Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN)

5 posters

Go down

Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN) Empty Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:28 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas Strictly and I'd say it works better than having new celebs on who are then given an advantage when given a slot in the main show further down the line.

It was great to see that Colin Jackson clearly hasn't lost his touch. I loved his use of his arms and hands in his Rumba and the fluent movement of his hips. Personally, I think he should have won. The eventual winner Katie Derham had the 'easier to impress with' dance. Sure she was great but I just feel Colin is the better all-round dancer. Judy Murray's Charleston was good - it was a dance that really suited her and covered up other areas where she lacks and likewise for Robbie Savage's American Smooth. Thoroughly enjoyed Kimberley and Pasha's Jive although at times it lacked real pace and bite. Jeremy did as well as he could but again you could see he has his limitations as a dancer.

I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed The Kaiser Chiefs rendition of 'Merry Christmas Everyone' and An.ton and Oti's accompanying dance.

Finally, it was really nice to see Claudia given an attractive ballgown to wear instead of the usual boyish outfits she seems to be given. Lovely blue number for Tess as well.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN) Empty Re: Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Post  jingle Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:49 pm

I enjoyed it too CC, especially the comedy parts like CRH changing his score from 2 to 7, and the judges pretending to play in the band at the end.  Some lovely costumes too, although I think make-up went slightly overboard with the facial glitter (esp Jeremy Vine and Brendan What a Face ). It was nice to see some of the former contestants back, despite having to re-live a Robbie Savage knee slide.

I too felt Colin marginally should have edged it with his rumba technique, although Katie's dance was visually the more attractive. I thought Kimberly's jive looked a bit laboured, didn't really agree with the high scores for her. Though in any event I never mind who wins, only ever watch the xmas special as entertaining 'fluff'.  It always reinforces to me how important it is for the real Strictly to be live and not pre-recorded.

It was nice to see this year's contestants in the audience, though I couldn't help wondering how many weeks ago this was filmed, as it would've reduced their training time for the real show. I wonder if they were spared from having to do external VT filming that week to make up for lost time.

Yes, agree it was nice to see Claudia in the ballgown - I also liked T.ess's blue dress with the costume jewels.  Poor Pasha drew the short straw yet again, having to wear the reindeer outfit...it feels like he's always having to  dress up as an animal or a cartoon character.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN) Empty Re: Strictly Christmas Special 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:44 pm

I thought it was a great Christmas Show this year - the best for awhile - I've actually just watched it for a second time as my Mum feel asleep during the show last night, so I didn't need much of an excuse to switch it on again!!! I agree that it is really good to get ex-contestants back and also gives the 'early exit' pros a bit of a chance to shine and show what they made of (in the case of the new pros). On that note - when are they going to give Neil a partner in the main show??? He really deserves it.

I also thought that never a truer word could be said of the saying 'You've either got it or you haven't' and boy has Colin Jackson still got it!!!! For me, that rumba was superb in every way and much better than any of them seen on this year's show in my book. I was happy that Colin was going to be in the show and he didn't disappoint in any way - I think if he had recreated his quickstep then he quite possibly would have walked off with the trophy. To me he is one of the best male celeb dancers ever and one of the best dancers never to have actually won anything (including the Xmas Special now! Crying or Very sad )

However, I didn't begrudge Katie and B rendan their victory in any way at all - what a beautiful and classic Viennese Waltz, I had forgotten what a good ballroom dancer she is/was - that place in the final with A nton was well deserved despite constant criticisms from certain judges during the contest. I loved last night's routine, and loved Brendans white tails and Katie's dress - she certainly drew the best dress of the night for me - lovely!! I must say I felt a bit sorry for A nton seeing two of his ex partners on the floor and having to see Katie lift a trophy with someone else!!!! Smile Smile Still, at least he had a showcase dance, rushing around the floor at 100 miles per hour with Oti during what was a great turn from the Kaiser Chiefs!

I too was wondering when they filmed the show? I thought that the main show contestants in the audience looked quite subdued and tired..........................be interested to know when they actually film the Xmas special??

I enjoyed all the routines, personally I thought that Robbie Savage was worth one more point than Judy and Jeremy - because he coped with a real liftathon and I thought his posture was good, but there you go. Thought that Kimberley and P asha's routine was a bit laboured but loved the concept and music.

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed everything about the show - make-up, hair and costumes did very well, loved both T ess and C laude's dresses along those of D arcey and Shirley. Loved the group dances, the hundreds of illegal lifts (that didn't bother me!!!) and even the VT fillers, which for once were worth watching!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

So all that remains is for me to hope that you all had a great Christmas Day and that you are enjoying Boxing Day and the rest of the Christmas Hols.............................Wishing you all a healthy and Happy New Year santa santa santa sunny sunny

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN) Empty Re: Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Enjoyed the show in the light-hearted spirit it was meant. A real Christmas atmosphere and some very decent dancing. No real competition edge and any one of them could have won it. Have to disagree entirely about Colin's rumba. It was like he was playing statues, all his moves put in place and posed, and he might as well not have had a partner for all the romance he injected. His arms and hands didn't even resemble natural and looked more like a pantomime fairy than a lovestruck romancer. I just knew C raig would like that, but it was not very good to me. Colin is a talented dancer and picks things up very quickly. In ballroom he excels, in this, quite frankly, he didn't. Sorry folks, but it's as we see it. Embarassed

Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:02 am

Hi everyone! Bit late to the party (so what's new...?!) but now that I have finished driving the length and breadth of the country (Cumbria to Norfolk then to Kent, and back again...) I have a chance to catch my breath and catch up with you all...

I agree with Tango about Colin Jackson. He is probably the best dancer of all of them, but a Rumba is a nightmare dance and it had no place in a Christmas Special in the first place, and it has to be a nice one, with chemistry (not sexual chemistry, but just chemistry) to pull one off, in the second place. There was no chemistry between Colin and Amy, despite the Welsh bond. I noticed his hands - they just looked awkward, despite the fact he was fully extending and reaching wiht his arms into the movement. And yes, he moved his hips, but it still somehow all looked very static and not at all fluid. I was SO dispppointed. I would have loved a Foxtrot (to show everyone how it is done - we've not had a good Foxtrot for a long time now) or a QS. Others can do a Waltz justice, so he had no need to bother with that.

The other person who disappointed me was Kimberley. She was my tip to win - and I wanted her or Colin to win. But her jive - which is definitely usually her kind of dance - just never really got off the ground. Literally. She was hardly picking her knees up. I know it has been a few years and she has had two children since then so her cardio and aerobic levels may have needed some boosting, but then why pick such an energetic dance? For a Christmas Special you need to play to each dancer's strengths so that it is a real pleasure for the viewer to watch and enjoy. If Kimberly hadn't recovered her fitness levels then a less energetic dance should have been chosen for her. Again, SO disappointed. Also, stupid reindeer theme...

Judy Murray was a revealation... Or at least, Neil's teaching of her was. Her Charleston, was as I think C.raig said, her best dancing ever. Most of the people who come back for the Christmas Special, after a couple of years away, are rusty, and the small amount of rehearsal time isn;t really enough to get them back up to where they were (see Colin and Kimberley). Judy is the only person who has improved. Which just goes to prove my arguement that Housewives choice is not the best of teachers. He never managed to get a swivel out of Judy (mind you, seeing his Pro Challenge this year, it is clear it is not something he is a master of himself...), whilst Neil has a short partnership with her and works wonders.

I shall pass over Jeremy and Robbie...

And so to Katie, who gave easily the most pleasing dance of the night. Everything came together in a the perfect harmony of music, dance and dress (oh yes, she scored a big fat 10 from myself, my mum and my cousin for that dress). It was a proper Christmas fairytale, and apart from the grey hair they gave her, it was just what you wanted from a Christmas Special. And that, of course, is why she won.

My cousin and I have decided that there should be three marks awarded: Technical ability, performance and dress, as they are all equally important for the viewer's enjoymnent. When we rule the world people, when we rule the world.....

Well, that's it! The mince pies are finished (though I can get some more from the Co-op, obvs), the mulled wine has been mulled over, the Christmas turkey is now soup and the tree is middle aged already and going bald... We can all hang up our judges hats, our dancing shoes and our spangly costumes for another year... Next, it is Year (one of the things I am deeply allergic to) and for some of you Dancing on Ice. I might pop in from time to time to the tartan lounge to see what you are doing. In the meantime, enjoy the snow (if you can and it's not curtailing your daily life or plans) and....

Keeeeeeep Dancing!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN) Empty Re: Christmas Special 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:23 am

Gosh we are out of kilter on this one.................. Very Happy Very Happy What I look for in a rumba is the technique - it doesn't matter about romance (those are often the worst ones!) for me it's about mastering rumba walks which he did aplenty and all the other recognisable steps that make up the slow cha cha rumba - I think it genuinely is the most difficult dance for the male celebs and they rarely get anywhere near a recognisable version of it (certainly in this series just gone) which his one definitely was for me. He was caressing the floor with his feet and for me the arms and hands were lovely - I also loved the partnership with Amy. I was pleased that a rumba was included (a bit of break from the usual schmaltz) and fair play to him for agreeing to tackle a bit more a challenging dance...........................as for Judy - well I think the judges were being kind in saying that it was the best she had ever danced!!! Whilst I enjoyed Neil and also enjoyed the fun and the choreography of the routine, apart from the swivel which she had mastered, the rest of it for me was as flat as a pancake and extremely rusty..................She easily tied with Jeremy as the weakest dance for me.

At least we are all agreed on the superior performance of Katie and B rendan (who was of course originally taught this dance by A nton Wink Wink )

See you all over on the Dancing on Ice thread for more joshing and great exchanges of views.................. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:40 am

No, I'm with you on the rumba Mauve, I preferred it to Katie's dance, though only fractionally. I thought both Katie and Colin were head and shoulders above the others.

Colin (and also Ricky Whittle) are both top of my 'wuzrobbed' list, so maybe subliminally I also wanted a Christmas bauble win for Colin.

I'd really like to see Neil, and also Chloe, as pros next year.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Christmas Strictly 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN) Empty Re: Christmas Special 2018 (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:53 am

'wuzrobbed' lol! Yes indeed!

Agree about Neil and Chloe - I thought that Chloe was more in the background this year than last.

Jingle - I noticed that you had mentioned over on another thread about having some ex F1 Drivers on SCD - yes I heartedly agree - we've never seen how this 'species' of sports people would translate to the SCD dance floor - it would be fascinating. Jenson Button first choice but you also mentioned Max and Paul Di Resta - both good choices - I also think Anthony Davidson would be hilarious but as a shorter person - heightwise - they might partner him with Janette, which would not please me....................... Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum