Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search engines

+2
Mslightfoot
MrsArcanum
6 posters

Go down

Search engines Empty Search engines

Post  MrsArcanum Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:49 am

As we know from the bot Google is finding this site, as does Yahoo. Worth doing some searches on scdbbc to raise the profile Very Happy

I have submitted the address to bing as it was not finding this site apart from as part of a single post from Chris82 on the bbc blog reply. Always found bing blummin useless but most people don't realise it is their default search engine. Mad
MrsArcanum
MrsArcanum

Back to top Go down

Search engines Empty Re: Search engines

Post  Mslightfoot Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:35 am

What language is this, there are some words I recognise but, mostly, confused
Mslightfoot
Mslightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrissyAnne Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 pm

MrsArcanum wrote:As we know from the bot Google is finding this site, as does Yahoo. Worth doing some searches on scdbbc to raise the profile Very Happy

I have submitted the address to bing as it was not finding this site apart from as part of a single post from Chris82 on the bbc blog reply. Always found bing blummin useless but most people don't realise it is their default search engine. Mad

Translation please Mrs A Exclamation
ChrissyAnne
ChrissyAnne

Back to top Go down

Post  fkaIgor *LT* Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:35 pm

ChrissyAnne wrote:
MrsArcanum wrote:As we know from the bot Google is finding this site, as does Yahoo. Worth doing some searches on scdbbc to raise the profile Very Happy

Translation please Mrs A Exclamation

I think its a way to help other people find the site, or at least to make more people aware of its existence - but, as usual, am prepared to suffer correction.....
fkaIgor *LT*
fkaIgor *LT*

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsArcanum Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:36 pm

The various search engines out there such as Google are used by people to find interesting websites and forums.

The more a particular site is found and selected following a search the higher up the list it gets.

Google searches do find SCDBBC but other search engines do not.
MrsArcanum
MrsArcanum

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrissyAnne Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 pm

MrsArcanum wrote:The various search engines out there such as Google are used by people to find interesting websites and forums.

The more a particular site is found and selected following a search the higher up the list it gets.

Ok, got that, I think but what is a bot and a bing? Shocked
ChrissyAnne
ChrissyAnne

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsArcanum Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 am

Bots are the search engines finding the site.
MrsArcanum
MrsArcanum

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tee Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:54 am

MrsArcanum wrote:The various search engines out there such as Google are used by people to find interesting websites and forums.

(Puts on the nerd hat). It's a fair bit more complicated than that Mrs A. There are several things that'll put a site towards the top of a search engine's list, but a key one is how many other sites link back to that site. Back in a previous life I spent hours listening to online Marketing types banging on and on about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation - in laymans terms how to get to the top of the list). The only thing I really learned is that no sooner do you think you've got it sussed than Google decide to change all the rules.

(takes off the nerd hat). I quite like the fact that it takes a bit of effort to find this site. As Basil Fawlty would say - "no riff-raff".
David Tee
David Tee

Back to top Go down

Post  Inanna Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 am

David Tee wrote:

(Puts on the nerd hat). It's a fair bit more complicated than that Mrs A. There are several things that'll put a site towards the top of a search engine's list, but a key one is how many other sites link back to that site. Back in a previous life I spent hours listening to online Marketing types banging on and on about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation - in laymans terms how to get to the top of the list). The only thing I really learned is that no sooner do you think you've got it sussed than Google decide to change all the rules.

(takes off the nerd hat). I quite like the fact that it takes a bit of effort to find this site. As Basil Fawlty would say - "no riff-raff".

...think thats a matter of opinion.....have you checked out Fka's hair!!!!!!
Inanna
Inanna

Back to top Go down

Post  David Tee Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:29 am

Inanna wrote:
David Tee wrote:

...think thats a matter of opinion.....have you checked out Fka's hair!!!!!!

Unfortunately, the system isn't perfect.
David Tee
David Tee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum