Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costumes 2014

+11
Wallflower
allsewnonbyhand
cellar-door
Moova 12
fiftynotout
TANGOLERO
lualen
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
hatlady28
15 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Costumes 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: Costumes 2014

Post  Sid Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:57 pm

Good on you for resurrecting thread the diamonds Smile

I suppose Vicky and the rest of the team also have to consider Kevin's theming for their routines when designing Kellie's outfits coming up with an overall look. That doesn't explain all her "wardrabs" but I think it has to be taken into account when reviewing them. If a routine has a naff theme don't expect a chic outfit!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:16 pm

Do they have riding boot style dance shoes to go with my Mr Darcy's father outfit? Only I wouldn't want to be barred admission like the Duke of Wellington once was from the famous Almac's London Assemly Rooms for turning up in said riding boots.(It's the truth) Those silk knee stockings are allright for buffoons like Mr Hurst or the Reverend Collins and co, but not macho enough to tempt me, you know. Cool
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:47 pm

Sid wrote:Good on you for resurrecting thread the diamonds Smile

I suppose Vicky and the rest of the team also have to consider Kevin's theming for their routines when designing Kellie's outfits coming up with an overall look. That doesn't explain all her "wardrabs" but I think it has to be taken into account when reviewing them. If a routine has a naff theme don't expect a chic outfit!

I quite agree Sid - which is why I say Kevin needs to butt out. If you had to dress like the theme every week then Janette and Pete would have been dressed like cupcakes...affraid

You can tell a story in dance without being dressed up like the characters you are meant to be depicting. You can give a nod in the direction with fabric or texture or accessory - which other pros seem to accept. A.ljaz and A.liona always tell wonderful stories with their choreography but their partners usually look ok (actually, sometimes not A.liona's partners... SHE always manages to look princessy and glamorous though!) Kevin and Janette are just WAY too literal with their choreography and clearly Kevin wants that reflected in the costumes Rolling Eyes

And speaking personally, it detracts significantly from the performance. Ballroom and Latin are about old style glamour (it says so in my rule book of dancing.... Wink ) - if a woman is wafting around in a gorgeous dress it can take your mind off the less-than-perfect dancing. If a chap is dressed to kill looking as hot as a chilli pepper it will take your mind of those clumsy lifts. Bad outfits make me grumpy before they have danced a step -which makes me picky and intolerant of any faults. I will actively look for them. And they will NEVER get my vote. I didn't vote for Caroline last year, ever (no idea how she won as clearly my vote counts for everything... Wink ) and I haven't voted for Kellie at all either.

Dress and makeup count for an awful lot of my percentage of marks for a dance. Music choice is also very important - it creates or deflates the mood of the dance - and the content/choreography counts too. Very little of my marks go on execution - I have little technical knowledge (make that none....) and so I look for an overall effect.

Kevin and Kellie consistently fail to impress me as they have terrible clothes, worse music and increasingly rubbish routines. All performed with technical aplomb by Kellie, but leaving me cold. This does NOT mean that I want a beautifully dressed c.leb dancing to a great tune with marvellous choreography who just messes around for comedy value. I DO want to see the c.leb taking it seriously and trying - Judy last year and Jezza this year were execrable dancers, but they took the training seriously, tired very hard and improved. And Judy always looked wonderful. Job done.

Costume is SO important!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:49 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Do they have riding boot style dance shoes to go with my Mr Darcy's father outfit? Only I wouldn't want to be barred admission like the Duke of Wellington once was from the famous Almac's London Assemly Rooms for turning up in said riding boots.(It's the truth) Those silk knee stockings are allright for buffoons like Mr Hurst or the Reverend Collins and co, but not macho enough to tempt me, you know. Cool

If they have soft, leather soles for dancing, then yes, certainly! A bit of macho on the dance floor is never a bad thing..... Wink
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:56 pm

Actually, D & P, I think nothing looks better on a man dancing ballroom than upmarket style evening dress, ie tails, tuxedos, white/black ties and patent leathers. Of course, I'll support the Rudolf Rassendel/Rupert of Hentzau style of elegant dashery and the Darcy Regency attire (but keep both in the ballroom, of course). Smart is well, er smart. Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Literal themes -  yes Diamonds - at the risk of going 'off topic' when the thread has only just been resurrected.  I believe that Kevin, his wife and Janette just totally overdo the theme aspect of all their dances to the point of irritation and saturation - and you are right S id - it influences the costumes and styling and almost limits them.   Virtually all the other pros withdraw the themes - even if they keep the props - in a subtle way as the competition progresses  (except on a theme week of course)  and let the dances start to speak for themselves.   Even when K evin and Kellie attempted a more elegant foxtrot earlier in the series - it still had to have a theme around her grandparents - which was sweet - don't get me wrong - but totally uneccessary.    It surely can't be lack of confidence on the part of the pros in question, that they have to 'hide' behind very literal themes all the time - there is a balance surely?     I know that K evin is a cheeky chappy type - but so are some of the other male pros but they still manage to do some elegant grown up dances - he has done a few in the past but really seems stuck in a groove this year.

Sorry - back to costumes - in general I have liked the costumes this year which is why K ellie stands out in not a good way I suppose.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:02 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Actually, D & P, I think nothing looks better on a man dancing ballroom than upmarket style evening dress, ie tails, tuxedos, white/black ties and patent leathers. Of course, I'll support the Rudolf Rassendel/Rupert of Hentzau style of elegant dashery and the Darcy Regency attire (but keep both in the ballroom, of course). Smart is well, er smart. Very Happy  

ABSO-LOOOTELY Tango! A man in tails with good posture is positively swoonsome. Or even a tux. I remember at uni I didn't think much of the majority of the very small He is. And we obey him. of males we had on our campus. And then at the end of year balls they would turn into these gorgeous demi-gods in their tuxes and I would think -'where have this lot been hiding?' before realising it was the self-same rancid oiks that had been annoying me all year...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:10 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:Re: Literal themes -  yes Diamonds - at the risk of going 'off topic' when the thread has only just been resurrected.  I believe that Kevin, his wife and Janette just totally overdo the theme aspect of all their dances to the point of irritation and saturation - and you are right S id - it influences the costumes and styling and almost limits them.   Virtually all the other pros withdraw the themes - even if they keep the props - in a subtle way as the competition progresses  (except on a theme week of course)  and let the dances start to speak for themselves.   Even when K evin and Kellie attempted a more elegant foxtrot earlier in the series - it still had to have a theme around her grandparents - which was sweet - don't get me wrong - but totally uneccessary.    It surely can't be lack of confidence on the part of the pros in question, that they have to 'hide' behind very literal themes all the time - there is a balance surely?     I know that K evin is a cheeky chappy type - but so are some of the other male pros but they still manage to do some elegant grown up dances - he has done a few in the past but really seems stuck in a groove this year.

Sorry - back to costumes - in general I have liked the costumes this year which is why K ellie stands out in not a good way I suppose.

Well, I never mind anyone going off topic (but then I'm not a moderator...) and anyway, I think your points are inextricably linked with the costumes. And basically, I couldn't agree more with you. It makes me wonder whether Mr and Mrs Clifton and Janette are actually competent enough choreographers.... having to hide behind an in-your-face theme doesn't scream confidence to me.

And I also agree that with the exception of Kellie and pos one of Jamelia's the costumes and have been glamtabulous this year. Helen's dress in week 1 is burned into my retina, it was so gorgeous, with Katie's AS dress from last week also making me drool. Which is why I am pretty sure any ropey dresses are not the fault of wardrobe but the pros and the c.leb's themselves.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/20/590x/secondary/Helen-George-365076.jpg

(BTW Mauve - I find myself often nodding in exact agreement with your appraisal of all things strictly, and wishing I could express myself as well. You and Sid usually say what I want to say but so much more eloquently!)

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to insert a pic of helen's amazing frock)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:31 pm

Great to see this thread up and running again (still no sign of Hatlady Crying or Very sad   I hope you're fit and well and still enjoying your dancing, wherever you are)

I so agree with you all that Kellie seems to be this years victim of shapeless, unflattering outfits.  I also think Peter has had a few shockers, especially his Blackpool outfit.

As for last night, agree that Anitas white mosquito tent affair didn't do much for the rumba, in fact at times it looked like it was obstructing her movements.  

I know there's mixed opinion about Katies AT dress last night - I did like the shape and fit, but for some reason the colour green just didn't feel right to me for an AT. Think I've come to associate some dances with particular colours...for me the AT brings to mind red, purple, black,  but not green.

Having re-watched Jay's tango several times on youtube, I'm liking Alionas red dress more and more, I think it added to the visual impact.

I so agree with you Diamondsandpearls, that the impact of a performance is so influenced by dress, make-up, hair, music choice...I'd add to that the stage lighting, which can so often create or ruin an atmosphere.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:40 pm

jingle wrote: I'm liking Alionas red dress more and more, I think it added to the visual impact.  

I so agree with you Diamondsandpearls, that the impact of a performance is so influenced by dress, make-up, hair, music choice...I'd add to that the stage lighting, which can so often create or ruin an atmosphere.

A.liona usually looks gorgeous - she even looked amazing as Little Red Riding Hood - sort of Princess Red Riding Hood. She clearly understands the importance of looking the part (ie old style glamour, rather than being a cowgirl...) and knows how to brief wardrobe. Jay sometimes looks a bit lacklustre though. His tango outfit was was a bit meh. He needed to look a lot more grrrrr! (Not facially - it's about the cut of the trousers etc which brings home the feel of 1920's Buenos Aires....)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:08 pm

Come to think of it, pretty sure I remember Aliona wearing that red dress before, I reckon it's probably one she owns herself. Agree about Jay's tango outfit Diamonds, was a bit boring. Didn't like what they'd done to his hair either, it looked a bit boxy. And speaking of hair,  eek! pale   what was going on with Tess's big waxy hairdo tonight?  Not a good look...
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:17 pm

jingle wrote: what was going on with Tess's big waxy hairdo tonight?  Not a good look...

I know jingle! They get the dress right and then do that to her hair. Like someone had run chip fat through it!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:56 pm

I wrote a spiel but it seems to have gone into the ether so I'll try again.

I know it's not strictly about the costumes, but I think hairstyles are all part of the overall look.

I liked Georgia's hair style with those sort of corn plaits which kept her hair off the front of her face as they did their Paso. I think whoever does Georgia's hair gets it right most weeks. It always suits the theme, looks on trend, but has some aspect of young quirkiness to it.

I enjoyed Jay and Aliona's Tango but kept wishing I could see Aliona with her old red flaming locks. She always looked so dramatic. I read somewhere that she was pressured last season to have her hair dyed blonde to fit in better with the other blonde pros but I don't think it suits her. She looks washed out, particularly when she wears that dark purple lipstick. I noticed Jo Clifton has had burgundy hair for the past few weeks and remain hopeful that Aliona can sneak some red back in.

I thought Janette looked a lot younger when she wore that black bob flapper style wig (also worn by Anita) the other week. Her usual long straight lego locks with unforgiving deep fringe drags her already long face down even further.

Kristina has gone all wavy blonde 'Marilyn Monroe' again after a couple of seasons of long straight styles.

I liked what they did with Helen's hair this week too.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:47 am

B4p wrote:I wrote a spiel but it seems to have gone into the ether so I'll try again.

I enjoyed Jay and Aliona's Tango but kept wishing I could see Aliona with her old red flaming locks. She always looked so dramatic. I read somewhere that she was pressured last season to have her hair dyed blonde to fit in better with the other blonde pros but I don't think it suits her. She looks washed out, particularly when she wears that dark purple lipstick. I noticed Jo Clifton has had burgundy hair for the past few weeks and remain hopeful that Aliona can sneak some red back in.

I liked what they did with Helen's hair this week too.

Oh I so agree with that! Aliona looked so much better with flaming red hair! I don't think that blonde hair does her any favours at all. And why on earth do they want all the female pros to look the same? I'd like a bit more variation in hair colour to be honest.

I think that Helen looked gorgeous this week. Her hair and her outfit looked perfect and fitted the dance beautifully.
Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:25 am

Love this thread. I agree Kellie must have upset wardrobe early on or maybe it's her own unique design ideas No ? For me this year I have disliked the tight jeans and the awful,awful flapping pockets! Why on earth have we moved to skinny jeans/trousers anyway? I have liked the long shirts on the male pro dancers in the right dance but not all the time. What's next, v neck jumpers,turtle necks,ripped jeans,male jumpsuits?
The dresses slowly have looked cheaper and less flamboyant over the years and surely even the buttercup dress will soon fall apart.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:27 pm

It appears that I am the odd one out in not liking Aliona's red locks... sorry Sad It was the red that I thought was too harsh and made her looked washed out, whilst I think the strawberry blonde suits her skin tones. I also HATE Joanne Clifton's burgundy. She is actually a natural blonde and that dark, dark red really robs her colour and she looks ill to my eyes. I LOVE red hair on natural red-heads, but I think a dyed job always goes against the skin tones in the way other colour dyes don't seem to. Rita Hayworth is a rare exception, I am the first to admit. (But I'm going to take some time out on the naughty step anyway, to atone for my crimes against the admiration of dyed red hair). I also abhor the use of dark purple lipstick (even at Hallowe'en). Nobody can carry that off with glamour (apart from maybe Theda Barra - and only because she was always filmed in black and white....)

And I'm going to carry on with the theme of being a partypooper on hair, by saying, sorry B4P, but though I liked Georgia's hair as a hair style, I didn't like it for the Paso. I thought both dress and hair didn't really bring the spirit of the Paso. I thought Darcy's hair on Saturday more Paso that Georgia's!

Kristina's hair was back long and straight at the weekend, I notice B4P. She had a big quiffy thingy. She must have extensions that she can take in and out at whim. Or maybe you can push her belly button and her hair grows or shrinks accordingly... Actually I'm so sad she went out so early this year. We haven't seen enough of her - and she works SO hard at her choreography and is a great teacher. I really think she deserves the glitterball. I really thought she might come through, right at the end, last year with Simon. But sadly it was not to be...

And poor Tess. She is a very beautiful woman (naturally, I;ve see her sans make-up) but they do seem to want to make the least of her instead of the best. I thought her hair on both days was pretty dire, but the results show eighties-throwback horror was really cruel. Oh, and I didn't mind the white dress on Saturday. Not the best, but not awful....

I will try and get back in step with everyone now and not be so disagreeing!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:55 pm

I don't want a set of dancing clones but I have to say I thought Aliona's red hair cheapened her overall look. It wasn't flattering. She looks better now.  I don't mind the burgundy so much on Joanne though.

Make-up really went to town on Georgia's eye-liner didn't they? Could barely make out her eyes! I felt Katie's look was let down slightly by her make-up too. It was a bit...Addams Family. Too severe, it aged her.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:03 pm

Sid wrote:I don't want a set of dancing clones but I have to say I thought Aliona's red hair cheapened her overall look. It wasn't flattering. She looks better now.  I don't mind the burgundy so much on Joanne though.

Make-up really went to town on Georgia's eye-liner didn't they? Could barely make out her eyes! I felt Katie's look was let down slightly by her make-up too. It was a bit...Addams Family. Too severe, it aged her.

Yes - it was that dark, unflattering lipstick again.

I kinda didn't mind Georgia's eyeliner, given the overall look. ie, it wasn't paso either, but went with the dress and hair that they provided. And it WAS sparkly.... Very Happy
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:28 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:Kristina's hair was back long and straight at the weekend, I notice B4P. She had a big quiffy thingy. She must have extensions that she can take in and out at whim. Or maybe you can push her belly button and her hair grows or shrinks accordingly... .

I will try and get back in step with everyone now and not be so disagreeing!

You do make me smile diamonds Smile at least we all seem to agree that hair and make-up make a good talking point!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:47 pm

B4p wrote:

You do make me smile diamonds Smile at least we all seem to agree that hair and make-up make a good talking point!

Glad to be of service B4p! Very Happy

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:07 pm

Best dress: Helen's
Worst dress: Georgia's (didn't like the colour on her and the style was a bit mixed up)
Clone dresses: Anita and Katie - almost the same top just different skirts

Special award: Helen's fabulous safety shorts - they pushed the dress from quite nice into the realms of wondrous-ness
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:41 pm

OMG.....!!

Kellie in Quite-Nice-Dress shock!

(The green rumba number [ooh, another free rhyme for your there peeps. As always, you are most welcome...])
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Missing Helen for her frocks. Loved Katie's Waltz dress and the Charleston dress was nice too (though too fitted and not dropped waisted enough to capture a true roaring twenties vibe) but not as lovely as some of her past frocks.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:19 pm

Kellie in Another-Nice-Dress Shocker!

What's going on?

They must be giving her Helen's dresses...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Costumes 2014 - Page 7 Empty Re: Costumes 2015

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Mostly very nice costumes last night I thought- particularly both of Katie's dresses. I also liked Georgia's cha cha dress, the VW dress was understated and looked like it had been put together very quickly (probably had - given the circumstances) but it suited her. At last a nice dress for Kellie for her American Smooth but I wasn't keen on the rumba dress, looked cheap material, like that used for an amateur dramatic production - and they always seem to make most of her costumes look very 80's, this one included. I really liked Anita's foxtrot dress but the salsa costume was a shocker IMO - the shoes were terrible, very disappointing. On the male side I didn't care for either of Jay's two costumes - the pro men by and large looked very good.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next