Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 Member's News

+4
saxonsiren
CaledonianCraig
diamondsandpearls
B4p
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2020 Member's News Empty 2020 Member's News

Post  B4p Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:19 am

Highlights of 2020 so far?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2020 Member's News Empty Re: 2020 Member's News

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Possibly contraversially... Lockdown!

We all know how much I love to be a lady of leisure and waft about purposelessly at will, and lockdown enabled me to do that, whilst providing me with an income to cover my Mr Duffins* and lingerie habit.

Being back at work was a jolt - weird and surreal at first, and then plain bloody hard graft as 3 month's-worth of people descended on the Lakes at once. In fact, so hard has my graft been that I have crooked my back. Grrr!

So yes, lockdown was great for me...

*Mr Duffins is the very fine coffee, roasted and ground in our villlage. Many single roasts and blends are available, but my favourite remains Shout Out; it has a good kick!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:30 pm

Obviously, lockdown has really hit everyone is some way or another. It doesn't help when the company you work for are totally unsympathetic and we are now in strike action with them.

That aside I have a growing amount of health issues with stomach problem that has never been diagnosed since March and in the last month back and hip pain.

Still Strictly will cheer me up.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi good to see you all... Well I quite enjoyed the calmest from the original lock down. People actually smiled at each other and said hello and apologised for crossing the road to avoid you. Less cars on the road it just felt safe.

It's been a roller coaster ride re heath problems for my family. Dad lost so much weight and Cancer not eased at all. Pallative Nurse now involved after complaint put in by myself. 87 year old mom in law dementia over last 7 months really gone downhill. Clubs,groups cancelled and trying to get her or any of her lunch group friends to wear a mask pale
As she isn't moving much her hip giving her pain and limping around, X-Ray booked for 17th.
I've had the thrill of my right Archilles Tendon throwing a hissy fit so had a walking boot ( weird no walking allowed for 4 weeks!) Had 4 weeks without now and still no promised sound wave machine. I really hope it's not operated by The Dire SCD Musicality Director What a Face now that would be a punishment treatment.
We have just had negative Covid test results, Asthma and chest infection I knew it would be.
Poor hubby been at work with Ambo shifts the whole time and has this week off and poor
y.
We gave up holidays after a trip to Wales and turned up on site at Clarach Bay to be presented with Del Boys and Father Teds offspring of a Caravan for 5 days. No way so we drove all the way back.

Grandson started School September Very Happy and on Monday his class sent home as a positive Covid case in their twin next door class Shocked . We cannot help childmind either.

On a very weird note for myself as I'm a never-before-December-1st Christmas mention, I've brought most of my Crimbo presents. Most sourced locally in a new online Virtual Crafters Market.
Brought new outdoor lights, Christmas Cards,Christmas Pudding Kit. Today I brought Christmas Crackers, Christmas Tags, Christmas paper chains for Grandson to do.
The Turkey ordered a week ago and I was number 60! Arrow cyclops
Not sure what has sparked all of this or has time propelled me to the 1st of December already!!

Plus lock down and eat out to help out has really took a bash on my weighing scales at home! I've put on llb's.. trying now to stop runaway train.

Well that's me up to date mmm now what's next to buy ooh Easter confused
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

2020 Member's News Empty Re: 2020 Members News

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Hi Sax

It is so nice to see you back on the forum. You've certainly had a tough time - I think Strictly is giving us all a much needed bit of escapism this year - I'm quite enjoying the pared down version of the show and the fact that there are less contestants. Like you I've always resolutely refused to buy anything Christmassy until the 1st December but I found myself suddenly buying all my Christmas Cards last weekend before the lockdown started - I was tempted to buy some Christmas table ware in the supermarket today, but had a word with myself and desisted.............................. Rolling Eyes

mauveangel09

saxonsiren likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:12 pm

So sorry to hear about all the health issues you've had to contend with Sax, not just yourself, but also your nearest and dearest. I think this year has been so harsh for so many people.

I laughed (though I shouldnt!) when you siad you turned back form your Welsh holiday because of the Del boys and Father Ted offspring! I do know what you mean because, living in theLake District we got hoards of cars and day trippers - far more entering the National Park than a normal Bank Holiday - as soon as they said that people could travel for exercise. They parked on anrow, twisty roads, blocking the way and causing huge traffic jams and tailbacks. People who wouldn't normally come to the Lakes were coming and behaving as if it was Benidorm (which is not to excuse that type of behaviour in Benidorm or anywhere else.) Once everything opened up in July is was insanely busy. And has been every since. The last few days before lockdown we had to turn people away as we were fully booked - a large number of them from what were then designated Tier 3 areas Sad . As staff, we felt quite endangered to be honest. Anyway, that is a very longwinded way of saying that I have become very familiar with the type of person you describe so well in Wales.

As for Christmas... I always buy my Christmas cards in January in the sale. Last year I managed to get 2/3rds of them written before I started back at work after the winter lull. I thought I would do them in the first lockdown in April/May - but I never did. And I am even less inclined to do them now... I find I deal with lockdown very well if I look upon as pure hibernation and have no expectations to do anything at all. As you can guess, I wasn't one of those who learnt four languages, baked all mannerof patisserie before breakfast, trained to run a marathon or crafted enough stuff to open a shop... In fact, though I usually do a lot of crafty things in the winter all the way until about May, I did absolutely none of them in lockdown. But then felt the urge to start again when I went back to work! Now we are back in lockdown... nope. The urge has gone.

So Christmas will be the usual last minute rush job. Which in some way is comfortingly normal in this very strange world we are currently living in.

I do hope you get some relief for your achilles and that the sound wave machine will provide traditional music rather than a Taylor Swift tune applied to a Paso!

Really lovely to see you back - hope you are enjoying this series of Strictly Very Happy Take care xx
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:35 pm

Oh Diamonds you should have seen this Hybrid child "Van". We had booked a Silver plus Caravan showing all mod cons etc. Well you know when you go through a Caravan site and you can see the one true eyesore sticking out and on an awful plot? Yup we swung our car around the little road and I spotted it and exclaimed " please let not that be ours!" Quick glance for Caravan Number and No No Bingo we had won said Caravan!
It looked 30 years old and of a lovely Faecal Shade and so lovely to find the inside decor matched too! How considerate to think I'd need reminding, have I packed Toilet Rolls? when glancing at the walls.
Beds unmade and sheets etc in plastic zipper. Pillows yellow stained and recall that yellow foam cube stuffed pillows in 70's? Yup could see all the clumps. affraid
The kitchen well mmm the tiniest Fridge with old fashioned ice-box in a space meant for a Tall Fridge.
Cutlery drawer minging to say the least and not Silver standard .
Lounge area the old solid blocks with very thin foam on.
Outside barely room to park car without swinging caravan door into side of car. Plots advertised as room to sit out with table & chairs. We had been advised bring our own as not provided. Our 2 fold up chairs and wooden fold up coffee table never came out the boot.

We locked up and went back to the Reception with a forced smile Very Happy and a polite " I think we have had the wrong keys? We have a Silver Standard plus booked and think we have keys for economy Caravan?
The lovely lady beamed oh that's one of our a silver plus Caravans been booked out all Summer too! I wondered by who exactly?
I advised sorry but not accepting this and could we be relocated as no room for the Car or sitting outside. I would pay for The Gold standard ( possibly not Faecal colourant room to swing a Cat). Site full
as Sunny week forecast.
Said go for walk and ill speak to the manager. We headed to the Beach with the pooch who was as hot as us. Site had shown lots of photo's of Dogs on Beach by Caravans. We head over and spot sign,
NO DOGS ALLOWED. No dates advising when they could go on?
We went to get a cold drink at a bar and water for the dog. We then noticed the Clientell mmm I wondered where Madge from Benidorm relatives might go in the UK ! Hurrah
we found it! Thou many seemed very overweight and tucking into huge ice cream cones. Lots of dogs with owners. I went over and asked a couple where did they walk the dogs? They just pointed to where we had been. I advised No Dogs sign. Oh it's alright no one takes any notice we all go.

I sauntered over the hill to check and yes many dogs on the Beach. By now I'd had enough it was 5pm and we had spent the whole day out with packed car since 9am. Beautiful stop at Red Kite Centre and walk too.

Manager advised us when we saw him Caravan deemed as a Silver Standard as had had single glazed windows changed to Double Glazing units! cyclops
I just said in a very pleasant voice it wasn't my idea of a Modern Silver Standard Plus and looked nothing like the publicity shots. The economy range even looked smarter! He just went quite purple looked at his feet mumbled we are full.
We thanked him for his time and advised I'd rather turn round and go home thank you. I was quite polite as no need to shout. I'd already heard 2 couples rowing with reception as we waited for our keys earlier.
We gave keys over and walked away. He did then say he would ring us later?
Home at 10pm after wandering round Aberystwyth looking for something to eat.
We did spot Michael Portico filming his train programme! We had fabulous fish n c
Chips in outside Cafe.

Luckily we were refunded all of our money and advised next time we come we would get a discount and a better plot! We have resisted.

So our holiday #4th attempt a damp squib.

Wish I'd taken photos of Caravan ☺

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

diamondsandpearls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:51 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote: I find I deal with lockdown very well if I look upon as pure hibernation and have no expectations to do anything at all.  As you can guess, I wasn't one of those who learnt four languages, baked all mannerof patisserie before breakfast, trained to run a marathon or crafted enough stuff to open a shop...
That'll be me diamonds. I re-started learning some Greek. I am probably up to a 3 year old's standard 'I have a dog' etc BUT I learned very quickly to say 'one bottle of white wine please' so I think I just edge the 3 year old. I also revisited my Tai Chi, meditation and dug out my family tree project. I like cooking and unfortunately lockdown has shrunk my clothes a bit (can't be the cooking!). I'm enjoying my walks with our latest rescue dog, so for me, I've enjoyed drawing up the drawbridge with the perfect excuse not to go to functions and parties that would usually be expected of me
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:58 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Oh Diamonds you should have seen this Hybrid child "Van". We had booked a Silver plus Caravan showing all mod cons etc. Well you know when you go through a Caravan site and you can see the one true eyesore sticking out and on an awful plot? Yup we  swung our car around the little road and I spotted it and exclaimed " please let not that be ours!" Quick glance for Caravan Number and  No  No  Bingo we had won said Caravan!
It looked 30 years old and of a lovely  Faecal Shade and so lovely to find the inside decor matched too! How considerate to think I'd need reminding, have I packed Toilet Rolls? when glancing at the walls.

Oh Sax - you paint SUCH a vivid picture! It's a hilarious account of a horrific experience. I feel so sad you didn't get your hoilday - but I think most people would have done what you did in that situation.

Where was the Red Kite centre you visited? Ihave definitely been to one in Scotlans, but have a hazy feeling that I might also have been to one in Wales. Just wondered if it might be the one you went to.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:04 pm

B4p wrote:
That'll be me diamonds. I re-started learning some Greek. I am probably up to a 3 year old's standard 'I have a dog' etc BUT I learned very quickly to say 'one bottle of white wine please' so I think I just edge the 3 year old. I also revisited my Tai Chi, meditation and dug out my family tree project. I like cooking and unfortunately lockdown has shrunk my clothes a bit (can't be the cooking!). I'm enjoying my walks with our latest rescue dog, so for me, I've enjoyed drawing up the drawbridge with the perfect excuse not to go to functions and parties that would usually be expected of me

I'm very impressed B4p. Such a shame about your clothes - I had the same thing happen to me by the end of lockdown... (Strangely they have all reverted back to their former size, once I had been back at work for a couple of months and once I had started running again...).

I have got to so many frustrating brink walls with various branches of my family tree that I am in a snit and have gone on strike. But it's a fascinatig thing to do, isnt it? Have you found any interesting skeletons in your family closet?

Although I am an uber-sociable person, working the shifts I do means I don't have parties and functions to go to (If only - I would LOVE the chance to get dressed up!) So pulling up the drawbridge for me means... doing absolutely bloomin' nothing!

And what sort of doggie is your new friend? And how old? It must be nice to have someone to go for walks with!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:40 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:And what sort of doggie is your new friend?  And how old? It must be nice to have someone to go for walks with!
A collie crossed with a hound of some sort that we think is almost 4 years old. She was terrified of men wearing glasses, or anyone carrying a walking stick when she arrived, but she's settled in well now.

I kept trawling our local dog homes, but there was nothing suitable for a variety of reasons, so I decided to rescue a dog from Romania. They have a catch and kill policy there. Once caught, the dogs have roughly 7-10 days before they're dispatched (not humanely). There's a charity that has built a small private shelter across town from the public one. Once a week the staff from the private shelter go across to the public shelter and rescue around 6 dogs. The locals have also started to bring other abandoned dogs to the private shelter, and some of the local farmers have recently started to bring their farm dogs in to be spayed. The private shelter also raise funds (from UK well wishers) to take dogs injured in road incidents to a good vet in Bucharest. They're currently raising money to buy another piece of land to build new shelters for the golden oldie dogs that are unlikely to be re-homed and puppies.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:52 am

Its horrible to hear Dogs are not valued Pets and if abandoned just given 7 days & not even given a dignified PTS injection Sad Sad
Our neighbours had a rescue dog from Iran however after 2 weeks Dog was collected by the Charity. It kept biting and afraid in corner.
We did hear after a month of being with a Trainer he was rehomed to a non child home in the Country.
Happy outcome.
Hope B4p your latest Rescue gives you many wonderful days together.
So many Kittens, Cats,Puppies,Dogs I fear after Crimbo be dumped due to financial pressures and people had a Dog for locldown only and this Puppy grew up.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:02 am

last Fri 6th had Covid Test Negative.Sun night hubby feels hot & shakey.
Tues I start to feel hot & achey. High Temp 38.9 just didn't come down.
Been so hot, drained, sleeping a lot.
Friday 13th went for Test as adv by GP re High Temp
Saturday 7am Text Positive Result!
High Temp easing, hacking cough thou and lost sense of smell, both of us have.
Hubby isolating 14 days .Its a very up and down illness and knocking my breathing about re my Asthma.
Not even contemplating Hospital. If gets worse Ill do 111 covid line.
Stay safe everyone. A negative Test & few days later , Temp or loss smell/taste, cough do get retested
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

2020 Member's News Empty Re: 2020 Members News

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi Sax

So sorry to hear your news. It just shows doesn't it? Thank goodness you went for the second test. Yes I've heard from two colleagues at work who succumbed that it is certainly a very up and down illness. Although everyone seems to present with slightly different symptoms, the loss of smell/taste seems a common denominator.

Keep safe Sax - and keep us updated.

Sending you lots of hugs and best wishes xxxxx flower flower flower

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:00 pm

pale pale pale
Oh my goodness Sax, you poor things. That's the very last thing either of you need, I'm keeping everything crossed for a speedy recovery for you both. I'm glad to hear your high temperature is easing, that's a good sign surely. Let us know how you're progressing, it's such a strange unpredictable illness isn't it.

Get well soon  flower
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Today I think Ive got Half lock Jaw as opening mouth wide to eat. We both have lost our sense of smell . Other Half thankfully grew tired of spraying Oust and trying to sniff air.
I sucessfully with Steam Mop did Kitchen Floor and afterwards coughing as if smoked 40 fags a day.
Poor Dog looks at us as we say exercise in garden. He thinks his done something wrong without a walk. Home made Chicken Soup from Freezer came in useful last 2 days.
We shop for mom in law, 87 reg as Blind & not seen her since 6th. Registered her with NHS Responders who called her last Sunday, she nicely advised didn't need anything. We rang them yesterday again as no shopping etc been done. Main num a very bored man advised "Usually anniversary week date triggers a call?" pale

So I used the Covid Text help info app and found Morrisons phone number for home delivery for Vulnerable/Elderly .
Trouble is she has to pay at door with a card. She is registered as Blind and has dementia problems.
After a 20 minute call to her managed explain need to pay and a sort of list.
Rang back waited 8 minutes and lovely Lady went through list with me. Bless her as I kept having coughing fits and with heavy, wheezy breathing sounded like a pervy call! She did say " You do qualify for this service yourself as isolating re Covid Positive. I wanted to reach in phone and hug her.
Shopping for anytime 10 - 6 tomorrow and Driver aware of sight issues.
I know in between we will be called many times today & tomorrow by m in law to check how to pay, whats happening?
Dementia on both sides re my Dad and Mom in law its frustrating for all. The lockdown from March really had huge impact on m in law.

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Thinking of you and yours sax. Please take things as easy as you can. You need your strength to recover. Here's hoping you'll turn a corner real soon flower
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:11 pm

Just an update, I went to a Covid Asessment Unit Monday. I never knew they existed. Id used 111 online as things not improving. They rang my dr who rang me within 15 minutes! Appointment go see Dr at CAU. You give car reg, luckily as medical hubby could leave Prison aka Home to take me.
They assess you first in car, pulse,temp,sats. You see a Dr whos all gowned up.They assess you being Green, Amber or Red. I highlighted Red
They decided to put me on The Covid home monitoring programme. You are invited to download an app. You are givem a digital Pulse/Oxygen finger Unit and Digital temperature reader. 9.45 am and 5:45 pm you take your readings. Its pinged on your app within seconds. You also fill in a Covid questionaire each morning. If your readings are low you are messaged to re do obs again in 2 hrs.
You also get a daily call from The Covid Dr. It seems to work like clockwork and I think a lot better than being in hospital. If they feel you need to go then you are sent. It stops hubby and both moms worrying too much as having daily contact with Drs.
Today first day stayed awake all day! Im off to bed now as tired out.
Stay warm, Stay safe
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

diamondsandpearls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Wow Sax - that's super high tech. And as you say, both reassuring to friends and family (and presumably yourself) and much better than being carted off to hospital.

I hope you have a good sleep and are feeling a bit improved tomorrow xx
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:33 pm

flower Stay safe sax flower
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  MissingLilia Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Hello folks
Missing Lilia reporting, albeit late into the series.
Sorry I've been missing for so long, life and technology got in the way!
By the wonder of a Strictly Exiles e mail unexpectedly appearing in my inbox today, I can re-connect.
Great to see so many 'old faces' on here... and great to see you haven't lost your passion for all things Strictly.
It's been a real sanity saviour this year.. more so than any other year, I think.
Ive already spent a pleasant 40 minutes dotting about the site and reading your posts.. brilliant!
I may not be the most prolific poster but I am looking forward to coming out of exile, to re-join the Exiles.
Greetings to you all! 💃🕺I love you
MissingLilia
MissingLilia

TANGOLERO, saxonsiren and CaledonianCraig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:57 pm

Hey Lilia. Come on over to the Main Show thread. So glad to hear from you again. Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

MissingLilia and CaledonianCraig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:11 pm

cheers cheers cheers
Fabulous to have you back Missinglil, please do stay around, even if you only have time for an occasional post. Our forum family has shrunk somewhat over the past ten years, but it's still a lovely friendly place to be.
jingle
jingle

MissingLilia and CaledonianCraig like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MissingLilia Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:34 pm

Will do, Jingle.
My eyesight isn't too good so my typing may be erratic at times but Im sure you'll get the gist of it.
I was so pleased, if surprised, to see so many familiar names still on the forum.
I still love Strictly and It Takes Two..the highlight of my year to be honest.
Getting the e mail today with the newsletter brightened my day!
'See' you soon!
Enjoy the Show tomorrow 😘
MissingLilia
MissingLilia

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:26 pm

cheers Welcome back Lil cheers

Great to hear from you again. Looking forward to reading your posts
B4p
B4p

CaledonianCraig likes this post