New Couples Choice Dances 2018

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Couples Dance Choice

Post  mauveangel09 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:35 pm

I think we discussed this a lot in our pre series conversations - I really love contemporary dance and it is quite accessible as a dance form because it doesn't have to be done in a couple (one of the many reasons why it doesn't belong on SCD for me) but being ballet trained is an advantage and as the clips that have already been posted show - apart from Caroline Flack, it hasn't gone down that well when done as a Showdance in the final.

Like most of you - I love all forms of dance but I watch SCD because it is about couples dancing ballroom and latin and I think that there are other latin dances or jive styles that could have been introduced if they want to shake things up and bring something new into the picture. The James Brown track being used by Charles and Karen is more funk than Street really. Burlesque? Can't see it on an early evening 'family' show can you?? Embarassed I think the jazz style will be the one most accessible to a lot of the celebs and I think it will be popular as it could be like an adapted American Smooth and seems to 'belong' more - but I take it that they now can dodge another latin/ballroom n umber which is a shame.

As has already been said eloquently in other posts - to think that any of these couples (except for the ringers) could master any of these styles whilst also trying to learn latin and ballroom is a tall order and I think those who most want to impress will fall back on creating a 'lift fest' so that we'll actually see very little of the character of the genre being attempted. For me it would definitely work better as a theme night.

Lastly - I feel that it certainly will take a lot away from the Showdances in the final - to be honest I feel that they have been losing their impact for some years anyway...…….. Thumbs down from me really because I think there are other better things that could have been introduced...…………..How about bringing back the Fusion Night? It was brilliant but never repeated????? Shocked Shocked

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re: New Couples Choice Dances 2018

Post  diamondsandpearls on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Ooh -Fusion Night! That a genius idea that came off brilliantly in actuality. More of that definitely Smile
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Re: New Couples Dance Choices

Post  mauveangel09 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Yes it was a mystery why they never repeated it yet kept all those ridiculous 'thons' - 'Jiveathons' 'waltzathons' or whatever...……….. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:37 pm

They're going to have to choose their contestants very carefully to have then do an interpretation of Jennifer Beale's "Flashdance (although she didn't actually do much of the dancing herself) both in the examination dance hall and more so in that night club....
very carefully indeed... lol!
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:21 pm

mauve - I didn't know you were physic!

On ITT tonight AJ let it slip that he was putting 10 lifts into their contemporary dance. The boy's obsessed with lifts. How much time will her feet be on the floor? Will it be long enough to see any dance steps?
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:51 am

They'll be calling me 'Mystic Meg' soon!!!! lol! But I think we can all 'forecast' how this 'Couples Dance Choice' thing will go down...…………………. Suspect Suspect

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 pm

It does come across as unfair to only have two couples under the new category spotlight tonight. Unfair to everyone. Unfair to those that have to do it as they are only just getting to grips with basic dance elements. However, it is also unfair to the others doing their dances as they will be picked up on missed elements or dance lacking appearance of what it is meant to be whereas those doing contemporary dances it seems like it is a do as you please-type dance - almost show dance-esque.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Couples Choice Week 1

Post  B4p on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Well what did anyone think?

I didn't enjoy Lauren & AJs. I agreed with Cr aig that it looked like a series of snapshots that didn't flow together very well. I couldn't decide if her feet were supposed to be angular or pointed? Did nothing for me I'm afraid.

Charles & Karen. I liked this better, but that was probably more down to the music. They both seemed to be enjoying themselves, so I did too. Glad Charles got some positive comments. He looked like he was about to burst into tears. Let's hope he gets more votes this week.

Not sure how you could mark either of them though.
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:00 am

Personally, they felt far more like show dances and left me confused. What was good and what was bad? What were they doing that they shouldn't and vice versa etc etc. Lauren and AJ's was far too lift littered. I prefer my dances to have a modicum of footwork and postures to judges. The only real positive for Lauren was that she was far more expressive in what she did. I agree with the person (apologies I forget the sensible poster) who said that the street dance suited Charles - it did and it was much less dependent on lifts. I just found it hard to judge as don't really know what to be looking for.
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:51 am

On the bright side....not a nightie in sight- yet!!

I agree CC it's almost impossible to mark as what criteria are you using? All I know is that I enjoyed Charles' more, but I couldn't say if he was technically any better scratch
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 pm

I think if you put a contemporary dance up against a street/commercial dance, the latter is always going to win because it will be fast and fun no matter how well it's danced.
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:44 pm

Twirlie wrote:I think if you put a contemporary dance up against a street/commercial dance, the latter is always going to win because it will be fast and fun no matter how well it's danced.

And I think that sums it up - contemporary often lacks impact and does not have the razzamatazz of street/commercial or jazz/theatre. Look at how many times couples have done a contemporary based Showdance and it just hasn't gone down as well as the other offerings. As someone has said on another thread - I can't see many of them choosing contemporary - and I don't think it will suit many of them.

I also agree with all of you when you say that it is difficult to know the criteria on which the new dances are being judged, except on enjoyment value alone, which is more or less what Shirley said. I so enjoyed Charles and Karen's dance but it did help that it was such good music and that it was an appealing funky style routine(not sure I will feel the same if someone does a very modern urban street routine). Although the timing and steps were impeccable -as CC has said - it would have been a great Showdance, which sadly Lauren and AJ's would not be. I still think that Couples Choice will play into the hands of the ringers but I suppose because the brief is so loose it could pick up on anyone's strong points, as Charles showed - so that could be a positive.

I still think they could have introduced some different jive and latin styles rather than this and I do worry about the impact on the Showdances in the final. I suppose time will tell...………...

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2