Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of Honesty.

+12
cellar-door
Poppetlovestango
CaledonianCraig
mauveangel09
Twirlie
saxonsiren
TANGOLERO
Sid
Tina Sparkle
B4p
Moova 12
diamondsandpearls
16 posters

Page 4 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23 ... 42  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 4 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:50 am

Maybe they should each week practise a dance off dance say a Foxtrot or American Smooth. Every couple practises it and dance this in the DO. We see the same dance and we will see how the celeb has improved and if they have practised it regularly too.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:56 am

saxonsiren wrote:Maybe they should each week practise a dance off dance say a Foxtrot or American Smooth. Every couple practises it  and dance this in the DO. We see the same dance and we will see how the celeb has improved and if they have practised it regularly too.

I agree, in the dance off they should compare like with like. That would set the cat among the pigeons...
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:34 pm

Agree Siren and Fifty - brilliant, genius idea :-)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:41 pm

Tonight's show should be a cracker with an atmosphere to match in Blackpool and in all honesty we are now left with the best dancers left in this series. Looking forward to this.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Here we go with my thoughts on tonight's dances:-

Jay McGuinness's Salsa had the ideal music and Jay nailed it. Facial expressions and all. 9.5 from me.

Jamelia's Quick Step was way better than I was expecting. Perhaps her best dance yet. 8 from me.

Anita's Paso Doble had the right music and great characterisations not sure if I spotted an odd error. 9 from me.

Katie's American Smooth was very good but Katie looked unsteady at times. 8 from me.

Peter's Jive had to handle poor music choice and seemed a bit forced but he danced it well. 7.5 from me.

Georgia's American Smooth was another great dance from them. Lovely. 9 from me.

Helen's Charleston had the music and was a really good routine but the stumble at the top of the stairs knocks off a mark. 8.5 from me.

Kellie's Quick Step I really enjoyed despite the poor music choice. Polished performance. 9 from me.

High quality dances tonight. Going on popularity (or lack of) I'd say Jamelia will face the dance-off again and Peter may find himself in a spot of bother this week.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Blackpool. A lot of predictable stuff at every seaside resort, and Blackpool is no exception, but once inside the Tower Ballroom it's like a magical grotto for dance. As a northener who lives only forty miles away (and have done almost all my life) I love to hear professional dancers praise the place. It is special. Along with the Winter Gardens they were the places to be if you danced. Okay, enough.. Very Happy

Firstly, tonight's show was great, as is usually the case when they go to the Tower. The standard has risen to very creditable heights so that there are really no actual lesser dancers now, or certain ly none who don't deserve to be there. "In no particular order" is the criteria for the show, so I'll go in reverse.

Jamelia is now officially a dancer.Whatever she was in past weeks she has obviously worked very hard at im proving. Tonight she was
great. Her quickstep was error free, entertaining and pacey. It seems that elements of jive and Charlston have found their way in there and been accepted since no one commented on them, Amen. Judges said...7,8,8,8...31. ( I'd have been quite happy with four eights)

Peter and Janette. I'll stick with what I said yesterday. Not a Peter lover but that music gave them a "river deep to swim and a mountain high" to climb. It was never jive material in the memory of man,woman or child. It was a real square peg/round hole job and had all the elements of a group dance in a review. 6.7.8.8....29.

I'll stick with Georgia and Gio's American Smooth next because this also was a group dance, but a smoother more profesional offering that was graceful and elegant. I'm a bit unsure that group style dances, however well done, really are a fair way to judge a competition, because attention gets pulled about with so much movement happening, but hey, it was very good and the marks said so.

Kellie and Kevin. Quick Step. Another group style dance with elements of the film Strictly Ballroom in the male in-line dancers, and also those elements of Jive and Charlston steps that have crept in. Again, well done and highly marked. 9.9.9.10.... 37.

Helen and Aljaz. Charleston. My comment to my wife was....It was good, I've seen better . Maybe just a rest period for these two but this was bit uninspiring for me. 8.9.8.9 34.

Katie and A nton. Very nicely done. Katie, like Jamelia has raised her game and it showed in this "made for A nton" glitzy, Fred and Ginger style Broadway American Smooth. A group dance style thing that worked perfectly. E.l.e.g.a.n.t.e. Loved it. Just great to see Queen Erin back on the scene and helping out. No kick in the head this.....8.9.9.9. 35.

Jay and Aliona....Salsa to "Cuba" Jay smiled his way through a fun-filled salsa that was dynamic and full of latin rhythm. Very hard to mark as the first dance because nobody knows what will follow. Should be joint top of the board along with Anita and Georgia for me. A joy waching this lad dance. 9,9,9,9....36.

Anita and Gleb. What it said on the tin; it was a paso doble. Music was right, costume was right (although that jacket almost did what I feared and highlighted Gleb instead of Anita.) That almost could have happened (luckily didn't) with him making an entrance instead
of her. Anita was great and danced Spanish style with grace and fire. So good to see a real paso style paso. OLE...WAS THE CRY. 9.10.9.10...38.

A really enjoyable Blackpool night that didn't disappoint in any way. It's looking like Peter and Jamelia in the dance off for me and Peter had better do it well or......
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 4 Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:27 pm

Wow what a great Blackpool show tonight! Loved it and want to watch it over again. It was also good to watch the show live as I have watched it on catch up for the last 3 weeks as we've been out on Saturday night - not tonight though!!! Very Happy

As a spectacle it did not disappoint and I thought the placings on the leaderboard were about right. I enjoyed all the performances except for P eter really - i also thought that Helen had some issues as did K atie. The person that surprised me was Jamelia - really enjoyable routine.

My verdict on the backing dancers - absolutely fine in most cases and even added to some dances but I thought that they really spoiled J ay and Aliona's salsa - too many of them and too many doing the same Salsa dance as J+A which made it messy and much too crowded.

Jay and Aliona 8
Despite the wonderful music this did not blow me away although it was a very good performance with some great lifts. I felt that the use of the backing dancers was not good (as said above) and at one point I was looking at one of the backing dancers gyrating his hips instead of looking at J ay (not good). Although it was fluid I still feel that he did not really let go and get the hip action and the spirit of salsa - sorry.

J amelia and Tristan 8
Jamelia looked the best she has ever looked tonight and this was a great routine I thought. They really used the floor well and you could see how much she has improved. Real surprise - much better use of the backing dancers in this routine.

G leb and Anita 9 going on 10
Wow! Fantastic music and a fantastic routine - a proper paso to proper paso music!!! I loved it. Anita looked like a real flamenco princess.
They deserved their marks.

Katie and A nton 9
A great classic routine although I too saw the wobbles that CRH saw. However, a really good American Smooth and and I thought she did really well as it must have been like learning a group dance having to dance with all the boys - she handled this aspect really well and it was exquisite. Nice to see E rin in the training clips.

P eter and Janette 7
Mr T was right all week about this one. As a production n umber I thought it was good and full of energy but it wasn't a jive, in fact I hardly saw any jive steps in it. For someone who was so good at the Charleston I found it quite strange that he was so heavy and flat footed with this one.

Georgia and Giovanni 9
Another beautiful performance which flowed around the floor - series winners for me.

Helen and Alijaz 8
Good but not outstanding - again the whole group routine was excellent as was the music and there were some good lifts but don't think this was really Helen's dance - I felt that it would have been better if they had given her a slightly longer skirt so that there was less emphasis on her upper legs which weren't really moving in the 'charleston' way.

Kellie and Kevin 8
The timing was absolutely impeccable and they made the backing dancers and the theme work for them but for me there was not enough in hold and when they were in hold it was slightly skippy. Preferred Jamelia and Tristan on a personal level.

It will be really hard to say goodbye to anyone this week as they all upped their game and were really good.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:56 pm

Howdy guys! Adding my thoughts...

Jay & Aliona - I'd say he passed the Salsa test. None of that horrible forced / jerky / gyrating hip action - it looked natural and fluid, the lifts were daring and clean, he was into it and performing. Happy with 9s.

Jamelia & Tristan - This exceeded my expectations. Yes there was some gapping and she lost her topline at times but it was easily Jamelia's best and I thought C.raig opening with  "no she won't avoid the dance-off"  was unkind. 7.5

Anita & Gleb - THIS held my attention from start to finish. That's not to say there weren't flaws in it but Anita's commitment to the character and the effort she invests never fails to impress me. Yes I'd have liked a bit more curve in her back, yes she could have closed her legs when she was pulled up off the floor...but I'll take the theatre and drama she and Gleb created over the better 'finishing' of some of the others. 9

Katie & A.nton - Totally up my street. Like something out of an old-fashioned movie. Stylish and elegant - so befitting of the setting. If only Katie could cut out the wobbles and cope a bit better changing direction and going into and out of lifts, she'd be perfect. But as with Anita, I'd rather watch this than the perfection of some of the others who might not stutter but don't quite dazzle in the same way. 8

Peter & Janette - Pretty appalling Jive. And for once they critiqued him properly but L.en and B.runo STILL gave him 8s?! I really hope he's in the dance off and gone. 6

Georgia and Giovanni - Hmm not as convinced by Georgia this week. I mean, she's not capable of ever dancing badly but some performances seem to suit her more than others. For me, a power ballad like "I Have Nothing" was almost too big and grown-up for her. I also thought G & G spent too much time apart (not as in 'out of hold' but Georgia spending too long with the other male dancers). There was a mistake with one of the lifts too. She was better than Katie but I'd rather watch Katie. 8.5

Helen & Aljaz - I liked the showgirl feel but obvious mistakes spoiled it. The first was the lift and the other was at the top of the stairs where Helen was out of sync. Characterisation perfect, lifts and synchronisation not so good. I did feel sorry for Helen afterwards though, she looked crestfallen but the scores were quite generous. 8

Kellie & Kevin - I was thinking how the typewriters will have been lost on anyone under the age of 20! It was a competent QS. I enjoyed it. But I dunno...it lacked pizzaz. Again, whilst Kellie moved around the floor with fewer hiccups, I preferred watching Katie's Ballroom. Katie just posseses a quality the others don't. I also think it was a slightly odd choice to end the night with this when Anita's Paso SCREAMED show-closer. 8.5

So that's Blackpool over with for another year and I enjoyed it, the night flew by. The n.umbers are dwindling quickly now. I've decided I'd like Anita and Katie in the final. There's an anticipation I feel about their performances that I don't for the others who are too obviously good for me to get overly excited about. That's not to say I don't enjoy and appreciate what Georgia, Helen, Kellie and Jay do....but, you know what I mean!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:09 pm

Jay and Aliona – Salsa

Jay and Aliona definitely back on form. A terrific dance, well done. I agree with the judges. Nine.*

Jamelia and Tristan – Quickstep

Jamelia did well. She normally doesn't do that well until the dance off. Sadly it's still not enough to raise her to the level of most of the others. She's probably the most in danger of going this week. Seven

Anita and Gleb – Paso Doble

Didn't quite know what to make of this. It was certainly dramatic and very theatrical. On first viewing I thought it was great, but wondered if there should have been less posturing and perhaps more dance. I watched it again and thought maybe there was more dance than I'd realised. Certainly not worth a ten. Eight or nine.

Katie and Housewives choice – American Smooth

A lovely American Smooth. She's so naturally elegant that it's a delight to watch her. She's probably next to go after Jamelia, but I'm delighted to have seen the dance and at Blackpool at that. Eight or nine.

Peter and Janette – Jive

I just don't see what the judges see in Peter. I just don't get it. OK there's loads of energy, but really that's not enough for me. He still seems very clompy and with no real arm or body shaping. Seven.

Georgia and Giovanni – American Smooth

This was the best dance of the night for me. She produces such elegant moves and shapes. She floated through this number. There's no doubt that she's going to be in the final. Ten.

Helen and Aljaz – Charleston

I did enjoy this Charleston. I wondered if a lot of the choreography for this was lifted from the some Fred and Ginger dances. “I'm putting all my eggs in one basket” from “Follow the Fleet” came to mind though only a small portion seemed to fit. It seemed very familiar anyway but no less enjoyable for that. I thought there were a couple of slips in the dance including the one at the top of the steps near the end. The rest was so good however, that I'd still give her a nine. I have completely reversed my opinion about Helen since I heard her utterly dirty laugh in rehearsal! She should definitely be in the final too.

Kellie and Kevin – Quickstep

I just can't work up enthusiasm for this couple or this dance. I find Kellie quite stodgy and Kevin's choreography a bit tame. A ten from Silver tongued Italian Stallion? I obviously wasn't watching the same dance. I certainly wouldn't have given them more than an eight.

I enjoyed the annual trip to Blackpool, and I enjoyed that the floor space allowed people to utilise extra pros in their dances, again except from Kellie and Kevin's one. The guys with the typewriters was pushing it just a bit too far for me.

I know a lot of you are rooting for Jay, and with good reason. He's an excellent dancer and a good looking lad. Myself? I think I'm rooting for Georgia from now on. Superb on the dance floor and too cute for words both on and off it!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Twirlie - It's quite nice we all seem to have different favourites this year, makes it interesting Smile

TANGOLERO wrote:Just great to see Queen Erin back on the scene and helping out.

Wasn't it just? Part of me would really like to see her back.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:25 pm

So agree about Erin.

Really did not like Peter's dance. Scoring was way out.

I didn't really like the other dancers. Found it distracting. Almost think Blackpool should be free week so no one gets eliminated.

Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:32 pm

Sid wrote:Twirlie - It's quite nice we all seem to have different favourites this year, makes it interesting Smile

I agree Sid, and it's probably because there are so many good celebrities this year.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:59 pm

I have no clear favourite and am delighted at the standard this year with half-a-dozen contenders all in with a chance. On current form I'd say Peter should go next, then Jamelia who had done really well. Very probably it will be Peter kept in. Jay, Georgia, Anita, Kellie, Helen,....who? With great respect to them all I'd just love it if A nton could raise Katie's game enough to win. Highly unlikely, but what a triumph it would be to go from where she started so shakily to where she is now and go on to win.. She really looks to be loving every minute of it. Go girl....
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:23 am

Twirlie wrote:I know a lot of you are rooting for Jay, and with good reason. He's an excellent dancer and a good looking lad. Myself? I think I'm rooting for Georgia from now on. Superb on the dance floor and too cute for words both on and off it!

Oh gosh no Twirlie - I'm not particularly rooting for Jay. He left me behind after his Jive. The sparkle has gone in their partnership and though good, I'm left feeling slightly flatter than I anticipate after a Jaliona routine.

I am liking team GG very much. I am warming to Gio and liking his chorepgraphy, and though Georgia comes across as a twelve year old, by 'eck she can dance. I was impressed with her VW smooth of tonight but not overwhelmed - something didn't fit quite right. It may have been the angsty song juxtaposed with her rather kittenish brand of youthfulness - she isn't world-weary enough to pull of that song. And she was dressed like an ingénue which was at odds with the song too.

I would rather Jamelia stayed in and Pete went out this week. I feel he has done all he can do and isn't actually improving any more, whereas I am feeling that Jamelia is still picking stuff up and her and Tristan have a genuine, warm connection, which I don't get between Pete and Janette. Pete's jive was barely a jive - I saw very few kicks and flicks and what there were hardly got off the ground. And the top half of his body is all... wrong. Somehow scrunchy. He can do steps and whizz round the floor fast, but he hasn't really got the different styles and stances for the dances (a free little rhyme for you there my lovelies...)

Katie was sublime this week. Yes, some wobbly bambi bits, but it summed up a glorious era of elegant, gorgeous dancing - and she has just the right air of elegance and glamour to pull it off. She transported me back to the golden era of Hollywood musicals of the 30s and 40s. Like last week, she really got the mood of the dance.

I ADORED Anita's Paso. Although I know it couldn't have been perfect, I can honestly say I didn't notice any snags - I was totally mesmerised by her commitment and fierceness. She LIVED that dance - and for me, that is pretty much the be all and end all. I don't ask for much more. Despite all the topless bits of beefcake I was transfixed by Anita and never took my eyes of her, except when she put the jacket on Gleb and I suddenly realised he wasn't a backing dancer. On this occasion I can't accuse Gleb of not showing off his partner. Considering Anita has no performance background, the way she portrayed that dance was incredible.

And then we had Kellie. All very competent. But somehow cold. Her hair and dress were again detracting in a bad way - the top of the dress looked like it was just pinned together. The hair made her look 67... I didn't like this dance much and felt a bit dispirited and flat when it finished - not a good end for the show. Katie's feelgood Hollywood routine or Anita' gobsmacking dramatic paso would have been better. I don't know what it is about the Ks but they are just not doing for me. I actually preferred Jamelia QS even though it was very obviously less accomplished. I think Kevin's choreography is perhaps being less contained than in the previous two series and he's now letting rip with very much his own style. Which I am not finding much warmth for. Kellie sometimes really fun and personable and then.... she goes dead behind the eyes. Despite being an actress, I don't think she really feels the dances. It's all a bit by He is. And we obey him.. The only two dances I've liked are the Star Wars Charleston (bizarrely!) and the memory lane foxtrot.

I nearly forgot Helen.... And that says it all really. She was a bit forgettable. The routine was fun but was more 42nd Street chorus routine than a Charleston - I saw very little swivel, but mainly because there weren't many swivel opportunities. Compared with the Gs last week, or even the Ks star wars Charleston, this just wasn't Charleston-y enough for me (though I would concede that it was an enjoyable routine in it's own right)

If I was allowed to put in the dancers I most enjoy watching in the final it would be the Gs, Katie and Housewives choice, Anita and Gleb and Jaliona or Helen and Aljaz on a good day to fight it out for the other place. The rest are definite bye byes...  But if it has to be on pure technique then I suppose it would be Georgia, Kellie, Helen and Jay.

So, twirlie - not totally in disagreement at all - Georgia is a real contender for me :-)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:32 am

TANGOLERO wrote:I have no clear favourite and am delighted at the standard this year with half-a-dozen contenders all in with a chance. On current form I'd say Peter should go next, then Jamelia who had done really well. Very probably it will be Peter kept in. Jay, Georgia, Anita, Kellie, Helen,....who? With great respect to them all I'd just love it if A nton could raise Katie's game enough to win. Highly unlikely, but what a triumph it would be to go from where she started so shakily to where she is now and go on to win.. She really looks to be loving every minute of it. Go girl....

I agree wholeheartedly Tango! My sentiments entirely expressed much more succinctly than I ever could.

I think you will find I was backing Katie for a longer stint even when she was appearing not to be able to get dances - I knew she had more in her and I knew she loved dancing and had good musicality.

However, I'm not sure that A.nton and she have enough time to raise her game significantly enough. Although she could be a Chris Hollins (only better....)

But we can dream..

Also agree (I said it upthread) that Pete should go before Jamelia. She IS raising her game still. Pete has stalled. But I bet the voters will keep him in. Evil or Very Mad
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:05 am

To be honest though IF (and it is a big if) Peter is not saved by his fans and is in the dance-off then this Jive won't cut the mustard with the judges. He would be warm favourite to exit if in the dance-off this week whoever he is pitted against.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:33 am

Really intersting to read all your comments. I enjoyed the show last night, some definitely raised their game and some..did not!

Jay and Aliona good job, didn't wow me but he seems to have his mojo back.
Anita and Gleb this was the stand out dance of the night for me, I was totally engaged the whole way through. Should have been the closing n.umber for my money
Jamelia and Tristan she actually looked like she enjoyed herself, I remember her saying on ITT that the steps she had learnt before were coming back to her. Good job.
Peter and Janette I've made no secret of my dislike for him and I think he's been overmarked before but he got his comeuppance with that jive - if you can call it such, there was so little jive content. I think he's been found out, the judges for once marked fairly, but if he's in the DO against Jamelia I stiill think they'll save him, even though she was better than him Evil or Very Mad
A.nton and Katie if anyone could do it, he could. Old school glamour, and she is so elegant. Nice to see Erin too- she was such a good teacher
Georgia and Giovanni I have been saying for some weeks how she has grown on me, last week was amazing, but this week something was missing. I actually think having the extra dancers spoilt it. I wanted to see much more spinning around that beautiful ballroom. That said, it was still a great dance.
Helen didn't like this to be honest, it started well but for me it just faded...and then ended. I know she went wrong up the stairs, but I was expecting a big ending and it just...ended!
Kellie and Kevin I think I was expecting more from Kevin, perhaps I need to rewatch, this didn't engage me as much as I'd hoped but it was neat and tidy and competent. Sleep

I voted for Anita Georgia and Jay
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:56 am

Really enjoyed last nights show, and have just watched it all over again.  As the time flies with so few couples left,   I wish they could find some way to extend the length of the Blackpool  show ….seeing Erin again made me wonder it they could add an interval slot to feature former pros (Flavia and Vincent in particular).

Jay I liked the storyline and music for this, the laid back tone suited him.  Very competent salsa, though as others have said, it wasn’t really a ‘wow’ routine.   I’ve always thought the Blackpool grandeur is more suited to paso, American smooth, quickstep, Viennese waltz etc, where the extra floor space can really expand the dance.  Although there’s been some exceptions over the years, I don’t think latin dances generally fare so well in such a large space.

Jamelia  Apart from the rather unattractive doll intro, this was really quite good – her best dance yet.

Anita Finding myself a bit out of kilter with most comments here.  I thought there was way too much posturing and floor sliding and not enough in hold, I also thought Gleb was trying to steal the show at times. I did enjoy it, but not a 10 from me.  Music choice makes all the difference though, I’d love to see a new rule that all pasos should get ‘proper’ music rather than insipid pop

Katie Pity about the wobbles near the end, but this was lovely and graceful.  Best dress of the night too I thought.

Peter Oh dear. Not keen on Peter, but I felt everything was conspiring against him last night. The baggy checked trousers and braces made him look chunky, the music wasn’t suitable, and the choreography was patchy and more about a group dance than a jive.  The few jive steps he did have weren’t good at all, but I felt it was doomed anyhow.

Georgia  Very nicely danced -  though I thought Katie captured the feel of the American smooth more.

Helen  Thought this was all a bit too dainty and prim – I totally agree with CRHs comment that it needed to be ‘messed-up’ a little.

Kellie  A bit of an anti-climax as the last dance (think I would’ve given that spot to Katie or Anita) – don’t think this deserved to be joint second on the leaderboard.

Well, I've no idea who's in the dance-off, but it could be an interesting show tonight - first shock elimination?
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:03 am

I've recorded last night's show and will watch it later today. I'm glad to read it seemed a good night for most of the dancers.

My three favourites are Jay, Georgia & Anita. Helen & Katie don't seem as robust as some of the other dancers to me. Peter seems to have stalled, and as someone else commented, Kellie (whilst very competant) seems a bit stodgy and doesn't float my boat, but that could also be Kevin's choreography.

For next year, I can't imagine super-competitive Gleb or Giovanni coping with a 'no hoper'. Don't see either of them in any kind of a nurturing role like Robin was often used for.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:27 am

I think after watching the clips it seems Peter had a meh week and the judges decided to clamp down on their usual enthusiasm. Georgia just cannot connect with or Giovanni.
I'd like A.non to reach semi final with Katie.
Jamelia has improved and proved if left in can improvements (Ainsley I could cry for you) but she should leave this week.
Jay I still enjoy.For me Kevin and Kellie have peaked at irritation level and could be in danger next week with possibly Helen. Everyone seems to forget Helen
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:38 am

B4p wrote:

For next year, I can't imagine super-competitive Gleb or Giovanni coping with a 'no hoper'. Don't see either of them in any kind of a nurturing role like Robin was often used for.

My thoughts entirely B4P Rolling Eyes Both boys have lucked out this year on their partners and have had a good chance to show off what they can do to consolidate being asked back next year.

BTW- Great post Jingle as always

My favourites are now Georgia and Gio - it's been building up since the Ghostbusters dance. However I am voting for K atie and A nton each week. I have backed them from the start as I think that some of their earlier dances were unfairly slated so justice has been done in that I wanted them to get as far as Blackpool, whatever happens next being a bonus - however, I now find I am always wanting to see more each week and for me both K atie and Anita embody the spirit of SCD more than some of the other contestants.

So that is three I would like to see make it all the way - although it is a bit of wishful thinking for K atie as I think that it would depend on the dance choices for her, (dodging the samba for starters) far more than it would for someone like Georgia and even Anita - who to me have proved themselves all rounders which is the decider for me as to who to back to the finish.

I think that Jay will hang on in there and it would be nice to see more men at the finish line but not just for the sake of it which I think is what the producers want this year. It will be difficult to say goodbye to anyone this week after such a good show but like others on here I really think that P eter has reached his ceiling and it is time to go now - last night was very exposing of both him and Janette. Although I really like her as a person and as a dancer, I don't find always find Janette inspiring on the teaching or choreography front and she is in the Mrs C lifton mould (although not so good) of doing a lot of showy dances with little technique. That works for the more freestyle dances but not those where there are clear steps to go in and/or rules to be followed - I barely recognised that dance as a jive last night - altthough it was good as a dance routine, they were not even dancing together a lot of the time and that was not what it should have been. I know she got a long way with J ake last year but they always frustrated me because she did some really dodgy routines with him and I always felt he had more in him.

Those I am not sure of at this point are K ellie and H elen - without meaning to sound harsh I think that K ellie gets away with fudging a lot because she is and was a good performer before doing the show - I wish they would give her a different style of costume as well - I think this contributes to the 'samey' look of everything they do and allthough I really enjoyed the music and the theme for H elen's charleston last night I found the whole thing a bit ungainly - from someone who is usually so elegant.

Well...............all will reveal itself over the next few weeks when we start to see the vote shares of the 'top couples' It's going to be very competitive....goody Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:10 pm

diamonds - agreed with almost every word.

mauveangel09 wrote:

My thoughts entirely B4P Rolling Eyes   Both boys have lucked out this year on their partners and have had a good chance to show off what they can do to consolidate being asked back next  year.

It's true mauve, though they couldn't really have predicted how Anita would turn out. She could easily have been more of a Kirsty! I think it's fair enough though to give a new pro someone who'll give them a chance to stick around for a while - the audience wants to get to know them and see what they bring to the table: Artem got Kara, Aljaz got Abbey, Pasha got Chelsee, Natalie got Ricky etc Although looking back, the new female pros don't always seem to luck out as much!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Yes - that's true S id - the females don't seem to fare so well - but neither did Tristan in his first year. I feel we are only just getting to know him.

I agree that (thankfully)  there is always the 'luck' element - Kirsty and looking back, Rachel Riley both looked good on paper.

I would really like to see N athalie with a contender again - it has been too long!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:57 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:
I would really like to see N athalie with a contender again - it has been too long!

AB.SO.LUTELY!!! She's one of my favourite professionals. She did a great job with Ainsley and they made a delightful partnership, but it's time to see her in the final again. Actually, I'd also like to see O.la with a much better partner if she does it again next year. These two have had no-hopers for quite a while now. Time for a change.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:02 pm

jingle wrote:
Jay  I’ve always thought the Blackpool grandeur is more suited to paso, American smooth, quickstep, Viennese waltz etc, where the extra floor space can really expand the dance.  Although there’s been some exceptions over the years, I don’t think latin dances generally fare so well in such a large space.

Without interfering on your comments on the dancers, Jingle, I'd like to just pick up on one general comment ( above) you made which I totally agree with.

Dances like Rumba Salsa, Samba, Mambo, Llambada even Tango ( which in its homeland is often danced progressive in crowded dance halls, the movement, not partner changing obviously) can, and are generally danced in much more contained spaces. The club scenes in the film I quoted earlier "Dirty Dancing II, Havana Nights" are a great example of this. With that in mind, why try to make them otherwise? For Latin the dance area could be easily contained by lighting effect or by moving extra seating forwards and not have the dancers feeling they're dancing in the Sahara Desert or taking part in Chariots of Fire. The Tower Ballroom is, and always has been, a public dance hall meant to cater easily for up to a hundred couples all happily dancing around. It comes as no surprise then that putting individual couples out there, even when accompanied by six lords a leaping , or seven maids doing whatever they do, makes them look a little lost. The Salsa, Jive, Charlston and even Paso don't need arenas. The ballroom is a stupendous venue, but in fairness and much as I love it, that's what it is, a place for ballroom dancing. In its present seating format, Latin dances are a bit like holding a table-tennis or snooker match at Wembley Stadium. It feels too big for some of the dances. Even Paso doesn't need a bull farm to dance it. Strictly could still have their annual visit there but with a little better seating arrangement  and choreography that doesn't need to be for a remake of Gladiator. The quickstep runs last night for example, whilst probably delighting in the freedom, seemed extended and over-long, obviously to use the floor space, but didn't need to be a threat to Usain Bolt's achievements.

In short, whilst great for pro extravaganzas and ballroom, maybe the dancers need to feel more "at home" with areas they practise in all week for some dances. No need to change much, because Blackpool is always a great success, possibly just make Blackpool week a ballroom event where all the contestants do a, well, ballroom dance. .Fred and Ginger, doing a solo spot, would probably have felt a little in awe of The Tower Ballroom. Just my views as ever, and definitely not a rant....honest. Cool

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23 ... 42  Next