Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re: SCD 2019 Costumes, Glamour and Glitz

2 posters

Go down

Re: SCD 2019 Costumes, Glamour and Glitz Empty Re: SCD 2019 Costumes, Glamour and Glitz

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:25 am

I think Amy's shoes would not have been so bad if they had not looked like white jazz dance shoes or at worse something off the shelf of a cheap shoe shop. Can't say I agree with the flat shoes for salsa - to get down into the floor you need a bit of a heel (trust me) even if it is a low block style - the height of a tap shoe heel or a Cuban heel - but at the end of the day its personal choice and what goes with the dance at the time - for me those shoes didn't go with the dance at all - as Karen's didn't either. I'm sure we're going to see a lot more weird and wonderful footwear in the Hallowe'en show!

I agree with the views that the girls costumes were really nice last week with the celeb girls getting costumes that were just as nice as the pro girls - but the mens costumes have been pants in a lot of cases. Peaky Blinders overkill.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2019 Costumes, Glamour and Glitz Empty Re: Re: SCD 2019 Costumes, Glamour and Glitz

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi Mauve- something weird happening as your post has appeared in a new topic (but with the same name...)

I think we're agreeing in essence - the shoes (especially Karen's) didn't go with the spirit of the dance. I just like a good witter and a chance to share dance videos!

I think we may have a different experience of the Salsa. I learnt more of a Cuban street style salsa where you don't go into the floor like you do with the cha cha cha (or even the competition version of Salsa) bet sort of get down to the floor and actually dance with quite flat feet a lot of the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMm3lt5xkF4

The girl in this video (and the chap) is wearing trainers and dances very bent-legged which sends the bottom sort of parallel to the floor - and that is what I mean by getting down to the floor. A heel would make her dance more upright (although it would also force her bottom out!) and she would tend to be more pointy-toed. But probably this style of salsa is not what they are looking for in competition dancing and is not what you have experienced?

But this was why I said initially I didn't mind Amy in flat shoes for a salsa. But she wasn't wearing her trainers with cut off shorts - she was wearing them with full tassel-tastic silver bugle beads! Just NO! And also, if looking for a more competition-style getting into the floor (like rumba, cha cha cha, samba) then they absolutely won't do!

So I DO agree with you!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2019 Costumes, Glamour and Glitz Empty Re: SCD Costumes Glamour and Glitz

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:41 am

Hi D+P

Just posting this to make sure it goes in the right thread, There was a glitch the other night with the site I think as some of the quotes were coming up strange as well - Hallowe'en gremlins

That's a good video you posted - a fairly basic and recognisable salsa - no different than what I had in mind but I wouldn't dance salsa in trainers. Apart from the figure of eight bits I think she is slightly dancing up on the balls of her feet which she wouldn't have to do with a block heel - but the set of the video is in someone's kitchen so it all looks absolutely fine whereas it probably wouldn't in a salsa club - different things look right (or wrong in Amy's case) in different settings - the video looks great.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Re: SCD 2019 Costumes, Glamour and Glitz Empty Re: Re: SCD 2019 Costumes, Glamour and Glitz

Post  diamondsandpearls Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Hmmm... still wrong thread! (and yes, quotes are all over the place)!

The correct thead has a lot more posts in it (last one by B4p at time of typing this). Not going to write any more posts on this thread so that we don't go too far down the line of having parallell threads!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum