Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly Books

+33
Poppetlovestango
jingle
saxonsiren
Lucielle
LOST-TANGO
lualen
2toTango
bluecat
salsarae
Kytiara
Toby Jugg
Admin
ewoodie
Alder
David Tee
ladycat
sparklysheila
133-230-44039-18180-800
Pat Shed
MrsArcanum
TompsHB
Mila
fkaIgor *LT*
Mslightfoot
TANGOLERO
allsewnonbyhand
Sid
Lilypad
fiftynotout
Frankie Spence
bomum
Sofajudge
Pink Pinot Girl
37 posters

Page 1 of 43 1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 43  Next

Go down

Strictly Books Empty Strictly Books

Post  Pink Pinot Girl Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Millennium Series ... who's going to go first?
Pink Pinot Girl
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Strictly Books Empty Re: Strictly Books

Post  Sofajudge Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:
Pink Pinot Girl wrote:Millennium Series ... who's going to go first?

Spot the deliberate typo.

Where did my reply go?????????????

Thanks for starting the thread PPG x

Loved the trilogy and the first film, even though I had to bear subtitles (I don't do subtitles!), even though they messed with the story it was still good.

Thrilled to find out there is a new C J Sansom out, fourth in the 'Shardlake' series... can't wait to get my hands on it.
Sofajudge
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Sofajudge wrote:
Pink Pinot Girl wrote:
Pink Pinot Girl wrote:Millennium Series ... who's going to go first?

Spot the deliberate typo.

Where did my reply go?????????????

Thanks for starting the thread PPG x

Loved the trilogy and the first film, even though I had to bear subtitles (I don't do subtitles!), even though they messed with the story it was still good.

Thrilled to find out there is a new C J Sansom out, fourth in the 'Shardlake' series... can't wait to get my hands on it.

You are welcome darling x

I still haven't seen the film Sofes. I loved the books despite the descriptions of food (meatball city) and the adverts for Mac applications. Lisbeth was the most unlikely heroine but very appealing.

I've not read any of the Shardlake series but BF is a big fan.
Pink Pinot Girl
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  bomum Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:19 pm

I've read them but I haven't seen the films either. Book 3 started with a bang and just kept going!

I'm reading 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult at the mo - it's a really riveting read, one of those I have propped open on the cook book stand while I'm making dinner!

bomum

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:28 pm

bomum wrote:I've read them but I haven't seen the films either. Book 3 started with a bang and just kept going!

I'm reading 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult at the mo - it's a really riveting read, one of those I have propped open on the cook book stand while I'm making dinner!

I like Jodi Picoult Saz but made the mistake of reading one after the other and then started predicting what was going to happen in all of them!

I'm reading a Rosie Thomas at the moment, A Simple Life, which is enjoyable but not all that gripping. I need a new favourite author at the moment.

I like Kate Atkinson but couldn't get into Emotionally Weird, it felt like she was drunk when writing it.
Pink Pinot Girl
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Frankie Spence Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi Pink Pinot Girl,

Nice to see you again! Can't find a hug smiley (boo!) or I'd put one in.

Thanks for the link to this board from the blog, and for starting this thread! I've just finished reading 'Pies and Prejudice' by Stuart Maconie. It's very funny at times and has left me feeling a little homesick for the North (I live in exile down south these days).

Hope some more of last years bookworms find this post - last years thread left me with some great reading ideas...

Frankie Spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:54 am

Frankie Spence wrote:Hi Pink Pinot Girl,

Nice to see you again! Can't find a hug smiley (boo!) or I'd put one in.

Thanks for the link to this board from the blog, and for starting this thread! I've just finished reading 'Pies and Prejudice' by Stuart Maconie. It's very funny at times and has left me feeling a little homesick for the North (I live in exile down south these days).

Hope some more of last years bookworms find this post - last years thread left me with some great reading ideas...

Hi Frankie Smile

BF loved Pies and Prejudice as well (he's from Yorkshire) and keeps telline me I must read it.

Ditto on last year's thread, I read loads of different authors following other people's recommendations.

Has anyone read The Secret History (Donna Tartt)? So far it's been my book of the year. I loved it. I couldn't get into The Little Friend though.
Pink Pinot Girl
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:16 am

Donna Tartt? Doesn't she write some seriously dark stuff? Sure I had a book of hers years ago with a nasty doll face on the cover...

I loved the Kate Atkinson you recommended last year PPG. I've loaned it out but think it was Where have the good times gone or something similar.

Sofajudge
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:36 am

Hi gang/sequinners (probably a bit soon for that, no sparkly dresses seen this year so far!)

This year on hols I read Jodi Picoult's "Change of Heart", I found it in the hotel. I was gripped, cover to cover, even recommended it to the husband who also rated it. Best one of hers by far - unless anybody out there knows better.....
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:33 am

Hey Fifty Smile

I read a lot of Jodi P books in quick succession and found I could guess the plot, also a little too much recurring court room dramatics for me. As I've had a couple of years break now I'll give your recommendation a try.

I'm reading a Rankin at the moment 'The Complaints'. It's good, not one that will stay with me though.
Sofajudge
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:51 am

Hey Sofes ((hugs))

Let me know if you like it
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 am

fiftynotout wrote:Hi gang/sequinners (probably a bit soon for that, no sparkly dresses seen this year so far!)

This year on hols I read Jodi Picoult's "Change of Heart", I found it in the hotel. I was gripped, cover to cover, even recommended it to the husband who also rated it. Best one of hers by far - unless anybody out there knows better.....

I think Change of Heart was the first one I read of JP's FNO and I agree, it was excellent. Reminded me of The Green Mile a bit.
Pink Pinot Girl
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:50 am

Sorry peeps, nothing to do with books, but will somebody please tell me how to insert a picture in my profile.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:53 am

fiftynotout wrote:Sorry peeps, nothing to do with books, but will somebody please tell me how to insert a picture in my profile.

Profile and then avatar FNO.

I think mine is way too big!!! And I'm worried people might think I want them to offer me cake and champagne.
Pink Pinot Girl
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 am

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:
fiftynotout wrote:Sorry peeps, nothing to do with books, but will somebody please tell me how to insert a picture in my profile.

Profile and then avatar FNO.

I think mine is way too big!!! And I'm worried people might think I want them to offer me cake and champagne.

That's better!
Pink Pinot Girl
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Avatar? Sorry, you'll have to be a tiny bit more specific....
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Sofajudge Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Click on profile top of your page.

Then click on Avatar

Then you get options as to where the pic should come from. If off your computer it's same as using facebook. Or you can use one supplied on that page.

Smile Let me know if you want more specifics.
Sofajudge
Sofajudge

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:52 pm

I can't see avatar. I've clicked on my profile section where it gives my gender, dob etc but can't find avatar. Must be having a thick Friday!
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Found it, found it, found it!

Just need hubby to show me how to upload a photo.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilypad Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:00 am

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:Has anyone read The Secret History (Donna Tartt)? So far it's been my book of the year. I loved it. I couldn't get into The Little Friend though.

I've read it. I totally loved it - thought it was marvellous. I haven't tried The Little Friend yet - a bit worried it won't live up to The Secret History, which is probably silly. Even if it doesn't, it won't take anything away from The Secret History.

I've just finished reading The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas for my book group. It polarised opinion. Any one read it?
Lilypad
Lilypad

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Lilypad wrote:

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:Has anyone read The Secret History (Donna Tartt)? So far it's been my book of the year. I loved it. I couldn't get into The Little Friend though.

I've read it. I totally loved it - thought it was marvellous. I haven't tried The Little Friend yet - a bit worried it won't live up to The Secret History, which is probably silly. Even if it doesn't, it won't take anything away from The Secret History.

I've just finished reading The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas for my book group. It polarised opinion. Any one read it?

Not read The Slap Lilypad, would your recommend it?

I'm afraid The Little Friend didn't live up The Secret History for me. TSH had me gripped and I thought the description of the 'bacchus' (can't remember how to spell it!) was so fantastic that I wanted to be part of it ... although not what happened at the end obviously!
Pink Pinot Girl
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilypad Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Pink Pinot Girl wrote:
Lilypad wrote:

Not read The Slap Lilypad, would your recommend it?

I'm afraid The Little Friend didn't live up The Secret History for me. TSH had me gripped and I thought the description of the 'bacchus' (can't remember how to spell it!) was so fantastic that I wanted to be part of it ... although not what happened at the end obviously!

Hi PPG,

Hmm, would I recommend it? Well, I think I would. It has some very interesting ideas - I'm not 100% sure that the execution is as good as I hoped it would be, or expected it to be. It made for a really good discussion, and it made me want to discuss it with more people. So, yes, I'd recommend it. But with that caveat (which is entirely subjective, naturally)

TSH also had me gripped (and I'm glad you didn't want to be a party to everything that happened). I just recommended it to a friend to take on holiday with her (along with the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver). She's back now, so I must find out what she thought.
Lilypad
Lilypad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi folks!

The Millenium triology was outstanding. I found the third installement most satisfying of all.

I've read some really top notch books lately:

1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - very popular read about black maids working in white households in Jackson, Mississipi during the 1960s. It's both sad and funny in equal measures.

2. One Day by David Nicholls - an extremely smart, funny and poignant love story. The main characters become like your friends, they are so well written.

3. Twisted Wing by Ruth Newman - an excellent (if slightly gruesome!) murder mystery. I was constantly wrong footed.

The Book Thief is an extremely moving story and well worth a read too if you haven't already.

Last edited by Sid on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:08 pm

The Book Thief was my favourite book last year- absolutely loved it. the sort of book that stays with you long after you close the last page. Even persuaded Mr Allsewnon to read it and he loved it too. I'm waiting for his follow up book but nothing doing yet.
I read 'Alone in Berlin' because I wanted to read more set in Germany during the war , but was disappointed in that one. I persevered till the end only to find out what happened but was totally unmoved by the characters.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:18 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:The Book Thief was my favourite book last year- absolutely loved it. the sort of book that stays with you long after you close the last page. Even persuaded Mr Allsewnon to read it and he loved it too. I'm waiting for his follow up book but nothing doing yet.
I read 'Alone in Berlin' because I wanted to read more set in Germany during the war , but was disappointed in that one. I persevered till the end only to find out what happened but was totally unmoved by the characters.

Hi Alls Smile

The Book Thief's possibly the saddest book I've ever read. You're right, it leaves a lasting impression.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 43 1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 43  Next