Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows

+6
diamondsandpearls
mauveangel09
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
Poppetlovestango
B4p
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows

Post  B4p Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Your opinion on each weeks high and low points. What tickled your fancy, or pickled your walnuts?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty Weekly Highs and Lows 2018

Post  Poppetlovestango Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi
Just wanted to say my highs for the first week were

Danny
Lauren
Graeme
Kate S

No lows  the rest were ok

Looking forward to ITT tonight. cheers
Poppetlovestango
Poppetlovestango

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty Week 1 Highs and Lows

Post  B4p Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 pm

I enjoyed hearing Darcy's vocabulary being increased. Less vapid and more critical.
I loved Jamie singing the Eagles number
I liked the men's outfits. Hopefully the've taken the job lot of jeans back to the warehouse.
Stunning ladies dresses
Claude was great at supporting in the clauditorium
T ess was tolerable so far.
The camaraderie between the judges
Graeme was a revelation and the energy from Joe

Dislikes
Shirley telling Seann to tidy himself up and moaning about his hair (has she seen Graziano?)
T ess drooling after Graziano (she's old enough to be his mother)
Susannah being turned into the comedy act on week 1
A couple of the 8 scores. What was that about for week 1?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty Re: SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:38 am

My highs:-

Kate's appearance. Okay there are a load of creases to iron out but the enthusiasm and excitement poured out of her. She seems to be loving it.

Graeme's standard was better than I expected and liked how he brought a smile to even C.raig's lips.

Joe's performance and energy.

Loved the opening number the theme from 'Top Cat'.

My lows:-

The usual - the ringers.

Shirley telling Seann to tidy himself up but drools over scruffy-haired pro-dancers.

The realisation that we do have a comedy act after all. Hopefully, it was a one week thing but I doubt it.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Nothing really on the low scene except all the music and over complex routines for the contestants for week 2 and introducing Tango and Paso so early. Oh, and the fabu-u-lus darling one giving a contestant however bad a couple of 1 marks. Apart from that...

So, as a high, a word of praise for the pros this week for their show opener. Whilst I'm not totally enamoured with all this male dancing with male stuff, as long as they don't start snogging to a missionary waltz or something I don't really care who does what, I mean it's nothing really new and has been in show for donkey's years, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, West Side Story etc, etc. Nor am I totally a fan of contemporary dance of the "Burn the floor" variety in a ballroom and Latin show in the main. No, it was the sheer professionalism of learning and carrying out a step perfect complex choreography so precisely. Quite staggeringly good. Well done the pros... cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty SCD 2018 weekly highs and lows

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:43 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Nothing really on the low scene except all the music and over complex routines for the contestants for week 2 and introducing Tango and Paso so early. Oh, and the fabu-u-lus darling one giving a contestant however bad a couple of 1 marks.  Apart from that...

I think you've summed up my views too - Mr T. I think there are so many contestants on the first couple of weeks and so many dances to get through that there is no much of chance of distinctive highs and lows. I definitely gave the music the thumbs up last night except for one track which was the music used for the paso. Graeme and Oti's dance was a low for me, not sure what happened there, Oti nearly always hits the mark.

Apart from the CRH marks I agreed with the 'get tough' marks of the judges - the contestants must have somewhere to go when it is only week 2 - I expect they will relax things with 'movie week' coming up. I also agree about the over complex routines - I think a lot of them did not do so well this weekend and the pros would be as well to realize this and focus on nailing some technique and trying to capture the spririt of the dance with their celebs rather than throwing in the kitchen sink in terms of content and over complicating things for their celebs. I think we might get some 'burn out' if some of them carry on at the pace they are doing at this moment.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:15 am

I enjoyed the show
Highs
I liked Amy’s Cha-Cha routine and how it challenged Danny
Tommy & Lance singing
Kate’s Tango attitude. She’s totally committed
Ashley’s Cha Cha but it was hard to tell who the pro was (I get it - both of them!)
I thought Lee gave it some welly despite his flat feet.
Shirley’s comment to Sean ‘I liked your hair’ was a brilliant end to his fiasco.
Lows
Susannah looked like she was having root canal work.
Katie Piper’s nerves making me nervous.
Sean’s car wreck of a routine
Kevin’s partner was lucky Susannah took the fall.
Janette’s predictable Salsa routines are starting to
bore me.
Disappointed with Oti’s stop-start ‘Smooth’ choreography.
I don’t mind the low scores but they seem at odds with the glowing comments especially Shirley doing a standing ovation.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:43 pm

HIGHS
Most of it really. It's too early for me to be anything but excited..Some lovely dresses (must visit the thread I started last year to discuss in more detail). Judges all on good form -the fabu-u-lus darling one balancing cutting cruelty with glimpses of his real jovial self. Haven't even got totally peed off yet with terrible music. Like I say, tis the honeymoon period.

LOWS
Some v good points above namely:
tango's referencing the fact that makes dancing with males is hardly groundbreaking. I didn't even specifically notice it from that aspect - Just saw a fabulously choreographed routine danced well. As tango said....

B4ps anxiety over Katie's anxiety. We are all feeling a little sick with sympathy nerves now...

His disappointment with Oti's very scratchy smooth. I usually love her choreography - not this time.

Jeanette's infernal salsa choreography. The only one who can really salsa out of the pros is gorka. Go and take lessons Jeanette. Or even Just watch YouTube... You'll see way better salsa choreography there than you've ever managed.

And along with pretty much everybody was eye rolling at Anto n wheeling out another comedy routine rather than just getting on a trying to actually teach a basic routine with some technique involved. I felt he deserves to go and Susannah should have for an opportunity with someone who actuallybtries to teach. She is not a natural. Nor is Sean. But he has managed more steps and technique than Susannah because he has much better, more bothered teacher in Katiya. Grrrr

Final low....

No Sid! I am bereft :-(
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Week 3 Highs and Lows

Highs
B.runo falling of his chair
The "at least I've still got my own hips" comment from B.runo to C.raig
Claud's "THIS ISN'T NORMAL!" as she's being showered with popcorn.
The Pros opening number.
Seann and Katya's Paso: Absolutely brilliantly conceived and executed. Dance of the night, and I suspect it will be one of the dances of this series remembered for several years to come.
Kate and Aljaz's Foxtrot: Smooth and steady. Kate is easily the sexiest of the female celebrities - and I'm not sure that she knows it.
Faye and Giovanni's Quickstep: breathtaking!
Ashley and Pasha's Salsa: As someone has already said, worthy of a Showdance.

Lows
Ashley and Pasha: Their salsa was irritatingly good far too soon in the competition. It's ruining any sense of competition.
Dr Ranj and Janette: boring
Charles and Karen: boring
Shirley's dress and hair
Claud and Tess showing that they're completely fed up with the really bad "scripted" jokes they're given (have the BBC really no one who can write comedy for a Saturday evening show) and delivering them in a utterly deadpan way. They're right about the jokes but surely there's a better way to up the standard. I know Tess isn't the greatest of Feeds, but even so...
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:26 am

Highs
Katya and Seann's Paso. Original innovative choreography from Katya, I've watched it a few times and it still draws me in. Obviously there's a lot of Katya, but as a concept and overall impression it worked, think this will be a classic, and as they say, it takes two..

Faye and Gio's quickstep, oh my that was fast and she didn't miss a beat. Loved the "Faaaaayyye" at the beginning, part of me wished it was "Debbbbeh" just to hear him say it!

Ashley and Pasha's salsa- leaving her aside, Pasha made a very passable Patrick Swayze.

Graeme and Oti's Charleston - he had swivel and kept in time with her throughout. I hope he continues to improve and not just because I've got him in the sweepstake at work. I like his strictly j-word so far

And a general high five to the production team- best movie night in ages, great songs and dances that for the most part worked, with great hair and makeup.

Lows
Lauren's outfit again- she's obviously finding it hard to let out her inner dancer and inhibitions- give her a hand with her outfits please
It's not really a low as such, but as others have said, where do you go with Ashley? I have a feeling that when it comes to the business end she won't lift the glitterball- you heard it hear folks!

By the by of nothing I would love to see Martine McCutcheon on the show, I bet they've tried.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:34 am

Highs

For once I loved Theme Week

Sean
Kate
Faye
Ashley
Graeme

Fab dances I adored them

Lows

A few dodgy music moments
Lee going over Charles as Charles out of time in DO Routine... It's the best dance in the DO not dancers potential in future weeks.

The fall out over that kiss in papers and media

B,runo
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty Re: SCD 2018 Weekly Highs and Lows

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 pm

Highs
Harry Potter opening n umber
Some excellent iconic tracks and well put together routines made for a great all round show
Seann and Katya's paso
Graeme and Oti's Charleston
Kate and Alijaz's slow Foxtrot
Stacey's enthusiasm and her jive performance
Katie finally looking like she was enjoying it!
Mainly excellent costumes (except for poor Lee)
Great costumes again for T ess and particularly C laude - who has looked good every show so far - different designer this year?

Lows -( hardly any this week)
Singin in the rain n umber with the 'water bath' - I just kept thinking that someone was going to slip and do themselves and expensive injury!
Predictable choreography from both Janette and Mrs C lifton - not quite worthy of their respective partners potential
Not the right DO result for me

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 pm

I missed the results show so missed the Pro dancers yet again

Highs
Make-up -especially Graeme's Spiderman mask
Kate S - She's totally committed and a joy to watch.
Sean & Katya's Paso routine. Loved the smo-lo section.
Faye & Gio's Quickstep
The elegant lifts in Charles & Karen's Smooth (the rest of the routine bored me)
I agree with mauve. Whoever is dressing Claude & T ess are doing a good job so far.

Lows
Lee going out a few weeks earlier than I expected.
Not so keen on the curtain/entrance prop being used in the Clauditorium for 'T&C'.
Too much whooping and hollering in the Clauditorium, bordering on 'canned' laughter
Lauren's 'Fame' outfit. Obviously designed by someone who'd never seen the original film

B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 am

HIGHS

Graeme's Charleston
Stacey's Jive
Kate's dance
Seann's Paso
Shoot me but I enjoyed the banter and bitching between B.runo and C.raig. It helps release a bit of tension and made me laugh and shows they are human as well.
High quality movie week despite my fears that musical choices were poor.
Gladys Knight on results show

LOWS

Lee going before his time.
Like B4p not so keen on that contraption they use for terms and cons. Too space consuming and out of place for all it does. Pointless.
Seann and Katya letting themselves down in press
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty Week 4 Highs and Lows

Post  B4p Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Highs
I loved the 3D Floor graphics, particularly the shower effect of the chandelier
I think the 4 judges seem to be working well together, each giving a different angle to consider
The Back Street Boys took me back to car dancing when she-who-can't-be-named was little
I like that Trent is still around in the Strictly background helping with choreography (Karen's Levi Ad Salsa)
Joe and Graeme's enthusiasm.

Lows
No stand out dance for me this week.
T ess starting to interupt the judges yet again
Some of the themes. Who thinks them up? Why was Graeme dressed as a spaceman then changed into a pink streak?
Janette dancing for her life around Dr Ranj who seemed to be trying to kill the bull by smiling him to death and whilst using positive affirmations.
Several of the dances seem to take ages before they actually 'got on with it'. Lots of faffing around time wasting
That Trent isn't a current pro. I thought his routines for Pixie were innovative and fresh.
Graziano is grating, trying too hard to impress (but then it did take me 3 years to defrost to Gio).
Not seeing much of Luba and Johaness. Housewives choice almost non existent in the Pro dances.
Neil looking lost in the Clauditorium.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:31 am

B4p wrote:Highs
I loved the 3D Floor graphics, particularly the shower effect of the chandelier
Just brilliant B4p.

Lows: That pink suit and Karen's tennis club outfit and launderette choreo for a salsa.
The purple peril woodchoppers ball paso.
Tess.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty Re: SCD Weekly highs and lows

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Highs
Much better show than last week!
Mostly good music - I think the music has been a lot better so far this year
Lots of ballroom dances and plenty of improvement in the ballroom dances seen
Danny and Amy's Jive
Charles and Karen's Street
A decent rumba - for once!
A decent guest judge - for once! Really enjoyed Alfonso.

Lows
The awful base ball n umber done by the pros in the results show
Difficult dance off with a questionable result -really sorry to see Vick go, if only she had got more votes to keep her out of the DO
Vick suffering from poor choreography
'10' - this early?? Noooooo Evil or Very Mad
I suppose a 'low' for me is that I don't feel particularly invested in anyone yet this year - unlike last year. I'm sure the 'light bulb' moment will happen soon...……………….. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:50 pm

Agree with lots of that mauve

I know the choreographers are still trying to include An ton in the group dances, but I feel a bit sad seeing him in those persistent cameo roles like this weeks baseball coach.

From the mid-table lot, I'm starting to root for Graeme

Last edited by B4p on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 am

B4p wrote:
From the mid-table lot, I'm starting to root for Graeme
Me too!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:49 am

HIGHS

Charles not having to go through the rigours of the dance-off again.

A good range of improved dances on last week.

Alphonso better than I expected but only a cameo judge for me.

Graeme's Tango

LOWS

A 10 for Danny when I saw him unsteady on his feet at two different times in the dance.

Darcey playing to the crowd after giving the 10.

The dance-off result. Seann should have gone rather than Vick.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty Week 6 Halloween

Post  B4p Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:48 pm

A night of costumes, hair & makeup, technical wizardry, songs and the occasional bit of dancing through the dry ice.

Highs
I really enjoyed the pro dances on the main and result show. Loved the day of the dead Samba (Johannes dancing really stood out) difficult to recognise some of them. Oti gatecrashing the party on the Result Show and the subsequent dust-up with Alijaz was good too.
The band playing the Dr Who theme tune
The ensemble singing for Time Warp
Kate's makeup and dress
Pasha's red barrel pack belly costume
Faye & Gio's theatre/jazz routine with Hayley singing

Lows
Bipolar scoring.
Rita Ora.
Katya going out.
Graeme having an off week.
VT's showing negatives in training, just before the contestants are due to go on, e.g. Danny's fear of doing lifts, Graeme going blank in training, Stacey not clicking with the Samba, last week.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Weekly Highs & Lows Empty Week 7 High & Lows

Post  B4p Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:52 am

Highs
The Aretha Franklin tribute Pro dance and the Choir singing.
I enjoyed Ashley's Foxtrot, and Graham's Waltz, but none of the dances really wowed me this week.
Stacey's 'can-do' attitude
Janette's firework bead dress.
Some good music and singing by the band and singers.

Lows
Kate being in pain and not able to dance with ease.
Peculiar scores that didn't reflect the judges comments
Some of the dresses were dire.
Alijaz's purple flock wallpaper suit.
Mr Greasball's looks of agony when dancing with Nadiya whilst Jess Glynn was singing.
Danny setting off on the wrong foot.
T ess's inane comments:
'how do you feel about being in the dance-off' 'Have you done enough to avoid the dance off this week?' Disagreeing with the judges over Faye's critique. 'A very modern take on the cube wasn't it?' (whattttt?) Explaining Br uno's Strictly nod to 'La La Land'. Give the viewers some credit puh-lease.

B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:17 am

HIGHS

The Aretha Franklin Tribute dance plus the singers

Graeme Swann's waltz and what it meant personally to him

High standard of dance generally

Loved the mood created for Kate's dace - the spotlight and sole violin player lit up. Great.

Dance-off result

LOWS

Weird marking by the judges. A 6 from C.raig for Graeme's waltz thought he said so much about it he liked. A 4 from C.raig for Kate's Argentine Tango....pffft. Elevated marks for Dr Ranj and think it was C.raig who flung in that he loved his teeth. Truly bizarre to use one's teeth as an excuse to give a higher mark.

Charles in the dance-off again

Shirley's bloody cuddles for Joe.

Clear favouritism becoming apparent with judges.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Highs
The Kingdom Choir
The Pro Dancers' routine
Stacey and Kevin's Street Commercial
Graeme, Joe and Lauren all improving.

Lows
Kate having to dance while in pain
Aljaz's flock wallpaper outfit!
Shirley's increasing cougar-like attitudes. She's becoming more and more like Arlene Philips every day!

I didn't get B/runo's reference to La La Land. We watched it on Netflix and about half an hour in said "this is rubbish" and switched it off. I've no idea how it managed to get an Oscar (an attitude held by many muscial theatre performers in the West End. I haven't heard anyone with a good word to say about it which is unusual.)
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:02 pm

I'm with you re La La Land Twirlie- I watched it on Netflix to see what all the fuss was about as I thought I might like it-and I fell asleep!-seemed like self indulgent twaddle to me
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next