Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD Christmas Special 2018

+3
CaledonianCraig
mauveangel09
B4p
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SCD Christmas Special 2018 Empty SCD Christmas Special 2018

Post  B4p Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:56 pm

All been on Strictly before:

Ann Widdecombe

Michael Vaughn?

Anita Rani

Aston Merryfield

Jake Wood

Caroline Flack
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD Christmas Special 2018 Empty Re: SCD Christmas Special 2018

Post  B4p Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:59 pm

Will Janette be teamed with Aston again
An ton with Ann
Jake and Katya might be good.

Maybe the powers that be will just mix it up, like Frankie getting Gorka for the Christmas Special (which she didn't seem to thrilled about after Kevin)
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 am

Quite an intriguing line-up - I groaned however when I saw that W iddy was included and I think it is 100% certain she will be partnered with A nton as he got knocked out on the first week and who else would partner her???? Not sure about Katya being in it as she has only just got knocked out - but would be good if she was. Would be nice to see Neil and some of the 'Sunday dancers' in the show.

I like the idea of past contestants being included - particularly those who perhaps go before their time - so I'm not sure what I think about the inclusion of Caroline Flack? I don't think that series winners should appear personally.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 am

A bit of a mixed bag in my opinion.

I have no doubt this is the way to go though with purely past contestants. I do not see the sense of having new celebs for the Xmas Special and then calling on them again for the full series at a later date where they will then have had some training. It has happened before.

Hard lines An.ton you have been lumbered again no doubt. It will be good to see Michael Vaughan and Jake Wood in action again and in true Strictly fashion we will get a battle of the ringers in Aston and Caroline.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:35 pm

From the Beeb Twitter feed

The Christmas Pairings (sounds like potato peel!)

✨Anita Rani & Neil Jones
✨Ann Widdecombe & An ton Du Beke
✨Aston Merrygold & Janette Manrara
✨Caroline Flack & Gorka Márquez
✨Luba Mushtuk & Jake Wood
✨Nadiya Bychkova & Michael Vaughan
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:41 am

It's going to be Aston isn't it Rolling Eyes
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:28 am

diamondsandpearls wrote:It's going to be Aston isn't it Rolling Eyes

I think so

I still haven't fully recovered from the sight of his wee legs in those blue troll stockings last year.  I'm half hoping Janette themes him as a Santa's elf with green and red stockings.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 am

jingle wrote:

I think so

I still haven't fully recovered from the sight of his wee legs in those blue troll stockings last year.  I'm half hoping Janette themes him as a Santa's elf with green and red stockings.

lol! lol! YOu and me both Jingle! But I love the thought of him being humiliated again and being elf-ed up by a clueless Janette! Very Happy
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:22 am

An enjoyable enough Xmas Special but for the result. Sorry folks I just cannot hack Aston and I get the feeling it was kind of pre-ordained he was to win. Other thoughts being what a huge waste of space Ann Widdecombe was and quite insulting really. She was never in a billion years going to win and was there to be laughed and ridiculed at - pure and simple. It was a slot I am sure that could have been filled by a far more competent dancer. Still it was good to see Jake Wood, Michael Vaughan and Anita Rani dance again.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi CC - and anyone else who is out there!! Merry Boxing Day to you all.

Yes I quite enjoyed the show - I think I just see it as a great way to sit down after Christmas Dinner and enjoy a bit of Christmassy music and dancing - what not to like? But I do agree with you CC - it seemed to be the beeb 'making amends' to Aston slightly - in the same way that they did to Melvin Odoom a few years back (both partners of Janette - confused). I also stand by my feelings that as a past series winner - Flackers shouldn't have appeared, as good as her dance was. I actually would have liked to have seen Jake Wood win (another ex partner of Janette - funny that Smile he seemed to be having a really good time and still has those latin hips! I also really enjoyed Anita and Neill's dance but felt that Vaughny seemed to be there to make up the n umbers and I wasn't so keen on their routine. As for the ugly sisters...………..well it was Christmas and she did get her '2' from CRH...…………….Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas and wishing all of you a very Happy (and most importantly) and Healthy New Year
xxxx santa santa rendeer rendeer king jocolor

ps - I bet the show aren't too happy that Chris Evans has spilt the beans about being signed up for next year...…...tee hee!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi mauve. Your thoughts mirror mines I would say. I enjoyed Anita Rani's dance. It had a nice gentile feel to it with elegance and a lovely lift too. Also good watching Jake strut his stuff again.

As for Chris Evans well until he walks down that red carpet or is confirmed by the show it is still speculation.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:46 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:It's going to be Aston isn't it Rolling Eyes

It was Aston wasn't it Rolling Eyes

So much for surprises...

Although Neil put in an illegal lift in the Foxtrot, and there was floor swimming and any amount of floor spins, in all I liked this routine the best of them all. Anita wasn't the best dancer though - very similar level to the Dooley I thought - good at delivering a performance but slightly wobbly in the core and not great on foorwork.

Flackers annoys me even more than she did the first time round.  Now she is a past winner and it is pointless letting her having another bite of the cherry.  Also her Charleston was nothing new.

Aston was competent but I've seen a ton of better jives.

Jake's hips tried their best but I found them a bit sticky and in need of some WD40 and the routine was all a bit four years ago.

I'm not going to talk about the ugly sisters.

And Michael Vaughn is superfluous.

Can you tell I was a bit grumpy when I watched this?  It was Christmas Day and not a drop of alcohol was available (it was at my mother's care home so no alcohol allowed because of possible reactions to medication) and I think I needed some to look upon this kindly.

And I've just driven back the looong sj ourney from Norfolk to Cumbria and I am supertired (I though nobody would be about on Boxing Day. I was wrong).

But Merry Boxing Day everybody - hope you are having a cosy and relaxed one :-) xx santa

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:57 pm

I thought the xmas special was an enjoyable bit of fluff, though not a particularly vintage year, and I just couldn't bear to watch Ann W yet again.

Aston was rather fortunate to win, his technique looked very messy and the music wasn't suitable for a jive. I would've preferred Jake to win, but hey ho.

Anyhow, hoping you're all having a great holiday!  I'm looking forward to Dancing on Ice in January, and also The Greatest Dancer (not sure what that is, but Oti is in it so I'll definitely watch).

Edit - just seen your post Diamonds. Oh dear, I'm sure you're glad to have finished your long drive. Feet up, nice bath, open a bottle....hope you're feeling better soon flower
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:01 pm

I watched the show a bit indifferently, possibly with some small sadness that another Strictly season is over. Maybe my age, but I'm truly sick of the words "hips, hot and sexy" in a dance show. They take away from what dance is all about, a natural bodily reaction to music and not a robotical audience pleaser one. I actually thought Jake, who I supported last year, looked a little ridiculous wrigling about like he had a ferret in his boxers and shook my head a bit at Darcy and Shirley behaving like St Trinians sixth formers about it. (How am I doing so far?) . A nton is still one of the best ballroom dancers around and is being used as a pantomime joke act to make the show "entertaining" to a wider audience. What an utter waste of a fine dancer. It all seemed a bit " after the Lord Mayor's show"and I watched it mainly because I could eat my Christmas meal and a glass of wine whilst doing so. No wish to be a killjoy, but...well, Happy New Year to you all and I'll watch some Fred and co on Youtube not doing the splits and doing a little fancy footwork instead. Maybe I'll watch Anthony Quinn doing the Tango, or even dig out West Side Story from somewhere and watch Rita Moreno...At my age I'm not hurrying anything along. Festina Lente and all that.... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:55 am

TANGOLERO wrote:I watched the show a bit indifferently, possibly with some small sadness that another Strictly season is over.  Maybe my age, but I'm truly sick of the words "hips, hot and sexy" in a dance show. They take away from what dance is all about, a natural bodily reaction to music and not a robotical audience pleaser one. I actually thought Jake, who I supported last year, looked a little ridiculous wrigling about like he had a ferret in his boxers and shook my head a bit at Darcy and Shirley behaving like St Trinians sixth formers about it. (How am I doing so far?) . A nton is still one of the best ballroom dancers around and is being used as a pantomime joke act to make the show "entertaining" to a wider audience. What an utter waste of a fine dancer. It all seemed a bit " after the Lord Mayor's show"and I watched it mainly because I could eat my Christmas meal and a glass of wine whilst doing so. No wish to be a killjoy, but...well, Happy New Year to you all and I'll watch some Fred and co on Youtube not doing the splits and doing a little fancy footwork instead. Maybe I'll watch Anthony Quinn doing the Tango, or even dig out West Side Story from somewhere and watch Rita Moreno...At my age I'm not hurrying anything along. Festina Lente and all that.... lol!

Fabulous summing up Tango!  I agree totally about Jake - he wasn't actually moving his hips in a natural rhythmic interpretation of the music but just standing there and reacting to the ferrets in his pants.  And I think his reactions were a lot less loose than four years ago - I wasn't a fan of Charles' personally, but when he did his Samba I could see why Darcey and Shirley might get all hot under the collar in a pantomime-y, hammy sort of way, but sadly Jake really didn't have it.

I have NO idea why Widdershins was let anywhere near it - I think there was a universal groan when it was announced she was on.  WOuld have loved to have seen A nton reunited with the only good partner he had which was the gorgeous and elegant Katie Derham.

Immediately afterwards me and Mum were watching Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron doing American in Paris and then Fred and Rita doing the Shorty one.

I've not seen - or even heard that he could - Anthony Quinn doing the tango - shall go and look right NOW!!!

Happy Twixtmas!

Edit: Can only find Mr Quinn Zorba the Greek-ing. No sign of any tango-ing :-(
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:40 am

Seems like people are a bit 'bah humbug' with the Christmas Special - shame on you - (LOL Smile Smile ) The key is not to expect much from it - gone are the days when it was a kind of 'champions all' re-match - it has simply replaced the late afternoon pantomime slot for the Beeb on Christmas Day and it truly became a panto this year with the inclusion of W iddy!!! I must admit I like the Christmas Music and the Christmas Spirit - I couldn't really care less who the dancers are...……….. (for once!) xxx santa santa rendeer rendeer

Bring on 'Dancing on Ice'!!!! (must also look up what this 'Greatest Dancer' malarkey is all about...…….perhaps a bit like 'So you think you can Dance' or whatever it was, which I really enjoyed...……….)

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:19 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:Seems like people are a bit 'bah humbug' with the Christmas Special - shame on you - (LOL Smile Smile )   The key is not to expect much from it - gone are the days when it was a kind of 'champions all' re-match -  it has simply replaced the late afternoon pantomime slot for the Beeb on Christmas Day and it truly became a panto this year with the inclusion of W iddy!!!  I must admit I like the Christmas Music and the Christmas Spirit - I couldn't really care less who the dancers are...……….. (for once!) xxx santa santa rendeer rendeer

Bring on 'Dancing on Ice'!!!!      (must also look up what this 'Greatest Dancer' malarkey is all about...…….perhaps a bit like 'So you think  you can Dance' or whatever it was, which I really enjoyed...……….)

Oh yes, I was totally channelling my inner Scrooge Very Happy I hardly drink, but Christmas is one time when I like to have a bit of wine or Christmas spirit - mine's a brandy drunken . And I think the Christmas Special is best watched when in a much more mellow/tipsy mood than I was in...

I'm also intrigued by the premise of the Greatest Dancer. I used to enjoy So You Think You Can Dance (so many of Strictly's stars come from the American version - Pasha and Artem fr'instance) and was sad when it ended. So maybe it's a re-boot. Only downside is that Cheryl Many-Surnames is also on the judging panel which is worse than having Alesha as a dance judge. But Oti... YAY!!! cheers cheers I am awaiting the commisioning of a programme which involves Oti, Amy and Luba as the stars. I think it's title has already been used though: Absolutely Fabulous... Wink
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Here you go, D&P, it was actually the Paso Anthony Quinn did that I was thinkin of,, and with Rita Hayworh in the film "Blood and Sand". I got mixed up as I had watched the Valentino Tango scene at the same time..Anyway, here you go..enjoy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfnHsT9KEds
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Aha! That's why I couldn't find it!! Yes, I know and love this. Rita still transitioning from completely au naturel to Hollywood bombshell. Gorgeous - on all levels Smile
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:53 am

Happy New Year everyone - hope your 2019 is happy and healthy☀
I recorded the Xmas special and watched it the next day I think ( lose track of time in the crimbo limbo- awful phrase but have to admit it sums it up nicely)I enjoyed the Christmassy feel but am in total agreement that Flackers shouldn't have been in it - surely that should be a champion of champions programme?scratch
It was as D&P said pre ordained that Aston would win. It was a harmless time filler of a programme and I watched it as such. 
I am also looking forward to the Greatest Dancer - can we add a new topic?  I had to smile when I read that everyone else also seems to agree with the general WTF casting of Cheryl whatevershe'scalledthesedays. I've never really got into DOI but will be interested to hear from you how james Jordan gets on- is he really in it?
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:13 pm

So, it's on a couple of hours..

Yes, we are watching Greatest Dancer because... Queen Oti of All That Is Fabulous

No, we are not watching Greatest Dancer because... Cheryl Woman Of A Thousand Names

Sid has just this scond informed me that he is OUT.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:52 pm

I was SO disappointed with The Greatest Dancer. The show had just about everything I detest about reality TV, especially all the sentimental filler. I read afterwards that Simon Cowell is involved in production, which explains a lot. Just not my cup of tea and I definitely won't be watching again, despite our wonderful Oti being on it. Just hoping that Dancing on Ice tomorrow is a bit more watchable.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:02 pm

I'm not sure if we are bothering to start a new thread for The Greatest Dancer? No-one seems to be around... *tumbleweed*

Anyway. Oti started well and then over-egged the whooping and jumping up and down until I almost forgot I loved her. Cheryl was actually more measured, wlthough she inevitably cried at the emotional manipulation point. The Glee bloke was unmemorable. Alesha wore a horrendous outfit and didn't do much. Jordan didn't do much but what he did was ok. There was some strange woman on 'reception' who I think I might vaguely recognise but couldn't put my finger on it and it was gnawing at me the whole programme. There was an ignorant audience who don't appreciate ballet and only like a very narrow field of dancing. We were manipulated at every turn so that when the show closed with a performer with Down's Syndrome (who performed well but not as well as some of the others who didn't get through) there were tears all round and cries of 'inspirational!' It was genuinely joyful and moving section, but I don't take kindly to being manipulated (I have since discovered it's a Syco production, so...)

The first act got their shirts off to reveal very buff bods, so they got through. Some cute all-girl (the taller girls took the male parts)Latin formation dancers got through, though when Oti got up and chax3-ed with them you saw how inexperienced they were. An amazing ballet dancer didn't get through, there was some no-hopers, the Cheryl fanboy, and then there was Andrew at the end. Both Cheryl and Oti got on stage at some point, Glee chap didn't. The end.

I got out my 3 paddle.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Oh Jingle - we crossed!

I agree x a zillion.

As you say, it's Simon Cowell's fault. I feel sad for Oti as she is worthy of prime time tv and becoming recognised by the nation as Queen of all that is magnificent, but she now be tarnished with the tackiness of this. It hadsuch potential, but the whole sentimental vts with the familys and the whole manipulation has made it unbearable

I won't be watching again either.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Firstly - in case anyone is wondering why I'm not watching Dancing on Ice - I always record the first hour so that I can skip through the ITV annoying adverts...……………….

so...……..WTF was that show last night???????? I can't begin to explain what I thought of it if I have to use polite terms Laughing Laughing I didn't realize that it was a Simon Cowell offering until Mr Mauve told me - shame on the BBC and shame on them to indulge in a show which involved ritual humiliation - not usually their style. Yes Dance is for everyone - I have always passionately believed that, but this is the opposite of what this show is about - some of it felt so uncomfortable to me that I almost could not watch...……….and as for the ignoramus audience where did they get them from?

It started off quite watchable - I liked the Street dance troupe with their Motown twist and the 70s outfits (which soon revealed the chests!). The kids doing the latin were sweet and also ok for me but nothing remarkable - however, they are kids so the heartstrings of the audience were tugged, especially after the heart felt plea from Dad...………… and then there was a superb ballet dancer - much better in fact than the young contemporary dancer who appeared later in the show - although she was very good and did have potential I thought. I was so gutted when the ballet dancer did not get through that it kind of set the seal on the show for me - I also thought that for one moment Oti looked like she was wondering what she had got involved with - although she soon recovered and was actually getting on my nerves a bit by the end of the programme with all the whooping and hollering - Cheryl was better than I expected and I also liked the 'Glee' bloke.

So after that it went downhill for me - the mature ladies were never going to have a chance with that audience - I won't even mention the Cheryl stalker and I was then annoyed that we appeared to just see a segment of some excellent tap dancers with a modern twist - they did get through but we weren't really shown or told anything about them. Then with Andrew I think they were hoping for the 'Susan Boyle' moment - I must admit I thought he was pretty good indeed but it was all so over egged...………. the whole show just felt wrong including the sort of pseudo receptionist who kind of behaved like the girl on Tatoo Fixers (don't know why I thought that) but she was totally superfluous to the proceedings.

Last thoughts - it is a big mistake to give an audience so much power early on in a show and I think they could come seriously unstuck with this formula.

Anyway - dismayed that this is on the beeb - and I won't be watching it...…….. Sad Sad

Now lets see how Dancing on Ice is faring...……………….. Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next