Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tess to find new edge

3 posters

Go down

Tess to find new edge Empty Tess to find new edge

Post  saxonsiren Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Im not keen on Tess attempting B.rucie's jokes! Tess looks a little uncomfortable on her own as main presenter.I do wish we had guest presenters each week as a try out for a permanant trio,C.laudia with the couples post dance abd the dyo of Tess and ?? Presenting.
How would you say Tess could change? If at all?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Tess to find new edge Empty Re: Tess to find new edge

Post  B4p Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:44 pm

That's a hard one sax.  Could we give Zoe a valium cocktail and lock T ess in the loo for an hour?

Get rid of that silly opening 'keeeeeep dancing' move.

As I've said before, she seems a 'fun' person but not naturally funny like Cl audia. She seems warm, caring, gracious and is an elegant model. The glamorous 'girl next door'.

T ess is not a dancer, not a straight news style presenter, and not really a lone TV presenter. Even after all her years in Strictly, she doesn't seem to project anything 'dance'. Other than comment's like, 'that was luvlee' or 'you make a luvlee couple' she doesn't say anything noteworthy. I know she's not there to judge and that time is short, but just a small comment like the style of dance coming up, a mention of a particular dance move, the music choice, how many blinking sequins have been sewn on...etc. She does ok in a 'Batman & Robin' twosome, but although she's been in the entertainment field for a long time, she doesn't have a showbiz background, and seems a bit rudderless on her own. It would be interesting to see clips of other strong female presenters to see the different angles they use.

I wish the presenters would remember to mention the supporting staff like props, lighting, the band, the singers, make-up and hair. Occasionally the band is mentioned and make-up is noted on Halloween, but there are a lot of folks backstage who could get a lot more praise.

Stop the scripted jokes or get rid of the current joke writer. The type of joke reflects the person telling it.  The pace of a joke is key, and the timing of the reveal punch line, essential. This is hard, even for experienced presenters and a fine skill that comedians spend years learning. You can't read a joke like a bus timetable. It's excruciating to hear T ess spouting postwar 'comic postcard' type humour that seems so out of place in this day and age. The faces she pulls, and the way she leers and sticks her tongue between her teeth when she's making innuendos, usually about the male celebs bodies or private lives, is starting to come across as slimy. She's at risk of turning into a wannabee comic clotheshorse cougar. The terrible puns are painful. Br ucie barely got away with it, but he came up through Vaudeville, had a long showbiz career in presenting, and his humour was of his generation.

If they insist on keeping the scripts, drop the jokes. She really doesn't need to do them. Br uno & L en make jokes downstairs and Cl aude jokes upstairs with the celebs.

Tess has a real chance to make her own individual mark and start the role afresh. I hope she will be strong enough, (and be allowed) to find a new niche with her own trademark. We've known for a while that Tess would be the main presenter, but so far it just looks like she's been told to keep the old Br ucie format intact. I only hope that Vernon won't be dragged in to help.

If T ess was ill, who would fill in?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:31 pm

I do agree with all you have said Tess is warm and funny yet not getting the new cloak of being a one woman presenter.
Love the idea of Zoe on valium and propping up Tess.
I feel Tess needs a side kick a personality to lean on and to bounce ideas,one liners wih.The lovely Ian Waite a possibility an ex pro dancer good at explaining and has a lovely bottom!!

If Tess ill then Zoe and C.laudia be a bit manic!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:52 pm

I'd like to see Robin or Ian having a go at presenting. I've never heard either of them say anything negative about the judges or celebs and they both get on well with the rest of the team
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:08 pm

B4p wrote:I'd like to see Robin or Ian having a go at presenting. I've never heard either of them say anything negative about the judges or celebs and they both get on well with the rest of the team

Very Happy Fantastic suggestion! Are you taking notes BBC?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:29 am

I like Tess as presenter....

I agree that she should steer away from Brucie-like lame jokes though. When she just gets on and presents I think she is competent and professional. She reads the autcue a darn sight better than Sir B used to for a start...

I think she is fine on her own with the bits she does, and when paired with Claudia for the beginning and end bits it seems like a real team, rather than an old has been and his glamourous (made out to be a bimbo) sidekick.

I'm happy with Tess and Clauds. Very happy in fact :-)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum