Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe

+6
jingle
Twirlie
CaledonianCraig
saxonsiren
B4p
mauveangel09
10 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe - Page 2 Empty Re: RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Love my now tv. I can dip in and out when I want too re subscription. Godsend when I had my plaster on and no weight bearing for 3 weeks... Fab box sets on there. Amazon firestick a good purchase too
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe - Page 2 Empty Re: RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:54 pm

The Roku Stick is great as well and I use Netflix a heck of a lot for my Star Trek fix, Stranger Things etc etc.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:The Roku Stick is great as well and I use Netflix a heck of a lot for my Star Trek fix, Stranger Things etc etc.

Stranger Things! I was going to post about that CC but thought "no one'll be watching that!" Am having serious withdrawals after devouring the second series quicker than a demogorgan devours its victims. Have you watched them all?
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Twirlie wrote:
The A Word is starting a second series on BBC and 2 episodes are available on catch-up. It's set in the lake district and centres round a family coming to terms with a 5 year old boy being diagnosed as autistic. He's a happy chap - moderately autistic but the angst and the comedy, for there's both in large measure, comes from the family's attempt to cope and come to terms with the boy's diagnosis. It's a great ensemble piece with a terrific young lad playing the boy, but Christopher Eccleston really walks away with the show as the boy's grandad. He really is a man not totally in control of the world around him. You can actually find series one on YouTube. It's not obviously easy to watch as it's been surrounded and off-set in the screen, presumeably to get round BBC rights. It's worth pursuing though. Do you use Amazon? If you don't use Netflix then Amazon Prime may be attractive to you. Or even Now TV. Any monthly fee can easily be cancelled after your 3 or 4 months use. I cannot tell you how intrigued I am as to where you go in the 8 or 9 months where you have no TV or internet!!!

You need Internet for Amazon too - so it's the same situation as Netflix, ie I haven't bothered as I can only get it for 3 months of the year. Oh - just seen about paying monthly... Do you know, that never even ocurred to me!!! Duh, duh and triple duh!

I have previously dipped into the A word, but despite being filmed in the Lakes and playing Spot the Location, I found it too difficult viewing for me.  My cousin is autistic and it was not the escapism I am after..

To answer your question, for 8/9 months of the year I work in a youth hostel in one of the remoter valleys of the Lake District. There is no mobile signal at all and the hostel doesn't have internet or wifi.  But I love it! I cook, I clean, I do reception and a.dmin, I instruct activities - the day is always varied and no day is like the last.  We get lovely guests - families, individuals, school groups, cycling and walking groups - all sorts..... I work in a small team of slightly cracked in the head, but lovely people and we all work really well together and are very supportive of each other.  The landscape is incredible. I live at the foot of the highest fells in England and the river valley ranges from wild and untamed in the upper reaches, to gentle and pastoral as it potters it's way to the sea.  It rains a lot... I love being on the fells and mainly hike, but I also run and climb. And I know all the best places for wild swimming!

In the winter the hostel closes so I have to find an alternative life for the winter. Accommodation isn't a problem, but work is - it is very seasonal here as it relies on tourism.  But I usually pick up a few bits and pieces to top up what I save up over the summer. And it nice to have a rest after a mad summer and have time to catch up with freinds and get out on the hills. Smile

But when it rains, I need to watch stuff! Or read...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:45 pm

What a fascinating insight into the world of diamonds!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:57 am

diamondsandpearls wrote:
I have previously dipped into the A word, but despite being filmed in the Lakes and playing Spot the Location, I found it too difficult viewing for me.  My cousin is autistic and it was not the escapism I am after..

To answer your question, for 8/9 months of the year I work in a youth hostel in one of the remoter valleys of the Lake District. There is no mobile signal at all and the hostel doesn't have internet or wifi.  But I love it! I cook, I clean, I do reception and a.dmin, I instruct activities - the day is always varied and no day is like the last.  We get lovely guests - families, individuals, school groups, cycling and walking groups - all sorts..... I work in a small team of slightly cracked in the head, but lovely people and we all work really well together and are very supportive of each other.  The landscape is incredible. I live at the foot of the highest fells in England and the river valley ranges from wild and untamed in the upper reaches, to gentle and pastoral as it potters it's way to the sea.  It rains a lot... I love being on the fells and mainly hike, but I also run and climb. And I know all the best places for wild swimming!

In the winter the hostel closes so I have to find an alternative life for the winter. Accommodation isn't a problem, but work is - it is very seasonal here as it relies on tourism.  But I usually pick up a few bits and pieces to top up what I save up over the summer. And it nice to have a rest after a mad summer and have time to catch up with freinds and get out on the hills. Smile

But when it rains, I need to watch stuff! Or read...

I know what you mean about The A Word. My son's autistic too. What we see in The A Word brings back not just the trials we had but the funny situations we found ourselves in as well. Mostly the funny situations in fact. At 5, he didn't speak. We managed to get him a day place with a local special school run by the National Autistic Society. They were incredibly good for him and now he's an adult, literate, numerate and very verbal. And very happy thank goodness. He went from quite difficult to borderline autistic/Aspergers. He has difficulty making friends in real life but has made friends online with people around the world.

Your "day job" sounds fab. It's the sort of thing my other son would love as opposed to the job he has just now. The wild swimming, walking, climbing, mountain biking etc etc. is right up his street. The only thing missing is surfing. He loves the lakes too as do we all. We stayed a few nights in a hostel at Elterwater near Ambleside as part of a holiday a couple of years ago. Sadly my walking days are pretty much over, but Jamie and my wife would go off up hill, down dale as much as possible.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:54 am

Wow Diamonds it just reinforces my opinion even more that we should get our own slot on ITT because so many of us (not me) have  such interesting lives. My brother is probably a kindred spirit of yours, he leads expeditions to do research in the Amazon,  lived in Tanzania for two years doing VSO, did a couple of expeditions to Mongolia and does all sorts of team building stuff for big companies in his day job. Currently not doing so well as contracted a rather nasty parasitic infection in the Amazon this year and has just undergone five weeks of rather horrible daily treatment at Sheffield where the IV bag had in very large letters POISON pale  anyway the blood tests are looking positive with no damage to his organs.

Some days I'm quite glad I don't lead his adventurous life...... Wink
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 am

allsewnonbyhand wrote: Currently not doing so well as contracted a rather nasty parasitic infection in the Amazon this year and has just undergone five weeks of rather horrible daily treatment at Sheffield where the IV bag had in very large letters POISON pale  anyway the blood tests are looking positive with no damage to his organs.
Puts all of our aches and pains into the shadows. Hope he make steady progress allsewn
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:06 am

Twirlie wrote:

My son's autistic too. What we see in The A Word brings back not just the trials we had but the funny situations we found ourselves in as well.

Your "day job" sounds fab. It's the sort of thing my other son would love as opposed to the job he has just now. The wild swimming, walking, climbing, mountain biking etc etc. is right up his street.

I was worn out just reading diamonds exciting day job. Something my youngster would really enjoy too.

I was speaking to an adult living with Aspergers and found his take on life very interesting. Regarding work, he said in days gone by, adults with his challenges could escape some of the social contact by training in jobs with low contact/high skill set, where they could work alone in a small room in silence, for example, repairing clocks, silver smith work, or to work outdoors with animals or nature. He said his worst nightmares were public transport. That he felt safer in his car where he didn't need to contact with strangers. He also hated the fashion in the 80s/90s for open plan offices and schools that had similar arrangements. It was very illuminating and made me think about things differently. My friend also has a son with Autism who regularly contacts me on FB for a short chat.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:32 pm

B4p wrote:I was speaking to an adult living with Aspergers and found his take on life very interesting. Regarding work, he said in days gone by, adults with his challenges could escape some of the social contact by training in jobs with low contact/high skill set, where they could work alone in a small room in silence, for example, repairing clocks, silver smith work, or to work outdoors with animals or nature. He said his worst nightmares were public transport. That he felt safer in his car where he didn't need to contact with strangers. He also hated the fashion in the 80s/90s for open plan offices and schools that had similar arrangements. It was very illuminating and made me think about things differently. My friend also has a son with Autism who regularly contacts me on FB for a short chat.
One of the difficulties of autism/aspergers is that no two people are affected in the same way. It's what makes it so difficult to catogorise. It can also, if you're not careful, make it easy for government agencies to shirk their responsibilities. We had to fight to get our boy "Statemented" so that the education authorities would pay for the extra help he needed. Sadly, even now he's unable to work. He has too many phobias about germs and working in an unclean environment would be impossible for him. He even uses his T shirts to open door handles in our own home! At least he can safely get out and about the local area on his own, and we can now safely leave him on his own for an evening while we go out to a concert or play. We're making up these days for the years when it was impossible to get out, and finding suitable baby sitters was a bit hard. Although he lives at home and spends most of his time at his computer, we're lucky in that he's a happy lad with a strong sense of humour and very affectionate. Every hour or so he comes downstairs to visit us and give us a hug. Then it's back to the computer!!!!

I think anyone with someone in the family who is autistic can have lots to say about it. I realise I'm rambling a bit now so I'll draw a line here on the subject. Smile
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Everyone is an individual no matter what their ability. Did anyone else watch Chris Packham ( there I go again I'm sure we've had this conversation so forgive me if I repeating). He made me realise how exhausting it must be for him to do his job - which as it's broadcasting is no mean feat with his condition! He has developed a myriad of coping strategies to allow him to function in a world that doesn't really accommodate him. I've always liked him, indeed I met him once when he came into a pub I worked in when I was a student, but my admiration for him increased tenfold after that programme.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:Everyone is an individual no matter what their ability. Did anyone else watch Chris Packham ( there I go again I'm sure we've had this conversation so forgive me if I repeating). He made me realise how exhausting it must be for him to do his job - which as it's broadcasting is no mean feat with his condition! He has developed a myriad of coping strategies to allow him to function in a world that doesn't really accommodate him. I've always liked him, indeed I met him once when he came into a pub I worked in when I was a student, but my admiration for him increased tenfold after that programme.
You're right - he's quite a man! Like him, many people on the spectrum need to find ways to manage their day to day existence. I came across an autistic girl once (woman) who lectured to parents on what it was like to be their children. She was fine and could cope with an audience, she said, while she was holding onto a quire of paper. Which she was. It was her security blanket. Chris on the other hand has a much harder task.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Sid wrote:

Stranger Things! I was going to post about that CC but thought "no one'll be watching that!" Am having serious withdrawals after devouring the second series quicker than a demogorgan devours its victims. Have you watched them all?

Yes Sid. Like you I polished the second series off in about three days. The writers say there is enough scope for two more series but no more than that. Another series worth a watch on Netflix is Timeless - an intriguing time travel series with a sub-plot. Also awaiting the return of Wayward Pines as they debate whether to make a third series though that was not a Netflix series but FOX.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Sid wrote:What a fascinating insight into the world of diamonds!

TMI? Very Happy
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Chris Packham? Condition? Not aware of any but I don't often watch spring watch etc any more after the treatment of Bill Oddie... It's ironic if one presenters mental health problems are helped and a compromise made when another wasn't helped....
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:06 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Chris Packham? Condition? Not aware of any but I don't often watch spring watch etc any more after the treatment of Bill Oddie... It's ironic if one presenters mental health problems are helped and a compromise made when another wasn't helped....
He has Asberger's Sax
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe - Page 2 Empty Re: Other TV Programmes you like or loathe

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:10 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Also awaiting the return of Wayward Pines as they debate whether to make a third series though that was not a Netflix series but FOX.

I loved Wayward Pines - I keep promising myself to read the book on which it is based but haven't got around to it. I must say that both Mr Mauve and I, plus a friend that we converted to it, enjoyed the first series more than the second - ie - before the mystery of the place was revealed. I found the second series went a bit strange although the last scene left it all wide open suggesting a third series, however, I did some research and FOX were saying that there would not be another series unfortunately - I think due to finances but I'm not sure. Perhaps they are reconsidering?? (hopefully!)

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:16 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Yes Sid. Like you I polished the second series off in about three days. The writers say there is enough scope for two more series but no more than that. Another series worth a watch on Netflix is Timeless - an intriguing time travel series with a sub-plot. Also awaiting the return of Wayward Pines as they debate whether to make a third series though that was not a Netflix series but FOX.

Hoping more iconic faces from the 80s pop up in series 3 + 4. Sean Astin and Paul Reiser were genius casting moves. What about Dustin getting his dance with Nancy though? That was a perfect little moment! And so good to see Winona Ryder playing such a different part to the cool, urbane chick she's typically played in the past.  I'll have to check out Timeless and Wayward Pines - always on the look out for new Netflix series to binge on.  

diamondsandpearls wrote:
TMI? Very Happy

For a nosy sod like me? Never!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Twirlie wrote:
One of the difficulties of autism/aspergers is that no two people are affected in the same way. It's what makes it so difficult to catogorise. It can also, if you're not careful, make it easy for government agencies to shirk their responsibilities. We had to fight to get our boy "Statemented" so that the education authorities would pay for the extra help he needed. Sadly, even now he's unable to work. He has too many phobias about germs and working in an unclean environment would be impossible for him. He even uses his T shirts to open door handles in our own home! At least he can safely get out and about the local area on his own, and we can now safely leave him on his own for an evening while we go out to a concert or play. We're making up these days for the years when it was impossible to get out, and finding suitable baby sitters was a bit hard. Although he lives at home and spends most of his time at his computer, we're lucky in that he's a happy lad with a strong sense of humour and very affectionate. Every hour or so he comes downstairs to visit us and give us a hug. Then it's back to the computer!!!!

I think anyone with someone in the family who is autistic can have lots to say about it. I realise I'm rambling a bit now so I'll draw a line here on the subject. Smile

My older cousin only got a diagnosis (despite my aunt trying since he was about ten or eleven) of autism about four years ago - when he was fifty!!! He was always very bright and intelligent, ie acedemically able, but obviously there were and are a myriad of other issues. He couldn;t live independently, but now that he has had the diagnosis and is i the system he has his own place with apprpriate support (though my aunt is so used to having to look out for him that she can't leave him alone, to the exasperation of the other members of the family). He has worked in the past, but as someone said further down, working conditions have changed so that it is much more of a public arena now and he just can;t do it.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:08 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

I loved Wayward Pines - I keep promising myself to read the book on which it is based but haven't got around to it.  I must say that both Mr Mauve and I, plus a friend that we converted to it, enjoyed the first series more than the second - ie - before the mystery of the place was revealed.  I found the second series went a bit strange although the last scene left it all wide open suggesting a third series, however, I did some research and FOX were saying that there would not be another series unfortunately - I think due to finances but I'm not sure.  Perhaps they are reconsidering??  (hopefully!)

Last reports suggest they were still discussing the possibility of a third series earlier this Autumn. Nothing concrete either way so it is in the balance.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Sid wrote:For a nosy sod like me? Never!

lol!

Well, a further insight into living in a place where it rains a lot is that I am currently hunkered down as there are flood alerts everywhere. I have a house in Cockermouth (my sister lives in it) which has flooded twice already, so on days like this I am all antsy and can't settle.  There is precisely nothing that can be done as it is just nature (and climate change) doing its thing - I can't even get through to Cockermouth because of road closures due to flooding - I have to say, this forum is very soothing and calming - I am 'researching' some of my replies by looking at youtube clips of past Strictly glories (mainly Rachel, Kara and Kimberley,with a bit of Scott Maslen thrown in...) - and it is is nice to 'talk' to people who aren't in the vicinity and all worrying together.

So now I am going to be nosy (I am notoriously as curious as a proverbial cat...) - what do you do Sid? (No need to answer if you prefer to preserve a veil of mystery, but I am always interested!)

Cal wrote:Yes Sid. Like you I polished the second series off in about three days

Also, I can't work out what programme you and Cal were talking about. I started going backwards up the thread to find out and ended up by being diverted by a discussion od autism and aspergers...  Care to put me out of my misery?!

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Twirlie wrote:

I know what you mean about The A Word. My son's autistic too. What we see in The A Word brings back not just the trials we had but the funny situations we found ourselves in as well. Mostly the funny situations in fact. At 5, he didn't speak. We managed to get him a day place with a local special school run by the National Autistic Society. They were incredibly good for him and now he's an adult, literate, numerate and very verbal. And very happy thank goodness. He went from quite difficult to borderline autistic/Aspergers. He has difficulty making friends in real life but has made friends online with people around the world.

Your "day job" sounds fab. It's the sort of thing my other son would love as opposed to the job he has just now. The wild swimming, walking, climbing, mountain biking etc etc. is right up his street. The only thing missing is surfing. He loves the lakes too as do we all. We stayed a few nights in a hostel at Elterwater near Ambleside as part of a holiday a couple of years ago. Sadly my walking days are pretty much over, but Jamie and my wife would go off up hill, down dale as much as possible.

Know it well - I worked there for a bit :-)

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:26 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:Wow Diamonds it just reinforces my opinion even more that we should get our own slot on ITT because so many of us (not me) have  such interesting lives. My brother is probably a kindred spirit of yours, he leads expeditions to do research in the Amazon,  lived in Tanzania for two years doing VSO, did a couple of expeditions to Mongolia and does all sorts of team building stuff for big companies in his day job. Currently not doing so well as contracted a rather nasty parasitic infection in the Amazon this year and has just undergone five weeks of rather horrible daily treatment at Sheffield where the IV bag had in very large letters POISON pale  anyway the blood tests are looking positive with no damage to his organs.

Some days I'm quite glad I don't lead his adventurous life...... Wink

Oh gosh no - my life is incredibly tame in comparison to that! I love to travel, but I go to much less 'difficult' places :-) I am way to much of a scaredy cat to go to places where the animals and insect are bitey and dangerous! Mosquitoes are as dangerous as I am prepared to go!

I'm so glad that there is no damage to his organs, bu tthe whole thing sounds horrendous. He sounds VERY adventurous!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:54 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

lol!

Well, a further insight into living in a place where it rains a lot is that I am currently hunkered down as there are flood alerts everywhere. I have a house in Cockermouth (my sister lives in it) which has flooded twice already, so on days like this I am all antsy and can't settle.  There is precisely nothing that can be done as it is just nature (and climate change) doing its thing - I can't even get through to Cockermouth because of road closures due to flooding - I have to say, this forum is very soothing and calming - I am 'researching' some of my replies by looking at youtube clips of past Strictly glories (mainly Rachel, Kara and Kimberley,with a bit of Scott Maslen thrown in...) - and it is is nice to 'talk' to people who aren't in the vicinity and all worrying together.

So now I am going to be nosy (I am notoriously as curious as a proverbial cat...) - what do you do Sid? (No need to answer if you prefer to preserve a veil of mystery, but I am always interested!)

Also, I can't work out what programme you and Cal were talking about. I started going backwards up the thread to find out and ended up by being diverted by a discussion od autism and aspergers...  Care to put me out of my misery?!

Stranger Things, Sid. Wink lol!
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:51 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

If you like the idea of a spooky, lovingly made homage to 80s films - and with a strong Stephen King vibe - you'll love Stranger Things.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum