standard and because I voted for Faye and thoroughly enjoyed Ashley's dances throughout the season for what they were - excellent dance. confused confused

Perhaps though having the two of them in there was really a bit much - those two along with the you tuber Joe and his millions of followers seemed to put up a wall from fairly early on and which made it even more difficult than usual for the beginners to break through and by the middle of the contest it seemed as though there were two separate competitions going on - in a much more pronounced way than usual.

I think the progress of the men was interesting this year - at first they seemed strong so strong that there was no room for Lee Ryan. No-one did a 'Dad' dance on the first few weeks - Graeme was a revelation, Charles at that point seemed strong, Danny another revelation and seemed at the beginning as though he might be a contender and even Dr Ranj with his smile and his hip swinging got quite a way into the contest. Then up against the 'wall' they slowly dwindled one by one. Charles had the most intriguing 'J' for me - three dance -offs - he bounced back to get a '10' at Blackpool and for me he produced two of the most memorable routines of the season with the Couples Choice and the Samba.

I still find the early weeks of SCD fascinating as to who gets through and who does not when a lot of them start off at exactly the same standard - for example how does a Stacey catch the public's imagination and a Vick Hope does not? What made GBP send Lee Ryan home so early? Both seemed to have good potential. In past series it used to be the soap stars and big names who seemed to get a bye through the first few weeks - but it was not like that this year.

Finally - before I ramble on too much - I really do wish that the beeb would announce who has come second in the contest. Now that there is no mid-show elimination and all four go to the end I think it would be good to have a runner-up - every contest in the world has a runner-up - why not SCD??

Just off now to visit the 'Highs and Lows' thread - hope everyone is going to watch the Christmas Special and that we'll post on here? Dancing on Ice in January anyone??

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all ……………….it has been a pleasure to meet you all again this year......xxx rendeer rendeer santa santa

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Twirlie wrote:

Perhaps, but audiences still love the waltz, viennese waltz, quickstep, etc, etc.

And long may it be so Twirlie, what would life be without the Tower Ballroom:D , but so many things have changed and disappeared in my own lifetime that only The Lord knows what's in store for tomorrow. I'm an eternal optimist (I must be, I support Bolton Wanderers, Suspect ), but where, for instance, are the ballrooms today that every town had in the fifties and sixties, the pubs, the clubs, the cinemas, discos ? Where even, are all the corner shops, the grocers, greengrocers, ironmongers, butchers and chipshops not owned by Chinese folk? Even our window-cleaner uses a long metal water-powered pole to clean the upstairs windows and not ladders and my local newspaper is followed by dot com..Only Alfie, my little Shihtzu,keeps me on the go, chanting "slow-slow-quick quick," during his twice daily walks around the neighbourhood.

Tantric ballroom perhaps, or virtual partners to teach the latest steps without leaving your armchair? Choose you partner on screen and press "Enter". I'll have Erin or Natalie please..... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:59 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:... the pubs, the clubs, the cinemas, discos ? Where even, are all the corner shops, the grocers, greengrocers, ironmongers, butchers and chipshops not owned by Chinese folk?

Oh Mr T, you live in a very desolated area obviously. I confess we don't have a dedicated grocer, but everything else in in our surrounding area within a mile. Maybe we're just lucky.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:20 am

jingle wrote:

Yes, all my favourites were gone too. My ideal final would have consisted Graeme, Lauren, Kate and Charles, without any worry about the lower overall standard.  

Anyhows, I thought at least I'd be able to just sit back and enjoy last nights final without any emotional investment. But when the winner was announced I'll admit my toys were thrown out the pram, the TV hastily switched off, and this years series deleted from the Tivo.  It was a tantrum any toddler would be proud of.   Ah well, there's always next year......

If I don't post beforehand then I'll wish each of you a fabulous and peaceful Christmas, and look forward to sharing our thoughts about the Christmas special

santa  rendeer  santa  rendeer

lol! lol! lol! I think you have been spending too much time with Diva Diamonds (ie me) Jingle - you are perfecting your tantrum and strops! But I know exactly what you mean. I think I said it up thread - we sat rather deflated rather than our usual exhuberant selves post final. So not tantrums, just ra bit flat. And no galumphing around the kitchen in celebration :-(

And I also agree wit you about the finalists (which I also said up thread). It's a case of, if it is about a dancing competition then the ringers should win and not get any flack about being there. But if it is a popluarity contest then the really sweet, lovely triers, who have great partnerships should have been there. As it was, if you discount the ringers, then there was only two people to choose from and neither of them were favourites, with one couple being very much one of my agins. So I feel if it is a poularity contest then I should have had the opportunity to see two other j word people, so that I could have the option of voting for them. And my list is exactly the same as yours, although I would have left out Charles.

Oh well, next year!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:41 am

mauveangel09 wrote:

I still find the early weeks of SCD fascinating as to who gets through and who does not when a lot of them start off at exactly the same standard - for example how does a Stacey catch the public's imagination and a Vick Hope does not?  What made GBP send Lee Ryan home so early?    Both seemed to have good potential.   In past series it used to be the soap stars and big names who seemed to get a bye through the first few weeks  - but it was not like that this year.

Finally  - before I ramble on too much - I really do wish that the beeb would announce who has come second in the contest.  Now that there is no mid-show elimination and all four go to the end I think it would be good to have a runner-up - every contest in the world has a runner-up - why not SCD??

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all ……………….it has been a pleasure to meet you all again this year......xxx rendeer  rendeer  santa  santa

Apologies - forgive typos. It's late, I'm passed my best and I think faster than I type. Too knackered to go through and correct them. Sorry Sad

First of all - Twirlie that is a 'Strictly Does War and Peace' epic to be thoroughly proud of! I concur with pretty much all you said, and you said it all very well :-)

And Mauve, you also made a lot of excellent points.  Not least the intrigue of who stays and goes in the first few weeks. I remember being very afor Stacey sat first,and as I watched the Foxtrot on Saturday I remember thnking, when did I swing round to Agin and what made me turn?  Was it that Foxtrot?  I can't remember, though I do remember not liking her hair and dress at the time (still didn't). I was also very Afor Vick and thought she would go far, but she clearly didn;t have so much love from elsewhere.  I was fairly neutral about Lee, though Agin Nadiya, but did feel he had a bit more to give.  I really wish they were given more than one week without a dance off.  It would be good if they could all have four weeks under their belt to show us what they are really made of.  I always think that Week 4 is when everything really settles down and the competition really starts.  Some people are slow starters, but given that extra time they might catch up and even outshine others who looked great at the off.

And yes, Mauve.  It is SO frustrating not to know who came second and third (and fourth).  I can;t remember how we crept up to having four in the final, withoug having a half time elimination on the final night.  They used to do it when they just had three in the final. And then you knew unequivacobly who came second and who was third.  I don;t think it should be before the showdance, but maybe after that, so that just the last two do the couples choice.

Well, I'm burbling now.  I shall lurk around for a bit and come back at Christmas, though I may be a day or so late because I won;t actually be able to watch it on Christmas day.  So in the meantime, HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!  It has been a joy, as ever xx  [Reindeer; Reindeer; Santa; Santa!]
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 23 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next