Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of Honesty.

+16
Poppetlovestango
hatlady28
B4p
diamondsandpearls
fiftynotout
allsewnonbyhand
cellar-door
1superken
mauveangel09
TANGOLERO
Sid
saxonsiren
CaledonianCraig
lualen
Wallflower
Tina Sparkle
20 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 3 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  cellar-door Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:15 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Yes, I am worried about Steve and Sunetra.  I voted for Sunetra twice and gave my other to Jake, but wish I had given it to Steve once I had really thought about the bottom two possibilities - that's the problem with the voting only open for such a short time.. I have never managed to be IN time before - this is my first time voting since I tried phone voting for Zoe Ball back in the day (and that never worked either!)

Anyway, hope these two are ok, but I fear we have Scott, Judy and Alison with us all the way to Blackpool...

I still hope that Scot is like C.raig Kelly. Like Kelly, Scott begged to be in the Halloween Week, like Kelly begging to be at Blackpool, and once he's there, he was swiftly voted off. I am hoping the GBP will do the same this time. *praying fervently in the corner*
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:18 pm

cellar-door wrote:

The only two dances I could remember this week was Mark and Frankie. But I agree the music choice, generally pants on this week, was particularly rank for Frankie. No Tango beat to it AT ALL. I really want to do some harm to the producers for this... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

What you said. EXACTLY! (Apart from watching the tangos with the music off - the only one I did that to was Jake's Paso, and sadly it made it all too clear that he lacked shaping). For me Frankie's style (or it may be KFG's) I more pleasing to me than Pixie's. I think I am drawn to the compactness of Frankie and KFG, rather than the lanky elegance of Pixie and Trent. I also loved Vincent and Rachel for the same reason. Mind you, I love Ian and Zoe and Ian and Jodie as a pairing who had the tall elegance thing - so maybe it's Trent' choreography that doesn't quite do it for me?

But please, let me get behind you with the harming of producers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil !!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:41 pm

Just thought I might as well spell it out....

The Halloween theme SUCKS for Strictly!

A dreadful, dreadful night of dancing with a couple of exceptions. I found myself switching tabs (I watch on iplayer on my laptop) and catching up with facebook, my emails, looking at skiing hols - anything - whilst many of the dances were on. I missed most of Alison's wafting, for example.

The dances, if you watch them muted, are actually not as awful as they first seem. But the music choices made them almost totally UN-watchable. Music matters - it can make an ok performance much more entertaining. And the reverse is true; hence I switched off and over during most of the performances due to the execrable tunes.

Also, as the complete opposite of a fan of Halloween, I HATE, with a complete and utter passion, all the horrible hair, makeup and costumes. One of the primary reasons I got hooked on Strictly was because of the glamour - the sequins, the make-up, the hair, the beautiful costumes - and men looking drop dead gorgeous in tails or a trad paso outfit. I don't want to see people all uglified. I don't find it entertaining in the slightest and it totally detracts from what the programme is for me - a chance to play at old fashioned dress-up glamour with lots of fabulous moves and routines to fabulous music. The living dead look just makes me glaze over - and turn over.

At least the movie theme (if chosen carefully) can work for Strictly. Or musicals. Or the Golden Age of Hollywood.

But most definitely NOT Halloween.

I nearly didn't tune in, and as it was I mostly tuned out. Next year I guess I will go off and do something more constructive rather than watch poor dancers made to dance technical dances to music with the wrong tempo whilst made up to look awful.

Bah humbug!!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:11 am

I've put some comments on the Tweetabix Thread in Strictly Anything Else from Ghost Judges Camilla and James about the Halloween performances, copied from Twitter.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:24 am

The Jives

Sunetra, alas, confirmed the Jive's not for her. I thought the fabu-u-lus darling one's critique was fair and she knew he was right. Futhermore, there was a lot of faffing which was probably in part to do with Halloween (props encouraged) but perhaps also a deliberate ploy by Brendan to give Sunetra a bit of a breather between each section of the routine so that it wasn't relentless Jiving all the way through (because she did seem to find the dance a punishing one in training). It wasn't an horrendous Jive, and I liked the characterisation but it definitely leaves Sunetra vulnerable. Strange decision to make her and Brendan dance first given it wasn't a particularly strong opener and was likely to be forgotten by the end. Hence I gave all my votes to these two. 7

Credit where credit's due, Mark pulled off a decent Jive. But again, as with his Samba, I felt the 9s were excessive. They really seem to be bigging him up. And I still find him a bit phoney? I don't know, I just feel as though he's deliberately trying to come across a certain way in VTs etc. 8

The Pasos

Much more assured by Simon this week. But there was a mistake I think? Also, I don't feel as if he and Kristina's partnership has fused. They don't dance in unison, as a single entity. I'd like them to escape the dance-off but I've every little interest in them. 7.5

Jake's Paso was disappointing. The music didn't help, it was very ill-fitting, probably the worst music of the night. But the shaping wasn't there and the bits in hold were stiff and awkward. I worry that after such a sublime start, others are catching and overtaking him. 7

The Tangos

The two Tangos were the highlights of the night. Completely contrasting styles but equally well performed and exciting to watch in my opinion. Loved Pixie's wild and wonderful hair! I think Frankie benefited from the staging of hers - being lifted into the air at the end made it seem bigger and more dramatic and out came the 10 (did make me chuckle when they rubbished Donny's 10!). But they were tied for me, 9s a piece.

Steve - What happened here? I was sure the Charleston was going to be his dance. He forgot massive chunks of the routine and even the bits he remembered were kinda slow and without any sign of swivel. Moreover, I'm over the fact that he can swing put a vest on you strumpet around in the air and catch her! Too many botched lifts. And 3 of the judges gave this 7s? Lovely guy but way overmarked. 5.5

Caroline - A Halloween Disco Samba didn't work. Simply too many themes going on at one time. But well danced as always. 8

Alison - I don't know who I feel more sorry for, Kate Bush or Emily Bronte! 5

Judy - This was back to week 1 Judy. Not good. 4

Scott - Better but still awful. 4.5

It's late so if I left anyone out I apologise! Not a great night of dancing I have to say but hats off to hair, make-up and wardrobe, I thought they surpassed themselves Smile
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:45 am

I believe that the stars of the show last night were, in no particular order: hair, make up, the singers and wardrobe.  Hats off to them for a great job, it must be fun working around a theme, but here's my gripe, it's now hackneyed and predictable. And as we say every year, it means that the dancing suffers having to perform to rubbish music just because it has a word tenuously linked to Halloween in the title. The only halloween show I have enjoyed was the one with Sssscccottttt. Oh and the VTs are awful too.Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad pale

I am worried for Sunetra not only going first and doing a forgettable jive but she's ended up in the danger middle. I gave her two of my votes
My other vote I gave to Jake for similar reasons, I want him to carry on but paso just wasn't his dance
Before the judges gave their scores I gave Mark a 7 for his jive, yes he was energetic and bouncy but I felt it lacked kicks and flicks. Overmarked for me. Might watch it again to see if I am being harsh.
Weirdly, I enjoyed Alison's Wuthering Heights, although more as a show dance than the actual dance( can't even remember what it was supposed to be?!) and definitely helped by the wafty costume.
I loved the choreography in Pixie's dance and the hair!
Everyone else was meh for me, obviously Frankie had the big showstopper at the end and Scott benefited from choreography where being crap and stiff was part of the dance, well done Joanne for that.
I am actually going to be out all day today and home really late, so I'm going to miss the results show. I'm tempted to do the Unforgiveable and go and find out the result.... No more posts from me if I do until tomorrow!
Really think it's time to ditch the Halloween theme now and stick to more generic themes like Hollywood, Disney or Broadway. I'd also like to see a jazz theme, obviously stretching the genre to its limits for some dances ( could it work for all dances I'm wondering?)

*sneaks off to the dark side and hides..... affraid
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:25 am

This was the first Halloween theme that wasn't OTT not all the costumes were horrific. I agree time to ditch the Halloween theme why not go for All Saints day? Could do Saints n Sinners? The singers tried their best with the songs given them! I thought maybe they might havt to resort to strings on toes and yank them to imitate Kate Bush' high pitch toned.
I used my votes to I hope save Steve,Sunetra and changed third vote for Mark.

Mr T I agree the producers need punishment for their abysmal music choices so keeping with the Halloween theme and the scene from Carrie with her mother swept up in the air and then knives thrown to the door!!

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:15 am

Am I alone in thinking that there is a concerted effort by the show to keep Scott in there? Over-marked by three of the four judges again and Tess muttering something about tens. Shocked Do me a favour eh? Also I can't help but notice that in the last two weeks he has been given two excellent pieces of music each suiting his dance perfectly whilst others have not. We also get the act of the put-upon look of Scot when C.raig tells the truth and the pantomime-esque booing from the audience. Please lord relieve us of the agony of watching Scott creak and crawl around the dance floor next week.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:11 pm

Sid wrote: They don't dance in unison, as a single entity. )

Good overall comments Sid,and this stood out: Not just for the Pasos, but also particularly in the Jive. Jive is a couples dance and not just an exhibition of gymnastics or pleasing tricks, it's a DANCE! Unless a pleasing, rythmic unity of action is achieved, they may as well dance it singly. It can be fast, bouncy (indeed normal is) but it has to have a sense of togetherness either in or out of hold. Random leaping about like kids on a bouncy castle will never pass as Jive dance and throws etc that don't keep time with the music turn dance into exhibitionism as do the "ready-steady-go" cartwheels and handstands. .
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:33 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Am I alone in thinking that there is a concerted effort by the show to keep Scott in there? Over-marked by three of the four judges again and Tess muttering something about tens. Shocked  Do me a favour eh? Also I can't help but notice that in the last two weeks he has been given two excellent pieces of music each suiting his dance perfectly whilst others have not. We also get the act of the put-upon look of Scot when C.raig tells the truth and the pantomime-esque booing from the audience. Please lord relieve us of the agony of watching Scott creak and crawl around the dance floor next week.

You are not alone C.C, not at all. This is national television and the emphasis is on viewing ratings and whatever is needed to achieve them. A predictable well-behaved show would lose some of its viewers, so Kate Garraway (who I liked very much actually) John Sargent, Tugboat Annie, Russell Grant and all the rest of the "entertainers"
plus the annoyance elements like Chris Parker, Nancy De Olio (insert any number of) live on whilst dancers leave the floor. Decisions obviously aren't made solely by the judges, but the background Mafia are the ones who really pull the strings to appease the baying masses. Ironically, those giving thumbs up to the clowns, in more ancient times would probably be the ones turning their thumbs the other way. Such is the nature of the beast. Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:23 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

You are not alone C.C, not at all. This is national television and the emphasis is on viewing ratings and whatever is needed to achieve them. A predictable well-behaved show would lose some of its viewers, so Kate Garraway (who I liked very much actually) John Sargent, Tugboat Annie, Russell Grant and all the rest of the "entertainers"
plus the annoyance elements like Chris Parker, Nancy De Olio (insert any number of) live on whilst dancers leave the floor. Decisions obviously aren't made solely by the judges, but the background Mafia are the ones who really pull the strings to appease the baying masses. Ironically, those giving thumbs up to the clowns, in more ancient times would probably be the ones  turning their thumbs the other way. Such is the nature of the beast. Wink  

Correct TANGO but something puzzles me. Even after all those years I still see no entertainment value from the afore-mentioned John Seargeant, Anne Widdecombe and now Scott Mills. No entertainment whatsoever so am I missing something here?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:29 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:
Good overall comments Sid,and this stood out: Not just for the Pasos, but also particularly in the Jive. Jive is a couples dance and not just an exhibition of gymnastics or pleasing tricks, it's a DANCE! Unless a pleasing, rythmic unity of action is achieved, they may as well dance it singly. It can be fast, bouncy (indeed normal is) but it has to have a sense of togetherness either in or out of hold. Random leaping about like kids on a bouncy castle will never pass as Jive dance and throws etc that don't keep time with the music turn dance into exhibitionism as do the "ready-steady-go" cartwheels and handstands. .

Really good points Mr T about the need for "rhythmic unity". I was also alluding to unity from an emotional perspective. I sense very little emotional connection between Simon and Kristina. That's not to say they don't get on or anything but I feel like the synergy is missing. They could be dancing with anybody, and wouldn't notice or care much if they switched partners! They are merely two people who have been put together, I don't see them as a dancing 'couple'. They don't dance as one. Mind you, I felt the same way about Rachel and Pasha last year and look what was going on there Shocked Wink

Last edited by Sid on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:31 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Correct TANGO but something puzzles me. Even after all those years I still see no entertainment value from the afore-mentioned John Seargeant, Anne Widdecombe and now Scott Mills. No entertainment whatsoever so am I missing something here?

I saw no entertainment in John Sargant, Ann Widdy and Scott M as well. I don't see entertainment with C.raig Kelly too.

I do find Michael Vaughan's unintentional Toy Story Woody-inspired jive VERY entertaining though... Embarassed
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:41 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Correct TANGO but something puzzles me. Even after all those years I still see no entertainment value from the afore-mentioned John Seargeant, Anne Widdecombe and now Scott Mills. No entertainment whatsoever so am I missing something here?

Ah, but you're attempting to bring common sense into the equation C.C. and that isn't allowed. Smile I've only ever watched Strictly right from the start because it was a dance show. It soon became apparent that there were large He is. And we obey him. of folk out there that just wanted a Sunday Night at The London Palladium replacement. and they'd sooner see utter nonsense than dance. The ones I quoted were stand-out examples. The way it's all gone can be seen from the fact that there were only eight couples in the first series.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Yes I see what you are saying now TANGO. As the show expanded and more couples were added a wider variety of celeb was looked for with joke figures flung in there who were not built for dancing but who cares as long as they bring in viewers looking for a laugh.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 3 Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:13 pm

cellar-door wrote:

I saw no entertainment in John Sargant, Ann Widdy and Scott M as well. I don't see entertainment with C.raig Kelly too.

I do find Michael Vaughan's unintentional Toy Story Woody-inspired jive VERY entertaining though... Embarassed

The only saving grace in all this is that eventually the GBP do lose interest in the comedy capers and the duds duly exit before the 'business end' of the contest - I remember about this time last year we were all getting irate with Dave Myers out staying his welcome. I do totally agree however that dance and music choices are shamefully manipulated - they did the same to keep Lisa Riley in the contest for longer than she should have been.

S id - good points about 'dance unity' and chemistry - I don't feel that a lot of the couples this year have true natural chemistry, a lot of the dances are still looking very 'placed' - I am also looking for some more variety of 'style' from some of them before I make up my mind who has truly 'got it'.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:30 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

The only saving grace in all this is that eventually the GBP do lose interest in the comedy capers and the duds duly exit before the 'business end' of the contest - I remember about this time last year we were all getting irate with Dave Myers out staying his welcome.   I do totally agree however that dance and music choices are shamefully manipulated - they did the same to keep Lisa Riley in the contest for longer than she should have been.

S id - good points about 'dance unity' and chemistry -  I don't feel that a lot of the couples this year have true natural chemistry, a lot of the dances are still looking very 'placed' - I am also looking for some more variety of 'style' from some of them before I make up my mind who has truly 'got it'.

Actually, although I STILL don't like them, I think Pixie and Trent have a very good connection. If you look at them on ITT they always look at each other when they speak, rather than address the camera or Zoe (unless they are directly addressing a question asked by Zoe). I think their dances show this synergy and unity too.

I also think KFG and Frankie are working together nicely and have a good relationship. And dare I say it, Ol Housewive's choice and Judy are working well together. Jake and Janette and Caroline and Pasha are so-so, whilst the rest really need to build up a bit more rapport...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 3 Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:56 pm

Yes D and P - the ones you mention are ahead of the others in the chemistry stakes - I think some of the others are getting there and I know what you mean about the TTs - last night I did not see so much of the 'brother and sister' thing - for the first time. I found their first few dances very placed and stylised and each week I am ready to pick fault but find myself doing so less and less. Same with Mark - I almost did not want to like him and I am still wary but he has been right up there the last few weeks, however, I really need to see him do another lyrical/smooth ballroom dance away from the cheeky styles - likewise Jake's routines seem so dark to me - with the exception of the salsa - so I want to see him do more of a variety of styles. Those that stay the course have to be the versatile ones. I also think (as Sax I think said) that the others are catching up with Jake so he needs to step it up a bit.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Yes I'd say Pixie and Trent have developed a good chemistry, maybe that's why I've taken to them more the past couple of weeks. It feels like everything's coming together for them (apart from maybe their popularity?!).
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 3 Empty Halloween Result Show

Post  B4p Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Here we go folks......
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:56 pm

A fair result! L.en didn't agree! Is he mad?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Both the bottom two couples did much better in their dance off. Alison improved her posture in hold, and Scott actually relaxed more and he actually DANCED!

Strangely, I would have wanted to see Steve in the bottom two with Scott, because I am sure he will not freeze again and would have given us a much better performance.

I am really getting really sick of B.runo's antics. Why must he always hog the limelight??? Darcey was trying to show the Paso walk and he must fall, he always falls off chairs etc.. And then all those cruel things he said about Judy on Saturday, and then when Joanne was trying to say good things about Scott he laughed (actually I think he was sneering). Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Oh, I've decided that Alison represented the cumulus cloud when she descended in her AS... Very Happy

Note to Mark Wright: Watch and learn from Steve, that's how a real man should compose himself when he's the last to be called out of the dance-off. It was clear the producers put Steve right at the end because he was very close to Alison in scores on Saturday and he's forgotten most of his Charleston's choreography. But he was cool as a cucumber right till the end...
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:12 pm

saxonsiren wrote:A fair result! L.en didn't agree! Is he mad?

Purely a bit of professionalism. Scott was gone anyway so why kick him in the teeth? I liked The Love God that is Leonard The Lion Goodman for doing that because I'm sure he wouldn't have if the others had voted differently. I could of course, be entirley wrong.. Very Happy

"YER CIME ART ERE AND REELY GIVE IT SOME WELLY. WELL DONE MY SON.....YER....SEVENNNNNNN.!"

The world rights itself and out comes the sun again....... sunny

"Wait a minute, it's stopped raining, guys are swimming, guys are sailing
Sun is shining, this is better, Mother, Father kindly disegard this letter..."

lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:17 pm

So glad that Steve got through. Next weeks dance choices are starting to look critical. Jake and the Rhumba? That should test his acting skills. I think Judy would be best parked on An ton's Dracula high wire next so that she doesn't have to get too close to the dance floor. Illegal lifts seem to be common place over the past 3 weeks so I'm sure the judges won't mind!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:21 pm

It will be interesting to see if Judy escapes the DO next week
Yes Mr T L.en might have been kind re his remarks however it hasn't stopped a clean sweep before and he did vote Thom off!
Why is B.runo such a buffoon at times? And the laugh? I hope it is addressed on ITT next week
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next