Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly Book Club - list of books read

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Strictly Book Club - list of books read Empty Strictly Book Club - list of books read

Post  Lucielle Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:14 am

Choice
Book Title
Author
Month
N/a
Strangers on a Train
Patricia Highsmith
March
N/a
Before I go to Sleep
S J Watson
April
N/a
The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins
April
Jingle
The Hidden Child
Camilla Lackberg
May
Sax
The Radleys
Matt Haig
June
Alls
The Other Hand
Christ Cleave
July
Lucielle
The Report
Jessica Francis Kane
August
Jingle
Life on Air
David Attenborough
September
Sax
My Last Duchess
Daisy Goodwin
October
Alls
The Night Circus
Erin Morgenstern
November
Lucielle
A Red Herring without Mustard
Alan Bradley
December

Last edited by Lucielle on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:10 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Loads of amendments plus December book added.)
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Strictly Book Club - list of books read Empty Re: Strictly Book Club - list of books read

Post  saxonsiren Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Excellent work Lucielle!! Quite a few thrillers in the list!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Strictly Book Club - list of books read Empty Re: Strictly Book Club - list of books read

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:21 pm

Lucielle we have also read & reviewed The Hunger Games book one!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi Sax - I don't think that was an official book club book. I remember the book was discussed and some have chosen to read it, but my understanding is that it never was a selected book for our club because I didn't want to read it. We are quite at liberty to read whatever book we want to between official books as some read faster than others. As you know I am notoriously slow. There was just one book I skipped in order to catch up with the next one and that was The Radleys. Very Happy
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Three of us did post reviews on Hunger Games I felt it was a book in the book club!! I know you didn't wish to read it.I skipped the other hand as I felt strongly re the book.If reviews posted to me its a book club surely.

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:12 pm

saxonsiren wrote:If reviews posted to me its a book club surely.
Not necessarily. Anyone can post reviews on any book to compare with others who have read the same book. It doesn't have to be a book club book to post reviews.

Without having to trawl back through the pages to find out what was said at the time, let's wait for a response from Jingle and Alls.
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:22 pm

I think you're both right Very Happy
Strictly speaking, we didn't become 'official' until the monthly rota started, which was my first choice of Hidden Child in May. The choices before that were arranged on quite an adhoc basis. There was a discussion/agreement (with Lucielle opting out) about HG as a joint read after BIGTS so I'd suggest it goes into the table, but with Choice as N/a (if it went under Sax's name then the rota wouldn't make sense)

I flicked back over past threads, and noticed that Sax suggested HG on 16th April, and I'd bought, read and reviewed it within five days! Shocked Very glad that we've set the monthly routine now, thanks to our club am managing to slow down a bit and actually think about what I'm reading rather than trying to race to the finish. So thanks guys.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks, Jingle. Have put it in now. I missed that completely at the time because I had no idea it was one of our book choices. As you say, it was a bit ad-hoc back then.

Just to clarify for the future, anyone can read books outside of our book club choices and write a review about it, either on the book thread itself or making a separate one. We don't have a monopoly on the Strictly book thread. In fact, it would be nice to see more people do that.

So glad our book club is proving beneficial to you. I know it has made me more committed to reading. I can't remember having read so many books in such a short space of time. Beforehand, if I was indifferent to a book I would just discard it, now there is motivation to press on. I especially like reading other people's opinions and, have to say, that it gives me a deeper understanding of the book because we all come at it from different perspectives.

Whilst writing, have you noticed that David Attenborough is soon to have a programme on BBB2 about his 60 years filming wildlife. We all ought to try and see that because I wouldn't mind betting it will cover a lot of the things we have just read about.
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:34 pm

Lucielle wrote:Whilst writing, have you noticed that David Attenborough is soon to have a programme on BBB2 about his 60 years filming wildlife. We all ought to try and see that because I wouldn't mind betting it will cover a lot of the things we have just read about.

Yes I did notice that Lucielle! I'm definitely going to watch it as I'm sure it will touch on many topics raised in our reviews- I wonder if it will answer any of our questions?
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 am

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
Lucielle wrote:Whilst writing, have you noticed that David Attenborough is soon to have a programme on BBB2 about his 60 years filming wildlife. We all ought to try and see that because I wouldn't mind betting it will cover a lot of the things we have just read about.
Yes I did notice that Lucielle! I'm definitely going to watch it as I'm sure it will touch on many topics raised in our reviews- I wonder if it will answer any of our questions?
It's a coincidence this film is being shown - having just read his book.

One of the questions that was uppermost in my mind whilst reading his authobiography was how he felt about Christianity now that he has seen so much evidence for the evolution theory. I wondered because I had imagined that he would have had a church upbringing - if not a fairly strict one. Have just found an article, as recent as yesterday, which talks about that very thing. I wonder whether this is something he will talk about in his programme.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/evolutionist-david-attenborough-renounces-atheism-says-there-might-be-a-god-68255/
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:11 pm

I shall look forward to the new programme.It may clear up some questions from LoA it might add more!! David shows a unique style of broadcasting & I wonder who would be his successor??

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 pm

It's interesting, I think, that this programme wasn't brought out as a tie-in with his book as it is the perfect opportunity to promote it. Did the Beeb miss a marketing opportunity?

One person who I do like, but is not in Attenborough's league is Chris Packham. He really knows his wildlife but I'm not sure how global he is with that knowledge. I can't think of an obvious successor to DA who has the gravitas.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:40 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:It's interesting, I think, that this programme wasn't brought out as a tie-in with his book as it is the perfect opportunity to promote it. Did the Beeb miss a marketing opportunity?
Maybe, in the light of the book's popularity (and the fact that we'd done lengthy reviews all of which were highly complimentary Razz) they saw the opportunity for this programme - or maybe David did himself. After all, he was always looking for ideas for programmes even if this one does promote himself?

allsewnonbyhand wrote:One person who I do like, but is not in Attenborough's league is Chris Packham.
Now you're talking ! I absolutely love Chris Packham and will watch any programme he's in - even (boring) quiz and panel shows. Shocked Apart from his knowledge, I love the way he puts the subject across - oh, and did I mention, he's fanciable too ! Embarassed

allsewnonbyhand wrote:I can't think of an obvious successor to DA who has the gravitas.
Nor can I. I see Richard Hammond (Top Gear) is jumping on the wildlife bandwagon. Tbh, although I love wildlife progs I haven't watched any so far. Has anyone...?
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:47 pm

I don't mind Chris Packman not fanciable to me thou.I like George forget his second name who's speciality is insects.Or the gorgeous curly hair man who filmed the bears with his family!!I haven't watched Autumn Watch on prinicipal of appalling comments re Bill Oddie.
I watched a Disney Film re Lions/Cheetahs does that count?
I miss Big Cat Diary! It just disappeared off our screens.I am enjoying Michael Palin's Brazil.

Sax
mmmm am I missing something
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Lucielle wrote:
allsewnonbyhand wrote:One person who I do like, but is not in Attenborough's league is Chris Packham.
Now you're talking ! I absolutely love Chris Packham and will watch any programme he's in - even (boring) quiz and panel shows. Shocked Apart from his knowledge, I love the way he puts the subject across - oh, and did I mention, he's fanciable too ! Embarassed

Yes he is rather! I served him once in a pub I worked at as a student- he was just starting out then, I think he did the Really Wild Show with Michaela Strachan at the time. He came across as quite shy or maybe he was just embarrassed to be recognised.
He is also an excellent wildlife photographer, you will often see his name in the credits
Top guy really then! Wink
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Yes Sax, I loved big cat diary too- gripping stuff. He's really good isn't he, that guy, is it Simon King?
I lik ePalin too, I thought of him in response to your question re DA but he doesn't have the knowledge and he is getting on a bit himself now- but I do quite fancy him! Embarassed
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Simon King is a good contender re DA its not the bear guy thou!! Trying rack my brains now as he is very yummy!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:57 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
Lucielle wrote:

Yes he is rather! I served him once in a pub I worked at as a student- he was just starting out then, I think he did the Really Wild Show with Michaela Strachan at the time. He came across as quite shy or maybe he was just embarrassed to be recognised.
He is also an excellent wildlife photographer, you will often see his name in the credits
Now I'm jealous! Embarassed Lucky you! I think he is still rather shy that's part of the attraction - and the lisp, of course. Wink
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Alls sent you an email re book to read!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:17 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:Yes he is rather! I served him once in a pub I worked at as a student- he was just starting out then, I think he did the Really Wild Show with Michaela Strachan at the time. He came across as quite shy or maybe he was just embarrassed to be recognised.
Lucielle wrote:Now I'm jealous! Embarassed Lucky you! I think he is still rather shy that's part of the attraction - and the lisp, of course. Wink
Embarassed Before anyone thinks I have a lisp fetish - the lisp is endearing. Very Happy
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Lisps!! Does Chris Eubanks come under the lisp fetish? Very Happy

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:17 pm

yeeuuch!! he's defintely not my cuppa!! pale
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Choice
Book Title
Author
Month
N/a
Strangers on a Train
Patricia Highsmith
March
N/a
Before I go to Sleep
S J Watson
April
N/a
The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins
April
Jingle
The Hidden Child
Camilla Lackberg
May
Sax
The Radleys
Matt Haig
June
Alls
The Other Hand
Christ Cleave
July
Lucielle
The Report
Jessica Francis Kane
August
Jingle
Life on Air
David Attenborough
September
Sax
My Last Duchess
Daisy Goodwin
October
Alls
The Night Circus
Erin Morgenstern
November
Lucielle
Alan Bradley
December
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 am

First attempt pants!!!

Sax

Last edited by saxonsiren on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 am

Lucielle wrote:
Choice
Book Title
Author
Month
N/a
Strangers on a Train
Patricia Highsmith
March
N/a
Before I go to Sleep
S J Watson
April
N/a
The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins
April
Jingle
The Hidden Child
Camilla Lackberg
May
Sax
The Radleys
Matt Haig
June
Alls
The Other Hand
Christ Cleave
July
Lucielle
The Report
Jessica Francis Kane
August
Jingle
Life on Air
David Attenborough
September
Sax
My Last Duchess
Daisy Goodwin
October
Alls
The Night Circus
Erin Morgenster
November
Lucielle
Alan Bradley
December
Sals
Life of Pi
Yann Mantel
January
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next