Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Presenters

+9
cellar-door
hatlady28
mauveangel09
Poppetlovestango
saxonsiren
B4p
lualen
allsewnonbyhand
Sid
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Presenters Empty Presenters

Post  hatlady28 Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:49 pm

The Daily Mail did a rather brutal article which essentially said that Claudia is a success and Tess is floundering. Further it comments that there is no real chemistry between them. Tess is a nice woman. She has a certain level of smarts. Claudia has more education, but more importantly she grew up in a home with very successful journalists. Eve Pollard is not a slow speaker. To keep up Claudia would have had to be on her toes. Without being nasty to Tess, my impression is that Claudia is a lot brighter and a lot quicker than Tess. Tess is never going to be able to compete......she needs to just relax and be beautiful and be the straight person.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Presenters Empty Re: Presenters

Post  saxonsiren Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Was that todays DM? Never have Saturday's. Ill catch it online. So Tess had a slating? Wonder why?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Said this elsewhere, but the two women formula isn't working for Strictly. Neither would two men. The Eurovision regularly proves successful with one of each. T ess tries too hard and doesn't have the easy confidence of C laudia, bit of a madcap though she be. T ess is also a northern girl ( she's from my home town, so the Daily Mail isn't likely to sing her praises) but she doesn't really have that factor that grabs people's attention. She isn't a natural compere or front-person which You can call me Sir from now on, for all his faults, was. Her accent tends to brutalise the "u" vowel, which is very obvious even to locals like myself. C laudia has a totally likeable personality and is very laid-back. I'm not really sure she'd want the limelight spot though.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Ant and Dec......The Two Ronnies.......Morecambe and Wise. Two men do work. French and Saunders, yes two women do work. However, double acts need to have worked out how the humour is going to happen. The two people need to find each other. It takes a long time to build a relationship. It can't be a forced marriage. Tess and Claudia were stuck together. Tess can present by herself or with someone she is close to, her husband. Claudia could be a stand up in the model of Eddie Izzard.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 pm

hatlady28 wrote:Ant and Dec......The Two Ronnies.......Morecambe and Wise.  Two men do work.  French and Saunders, yes two women do work.  However, double acts need to have worked out how the humour is going to happen.  The two people need to find each other. It takes a long time to build a relationship.  It can't be a forced marriage.  Tess and Claudia were stuck together.  Tess can present by herself or with someone she is close to, her husband.  Claudia could be a stand up in the model of Eddie Izzard.

Fair comment, but I was specific about Strictly in particular not shows in general. Presenting time doesn't take up very much time on Strictly, so rapidity is important. I just feel Tess isn't punchy enough for this show.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:24 pm

Everyone will think I'm mad......Clare Balding and Claudia would work.....Clare is no nonsense but isn't threatened by someone being silly Clare knows exactly how to keep things moving. She does her homework and is arguably one of the BBC's strongest presenters leaving many of the men in the dust when she did the Olympics. Clare is quick.....she and Claudia could have LOTS of fun.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:32 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Fair comment, but I was specific about Strictly in particular not shows in general. Presenting time doesn't take up very much time on Strictly, so rapidity is important. I just feel Tess isn't punchy enough for this show.

And his Royal Sir Bruceness was?
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:38 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

And his Royal Sir Bruceness was?

Oh, indeed so. Despite his awful jokes, for years he was the most professional and natural front man going.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:43 pm

I confess to being fed up of the Tess-bashing.

She is what she is. She isn't kooky or quirky like Claude. She isn't a seasoned old-school entertainer like You can call me Sir from now on. BUT she is a very competent compere with genuine warmth. She clearly loves the show and it means a lot to her. I get the feeling it's not just a job.

I agree with Hatlady inasmuch that she and Claude haven't quite worked out their act. But I catch a glimmer every so often of Tess's Eric to Claude's Ernie - ie she is the seemingly bemused, confused and sometimes exasperated straight woman to Claude's madcap and bizzare antics - like the popcorn incident last week and the fang teeth this week. Tess is cool and poised; Claude is the madcap of the fourth-form and unpredictable. They need a little more work on slotting those roles together, but as I say, I already see glimpses of how it can work.

And I see genuine comraderie and teamwork between Tess and Claude. Despite the tabloids and the trash mags trying to make out that there is some rivalry...

I like Tess. Right?
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:45 pm

I don't mind T.ess, but I just like C.laudia more. That's all. I dont' believe anything published by DM. Never ever.
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:46 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Oh, indeed so. Despite his awful jokes, for years he was the most professional and natural front man going.

But not on Strictly. He was never punchy or rapid on Strictly. Everyone complained about his doddery dithering and lack of ability to read the autocue and wishing he'd just get on with it

He may have been punchy and rapid in his hey day. And most definitely a professional and natural front man (though always annoying as far as I was concerned).

But he was never rapid or punchy on Strictly. Not even on Series 1...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 pm

[quote="diamondsandpearls"]

Series 1 of Strictly? You mean when he'd already turned sevety-five? pirat
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:01 am

TANGOLERO wrote:

Gosh - I thought he wasn't a day over 74 and three quarters.... Wink
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:18 am

diamondsandpearls wrote:But not on Strictly.  He was never punchy or rapid on Strictly.  Everyone complained about his doddery dithering and lack of ability to read the autocue and wishing he'd just get on with it

He may have been punchy and rapid in his hey day.  And most definitely a professional and natural front man (though always annoying as far as I was concerned).

But he was never rapid or punchy on Strictly.  Not even on Series 1...

I concur. Brucie wasn't so bad until series 7 or so, and then there was a marked deterioration in the way he handled the live shows. Towards the end it was painful to watch him floundering, forgetting the pros' names, getting the judges mixed up etc..
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:09 am

I've defended Tess on Strictly forums for as long as I can remember and am still of the opinion that she does a better job than she's given credit for. Replace her for a couple of weeks and I think people would realise she wasn't as bad as they thought. She's pleasant, she's professional and she keeps things moving. The only thing I'd advise (and I think Tess is starting to do this) is to accept she's not naturally funny and to leave the comedy to Claud. That doesn't mean they can't work together, there's more to a partnership than jokes. When I see Tess and Claud together I see genuine warmth and mutual support between them. Claud has the contestants to spark off of for comedy moments.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:54 am

Hl I am a fan of Clare Balding not to sure if SCD is her "thing". Im going to wait until end of this series and then make my mind up if Tess/C.laudia work together.
Just a thought a trio?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:21 am

Sid wrote:I've defended Tess on Strictly forums for as long as I can remember and am still of the opinion that she does a better job than she's given credit for. Replace her for a couple of weeks and I think people would realise she wasn't as bad as they thought. She's pleasant, she's professional and she keeps things moving. The only thing I'd advise (and I think Tess is starting to do this) is to accept she's not naturally funny and to leave the comedy to Claud. That doesn't mean they can't work together, there's more to a partnership than jokes. When I see Tess and Claud together I see genuine warmth and mutual support between them. Claud has the contestants to spark off of for comedy moments.

Sid - can I marry you?!

That is what I was trying to say, but you said it so much more succinctly and eloquently Smile

Especially the bit about the genuine warmth and support and the fact that Tess is pleasant and professional. She is VERY professional, hence she was unphased when Claud threw popcorn down her front, nonchantly removing it whilst carrying on with the link. It was her very dead-pan, carry on regardless professionalism which actually gave the moment it's comedy.

Which is why I see Claude as the funny woman to Tess's straight one. The comedy needs the straight woman in order for the funny bits to work. As you say Sid, I think Tess is realising this. I always felt that it was the producers rather than her who were shoe-horning scripted jokes into the proceedings which is why she couldn't pull them off. I think her own off the cuff quips work quite well. If they just let her be the poised, professional compere who has to deal with Madcap Molly then I think they will settle into their grooves very well, doing what they each do best.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:16 am

Sid and Diamonds, I do agree. I think I said a while ago that the producers were using Brucie's joke writer for Tess which is an awful mistake. If she embraces being the beautiful straight woman, all will be well. I don't think the Daily Mail article is going to help things.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:31 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:Sid - can I marry you?!

Oh go on then, I've given up waiting on Vin!

hatlady28 wrote:Tess is never going to be able to compete......she needs to just relax and be beautiful and be the straight person.

Totes HL. I think the solution is not a change of presenter but Tess accepting herself and being accepted for who she is and fulfilling the right role.

I'd add that waiting to see whether the Tess dress is a disaster or a success has become a thing now and provides a source of amusement. I know it's more laughing at her than with her but I like to think it's affectionate rather than cruel laughter. I'd miss little things like that if Tess wasn't there. She's become synonymous with Strictly for me, wouldn't feel right without her.

Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Claire Balding....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO affraid

Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:47 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Claire Balding....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO affraid

Wink

I was a little shocked Claire Balding was suggested. She's good for hosting dressage and dogs shows or sports programmes, not Strictly.
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:52 pm

Just to throw my two penn'orth into the ring....I love the T.ess/Claude partnership, and think that it has been harder for Tess than Claude, who basically carries on as she always has, kookie and oddball, and playing the ditsy one to a T whilst actually being very intelligent. Tess, on the other hand, has to try and fill Br.ucie's shoes and for all his faults he is/was a natural presenter. Tess has to work out where she fits in, I agree that she is best as the straight one to Claude's antics. Don't forget that Br.ucie also brought a small bit of knowledge about dancing too Wink and Tess doesn't have that, although one would hope she has picked up as much as the rest of us over the years
I'm happy for these two to carry on and find their feet.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:57 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:Just to throw my two penn'orth into the ring....I love the T.ess/Claude partnership, and think that it has been harder for Tess than Claude, who basically carries on as she always has, kookie and oddball, and playing the ditsy one to a T whilst actually being very intelligent. Tess, on the other hand, has to try and fill Br.ucie's shoes and for all his faults he is/was a natural presenter. Tess has to work out where she fits in, I agree that she is best as the straight one to Claude's antics. Don't forget that Br.ucie also brought a small bit of knowledge about dancing too  Wink and Tess doesn't have that, although one would hope she has picked up as much as the rest of us over the years
I'm happy for these two to carry on and find their feet.

Tess did take part in one of those Children In Need show in the past. So I think she's aware of what to look for in a good ballroom or latin dance. Also, Tess took time to watch the couples' rehearsals, and must have a good gauge from the judges (who in this series appear to watch the full-dress rehearsal as well, esp. Darcey, as I have read somewhere) or the producers, or ex-pro dancer now pro routine choreographer Anya Ganis, and so appeared more aware of which dances are going to be good on the night.
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:54 pm

Interesting debate - I tend to think that T ess and C laud are settling into their roles a bit more than what they were at the beginning, and finding their way, but to me C laud is emerging as the 'lead' presenter - but no reason why T ess can't play a good straight woman to her comedy capers - C laud is just naturally funny. Sir B rucie was naturally funny until they started writing jokes for him and putting them on autocues that he couldn't read - It has always struck me how when you watch him in other shows where he is just being natural, how sharp he can actually be. I concur that B rucie was great in his role until a couple of years ago and he was probably there for one or two series longer than he should have been! But is is always a mistake to use other people's material or try to deliver their jokes - I saw this when I worked as a Tour Guide when I was younger. Not everyone can have a 'jokey' style and sometimes it is just better to be straight and have your own style, which I hope T ess will continue to do. That said, I wouldn't be adverse to a few guest presenters of the male variety now and then during the series.

I definitely think that T ess has a new dress designer this year and I've liked the 'combos' that she and C laud have worn so far.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:58 pm

cellar-door wrote:

Tess did take part in one of those Children In Need show in the past. So I think she's aware of what to look for in a good ballroom or latin dance. Also, Tess took time to watch the couples' rehearsals, and must have a good gauge from the judges (who in this series appear to watch the full-dress rehearsal as well, esp. Darcey, as I have read somewhere) or the producers, or ex-pro dancer now pro routine choreographer Anya Ganis, and so appeared more aware of which dances are going to be good on the night.

I think it is really unfair that the judges watch the whole of the the dress rehearsal - doesn't seem right to me.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next