Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costumes 2014

+11
Wallflower
allsewnonbyhand
cellar-door
Moova 12
fiftynotout
TANGOLERO
lualen
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
hatlady28
15 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Costumes 2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: Costumes 2014

Post  saxonsiren Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:16 pm

I thought it was blue and green should never be seen?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:52 pm

What was that red floaty bin bag that Caroline was touting?

Not sure about Mark's 'slug streaked' sweater ensemble
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:45 pm

B4p wrote:What was that red floaty bin bag that Caroline was touting?

Not sure about Mark's 'slug streaked' sweater ensemble

I wasn't keen on the red sack job either on Caroline.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:58 am

Goodness me, what are the costume department thinking of this year?  I'd forgotten about Caroline's chiffon scarf, it was blotted out of my memory by O.la's two hankies held together with very little.  But the travesty of the evening was Mark's jeans and jumper effort.  For an American smooth?  I was so affronted that I forgot to watch the dance, it totally spoilt it for me scratch
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Costumes 2014 - Page 2 Empty RE Costumes 2014

Post  Moova 12 Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:38 am

Who is dressing the men?
Totally agree Mark's outfit was awful. Tim in a waistcoat. I think ballroom dances need the more formal attire.

put a vest on you strumpet needs more underwear - two dresses very similar in the first two weeks. Liked Alison's red and black outfit but she has to get higher shoes. Sunetra's dress looked beautiful on ITT but I can't decide if it came across on screen.
I always wonder if the pros like Brendan wear their own costumes. He does seem to have the sequin/net shirt off to a fine art and they usually fit well. Unlike Scott's trousers. I know it was how he danced but he had so much sock on show!!
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:05 pm

One week O.la might just wear a band aid! Hated the jumperand tight trousers on Mark-I got quite glued to his bottom! Was it that perky or was he sticking it out too much? Gregg's chef outfit gave no hint of shaoe or movement. Caroline must have upset the dresser as she appeared to have given her widow Twankie's shrawl to dance in.
I recall the gorgeous floating dresses from previous years,Gethins uniform mmm and top hat n tails! Now we have a white tight skinny trouser look well that looked far from comfy.Lucky Thom dill dead between the eyes couldn't show us his discomfory.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Taxi for Wardrobe........
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:40 pm

According to chachachavvy on DS
Apparently Jennifer and Tristan asked to wear pink for their routine because they knew it is the favourite colour of a little girl from Dublin who is undergoing treatment for cancer and who was in the audience tonight. It was Tristan who arranged for her to attend the show.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:42 pm

B4p wrote:According to chachachavvy on DS
Apparently Jennifer and Tristan asked to wear pink for their routine because they knew it is the favourite colour of a little girl from Dublin who is undergoing treatment for cancer and who was in the audience tonight. It was Tristan who arranged for her to attend the show.

Aw. How sweet!

I hated that red formless mess that Caroline wore for her tango. So infuriatingly UGLY and ruined the epic-ness of their dance! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:11 am

cellar-door wrote:

Aw. How sweet!

I hated that red formless mess that Caroline wore for her tango. So infuriatingly UGLY and ruined the epic-ness of their dance! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Ditto

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:21 am

cellar-door wrote:I hated that red formless mess that Caroline wore for her tango. So infuriatingly UGLY and ruined the epic-ness of their dance! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Agree. It was most distracting and she's talented enough not to need that.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:22 am

Will be interesting to see what Hatlady makes of it this week - but I think the costumes have been a bit hit and miss over the first two weeks and agree with all the comments on the men's costumes - Trent looked like Bertie Wooster in tweeds! I thought at the beginning when all the cast gathered on stage that they looked a bit like the cast of a pantomime.

The costumes have been superb over the last few years and there have been some lovely costumes so far this year particularly on the pro girls with the exception of Mrs J ordan and Iveta who seem to be competing for the best dressed lap dancer at the moment - but there have also been some odd costume choices too. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:51 am

Can’t wait until we get rid of some more couples……15 pairs…..30 costumes…..2 presenters……4 costumes……mentioning pro dance…..Sigh.

There was quite a lot in the papers in the lead up to this years season about toning down the costumes and not making them quite so overtly sexy. Thus plunging necklines, or at least cleavage is not featuring. No more male nipples. I forecast male vests for the rest of the season. Now, about the chiffon floats which were not just on Caroline but on ALL the pro girls for the Frozen dance. I think they look more Rhumba than anything else, suggestive of nightdresses and we are going to see more of them. They are intrinsically sexy in that the implied risk is for the whole dress to whip up and expose EVERYTHING underneath. Of course, all the women have very secure very covered under-pinnings, but the illusion is there. Yes, they have bare backs but they are another way to do sexy that doesn’t involve cleavage and that is what the costume department needed. We are probably going to have to suck it up and get used to them.

