Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows

+6
diamondsandpearls
mauveangel09
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
Poppetlovestango
B4p
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows - Page 2 Empty RE: SCD 2018 Weekly Highs and Lows

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:45 am

HIGHS
The Aretha Franklin tribute and the choir
Graeme and Oti's waltz - to a song associated with my dear Mum
Graeme not being in the dance off!
Ashley and P asha's Foxtrot
Kate being voted through

LOWS
The scoring which was all over the place with some unjust low scores and overscoring for others
Kate's blue dress
Continued favouritism and gushing over Joe

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows - Page 2 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Highs
Lauren and AJ’s Waltz
Lauren’s dress
Oti’s pants!
The group dance from the results show.
The graphics in the show, especially the stone skimming across the dance floor at the beginning of Stacey and Kevin’s Moon River Waltz

Lows
Graeme’s costume.
Shirley’s comments to Faye.
Shirley’s fake emotion in Ashley’s comments
Charles’s overdone emotion every week now – shades of Ore – and all trying to drum up sympathy for votes. It’s becoming tiresome.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Highs. Generally decent show all round with everybody trying and doing well.
Ashley's brilliant dance.
Wife cheering when Danny got the boot made me laugh.
Kate getting through because I thought she might be in danger.
Graeme getting to Blackpool because he's a genuine trier.
Oti's face because I think she thought they had lost after C raig's vote.
Claudia's dolphin comment.

Lows. Graeme's outfit had me head shaking right off.
Graeme's gym choreography, worst of the night. Luckily, he pulled it off faultlessly.
Joe's striding and stretching. Hope he listened.
Shirley's jive comments.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows - Page 2 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Weekly Highs and Lows

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:55 pm

HIGHS
I loved loved loved the RAF tribute pro dance on Sunday night - and Amy excelled herself. I was wondering how and if they would do the 100 years anniversary of the end of WW1 - but they chose to do the RAF anniversary instead and I thought it was fab.
So glad that Kate is through to Blackpool - I did worry
Glad that Graeme is through
Really enjoyed Lauren's Viennese Waltz
Loved An ton and Luba's Viennese Waltz to the Bocellis on Sunday night...…………..long live dance!!!!

LOWS - not many - for me it was a really good show this week
Joe being overmarked
The whole Danny thing from start to finish

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:00 pm

I've still not managed to see the main show yet although I did see the results show so know the outcome. I'll hopefully get chance tomorrow to catch up
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Highs.
Many, right from the group dance start off and as a long-time admirer of Gloria Estafan, delight in seeing her.
All the dances and the obvious effort from everyone. As such I'll leave out singling anyone especially. I just enjoyed
the whole thing from start to finish.
Blackpool. Unbeatable.

Lows. None to speak of except C raig being a drama queen as ever.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:48 pm

HIGHS
The music and the choreography (except for the track that Lauren and AJ used)
The very good use of the backing dancers (Johannes was a real star - he seemed to be popping up everywhere)
Charles and Karen's Samba
'That' Jive!
The sheer enthusiasm for the show from all concerned...……...in fact I loved the whole show from start to finish

LOWS
None at all this week except I felt sorry for Lauren and AJ as it wasn't really their dance this week...…….but she still got through!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:44 pm

highs
Faye's waltz, Stacey's paso
The absolute carnage at the end of the LH-athon Very Happy

lows
Charles' tango, Joe's ...what was it?! scratch
Ungracious judges - you know who you are Evil or Very Mad
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:43 pm

Highs', like Allsewn I go for: Faye's waltz, Stacey's Paso plus Ashley's Samba, all top notch. In general, the show quality was pretty good all round. Graham was always going, it was his time whoever he faced from higher up the ladder because Lauren has the popularity and someone has to go. I think she'll see off Charles before she leaves (if she leaves, that is) purely on the same popularity. It isn't even beyond the bounds of possibility that she may go on and win it.

Lows' A couple of dodgy music choices and not over impressed with Joe's offering at all. It might have been well done enough for what it was, but it could have backfired but for the judges. Tens were a joke.I just want the winner to get there on dance merit, not popularity. Same with Lauren's offering, it wasn't grade one at all. Choice of choreography is as important right now as the dancing.
C raig's crass behaviour to Graeme.
The daftathon. Proved nothing at all. I'm betting the live audience were as baffled as the T.V viewers.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:02 pm

HIGHS
The dance routine with the dance company on the results show
Stacey's Paso
Faye's waltz
Some good music tracks
The shambles at the end of the Lindy-hop a thon - live TV!! Smile Smile what's the betting they pre-record something next year??

LOWS
Why have an anything thon??? except to manipulate the line up for the final weeks
Lauren and Charles both escaping the DO (sorry folks)
Joe getting a '10' for that routine!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Anyone else out there...…

Highs
Enjoyed 'Musicals' night more than what I thought I would. The 'toons' were much better than I thought they would be and the standard of dancing was amazing.
Ashley's quick step
The lonely Goatherds!
Lauren's lovely routine
Group n umbers on both nights - Mamma Mia and 'Rhythm of Life'

Lows
Shirley's critique of Ashley
B runo giving Joe a '10'

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:22 pm

Highs

I've watched Musicals week three times now, one of the highlight nights of the series imo
Lauren getting a standing ovation from Shirley (ok, so I normally complain about the judge's lack of objectivity, but made an exception here!)
Johannes....he must have a partner next year
Lovely words from Charles at his exit, plus I think he brought out a better side of Karen this year
I noticed the judges were all very careful to explain why they chose Ashley over Charles in the DO, i wonder were they reprimanded for the 'no brainer' insults which they gave Graeme the previous week.

Lows

Did feel sorry for Ashley in her second DO
Creepy goats, creepy puppets...wasn't a fan of Faye's charleston
Can't believe there's only two more shows Crying or Very sad

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:03 am

Highs: Good show overall, good performance by everyone and Charles and Karen's graceful exit. Asley's great repeat performance in the dance off.

Lows. The unfairness of putting Ashley under undue stress and mental pressure from knowing she shouldn't have been in the dance off once, never mind twice.
Silver tongued Italian Stallion's 10 for Joe.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:25 pm

While both the main show and the results show were indeed overall good shows, these were the high and low points for me.

Highs
Lauren and AJ’s American Smooth and their reaction to avoiding the Dance Off.
Faye and Giovanni
Mamma Mia routine
Rhythm of Life Routine
Neil and Katya’s routine to We Are The Champions
Charles and Karen leaving

Lows
Stacey and Kevin’s American Smooth and Stacey’s costume
Charles and Karen’s Rumba
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Highs

Loved Lauren's dress

Faye's dance

Better Music

Lows

Creepy Goat herder aka creepy Elf

Ashley a foregone conclusion before step taken in dance off be saved... just feel one sided

Charles going.It to a while but I warmed to him
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:42 pm

Series Highs and Lows

HIGHS
I enjoyed the music much more this year - they recycled some good tunes from past SCD series and I felt a lot more classics were used. Not all the time but feel it went in a better direction this year.
I think the Blackpool show was one of the best ever.
I wasn't sure about the Couples Choices but actually enjoyed this addition (although there is a 'but'...….see below)
Judges worked better together this year - Shirley was a lot better and seems to have grown into the role.
Johannes and Luba - great additions to the company
Great use of special effects in the studio this year
The band and singers - always the consummate professionals
ITT - (not on Friday nights) particularly Zoe and Ian ( I can take or leave Gethin!!) the last show on Friday was brilliant.
Reconciliations - seeing KH again on ITT and Arlene doing the choreography for that fantastic collaboration dance. Now all I want is for B rendan to reappear next year!!!

Top Routines
My memorable ones are:

The 'matrix' dance - Seann and Katya
'Couples Choice' Street dance - Charles and Karen
Samba at Blackpool Charles and Karen
'South Pacific' American Smooth in Musicals week - Lauren and AJ
Waltz to Engelbert Humperdink - and also for pure fun their 80s Jane Fonda Salsa!!!! - Graeme and Oti
Jive at Blackpool and also their Foxtrot and American Smooth - Ashley and Pasha
Paso - Stacey and Kevin
Argentine Tango, Lonely Goatherd Charleston, Foxtrot and their Showdance - Faye and Gio
Quick Step at Blackpool (their Couples Choice with the 'balls' will remain memorable to me for the wrong reasons) Joe and Dianne

LOWS
Too much manipulation of all kinds (judges, scoring, music and dance choices on certain weeks etc) Sad
Some of the Dance Offs seemed a bit 'fixed'
Lindy hop-a thon
Predictability at the top - caused through the way the casting was done this year
The Couples Choice means that everyone does one less ballroom/latin Sad
Cha Cha bashing - (what has the poor cha cha done to people to warrant the bashing it got this year!) Very Happy
The tendency of the production team to 'focus' on certain dances each series - last year it was the Charleston that was done to death - this year everyone seemed to have to do the Samba for some reason.
Pro- dances on Sunday night - didn't enjoy them so much this year - some of them seemed a bit busy - sorry guys
Pointless promo stuff that the celebs have to do and cheesy VTs
Friday Night panel on ITT - needs a rethink
Sad about the scandals and the so called 'Strictly Curse' that seems to be putting off some celebs from appearing on the programme.
Neil again not getting a partner - why did Graziano get one??????

And finally.........S id no longer being on the forum!!!! Hope you'll be back next year S id -

xx

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

And finally.........S id no longer being on the forum!!!!    Hope you'll be back next year S id -

Hear, hear!    cheers cheers cheers cheers
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:53 pm

No lows; if there was one it's the series music choices which have been consitently bad.

Highs: Enjoyed the pros, the band and Michael Buble. I just enjoyed it all, special effects and lighting included.: Ashley and Pasha, overall dancers of the night, Faye and Gio's Broadway number, dance of the night and well done Stacey and Kevin for winning and producing a great Paso with Malaguena as the best music. That's about it. Though we may not be finally switching the lights off yet, I'll add my best wishes for Christmas and New Year and thanks for all your company through the series. santa
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:38 pm

I can't think of many to add on top of Mauves and Tangos's lists. Here's a jumble round-up thoughts on 2018...

Highs

The biggest high for me was following Lauren's progress. Tbh I didn't expect her to get as far as the semi-finals, so each week past blackpool was a bonus in my eyes. Just as an aside, I saw an interview with AJ and Lauren at the Sports Personality event yesterday, and they looked and sounded radiant. Whoever was in charge of the pairings for 2018 got it so right with them.

Some gorgeous dances, and some standout choreography. Ashley's foxtrot will stick in my mind, Seann's matrix, Lauren's vienesse waltz and american smooth, and Faye's couples choice and her showdance.

The 'middle-runners' all seemed such a lovely bunch, and it was a shame to see each of them go. In particular I'll remember Graeme's spiderman routine, Ranj's fireball salsa, Kate's ice queen routine and Charles' street dance.

Overall I think the themed nights were better than usual, and I really enjoyed musicals week in particular

A bonus that there weren't any comedy acts  (well, maybe they tried to pin that on Susannah but it didn't work)

Johannes - a must-have for 2019

Good to see fewer of the childish panto-routines between Claud and T.ess

I was glad to be proved wrong in believing Joe's voting millions would give him the glitterball.  But please no Zoella next year.

I've been watching a lot of youtube extra footage this year, especially from AJ, Janette and Joe. It's quite addictive and really interesting to see more behind-the-scenes stuff. I've also completely reversed my previously agin view on Janette, she comes across as such a lovely and genuine person in her vlogs.

Lows

Don't know why, but throughout the series I got increasingly irritated by Kevin's choreography and attitude, and Stacey was my least favourite in the final.  I'm hoping that Kevin follows his sister's example and leaves Strictly as reigning pro.

Snog-gate cast a shadow for a few weeks. The lowest point of the series for me was that excruciatingly cringy interview with Seann and Katya on ITT - I actually thought the BBC were milking the situation for publicity at one stage.  Please please please new producer, don't go down the lines of X Factor etc.

Alleged bullying by Danny. It was good to see him reappear at the final show, but a strange situation altogether.

Two full-scale ringers is two too many in my book. Especially as Ashley knocked my favourites out like skittles in three consecutive dance-offs.

There were a couple of very popular routines which I detested!! Stacey's paso, which I saw as a parody. And then there was Faye's creepy goat charleston. Shudder!

I totally agree with Diamond's complaint that the dresses aren't what they used to be. I suspect wardrobe had a budget cut a few years ago, and it really shows.

Neither high nor low

I'm sitting on the fence in terms of the Couples Choice new dance styles. Some worked, some didn't. If the CC was introduced in place of the rumba, I think I'd be happier with it.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum