Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costumes 2014

+11
Wallflower
allsewnonbyhand
cellar-door
Moova 12
fiftynotout
TANGOLERO
lualen
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
hatlady28
15 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Costumes 2014 - Page 4 Empty Re: Costumes 2014

Post  hatlady28 Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:32 am

I think most will have learned from Greg's experience, so we will be spared. Further I imagine that behind the scenes directives will have come down from on high.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:09 pm

True some people find it sexy others revolting! In medieval days and right through to 1800's women wore long pantaloons but as we say now peephole style! So a lady could just lift skirts a little and stand to relieve themselves! Men of course for a while wore cod pieces the flashier the better! Also of course the beloved original "Onesie" the longjohns worn by men.
I was surprised re Gregg being commando as filmed in front of an audience plus beamed into millions of viewers of all ages! So I thought a little decorum would have been thought of. Plus my dearest Gran always used to advise us when going out anywherr! Hope you have decent underwear on If you have an accident and you have ripped/old white pants on Ill bost you!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Actually sax the pantaloons didn't come in until mid 19th century until then it was nothing but petticoats......I used to shock my students by telling them that racy young women of 1810 would dampen the very lightweight lawn dresses to make them stick to their limbs like Greek statues......Wet T-shirts have a LONG history
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Ooh thanks Hatlady. I know in the 16th century some Venentian ladies owned a pair of underwear and one of the french queens did but it still was frowned on for women to wear underwear.In 1663 Samuel Pepys had written aboit fining a pair of pants in his wife's drawers and then actually finding her putting them on! Noting poor creature that she was adding them! Even Queen Elizabeths funeral attire mentions pants and in her wardrobe she was given six silk pants? History a bit vague about it!18th century more womem wore pants.So I guess still in dark re history of pants etc
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Here, as a male, I have to tread rather carefully. A self confessed Jane Austen fan (primarily Pride and Prejudice which I know inside out. I did try to get a thread going on Strictly anything else at one stage. ) and a knowledge of things Regency and historical, is the reason I post this link. The er rather, risque illustration/cartoon is by a well known bawdy artist of the time (A dirty old dog, for my money) but I hope this helps. Embarassed

lol!

http://janeaustensworld.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/ladies-underdrawers-in-regency-times/

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:03 pm

Ooh I cannot see the link Mr T?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:05 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Ooh I cannot see the link Mr T?

Sorry Sax. It's there now.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:07 pm

So, Lady Catherine. You needn't look so smug because we know you have no drawers on..... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:17 pm

cheers Bravo Mr T! I love those risque drawings. Yes I did read in Death Comes To Pemberly the ladies had a wee cesspit dug for them whilst watching the hunt. They stood and relieved themselves. A few undergarments have been found from 16th century! Amazingly the "Bra" used as a fashion from early as 15th century! In fact medieval times they were known as "breast sacks!" The two pieces of sack used to fashion a garment to ummm cup the breast then said sacks tied round neck to hoist said sacks up Embarassed

Fascinating topic Mr T-I womder what style the gentlemen were dressed in especially those clip tight fitting breeches.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:46 pm

saxonsiren wrote:  
Fascinating topic Mr T-I womder what style the gentlemen were dressed in especially those clip tight fitting breeches.

For a , er quick visit they just dropped the front drawbridge flap (apparently) and nipped behind the nearest tree. For the rest, well a man's got to do what a man's got to do(unless in house of course when the chamber-pot was produced. Remember we're dealing with the middle classes and upwards, the working class, well............ Very Happy

Apologies for dragging the thread away from Strictly, Hatlady. Embarassed
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Mr. T, your references are wonderful.....however they represent the most up-to-date fashionable lady. Period clothes are often confusing in that generally the wider population lags 20 years or more. Think today. Did anyone throw out all their clothes 1 January 2014? Personally I am still wearing clothes and shoes that are 30 years old. In previous centuries this was even more true. I stand by my mid-19th century date for the general use of pantaloons. They became particularly necessary with hooped skirts that had a habit of tipping up and overhead.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Mr. T, I feel now is the time to say......Your Avatar.....My surname is Bennett, no I am not Elizabeth. My sister is. My mother said what was the point of being Mrs. Bennett and not having an Elizabeth. Jane Austen was her favourite author.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:20 pm

hatlady28 wrote:  Personally I am still wearing clothes and shoes that are 30 years old.  I

Unfortunately,H.L, if I want to wear thing that are thirty months old I find favourite items like an old cricket cardigan, my trashers with the flapping soles and my shirt that used to frighten scarecows are suddenly missing in action. I do agree with your points though. Mr Darcy's problems were that he had too much money for his own good. It does level the playing field a little knowing he had to use a chamberpot though. cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Yes Mr D used a chamber pot but never had to empty it out.Often the case the Rich afforded spices,fine material,pants yet the poor had to have black bread,empty the chamber pots and be au natural
Lovely to hear re your moms quote of a Mrs Bennett without an Elizabeth is so lovely. I often wish we had more P&P in our lived.The dances,the ettiquette,the innocence.I guess I feel out of sync in this all so electronic modern often rush rush rude world.

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:30 pm

hatlady28 wrote:Mr. T, I feel now is the time to say......Your Avatar.....My surname is Bennett, no I am not Elizabeth.  My sister is.  My mother said what was the point of being Mrs. Bennett and not having an Elizabeth.  Jane Austen was her favourite author.

That's fascinating Hatlady. I have Pride and Prejudice always within touching distance. ( I got a new hardback version for my birthday a couple of years ago) It isn't a love story to me, just a wonderful ( and exceedingly witty) social commentary of middle classes in the Regency era. I admire all Jane Austen's works in proportion, but none surpasses P&P. . The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam ,the Bible and Pride and Prejudice would be my choices if I could only ever own three books.

Delighted to meet you Ms Bennet. Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:42 am

Filmy overskirts were the news this week: Janette, Sunetra, Frankie and Alison all had them to greater or lesser effect.

Sunetra’s very dark brown filmy layer, over lots of fluffy gold yellow skirts, long line bodice with gold breading embellishment was arguably the dress of the night. Janette’s version seemed to be suggesting a kind of 1910 feel, Frankie got girlie pink and Alison was just RED.

The fringe girls, Iveta, Judy, Karen and Pixie, standard fare for the most part. Iveta was heavy beaded fringe, we learned from the costume spot, may have served as a distraction for her, not able to relax and think about her partner, Judy had classic Charleston layered fringe in water blues, very pretty in its own way, Karen had classic pro girl long red fringe over blue for a very short dress. Pixie’s costume was all singing and dancing by itself, quite fun, pinky red fringe bra top with mad fringe and ruffled bottom, oh and headdress to top it all off.

Kristina and O.la decided to go girlie and romantic, Kristina with cream halter top that wasn’t backless and pink fluffy skirt. O.la is a very pretty woman usually masked by aggressive make-up. Here we had very pretty light green with floats and subtle make-up.

Caroline, who we have now learned likes the high neck, exposed shoulder look had dark French blue shorter in the front longer in the back dress with acid yellow lining. Given she had Bond music, I thought this was successful colour and design.

Joanne had one of her better dresses, short yellow with swirly skirt, gold belt, full gauzy sleeves tight at the wrist.

Three lots of tails: Brendan, Steve and Simon, the first two were white tie and Simon with black. Then classic pro Latin look: black trousers, black, short and long sleeved tight glittery tops with deep fees or unbuttoned: Mark and Thom. Jake had the black shirt and trousers with grey braces and gold tie. Scott in contrast was white shirt, yellow waistcoat, gold cravat and grey trousers. Kevin had a pink suit with black accents, Aleash black with red accents. Pasha, classic pro squared black jacket with French blue beading trim and no shirt. Trent did the coloured shirt, red and black trouser combo. An.ton did an An.ton with cricket jumper, striped shirt and cream trousers.

Question: Why was Claudia given one of those dresses with long filmy sleeves that have been slit from shoulder to wrist…..very ageing….surprised she didn’t make a joke about them.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:38 am

hatlady28 wrote:Question: Why was Claudia given one of those dresses with long filmy sleeves that have been slit from shoulder to wrist…..very ageing….surprised she didn’t make a joke about them.

Thank you, HL, I wasn't alone in thinking Claudia was wearing a very weird dress, like someone slit some bin bags and sewn them as sleeves on her blouse that night...
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:54 pm

Cheers HL.

Sunetra's chocolate & gold ballgown was my stand-out dress.

Was lovely to see the men in tails again.

Caroline's colours didn't work for me I'm afraid.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:28 pm

I too loved Sunetra's dress - I kind of liked Janette's dress because it was a bit different and I see what you mean HL about 1910 - but it also reminded me a little of an old fashioned floaty negligee with a belt over it - I think this couple must be dying to the Argentine Tango - all their ballroom gear thus far has been quite dark and latin-like IMO.

I liked K ristina and O la's dresses - I like your assessment of O la HL - the dress seemed pretty and traditional and really suited the understated dance. The thing I didn't like about Caroline's dress was the peplum, which was horrible to my taste and the I felt the dress would have been much more elegant and paso like without it.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:46 pm

mauveangel09 wrote: The thing I didn't like about Caroline's dress was the peplum, which was horrible to my taste and the I felt the dress would have been much more elegant and paso like without it.

I shall, of course, pretend I have the faintest idea what a peplum is.... Embarassed
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  hatlady28 Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Mr. T, a peplum are those odd little skirts that hover around the waist, can be attached to the skirt, the top or even on a dress.
hatlady28
hatlady28

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:02 pm

hatlady28 wrote:Mr. T, a peplum are those odd little skirts that hover around the waist, can be attached to the skirt, the top or even on a dress.

Thank you H.L. Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:08 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:I kind of liked Janette's dress because it was a bit different and I see what you mean HL about 1910 - but it also reminded me a little of an old fashioned floaty negligee with a belt over it

Reminded me a little bit of Sophie's Rhumba dress?!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Yes - Sid - you are right!!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:09 pm

I thought the costumes and make-up were fantastic tonight.
Pixie's Einstein hair doo was am-maz-ing. I didn't recognise Steve & O la, their make-up was so good. I thought Pasha & Caroline looked like relatives of Huggy Bear off Starsky & Hutch.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next