Claudia and Tess: Mark one: Tess got a long white dress that was fitted so when ever she slouched it didn’t look great, but the neckline slashes were a good Tess style. Claudia was wandering around in purply pink with drapes armholes/sleeves. Very awkward shape suggestive of the 70s…..didn’t work. Mark two: We know it is Sunday night, slightly more casual in that we get knee length for Tess, Claud and Darcey. Whereas, Saturday night is full length. Tess in, what I think one poster called the Chinese Empress look. Nice black pattern on white, but the bodice top, neck and little cap sleeves were all too constricted. It would all have looked much better if her messy hair had been up in a very tight top bun or tail. The hair clutter with the pattern was not good. Claud was 60s, nice white dress with beaded top. It is a period that suits her both physically and emotionally. Unfortunately, it took her to the end of the evening to figure out how to sit in a short skirt.

Darcey Mark one:teal chiffon over a slip underdress. Darcey is mostly seen in close-up, head and shoulders. The tops of her dresses need to be ones where the little clip on microphone doesn’t destroy the line and the look. The earrings, again for someone being shot in close-up, too heavy and swung too much making them a distraction. Mark Two: LBD with waist detail, unremarkable.

Thom and Iveta

Thom in the red vest and white trousers with Iveta in a two piece pink and red bathing suit with cording fringing and a keyhole opening for her belly-button. The top was solid, no cleavage. The skin on show was largely innocent.

Jennifer and Tristan

One of the more successful mature woman dresses. Lovely wrap bodice of pale mauve pink over red with some silver sequin detail. Waist was slightly dropped, vee neck, again no cleavage. Swirl of pink skirt over a red petticoat. She even had pretty pink foil shoes. Tristan compliments in grey suit (black would have been too heavy for this couple) mauve shirt red tie and pocket handkerchief.

Simon and Kristina

Simon in dark blue shirt, black waistcoat, tie and trousers. Kristina black dress with well covered slip bodice and blue sequin detail. Two hip slits with a froth of blue chiffon from both. Good thing her hair was up as we had blue sequin chains decorating the bare back. All good, but not earth shattering. (Back chains have often been featured they seem to be making Lots of appearances this year)

Greg and Aliona

Greg in a chefs white coat and black and white check trousers with Aliona in black and white waitress dress that was actually more complicated than it looked at first. Under piece with black sequins and a flirty skirt, frilly white ankle socks and very solid black shoes. All fine really, right for the Charleston and not overdone. (I’m not taking about the props here, just costumes!)

Alison and Aljaz

The large lady. Many large ladies are trying at all times to try and look as small and slim as possible and can be found wearing huge quantities of black. There is another choice, one which Alison has made in her daily life, to go BIGGER to really be there with both colour and style. On Sundays one can see flocks of West African ladies in their best clothes off to church. All of them wearing big bold patterns with wonderful wrapped head dresses in fabulous colours. Wardrobe has bought into this, so when looking at her costumes remember she does not want to look as small as possible. Her costume was a good take on classic 80s business style for ladies, wrapped red top with tie, black skirt with sharp triangles of grey pinstripe around the back. Yes, her shoes were low heels, not completely flat as some have said. That wasn’t the problem. They were dusty black and ugly. Had they been shiny black patent leather, they would have been fine. Aljaz continued with the male 80s office look, braces, black tripes on white shirt red tie and black trousers.

Jake and Jeanette

Jake’s yellow vest, short sleeved teal shirt and rusty red trousers had quite a bit of detail to lift it. The vest had diamante studs, the shirt a small red pattern (makes the surface come alive even from a distance) Janette had a tow pieces ruffled yellow number with modest midriff. The ruffles were edged with red making more of a connection to Jake.

Judy and Housewives choice

The costume department is having a picnic. Tall slim woman without a big bust, easiest shape to dress. I think Judy may be in the show just for the frocks, seeing herself in a new way. She knows about dedication and commitment in competition….she ain’t doing that. This week she got aqua lace yoke and sleeves with a pretty wide neckline, band of dark blue sequins solid fabric for the dress’s body, waist detail and brown strappy shoes…..why? While not making performance or prop comments….I will say the tennis rack was a big mistake. That is her work, that is something she takes very seriously. Her whole manner changed when she picked it up. A,nton made a major boo-boo there. No chance of a flirty cha cha with real life intruding. A.nton was A.nton in medium blue short, blue cravat, grey braces and cream trousers

Caroline and Pasha

The red chiffon float…..I’ve already talked about this in general terms at the start. Under the float she had a sequinned mini with a black band at the waist visible through oval holes, suggesting a black belt. Okay, whatever else you can say, these dresses move, they are not static, every twist and change of direction was accented.Yeah, I know not really tango, but I liked it in the end and given that we didn’t have classic tango music, it was perhaps more appropriate? Pasha had a browny grey shirt with matching shawl collar on his black waistcoat. Finished off with black trousers.

Tim and Natalie

Tim had a sparkly blue shirt, grey waistcoat, grey trousers…..and a pink tie. Mickey Mouse? playing up to the Disney music? I get that they are using his natty television personality, but, I think he could with a bit a pushing rise to elegant and it might make him more confident in his dancing. Natalie was the Disney princess in beautiful white, long one-shoulder, silver sequin detail and lots of net petticoats.

Sunetra and Brendan

Why a white fringe classic Charleston dress? Not bad, just WHY? detailed with silver studded straps. The big news here was that Brendan has taken advantage of James’ departure and stolen the top half of one of O.la’s catsuits…sequinned black lace with black trousers.

Mark and Karen

The costume department were tying here with Mark, this ensemble was inspired by cool Sammy Davis and Steve McQueen. Hard to believe I know, what was supposed to be high end knitwear both top and bottom wasn’t. The light blue trousers were a disaster. At first I thought the flies were badly cut and then I wondered if he was enjoying the evening too much. In any case, you have to be cool to wear this kind of thing. The pale grey top with its bands of silver sequins at the yoke would have been detail stitching in real life. The shirt collar just peaked out at the top. Black shoes didn’t help. What was American Smooth about this…..don’t know. Karen was fine in long-line multi-coloured pastel lace top cord back detail with pale aqua full skirt.

Scott and Joanne

Dogs-dinner couple of the night. Scott brown shirt and tie, serious tango colours? Then we lightened up with pale grey waistcoat and trousers more of that knit. Too short trousers gave us white socks…..all topped of with a huge rose buttonhole. Scott is beginning to give off a Mr. Bean vibe. Joanne if anything was almost worse, frumpy tight dated long dress with tight bunchy ruffles at the bottom and pink lace at the top. The worst thing was her hair, continuing with the childish high school feel they seem to be trying, it was a long badly done tail…..

Pixie and Trent

This was interesting in that Pixie had nixed the macrame (see Thursday costume spot) that would have covered her midriff. Can understand that, the macrame is bulky and lumpy, not flattering but that left us with what had been intended as complimentary cording at the neck and around the back over tight lace bodice….a bit odd. Aside from that full skirt chiffon with a multi-level hem like the chiffon floats. Why a mauve wooly shawl? Don’t know. I think that Trent in his brown plaid suit and mauve shirt was meant to give us a slightly romantic period feel, as though this eiderdown feather had just landed in his real world and he had to wrap her up and keep her warm.

Steve and O.la

Nothing wrong with Steve….Khaki bush top and brown trousers….And then there was O.la blue fringe, multi coloured cords around the hips and covering cleavage…..a mess on the whole.

Frankie and Kevin

Nothing wrong given the theme. Frankie in pink chiffon with vee neck and white collar, cuffs to short sleeves and white waist small bow. The problem is that plimsoles stick, they are meant to stop you falling over. Very difficult to do the Charleston swivels while wearing them. Keven predictable in white tee shirt, black leather jacket, and jeans with turned up cuffs.

Whew, done.

hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:38 pm

cheers Bravo Hatlady!

Loved your remark "The dogs dinner of the night!" Re Scott's outfit!! I see many beautiful Afrian women dressed in high colour and beautiful head wraps so loved Alison's ensemble. I understand your comments re the chiffon cover regarding Caroline's awful red sack! affraid omg every week thou? So you forecast vests vests no clevage save a band aid for Ms O.la!! Please give O'la a floaty long covered dress!
Do you feel Hatlady especially Marks outfit the dress designers are trying to be thoroughly modern hip hpp? I recall Penny Lancaster with the gold boots? I thought that worked quite well!
I understand Jennifer wore pink for the little girl she was supporting re cancer.Im just not a fan of baby pink pale

Oh for the Tom Chambers, Rachel Stevens,Louisa beautiful outfits

Hatlady thank you for enlightening me once again re each celebs ensemble!
Wish ITT had you on the FNP
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks, HL, for the review!

I am guessing chiffon typed dress must be quite 'in' at the moment, but the blindingly red they keep using meant I can't see any of her shape while she was dancing. I have to rewatch the dance to know she had great top line, beautiful footwork and very, very staccato, syncopated movements, and matched Pasha beautifully. All that lost in the distracting extra 'movements' that detracts rather than accentuate the QUALITY of the dance. I think, like her Cha-cha-cha, Caroline was criminally undermarked... But this may not be a bad thing for her in the long run...
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Thank you HL for an in depth review.

I thought Natalie and Frankie had beautiful ball gowns. I liked Kristina's Tango dress.
I thought it interesting that O la was complaining (before Strictly started) about the Beeb wanting the female celebs to have even more scanty outfits this year.
I thought Pixie's bare midriff ball gown looked odd.
Brendan seems to be recycling his own dance clothes.
What is happening with the male outfits? Trent (the young go-getter) looked like Bertie Wooster and I hope Mark's trousers had some lycra in them as it must impede his leg action being in those straight leg jeans. I hate that look where the girl is all glammed up and the bloke looks like he's just grabbed his second best T shirt and shell suit bottoms to look Ream. Tim would have really suited a formal 'tails' look. Jake looked like a bovver boy but it suited him. Poor Scott looked like he'd borrowed Norman Wisdom's trousers. All he needed was a flat cap.

I liked Claudia's white 60's style dress and her Carmen Miranda headgear. It's nice to see Claude in a bit of colour. I can't see her in pastels but some dark shades that are nearer to her normal black might be a half way point.Wasn't keen on her in shocking pink.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:05 pm

hatlady28 wrote: Claud was 60s, nice white dress with beaded top. Unfortunately, it took her to the end of the evening to figure out how to sit in a short skirt.

The costume department were tying here with Mark, this ensemble was inspired by cool Sammy Davis and Steve McQueen.  At first I thought the flies were badly cut and then I wondered if he was enjoying the evening too much.

lol! lol!

Thank ever so much for your dedication to Costume Corner HL. Interesting about Alison and wardrobe embracing her size rather than trying hard to disguise it.

I dislike the brown trouser obsession with the men, just ghastly. And I'm not keen on Ballroom dancing in a crop top. I think I'm a bit traditional in that regard (boring!).

Judy is the worst dancer but the best dressed. Also loved Sunetra's outfit and thought Nat's dress was stunning.

I didn't mind the colour of Claud's show one dress but not the shape and cape sleeves (?). Might have suited her if she was taller, to me she looked a bit swamped.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Costumes 2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: Costumers 2014

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 pm

Great review Hatlady

I liked Kristina and Nathalie's dresses - gorgeous - I see what you mean with Pixie and Trent - it was perhaps supposed to be a romantic poet theme - Keats, Shelley etc with the ethereal girl on the bridge etc but 'fraid for me was Bertie Wooster dancing with a lovely Greek Goddess type.

I also liked Jennifer and Judy's dresses but I'm afraid I will never warm to the floaty/drape thing - Caroline can carry it off but some dancers would look like a ship in full sail!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:42 pm

I think the floaty veil thing could work if at least part of it was fitted. I'm thinking of a Grecian type dress that's floaty but with the cross your heart bra top going on. (Get me - I'm so techno! - NOT)
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:51 am

Poor Greg. He was looking forward to being Strictlyfied and he only got a waistcoat in week 1 and a Chef's outfit in week 2. I've asked Zoe via Twitter if we will be seeing the men's outfits on ITT anytime? Can't remember them showing those before.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:56 pm

Not wonderfully well..........normal service will resume shortly.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Sorry to hear that HatLady, sending *hugs*

Get well soon x
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:56 pm

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Hatlady .X.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:57 pm

Sad
Aw, sending you warm wishes for a speedy recovery Hatlady xx
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Sending you big hugs and wishing you a speedy recovery Hatlady. Lots of bugs going around lately. My poor niece went to Greece few weeks back felt poorly and now in hospital with Hepatitus A Crying or Very sad
I disliked Simons outfit ensemble this week! Looked as if an extra had been shoved on the dance floor with a minutes notice!
Mark's trousers far too tight and informal.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next