Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too early for "Tens?"

5 posters

Go down

Too early for "Tens?" Empty Too early for "Tens?"

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:25 pm

After this weeks show & the elusive "10" being wafted about I thought is it too early for a ten? For me I saw maybe 9's but not quite a 10 yet. When C.raig gave a seven and even he admitted he was shocked to see a row of "10's" Does it stop the thrill of a 10? If the couples are on 10 level now then where do they strive to from here? As the quater finals & semi finals draw near the judges get "picky" usually.How can they justify a couple going from a 10 to say an 8 when they criticise footwork? Heel leads? Neck/head position,hands,lack of bounce? It seems to me as if some judges are forgetting to overlook mistakes for the reaction of a 10.Give a ten when you you have been wowed,thrilled,titivated off your seat by a dance not for audience & self gratification.Imo it sullies the thrill of a 10.
Anyone else agree 10's are being handed out to easily?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Too early for "Tens?" Empty Re: Too early for "Tens?"

Post  gingercodgers Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:32 pm

Tens have first been handed out in week 3 once,week 4 twice,week 5 three times,week 6 twice,week 7 twice and week 8 once ( all different series). This series the first ten was in week 6 so it is not out of the ordinary. I think what struck me was in other series you might have got one ten but this weekend there seemed to be a lot of them.
gingercodgers
gingercodgers

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:04 pm

Yes Ginger the odd 10 out early in some series thou not as many in one night before quater finals. I forgot & must look up who had the first 10? ever & who scored a perfect 40 first
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:05 pm

gingercodgers wrote: I think what struck me was in other series you might have got one ten but this weekend there seemed to be a lot of them.
I think the E num bers in the Blackpool Rock might have gone to the judges heads or maybe the Kiss-Me-Quick hats affected their cerebral blood flow. It might have been the inhalation of chip marinated malt vinegar or a simple pandemic of infectious paddle-ten-itis.

Last edited by B4p on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Excellent diagnosis B4p! Now trying to ponder re the first 10?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  gingercodgers Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:19 am

B4p wrote: a simple pandemic of infectious paddle-ten-itis.
lol!
gingercodgers
gingercodgers

Back to top Go down

Too early for "Tens?" Empty Re: Too early for '10s'

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Yes agree with all of you...... and the posts are hilarious on here.............
I konw that we have seen some '10's earlier and I was starting to think that D arcey was the new A lesha, who had a habit of dishing them out early, but then L en and B runo started wading in! but I agree totally it was the sheer quantity on Saturday night - almost like a semi final or final night. After all the dissection and unravelling of scores during ITT it would transpire that everyone made a few errors or could have improved something - (as we all thought! so no '10's in my book. It will be interesting to see how things pan out from here because I can't see that this level of scoring is sustainable and will be quite boring by the time it gets to the final weeks. ??????

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:20 pm

I tend to agree mauve.If couples are now at a "10" level where can they go from here? It feels as if their j.ourney has been completed & they just need to turn up & look lovely now.Usually by now the judges are nitpicking re as KH advised gapping,hand placement (no smutty jokes now!) timing issues. L.en & B.runo seem to be set on everythings wonderful 10 for you lovelies oh pur lease lets not nitpick about hands,necks,gapping the audience are on their feet 10! When C.raig gives his first 10 Im sure more of the couples will value this one 10 over all the others put together.
This week Im expecting 40's & oh go on then lets hand over the glitter ball now already!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  gingercodgers Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:43 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Yes Ginger the odd 10 out early in some series thou not as many in one night before quater finals. I forgot & must look up who had the first 10? ever & who scored a perfect 40 first
First 10 ever was Natasha and B.rendan, series 1 week 5 for would you believe it  SAMBA!!!!!!!! (you would think B.rendan would love it) given by A.rlene. Everyone else gave it a 9.
The earliest 10 was series 4 week 3 for louisa and V.incent's Jive by B.runo.
This series the first 10's were in week 6 for Natalie and A.rtem's VW from B.runo and D.arcey.
First ever 40 was in series 2 final for Jill and D.arren's Jive.

While I have been looking back I do feel that 10's were for more memorable dances in the early series. Ricky Whittle seemed to get a lot but I can't for the life of me remember any off the top of my head, apart from their showdance which was nothing but a lift fest.

While I was at it I looked at who had given the most 10's out and was surprised to see it was B.runo with 117. L.en came in on 91 with C.raig bringing up the rear with 30.
gingercodgers
gingercodgers

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Wow Ginger I hadn't realised how many tens B.runo had given out & how few C.raig has given.I thought Natasha would have had the first 10 amazed we waited so long for Jill Halfpenny's 40. I recall Ricky Whittle but cannot recollect any of his dances! Earlier series the 10 came out as you say for memorable dances yet this series it feels as if a ten given for giving it some wellie!

I wonder if we compared the 10 dances of this series & any possible 40's would they be as spectacular as say Camilla & Tom's showdance or Team Cola or Dvo's 10's
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  gingercodgers Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm

saxonsiren wrote: this series it feels as if a ten given for giving it some wellie!

lol!
gingercodgers
gingercodgers

Back to top Go down

Too early for "Tens?" Empty Re: Too early for '10s'

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:23 pm

I remember the American Smooth done by Ricky Whittle because at the end it had a big pressage lift (like the one in Ben's routine on Saturday night) I remember that some of the judges were sniffy about it and said that it was the sort of lift that belonged in a showdance and wasn't in keeping with the usual AS lifts - they were almost saying it was too over the top. I remember this so clearly (they obviously did not get any '10s - at least I don't think they did) but haven't times changed now with the big and showy lifts just part and parcel of the show now!! I don't really remember much about what else they did except the 'Charles Atlas' Showdance!! Funny - I know he is nothing like Ashley but I somehow draw a few similarities in terms of his being very good but not really being memorable a lot of the time. Anyway - I was supporting Ali Bastian that year and I honestly cannot remember whether as the third place she had already been eliminated before the finals night because it was a 'two couple' final?? If she did perform I don't think they got to do a Showdance -not 100% certain but I think there was a different policy then and the eliminated couple went out before the showdances - Someone fill in the blanks please??????

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlebear Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:18 am

Ali Bastian went out in the semi-finals leaving it to be a two-person final. They each did 5 dances.

I remember lots of Ricky Whittles dances. I watched his Quickstep so many times I it was glorious. His waltz in the semi-finals was also goregous, a real tear-jerker. The AS with the big lift divided the judges (or at least divided CRH & L.en - one of them said the lift was out of place, the other said it was in perfect harmony with the song's climax). Ricky didn't get to do a Charleston as it was the first Charleston series and some of the couples did rock n' roll instead, which was a real disadvantage. It left Ricky Whittle at a real disadvantage in the finals.

Ali Bastian's Charleston was gorgeous and is still one of my favourites, but the public seemed to prefer the more outlandish Cola Charleston, which had no technique and no swivel. I never did understand why things went so badly wrong that year. There were some really memorable dances I felt - the QS, and Waltz from RW, the Charleston and VW from AB. But people only ever talk about Cola's gurny jazz hands charleston!
Littlebear
Littlebear

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:02 am

Brian & Ali yes I recall their dances yet still none of Ricky (I had to youtube it & watch lift after lift) yes it has turned round now with huge lifts etc part & parcel of the show. I do recall one couple who managed to dance their showcase dance! despite being knocked out Brendan & Lisa Snowden! Pure entertainment & pleasure made a lot vote for team cola's Charleston! A great showcase dance can put your hands on the trophy or whip it away from you recall DOLLGATE! Sad Sad oh E.rin!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Too early for "Tens?" Empty Re: too early for '10s'

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:48 pm

I will never forget 'DOLLGATE' Sax!!! I remember really not knowing what to make of it initially and then it sunk in and everyone was cringing. I was so upset for E rin and Colin - still one of my all time favourite couples. I was watching that programme with some friends - a lot of festive cheer was going on and my husband (then my boyfriend) was quite drunk and was hurling good natured abuse throughout, and DOLLGATE played right into his hands - he didn't like SCD then but I'm pleased to say he does watch it now!!!!

Think how many finals have been won or lost on the Showdance - I love it how the Showdance seals things- either reinforcing someone's right to the Glitterball or completely taking you by surprise and changing everything. For me Lewis by no means had it sewn up until that night for me, any of them could have won last year. Before that I was wondering whether Chelsee or Jason could trump Harry - then there was Tom Chambers I never thought he would win until that dance. As we are reminiscing I wonder how things would have ended up the year that Kelly Brook had to pull out?

Thanks so much LIttlebear for filling in the gaps on the Ali/Brian/Ricky year - yes it was a weird one............. I loved Ali and Brian, particularly the charleston and the VW but on that final night I supported Ricky on principal because he was the best dancer.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:55 am

Mauve I loved Colin & E.rin. I was gutted as they should have won! I agree a Showdance can lift or swipe away the glitterball trophy.Tom Chambers dazzled in his & Louis just shone in his! Who this year will come out with a knockout showdance?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down