Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ogogo Doesn't Go Quietly

+3
cellar-door
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
7 posters

Go down

Ogogo Doesn't Go Quietly Empty Ogogo Doesn't Go Quietly

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:34 pm

It would seem that after his exit from the show Anthony Ogogo let rip at the producers accusing them of lumping together ethnic minorities and saying he never had a chance as he doesn't have a BBC connection. Sour grapes?

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Ogogo Doesn't Go Quietly Empty Re: Ogogo Doesn't Go Quietly

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:31 pm

Two things CC: One, the report doesn't sound quite as barbed as the headline and, B..If it is really meant, then Ogogo should be ashamed of himself for raising such an issue. Is the whole thing about racism not concerning equality as people and not skin colour? We have people wailing about not enough of this, that and the other ethnic minorities, yet is Ogogo really complaining because two people of dark skin are paired together in a dance contest? That's racism from him if so and until we stop having things like Gay Pride and Black Pride distinctions, that old equality thing will never happen. It's supposed to be about dance and if you're good enough you'll win regardless of anything else. Ask all the sportspeople, footballers and celebrities driving round in Ferarris if colour matters as much at the top end as it does as the bottom. In that respect, there are far more poor white failures in this country than any other race. Has he become a success   in boxing because somebody felt sorry for him, or because he's good at it? Which is it Anthony?
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:40 pm

I think it's a combo of quoting him out of context and the reporter pretending to side him and playing devil's advocate in his mind to get him to voice his disappointment. Ogogo, nice though he seems, doesn't look like the sharpest knife in the drawer...
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:09 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Two things CC: One, the report doesn't sound quite as barbed as the headline and, B..If it is really meant, then Ogogo should be ashamed of himself for raising such an issue. Is the whole thing about racism not concerning equality as people and not skin colour? We have people wailing about not enough of this, that and the other ethnic minorities, yet is Ogogo really complaining because two people of dark skin are paired together in a dance contest? That's racism from him if so and until we stop having things like Gay Pride and Black Pride distinctions, that old equality thing will never happen. It's supposed to be about dance and if you're good enough you'll win regardless of anything else. Ask all the sportspeople, footballers and celebrities driving round in Ferarris if colour matters as much at the top end as it does as the bottom. In that respect, there are far more poor white failures in this country than any other race. Has he become a success   in boxing because somebody felt sorry for him, or because he's good at it? Which is it Anthony?

Putting aside what Anthony might or might not have said I have to disagree with the couple of bits in bold, Mr T.

I feel very strongly that Black Pride and Gay Pride are still important, necessary and relevant. Yes we passed the gay marriage bill last year but there was still some appalling bigotry and ignorance displayed during the debate, particularly among Conservatives (half of whom voted against). Some Tory MPs and Peers actually compared gay marriage to incest and bestiality. Not only that, LGBT people still face an awful lot of discrimination and bullying (e.g. at school) and homosexuality is still a crime in 82 countries. We've still some way to go. Pride events not only have a profound impact on young LGBT people who may be struggling to come to terms with their sexuality but they are also a display of solidarity with those gay people around the world who are being persecuted.

Likewise, racism is alive and well. Gender inequality too. That's why I feel things like Black History Month and International Women's Day are important. It's also true that women and ethnic minorities are under-represented in politics and the media and other industries - all still dominated by white middle class men - and that's something we should continue to address.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:55 pm

^ Not really the place for it, but the thing is Sid, it is a fact that racial prejudice exists and in some places it's far worse than others, but idiots also exist in large n umbers and they aren't all white. In many areas also things have moved on somewhat. Can parading around that people are different ever be a means to all being the same? That was my point. Here are a couple of examples:

My local M.P and the previous one have not only been Asian but females also. I live in an area with a very large mixed population. My next door neighbour and his wife are Polish and there are dozens of Indian and Pakistani families nearby.  

At our local Palais live event on Saturday it ended with a fun dance session. Before that a Greek restaurant owner and his wife did a solo tango and at the end there were at least a dozen Indian couples in national dress on the floor together with a very large African guy in full costume. Guess what, they were part of the filmed sections for the T.V programme. One of our jive group is of West Indian family. Nobody actually called for a fanfare of trumpets and made an announcement or called for a round of applause when a pair of gay men, also part of the groups, entered the floor and joined in a group Cha-cha. There might have been a few good-natured comments because this was ballroom, but who really cared? Certainly no one I know. My wife remarked how good they were on the floor.The point is nobody tried to stand out or be anything but a part of it all and just blended in. It worked very well, as it always does here, a sense of oneness.  That's how it should be, surely, not parades celebrating the differences. There might be ways to go, granted, but at least it's a start.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:08 pm

I think in all areas be it either Sexuality, Gender,Colour,Race,Religion even Political views you will find pockets of people who will disagree with everything.A few people will make trouble in peaceful protests and some strong personalities try the shout and ram the point home. I wish to make my own mind up and be allowed to keep my opinions without being judged or even bullied by protestors,groups,politicians,over zealous fb groups or flyers pushed through my door. We are all individuals and not sheep (apologies to all sheep! ) and shouldn't be pigeon-holed into set slots! Should we all not be given the same courtesy,respect and privacy?

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Ogogo Doesn't Go Quietly Empty Re: Ogogo doesn't go quietly

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

But someone should point out to Anthony that the most of the winners over the years, haven't had BBC connections. Also, there will always be people who are perceived as 'bigger' stars than others in SCD - it is the chance that everyone takes who enters the show.

It was a shame that he had to go so soon and a shame that he ended up in the DO against Ainsley, who has had the judges with him from day one - but who also did the better job in the DO I thought, so it was a fair decision. I think it is a shame for Oti, who as a new pro would want more exposure. I do think that he would have increasingly struggled with his arm.

In a way, can't blame him having a hissy fit - I bet loads of them do but it just doesn't end up getting reported. Perhaps also take the report with a bit of a pinch of salt? Rolling Eyes

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:35 pm

I've read a three accounts of this interview now, and they vary quite a bit! In the Radio Times one (I think it was the Radio Times) Anthony doesn't go on about BBC faces. He just says that because he's not a known "BBC face" like Jeremy Vine or Carol Kirkwood who have big followings, he didn't expect to last that long. I think he's been hyped a bit. The comment about black and ethnic minorities is a bit odd - er Jamelia, Anita and Ainslie are all white then?

Where I've got a bit more sympathy with him is where he says that the beginners are competing against people with dance training and experience (I think that he explicitly mentions Helen and Peter) and the judges make no allowance for that. I think he's got a point there, but quite what you do about it I don't know (short of some sort of handicap system which would be a nightmare). I do think it would be nice if the judges could acknowledge the different levels of experience a bit more in their comments sometimes.

Still, at the end of the day it's all about the entertainment value......

Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum