Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Showdances 2018 Yeh or Nay?

+4
diamondsandpearls
allsewnonbyhand
TANGOLERO
B4p
8 posters

Go down

Showdances 2018 Yeh or Nay? Empty Showdances 2018 Yeh or Nay?

Post  B4p Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:54 pm

My favourite was Faye & Gio.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Showdances 2018 Yeh or Nay? Empty Re: Showdances 2018 Yeh or Nay?

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:27 pm

I thought they were all very good and introduced several elements outside the strictly norm. I loved Ashley's balletic contemporary as what it was, a showdance, and yes, Faye and Gio's tie and tails Broadway number epitomised that era pefectly. Very Golden age of dance-Fread and Gingers class. All four were worthy of praise. I just love watching good dance and this was that. Well done all the pros for invention and class.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:59 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Well done all the pros for invention and class.
Agree. I was dreading something gymnastic with the lots of overhead 'dead-lifts.' Kevin looked like he was about to swing for Cr aig when he said Kevin's show dance was a lot of running about. They must all be running on adrenaline. Not sure how they come down from that high.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 am

Ashley - yeh
Faye - yeh
Joe- yeh
Stacey - meh oops nay

I agree hats off to the pros for clever concepts and choreography. Difficult to be original when they'd already had a couples choice in the series, but they did it.  Faye's won it for me on the night. Even though I didn't get wowed by Stacey's I thought it was a good concept.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:46 am

Faye - massive yeh! It was a Show dance

Ashley - yeh.  But though beautiful and technically difficult it had no showiness to it

Joe- yeh-ish Had potential and was reasonably showy but was a bit messy

Stacey - nah.  It had the kitchen sink,  the downstairs toilet and the garden shed and it's entire contents thrown at it and yet it failed to impress. It was slow at times, not matching the joyous upbeat tempo of the dance. And not amazing or dangerous like Kevin promised (Joe's was much more dangerous with the unpractised trampolining ten feet off the ground)

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:36 am

If I am being honest Ashley's was the best although I felt Faye's dance I'd love more than I did. The premise suited me more of music and dance from a golden age but it just fell a little flat compared to Ashley's dance. Stacey and Kevin's was a weird concoction that just did not do it for me whilst Joe's was a fair effort and more adventurous than some of the others.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Ashley - I admired and enjoyed it, but apart from the revolving floor I felt I'd already seen this dance as their CC. Also, I think there's something intrinsically ugly about the contemporary open-legged upside-down lift, and also the angular legs.

Faye - my favourite of the four showdances. Glamour, glitz, a perfect quickstep sequence, dancing on a giant sparkly top hot...what's not to like

Joe - energetic but quite messy. Wasn't expecting the trampoline element which I thought was a fun touch

Stacey - really didn't enjoy this. I sometimes feel Kevin's approach to storytelling is too literal and relies on too many props.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:27 pm

jingle wrote:Ashley - I admired and enjoyed it, but apart from the revolving floor I felt I'd already seen this dance as their CC.  Also, I think there's something intrinsically ugly about the contemporary open-legged upside-down lift, and also the angular legs.  

Despite loving the films (Dirty Dancing and Havana Nights) I have to be honest and say I've always thought "the lift" was a "Ready, steady, go....!"amateurish bit of nonsense thaqt had little to do with dance. It didn't even look that good in the film for me, but there it had a purpose as a rebellious gesture at authority in the story. Put against the mambo of Patrick Swayze and Cynthia Rhodes it was almost comical. Despite wanting Ashley to win, I must admit I cringed when I found they were doing that dance. Fortunately, it worked..
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Showdances 2018 Yeh or Nay? Empty Re: Showdances 2018 Yeh or Neh?

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Faye - Yeh - Fantastic!! - thought it would be my favourite when I heard the music and what they were going to do - it didn't disappoint and was just 'up there' with the greats for me. I like the way Gio always plays to the strengths of his partner in his Showdances and has done something completely different in each of the Finals in which he has appeared. Loved the massive Top Hat.

Ashley - Neh - An enjoyable and moving routine for which I appreciated the difficulty but it did seem very similar to their 'Couples Choice' as someone else has said. I never think that these dances go down too well in the Final although I know Pasha did win previously with a sort of ballet/contemporary n umber.

Joe - Yeh rather than Neh - it was ok. I'll probably have forgotten it by next year. The thing I will remember is the opening where they were dancing on the amps. I thought that what they did was clever and innovative and suited the music and it did showcase Joe and the progress that he has made.

Stacey - Neh rather than Yeh. It was a bit weird to me. I thought the music was brilliant and was pleased that Keven had moved away from the usual rather formulaic Showdances of his past Finals - it seemed exciting that it was going to be Jive based and it certainly delivered on the energy front - but to me it was a lost opportunity as the choreography just didn't inspire and I thought it could have been so much sharper and better and less 'messy' I hated the ending. It was like the end of night dance at a party - but it still won her the Glitterball? (or was it the Foxtrot and Paso that did it?????) Not to take anything away from her, as I was quite happy that she won but as we said in the week - she had a great combination of dances and music to help her on her way.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Faye - yes definitely. How could anyone not adore that number.

Ashley - yes, a strong contemporary number but not my favourite.

Joe - yes - obviously not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but inventive, fun, and colour coordinated!

Stacey - no - a bit embarrassing, too messy, no sense of purpose just....  a mess. I never thought I say this, but I think Kevin's past his sell-by date.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum