Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 Launch Show

5 posters

Go down

2021 Launch Show Empty 2021 Launch Show

Post  B4p Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:20 pm

Well I just checked the main BBC site and as usual it hasn't been updated. I thought they might have had a countdown week leading up to launch night. The Pro dancer section hasn't been updated either.

This is the first year that I hadn't been aware that Strictly launches tomorrow. In fact if I hadn't bought a TV guide, I'd have probably missed it altogether. Is it me or has there been a lack of Strictly adverts on TV?

Still looking forward to the launch tomorrow and to see the class of 2021

Last edited by B4p on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2021 Launch Show Empty Re: 2021 Launch Show

Post  B4p Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:43 pm

I loved the opening pro dancer sequence with the night city sky line. Very moody and atmospheric.

Lots of strong characters and big egos this year. They look like they have gelled well as a group, and most seemed to have some rhythm and timing.  I'm guessing they've all had a few weeks practising together for the group dance which looked a lot more polished than usual. Poor Tilly looked terrified. It will be strange for them to now split into their pairs to different geographical rehearsal spaces.

A mixture of first dances: Samba, Tango, Waltz, Cha-Cha, Jive, American Smooth. Maybe it's tactical to get one of the hard dances out of the way on week 1. I laughed when several pros said that they'd be training for 12 hours a day and one of the women reckoned they were going to fit in their training around going to Uni lectures. I can't imagine Amy on a McFly tour bus either!

I love that Gio has Rose as a partner. It will be interesting to see his choreography and how his sign language skills grow.

I'm excited to see what choreography Johannes comes up with for John. I hope we see something innovative. I found Katya's same sex partnership with Nicole last year a bit of a vanilla non-event.

The four new pro dancers look interesting. Kai has been in the background for a few seasons, Nikita looked elegant. Cameron looks quite short and only slightly taller than the new female pro Jowita who reminded me of a dancer on top of an old fashioned music box.  For me, Cameron in the short pro dancer clip, (and when he and the Jowita were dancing to the singer), looked more like having a Street/Commercial background rather than the usual ballroom/latin pedigree. All the new pros were at the back in the opening sequence so it wasn't so easy to watch them.

I wonder if Shirley is going to lay down the law regarding lifts this year, or is that now a thing of the past and anything goes?
B4p
B4p

saxonsiren likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:57 am

Im waiting for the second dances before pinnong my Darkhorse and Potential Winning pair choices.
Lifts I wonder if they will decide to phase out or set 1 lift only rule? I used to love the lifts and held my breath re the male celebs attempting them.
I hope we get this year a Couples Choice week theme to mix it up & to be an even contest. I disliked the one couple a week performing couples choice against a Jive, Tango Waltz, Charleston.
I would also hope and its a big ask! We have had a new Music Director and better choices made to match the temp & style of the dances and not the Crash bang wallop lets have this song/theme instead.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi Sax
Robert Webb's doing a Cha-Cha to Rasputin apparently, and Judi has Aretha Franklin for an American Smooth. I'm guessing somebody will think of dressing Tom Fletcher up as Austin Powers for Film Night. No doubt they'll be corny cooking related songs for Tilly!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:14 am

Well hello everybody! Lovely to be here and see you all again. As you can tell, I'm at the stage of the series where I am all chirpy and bouncy and not all grumpy (just wait until Halloween week though).

Obviously, because the launch show was on last night (without fanfare or announcement) it was the one Saturday in about three years (yep, even pre-covid) that I had social engagements. Two in fact. I would tell you all about them but sadly there was no dancing involved and so they are totally off topic. Fun though.

Anyway, that meant that I had to catch up today. Which I did.

The opening number was camptastic disco with Tess on a white pony and Clauds on a glitter-spewing silver canon. What's not to like?

Tess looked sensational in white (I KNOW! 'Tess' and 'sensational' in the same sentence - what's going on?) and Clauds looked unobjectionable in some black net curtain arrangement.

The 'introducing the new pros' segment had a great tango-y routine and we discovered that Jowita has been drafted in to be the ragdoll/half dead mouse to be thrown endlessly in the air by the other pros (because she's small apparently) now that Janette has retired to swab her bruises with arnica in the safety of the ITT studio. (I trust Jowita knew this before she applied for the job.)

It's such early days yet and I can't tell from one group dance who is groovy and who is gravy (even though thousands of other people seem to be able to and strong opinions are abounding).

Having said that, I have some strong non-dance opinions, with the strongest being that I have taken agin Adam and Kai. No reason. Agins are irrational. And totally reversible without prior notice.

John and Johannes seem a solid partnership - much more genuine rapport and chemistry than Nicola and Katya which all seemed so forced and insincere - instagram-y.  From what I could tell John seems to have some rhythm and potential. I too am hoping for some interesting choreo from Johannes.

