Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2018 Diamond's 'Glamour, Glitz & Putting on the Ritz' Costume Thread

+4
Twirlie
allsewnonbyhand
diamondsandpearls
B4p
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SCD 2018 Diamond's 'Glamour, Glitz & Putting on the Ritz' Costume Thread Empty SCD 2018 Diamond's 'Glamour, Glitz & Putting on the Ritz' Costume Thread

Post  B4p Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:53 pm

No My knowledge of costumes can be fitted onto a stamp. I'm hoping that the superbly glamorous Diamond's will be willing to continue to report on all things Strictly Glitz this year, assisted by others 'in the costume know'. The alternative just does not bear thinking about Mad
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Diamond's 'Glamour, Glitz & Putting on the Ritz' Costume Thread Empty Re: SCD 2018 Diamond's 'Glamour, Glitz & Putting on the Ritz' Costume Thread

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:04 pm

I'm on my phone and I'm even crappier at typing on this than on a keyboard, but thought I'd make start..

I'll keep it brief for the above reason but the lovely outfits were:

Ashley both weeks
Vick both weeks esp the Giselle dress
Kate's tango dress
Amy's ballroom dress in week 1
Charles' red outfit
The tails that Shirley commented on (had a glass of amazing sauvignon blanc and now can't remember anything. I'm a lightweight)

Can do more depth when on laptop but feel free to wade in and supply your own details. Allsewn?

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Diamond's 'Glamour, Glitz & Putting on the Ritz' Costume Thread Empty Re: SCD 2018 Diamond's 'Glamour, Glitz & Putting on the Ritz' Costume Thread

Post  allsewnonbyhand Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:04 pm

I was a bit pushed for time last weekend and have to admit I didn't overly pay attention to sartorial matters...the two stand outs for me were Vick's lovely white ballroom dress- lovely -cheers  and Lauren's vile wishy washy green effort - Evil or Very Mad

I will up my game next weekend D&P!! Wink
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 pm

"I will up my game next weekend D&P!! Wink"

And so will I Allsewn, so will I!

And yes, I think elsewhere I kicked off about Lauren's awful minty green shorts affair. I think requested that Vicky Gill show more respect to an Olympic Gold Medalist and all round lovely woman! Clearly she is favouring Vick for having practically the same name, and Katyia's ongoing bribes are working and Kate seems to have taken note and is delivery homebaked goodies to the costume department, but there should be no need!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Claudia is definitely having a mid life crisis. First she dyes the tips of her hair, now she’s going for brighter colour in her dresses. Personally I like it. That white dress was stunning. Not the hair so much, she suits the all black hair, but I loved the white dress.
When Shirley came onstage Mrs Twirlie looked up from her laptop and said "Oh she looks like Miss Havisham". So true!
Of course The Matrix costumes were absolutely terrific. Brilliant.
I didn't think the wigs dept quite pulled off the Jessica Rabbit wig. Unshapely and stiff.
Loved the red shoes in the Grease quickstep.
Vick's outfit was pretty but Dr Ranj's and Lee's outfits were just boring.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Loved Vick’s Mama Mia outfit, and the white flowers going through her hair. On the other hand, Graziano’s outfit looked ultra cheap and poorly fitted. The trousers were too big for him, and his shirt became untucked.
Lee – felt sorry for him wrapped up in so many layers of clothes. Jeans rarely look good in a routine, and I thought his clothes spoilt the impact of his cha cha.
Loved Aljaz’s bunny tail – it’s the small details which which makes all the difference
Loved the sparkles in the middle of Graeme’s spiderman outfit. Also, a good job made of his face paint, as well as Kevin and Stacey’s yellow minion faces.
Really didn’t like Lauren’s Fame outfit which was unflattering. AJ looked like he’d been triple dipped in the fake tan - overall the 80s look didn’t suit either of them
Matrix costumes for Sean and Katya were excellent
Someone has already commented on the Honesty thread about shoes. There were a couple of dances where I noticed odd footwear. Vick did her salsa on a flat white pump, which would be unflattering for some people but I think she’s the type who could wear a bin bag and look good. The flat black and white shoes worn by Katie and Gorka were, I’m assuming, copied from Lalaland, but I didn’t like the look of them with her lovely yellow dress.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Some hits and misses this week costume-wise.

First, let's get the minions out of the way.  Whilst I abhorred last year's Trolls and what the blue tights did to whatsisname's (how soon I forget!) spindly little legs, I felt the costume totally characterised both Stacey and the dance (not that I'm saying Stacey is like a minion... just that she totally got into the part in a way that Whatisname never did for me int he awful Troll dance).  So, yes, the yellow peril actually worked.

I liked the skirt of Ashley's dress immensely. More than a nod the the Baby original, but with the lovely smoky grey panels to give it interest. Less keen on the top, but, whatever.

Seann and Katya's outfits, like the dance, were beyond superb.  Not only must Katya bribe Vicky and her team weekly with tasty goodies, it is clear she knows exactly what she wants and, more importantly, how to ask for it.  Briefing skills should ever be underestimated...

Vick looked utterly gorgeous. To be honest, I think she could wear a Troll costume and still look fabulous. Again, for the Salsa, I have no issues wiht the gym shoes.  It's how it's done on the streets, and we all know the best salsa dancers are on the streets.. .. Didn't notice Graztiano (sp?) - too busy looking at Vick and wanting to be her when I grow up...

Also mesmerised by Oti.  Apparently Graeme looked good in his Spiderman costume.  I really wouldn't know as I was transfixed by Oti - never even saw Graeme.  She looked amazing and her dancing was out of this world.

Spot on attire for Faye and she carried it off fabulously.  The bit at the end on the wobbly machine thingy was straight out of the film and I could easily have mistaken the pair of them for the original leads.

I was a bit meh about Jessica Rabbit.  It was accurate and yet.... And I don;t really like animals doing ballroom dances so bunny-tailed Aljaz didn;t do it for me.

Also undecided about Amy's outfit.  I haven't seen the film (yet... so calm down people!) so I don;t really know what it was trying to be, but the colour grated on me, particularly the pink wig which didn;t suit Amy.  However, I was admiring of how the outfit, which had a Western/showgirl feel to it, was able to lend itself to being swished about in the paso stylee, whilst retaining totally the showgirl character.

Amongst the misses was Karen's yucky coral/apricot affair.  Nothing wring with the colour except that it does nothing for her skin tones. And the style was very bland and said nothing. The dress in teh film was totally different and there wasn't even a nod to it. Also, Charle's uniform should have been hotter than hot.  But C.raig was on the money - Seann was hot in his Matrix themed costume - and to me much hotter than Charles, who I lusted after like nobody's business in his Week 1 red outfit.  No idea why he couldn't carry off the uniform.

Also a miss for me was Katie's yellow dress.  It was ok in itself, but it didn't have the flowiness of the one in the film.  And yes, the shoes were a very good copy of those in the film...  They looked better with the original dress (which should have been made with the offcuts of Joanne Clifton's Singing in the Rain dress - it was the right colour and had the right flow).  And what in heaven's to betsy is the hair woman doing to Katie?  When she is on ITT it looks absolutely fine, but on teh show it always looks like it is made of nylon.  And also nothing like Emma Stone's in LaLa Land... If they were all out and putting a wig on Kate surely they could have managed an auburn long bob for Katie??

Both Ruby (the Ozzie miss) and Jo looked dire. They had a meh tune too.  If Jo wasn't the social media star he is, with his five zillion gazillion followers, they would SO have been in the dance-off. I hated the dress as soon as I saw it on ITT on Thursday and wasn't won over by it being worn by an actual person.  As I haven't seen the film (or any of them) I have no idea if it was accurate.  But, like last year's Trolls, accuracy doesn't necessarily make it aesthetically pleasing.

The chief WTF...?? outfit was YASB's (that's Nadiya to anyone either new to the forum, or like me, forgetful of last year.... Stands for Yet Another Slinky Blond..).  If she was going as the Doc why the tasselly skirt?  If she was going to go all out cha x 3 then why go wiht the Doc syle top half of the outfit?  Have no idea why she couldn't have worn trousers.  A total contrast to Katya  - she either no clear idea of what she wanted it to be and hedged her bets or she is rubbish at briefing (and bribing) the costume team.  All a combination. You can tell I'm still not warming to her, can't you?

I was much less agin Lee's jeans than most people here.  It was what Marty McFly wore.  Had no probs with it. If Gorka had done the same routine int eh same outfit I don't think it would have riled peeps quite so much.  But I do give you that the jeans did enhance Lee's lack of leg straightening.

I wasn't keen on Ranj's Aladdin outfit - thought the better version was the one in the VT.  Jeanette looked.... odd as Jasmine.  Can't say why.

That's it - my memory has gone into spasm and I just can't remember any other people or outfits. Roll on to week 8 when there is a manageable number of people!

PS - Edit..just remembered Lauren... Vicky REALLY has taken agin her, hasn't she? Last week's minty fresh abomination and now this week's 80's style nightmare. It might have been from the 80s (sort of...) but it wasn't from Fame. If they are going to do the car then they should have had Irene Cara's red dress, or if they were going for straight cha x 3 then they should have just had a nicer cha x 3 outfit and fling the 80's under the next bus. It made Lauren - who is built like a gazelle - look like she has tree trunk legs. Deeply unflattering and deeply unfair. AJ - get Katya to explain to wardrobe what styling you are trying to achieve - you obviously can't communicate it! And send them some of your Nan's home-made brownies whilst your at it. Honestly... Rolling Eyes
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:18 pm

Another footnote as I always forget to comment on the presenters and judges attire...

Well!! Who'd have thunk? Tess gets the best dress out of them! The pink number was all out gorgeous and lovely, with no funny cut outs or cut offs or off cuts. Just a beautiful dress.

Wasn't keen on the top over a skirt white thing that Clauds had on, but I've seen a lot worse. A lot, lot worse...

Shirley and her diamante capelet-- hmm. Jury is still out. But loved her purple dress on Sunday.

Darcey tends to get the best dresses, but I can't differentiate between Sat and Sun's attire. One of them was slinky dark pink.. The other was slinky... some other colour. But they are always slinky.

But non-dance outfit of the weekend goes to Tess and the classic, classy pink dress. My ghast is well and truly flabbered! affraid
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:32 pm

flower Thanks Diamonds. A great round-up flower
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:34 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers
Finally......Lauren gets a decent outfit- she looked gawjus in that red dress

allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Loved the dress too.Also Vicky dress...Raj in purple looked good but gurningnot so much
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Diamond's 'Glamour, Glitz & Putting on the Ritz' Costume Thread Empty Re: SCD Glitz and Glamour Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:44 am

For me the two dresses you have mentioned were the best in a night that was a bit 'hit and miss' on the costume front. For the pro girls I thought that Amy's dress was gorgeous. 'Misses' for me were Karen along with Jo and Dianne.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:23 pm

So apart from Lauren whose dress we all seem to like, I also liked Vick's dress and Faye's beaded fringed dress. I'm guessing it was supposed to constantly move but unfortunately she didn't get that rumba fluidity so the effect was a bit lost. I agree that Amy's was the best of the pros, I made a note to myself to mention it! Other than that, not much to report - Graziano's pink suit was hideous. Kate's samba dress was such an awful shape Mr Alls said was she fat and I said quite the opposite, but a dropped waist is very difficult to carry off even if you're a stick insect. I wasn't a huge fan of Stacey's see through n.umber either, although I liked the 60s vibe with her hair. Oh and don't get me started on the hideous mint green jive outfits..... pale

Reckon they were all exhausted after movie week...
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:21 pm

It was hardly a vintage week for wardrobe and hair, but here’s a  few thoughts about week 4

Firstly, what was happening with Claudia’s off the shoulder dress, it had a rather strange shape as compared to T.ess more conventional dress.  Also, Darcy’s Bet-Lynch-styled black earrings- I thought they were ghastly.
Liked Vick’s quickstep dress, but I found Graziano’s pink suit distracting and not very classy.  Just thinking back to what Shirley said to Sean a few weeks back about ballroom contestants tying their hair back so the judges can see the neckline. Does the same principle not also apply to the women doing ballroom?  For example Vick, Ashley, Lauren, Stacey all had flowing locks this week, but not a peep from Shirley.

Really liked Amy’s gold dress, and Danny’s matching tie and pocket hanky.

In two minds about Faye’s rumba outfit. I liked the top half, but the strange fringing looked a bit impractical. Not sure what type of material it was made from, but any time she did a spin the fringing became entangled and looked messy.

Not fussed on Kate and Gorka’s look, but I think it was partly the colour I didn’t like. That mint- green and grey combination was used for Lauren and AJ’s charleston a few weeks back, and I didn’t like it then either.

Thank goodness Lauren got a good dress this week, but I didn’t like AJ’s red suit or his floral shirt.

I actually quite liked Joe and Dianne’s cha cha outfits. There was something familiar about Dianne’s checked top, and then I realised I’ve got a duvet cover in much the same colour design. Anyhow, main thing was that the high-waisted black trousers on Joe were much better at disguising his rather stick-like legs.

Kate’s blue samba dress and Aljaz’s horrible matching shirt were a dis---aaaaster.  Her dress looked a size too big for her, SO unflattering. I did wonder was she meant to have some sort of a matching headdress or a wig, because her entire appearance seemed unfinished to me.

Finally, my favourite outfits of the night were Janette and Ranj’s purple, black and white paso costumes. In particular I really liked Janette’s white skirt and her use of black boots, it all added to the visual impact (although my eyes were on her rather than him, maybe that was her intention).
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:53 pm

I agree with pretty much your summing up Jingle. Very Happy

Just one or two points where we differ either slightly or totally...

Faye's Rumba dress. I loved the gold tassels, but what I only noticed later - not whilst she was dancing, strangely - was some greyish-looking long tassly things which looked like they were made of crepe paper. I emphatically did not like them!

Jeanette's black boots with the white frou-frou... NO! Just no! They really jarred and irritated me affraid

Vick always gets nice dresses - she is probably a joy to dress to be fair.

Best dress of the night was Amy's beautiful bejewelled gold n umber. I covet.... She is getting some great dresses this season. I still rememember the gorgeous green one from the first week...

The It-Could-Have-Been-Fantabulously-Gorgeous-But-Missed-The-Mark Awarfd goes to Stacey's 60's throwback dress. Her hair was very A La Clifton dancing that jive (which I hated, precisely because of the hair and horrible pink outfit), which detracted points for me - there is a way of doing 60's hair which looks a lot nicer, but the real let down was the underskirt of the dress. It looked like white shorts to me. Ummm.... Why? It might just have been a very short skirt rather than shorts, but still... why? Better luck next time Stace.

The We-Very-Nearly-Made-The-Mark Award goes to Lauren's dress. So much better than any of her other outfits, and the vibrant warm pinks and oranges really suited her, but it stopped short of amazing. How hard can it be to dress someone with an outstanding physique and figure? She is slim, toned and shapely - she should be as easy to make a fantabulous dress for as Vick. Buck up Vicky and friends!

Poor Kate eh? I thought the top half was ok and I thought the colour suited her. But the bottom half was exactly the right length to make the worst of rather good legs. And the colour contrast and feather detail was just rather nasty.

I confess to never really taking notice of the men unless they are particularly good/bad. I believe Gratz was wearing pink - if he did, it didn't jar for me. I believe Graeme wore pink too? Funny how peeps didn;t mind his suit but hated G's suit... Question Ditto Joe's trousers - I noticed the white ones last week, but they just looked like normal black trousers this week. I don't recall them being paricularly narrow or tight? So no men stood out this week, I'm afraid.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:50 am

A couple of things that I particularly noted last night... Liked the high waisted trousers on the men especially Joe, as someone said in the honesty thread the wide trousers masked his skinny pins.
Stacey's definitely given Vicky and co some decent biscuits this week, her outfit was sensational. I also liked Vick's fringed dress, not that it did her much good on the night.
Kate is so willowy she must be a joy to dress, they seem to like the dropped waist on her. Last week she looked hideous but this week she looked elegant, and interesting coffee/ caramel (?) colour too.
Also liked Faye's foxtrot outfit- hadn't realised it was culottes until I read that on someone's comments - the colour really suited her.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 pm

Thank goodness they gave Kate a decent dress this week after last week's horror.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Yes good to see Kate in a much better dress, although I really didn't like the tan body stocking part of it, I'm not sure why that was needed.  I liked the sparkly accessories in her hair, which softened her appearance.
Dress of the night for me was Ashley's blue rumba dress, which was cleverly designed to let her do all the high kicking moves without incident. I thought the colour went really well with her blond hair extensions, and that the full sleeve and full back made it look a little more classy than most rumba dresses. The only negative was her very harsh eye make up, which I thought made her look a little rough.
Like Allsewn, I  loved the purple of Faye's outfit, which also went very well with the autumnal stage lighting
Not sure if the high waisted trousers were the best design for Dr Ranj, I thought they made him look too chunky.

Yet again T.ess outdressed Claud, her white trouser suit was really effective.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Diamond's 'Glamour, Glitz & Putting on the Ritz' Costume Thread Empty Re: SCD 2018 Diamonds 'Glamour, Glitz and Putting on the Ritz' Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:03 pm

I see that the mint green costumes were in evidence again last night! Although I thought Dianne carried off the colour well. I know most of you have commented that Jo's trousers suited him better than the drainpipes but I'm afraid I didn't like this costume overall - I didn't like the silly cap and felt he would have looked better in ballroom tails.

I thought the costumes were good last night. I loved Kate's coffee dress and her headdress, this was one of my favourite costumes last night. I too loved Faye's dress and Ashley's outfit. Both Graeme and Oti looked excellent. I thought Janette's dress was quite nice too - it suited the routine. I didn't like either Seann or Katya's outfits - Seann looked very hot and Danny must have been quite hot in his get-up - and after he had been so energetic.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:29 pm

Mint green and high waisters seem to be this years signature.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:07 pm

What was Paloma Faith wearing? Looked like she'd been round Vicki Gill's bins. Liked her leprechaun shoes though. Maybe the colour green is some sort of code this year. Suspect
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:02 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:I see that the mint green costumes were in evidence again last night!  Although I thought Dianne carried off the colour well.

Hmm - I thought she looked paticularly dreadful actually - they had carried on the minty fresh theme into her eyeshadow and it offended my eyes quite substantially...

Ok, I know it is still fairly early days and thus there are still a shed load of dancers to dress and so Vickster and her semsters are up against it, but with a couple of exceptions (mainly for Amy and Katya) even the nice dresses have just been that - nice.  But not amazing.  When they showed Katie Derham dance the lovely Foxtrot on ITT recently I was taken with the contrast in just how unbelievably stunning that dress was, in comparison to this years'.  Vick has had some ok dresses (and she always looks gorgeous) but there has been some bits and bobs about them that haven't added up so they end up in the 'nice' but not 'stunning/amazing/to die for' category.

So shoot me - I'm picky...

Of the crop this week, Kate got an ok dress and Katya got a shocker - which is most unusual for her.  Clearly all the media hoo-ha has impacted on her briefing/bribing skills.  The colour of the bow round her head drained her.  And whilst the skirt shape was lovely the the polka dots were more daytime than Strictly Sparkle time.  I could cope with the top half being the opposite colourway to the bottom half, but the top half was all blouson-y rather than sleek and fitted like the bottom half. A dress of two halves which didn't marry up.  Me no likey.

I agree Mauve about the cap thingy on Joe and about being in tails.  I have had no problems with Joe's straight-legged trousers from other weeks.  If they had been truly skinny-legged I might have something to say, but straight legged (or drainpipes, which equal the same thing) is fine. I am very used to skinny men!  And I don't think the wider trousers made Joe look any less skinny anyway.

Faye's dress could have been a corker but was spolit by the insertion of a nude panel as a faux slit-to-the-stomach neckline.  It would have been better to keep the neckline as just a normal deep (but respectable!) V and all in purple.  They seem to be doing this nude panel in the front quite a lot this year and it is one of the bits and bobs that jar and offend my eyes.  Completely unnecessary.

Ashley's was the dress of the night for me.  Beautiful.

Tess and Claud got rubbish dresses again whilst Our Shirl and the Dame got lovely slinky n umbers again.  Do wardrobe not like the presenters?  Or have Our Shirl and the Dame got something on Vicky and will let loose if they don't get drop dead gorgeous dresses?  They definitely seem to be given a bigger budget than Tess and Clauds. Not fair!

It is so long since the event that I can't remember any more (filppin' wifi!), but if anything occurs to me I'll get back to you!

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Whilst having nothing at all useful to add to this thread, I fear its title will be somewhat ignored on Saturday... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:43 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Whilst having nothing at all useful to add to this thread, I fear its title will be somewhat ignored on Saturday... lol!

It SO will...

And I doubt I will be bothered to comment :-(
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:55 pm

LOL!  It looks like no one else could be bothered to comment either...

All I've got to say is:

Ice Queen - gorgeous
Wicked Queen - stunning
Faye and Gio - weirdly sexy!

Interesting how Lauren said that costume made such a difference in how she danced....  I've been banging on about the importance of a good frock for years! (And hair and make up. And good music...[but that's for another thread!])

And wasn't it nice of Karen to lend Stacey her hair for the night?
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next