Rose is very elegant and... dainty. Lovely arms and hands. Giovanni is pretty much the best teacher they have and he is great at being sympatico with his partner. The fact he is making an effort to learn sign language is an encouraging start. I think he is relishing the challenges involved and is going to give it his all and get the very best out Rose. I have high hopes.

Rhys is this year's ringer, and as you know, I love a ringer to keep me entertained whilst the others work through the weeks to catch up. I think he and Nancy might end up driving me nuts by week four with their hyper activity but I think there'll be some decent dancing.

Amy still has a touch of the flu she had in 2019 (it's probably long covid, isn't it?) and I fear she may burn out with the excitement and late nights of going on tour with McFly.

I have discovered I have an inexplicable crush on Dan Walker which was not dissipated by his Dad dancing in the group dance, as I'd hoped. Please send for urgent help.

Willoughby, by his own admission isn't as pretty as he was then, and I'm not sure about him. He may well end up an agin as he is partnered with Karen, who is sn eternal agin (along with Katya).

Nina and AJ both have lovely legs and I am.very afor Nina (biding my time before I decide about AJ)

Ramsey Lite seems a chip.off her mother's block and thus quite sweet. She's big on CBeebies apparently, so the kids will live her. Nikita's floppy fringe and 'I'm a bit cheeky' shtick is wearing very thin already though. Not sure about him...

Everyone else... we'll see.

So happy it's back and glad to be with you lot once again :-)

*I typed this with one finger on my phone. I believe my Damehood is awaiting me for my endeavours.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 pm

Well summed up diamonds and welcome back! cheers

I 'm also a one fingered typist on a phone, so I feel your pain Razz
I see the Red Tops are already stirring the dregs for headlines. I'm looking forward now to hearing what the fulll music and dance list is for week 1.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:47 pm

I was away last weekend so caught the launch show yesterday. Great to have Strictly back. cheers

As the couples are united and you see them on the dance floor at the first time it is only natural to assess chances and assess the dance abilities they already have. Also I can't help thinking of how the producers, choreographers and pros etc will try to portray the celebs.

For obvious reason Adam Peaty will no doubt have the bare chest outfits more time than not.

Dan Walker, I feel, will be more conservatively dressed and I can see him doing well in ballroom but may struggle in Latin.

Katie McGlynn with Gorka is a partnership I can see going pretty far. Robert Webb seems really nutty and may do a great Charleston and is another who will certainly be with us a few weeks.

Rhys Stephenson is that resident ringer that always shows up every year. Seems a decent bloke but the head start he has pits me against him just for the unfairness.

Sara Davies with Alijaz is an interesting couple. I could see myself warming to them.

Rose Ayling Ellis seems very game and it will be interesting to see how she copes considering her being deaf. Giovanni is just right for her. Another team I could come to be supportive of.

AJ Odudu's enthusiasm is infectious and she seems raring to go. A blank canvas for Kai Widdrington to work with. I could see myself wanting them to do well.

Greg Wise and Karen Hauer are something of a meh couple for me but that could change.

Judi Love and Graziano. Not sure what to make of this pairing. Again she seems very enthusiastic but she may be set for a struggle to avoid an early exit.

John Whaite and Johannes. First up I am not a fan of same sex couples but this seems a better match up compared to last year's. John looks like he has good rhythm and they could go far.

Nina Wadia and Neil Jones is an interesting couple. She seems like she has some talent locked away but can Neil unlock it?

Tom Fletcher and Amy Dowden. Tom strikes me as a bit of a rough diamond. Seems a little rough around the edges as dancers go at present but after a few weeks I could see him begin to sparkle.

Tilly Ramsay and Nikita Kuzmin are unknown quantities. A bit of a sink or swim partnership as in she may struggle from the get go or may turn out to be a dark horse.

Ugo Monje and Oti Mabuse. This is where Oti's winning streak comes to an end for me. Ugo may face an early struggle to survive.

Now of course we all know popularity pulls many votes to sway results. In the popularity stakes I think the winners are Dan Walker, Adam Peaty, Katie McGlynn, Tom Fletcher, Robert Webb, John Whaite and Rose Atling-Ellis. I think weakest in the popularity stakes may be Sara Davies, A J Odudu, Tilly Ramsay and Ugo Monje.

Can't wait for them to have their first dances. At present I will be rooting for Dan Walker, Adam Peaty, Katie McGlynn and perhaps Rose Ayling-Ellis. I am not really strongly against anyone but I am sure that will change.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:09 pm

Pick a winner from that Phoenix Nights Social Club meet and greet? I wouldn't dare. How many of them know the Love theme from Romeo and Juliet from At the Copa Cabana via Barry Manilow..? lol!

I could be very wrong mind.. Shocked ...
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum