Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestions for Strictly Towers Management Team

+7
diamondsandpearls
saxonsiren
hatlady28
Poppetlovestango
1superken
TANGOLERO
B4p
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Suggestions for Strictly Towers Management Team - Page 2 Empty Re: Suggestions for Strictly Towers Management Team

Post  Sid Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:45 pm

lualen wrote:Some good ideas here - and need to have a proper think!

However, one immediately springs to mind. In a 'tie' in the DO, L en has the casting vote - but a tie can only happen when there are an equal number of votes on each side, not 2 - 1. This is not a tie!!! L en effectively always gets his way, unless the other three all agree. Just so wrong.

Know what you mean lualen, it doesn't seem right that 1 of the judges gets 2 votes. I suppose there are only two solutions to that: introduce a fifth judge (but I think that'd make the show just too long, especially in the early weeks with so any couples to comment on) or turn to the viewer vote in the case of a tie, which seems reasonable (even though it's a bit X-Factorish!)
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Strictly Towers Management Team - Page 2 Empty Re: Suggestions for Strictly Towers Management Team

Post  B4p Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:44 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Well if I had to have five minutes with the producers to sell. Ok we already meet a target audience lets get more! Lets add a little "Frozen" Magic for the younger viewers lets have a Disney/Pixar music night
I like the idea of a Disney/Pixar theme week. Lots of adults who are kids at heart (me) as well as little people would enjoy that I'm sure.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Decade Dance - Maybe for one week the celebs could pick out of a hat a decade to represent e.g 1900's, 1920's, 1940's, 1960's etc. Still gives scope to do classic ballroom like Foxtrot & Tango and Jives etc but might make it a bit more random. It sounds like the Pros are given a dance list order at the beginning of the season at the moment so it wouldn't be too far from that but with a slight twist.

Demo's - Instead of having the annual gymnastic show dance demo of two adults tying themselves up in knots, could we have a spot for a couple of teenage champs or junior champs to do a demo?

Word Bingo - Give the judges a secret word that they have to get in during their summing up, then on ITT, Zoe can count how many times it was used and put the judges into a leaderboard situation. Darcey for example, could be challenged to include the word 'picky' when she's giving feedback (I know it would be hard but I'm sure she'd give it a go) then Zoe could tally up how many times Darcey had said 'picky' during the show.

Use the gantry more. No point having it if it's never used.

Just my fantasy and only joking but...
Put a bullseye picture on the back of steadycam man then invite two members of the audience to try and hit a bullseye with laser quest style guns. The closest could win a bottle of plonk or something.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:00 pm

I think that there are some brilliant suggestions on here. However 'Dancing on Ice' tried different formats and ideas but once it was on the wane it did not seem to make any difference - however SCD is still riding high with viewing figures and that is why I can't understand the reasoning behind some of the changes they have recently introduced which are naff - not new and fresh - and make it less appealing rather than more so.

I understand the need to keep things fresh and interesting but but what does SCD do? Tinker about and actually spoil it, the music has taken real dive last season and this, the final does not have the excitement that it used to have, and the amount of cheese in whatever form or another has increased - if they are not careful it will implode and it doesn't take long for things to crash and burn on TV. I fear that the Producers feel they have this invincibility and I think they don't realize that actually GBP in general know their music and are also quite knowledgeable about dance now - the show is beginning to be patronizing in some of what it is serving up - and that is a dangerous road to go down for any show.

As for music - I know we frequently debate this on here and I think it is not about modern versus traditional but it is about good versus C***. Whilst music will always be subjective in terms of what we as individuals think is good or bad - we all manage to come pretty much to a consensus on here about what is good or bad in SCD terms. I think that there is a balance to be struck between using the proper 'mood' music for dances like the AT, Paso, Tango and the latin dances and using some contemporary music for the ballroom dances - but for me the main thing is not whether it is modern or older but whether it really suits the dance being done - or even has a passing association - so that means not dancing an AT to Zorba the Greek or (like we saw last season) dancing a paso to 'I lost my heart to a starship trooper' - You don't even have to be music aficionado to get this - I talk to people at work and other friends who are not diehards and only casual watchers of the show and yet they all to the letter recognise appropriate music and when it is matched up properly with a dance it draws them in as viewers and they remember it - Caroline's AT is being remembered as much for the music as for anything else, because it was simply 'right'.

Anyway - rant over - I think you have all mentioned the changes that I would make so I am repeating them but:

1. Strict rotation of latin and ballroom dances each week - at the moment the choice/pattern of dances is too open to manipulation.
2. 'Technical Challenge' weeks in between the theme weeks or some weeks with two sets of marks for technique and entertainment.
3. Only use backing dancers at Blackpool not in the studio - simply not enough room!
4. Bring back Fusion week - the best new idea done for years on the show and then they didn't repeat it.
5. Like the idea of introducing some different latin dances - the Charleston has been done to death.Perhaps keep these for the latter weeks to build a bit of excitement?
7. Sax's suggestion about one last ITT on the Monday after the final.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:25 pm

Well said mauve. It's the suitability of music that matters more to me than how modern it is. Personally, I'd like more instrumental music used (old or contemporary). I find the absence of vocals can sometimes make you zone in to a performance more, it can be quite atmospheric.

Last edited by Sid on Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:29 pm

Yes I agree S id - I love it when they do an instrumental track - again, really suits certain dances and gives a bit of a balance

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:48 pm

So what exactly do you want? If the show wants to keep its audience, then it needs to remember that the said audience is made up mainly of people who love ballroom based dance. Almost all of us have accepted that it isn't Strictly anything anymore; it's a mish-mash of entertainment and public popularity based around Ballroom and Latin dance. It works, but for how long if they make too many changes? Even off here, the folk I talk too al complain about "messing about with the show"

Something new and fresh? I've several times in the past mentioned the mambo, someone else mentioned Llambada. I'm absolutley with mauveangel in the need for care in what you wish for. It's Strictly in its present format that people watch, simply because for ten years it has delighted the millions because of a tried and tested format. It's the new and fresh bits; the desire to bring in change that gives us silly music choices etc and draws the complaints. Whenever you went to a dance nobody ever announced what music would play, they either just played it or announced a waltz, quickstep, foxtrot etc. The reason people got up was because they recognised and related to the beat and rythmn, the "tempo". Ballroom dance, like all other dance forms has a character of its own. It also has music of its own that doesn't need " Name that tune" to know if it can be danced to. The main priority is that the contestants in the show, in the main, are non-dancers and the less confusing things to learn, the better. They'll probably never do much dancing when the show ends, and it certainly won't be the type taught by the pros for Strictly. The show's standards are so high that the final is between really decent dancers who have learned and mastered the basics and techniques of ballroom and Latin dance. It's worked fine so far.

Look at all the daft diving, gymnastics and A nton's run through plastic walls and diving in water shows. How many viewers did they get, and how long did they last? Strictly has a guaranteed 12 plus million audience every year. Too much experimenting could see a big loss of interest. I'm a great believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I think we should keep that in mind a bit. Take your partners please for the last waltz. We'll be doing it to "Ride of the Valkyres" played on bagpipes. lol!

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Spot on sid. What we need is more instrumental music. I'm off down memory lane and shall resurface on Tango's 'Musical Director Thread'
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:05 am

B4p wrote:Spot on sid. What we need is more instrumental music. I'm off down memory lane and shall resurface on Tango's 'Musical Director Thread'

Start with Artie Shaw doing Begin the Beguine. Never fails... Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:28 am

I adore insturmental. Love the sound score from LOTR and LOTM most of all as a child I grew up listening to Petrr and The Wolf!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:47 am

I thought I would revive this thread Very Happy Ideas and suggestions for the Management

How about this NO Props at all! I know it's mad,incredulous and weird but try it.

How about we return to the old days and show all of the couple this means FEET! I know how could I suggest such a controversial idea! Apparently some viewers like to see their footwork! We could to pacify this have an added Foot cam on the red button. It's ok it will never catch on imagine watching feet too.

Now how about letting the professiona dancers choose their own music each week, bizarre idea I know.

Lastly,for now, how about making the couples dance the entire time no faffing with stairs,balcony etc. I mean after all that training be a shame not to showcase it all!

Ok cheers guys flower
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:09 pm

I'm living in a world I no longer understand. Time to move over. As such, I'm happy to leave it all to the brave new worlders. Good luck with trying to compete with Fred and Ginger, Frank Sinatra and the George Gershwin, Irving Berlin and Richard Rogers etc, Song Books. Thank you Lord for letting me live in a golden age of music and dance...lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:00 am

Please stop the endless, pointless, cheesy VT's. I'm allergic and about to have an adverse reaction. Fans will have seen most of the training VT's on ITT so please don't waste the main show repeating them. I'd rather see an extra singer or Pro dance
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:42 am

B4p wrote:Please stop the endless, pointless, cheesy VT's. I'm allergic and about to have an adverse reaction. Fans will have seen most of the training VT's on ITT so please don't waste the main show repeating them. I'd rather see an extra singer or Pro dance

I agree B4p why not showcase the band and singers? Raise their platform and have a professional couple dance. I recall we had a few professional guest dancers one series would love to see a few different style dances.

The cheesey VT guys should be shoved in a cheese fondue dipped and soaked and advised enough cheese already.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:50 pm

I have said it many times - have two sets of marks. One mark out of ten for technical merit and one out of ten for artistic merit. Also add another judge (maybe An.ton) for next year and have judge's scores counting for two points and viewers scores for one when working out who is in dance-off eliminating the weaker dancers rather than saving the most popular as it is just now.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Just thought of it tonight.....................a compilation programme showing the best of the pro dances over the years - interjected with information about the choreography of each dance, the pro dancers - their careers, influences etc. At the moment we never see these wonderful dance routines again.................

Perhaps a programme to go out after the series has ended?

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 pm

I hate being a stick in the mud or maybe I am a purist but I'd prefer it if the producers were to be very strict on the celebs they get in at the start of the series. They should be strictly be celebs with as close as can be to know dance experience at all as in no dance classes at school or going to dance school post-school years etc etc. I know, I know it will never happen but I can but dream. For me I get far more pleasure out of seeing the celebs actually learning to dance from scratch - starting off with two left feet and wooden as anything but gradually blossoming into recognisable dancers. That should be what Strictly is all about.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Strictly Towers Management Team - Page 2 Empty Re:Suggestions for Strictly Towers Management Team

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:12 pm

Yes I very much agree with your sentiment CC

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:14 pm

.......... I also agree on the two marks concept as well - I think it would make it really interesting and put a different dimension on some things - it might also bring a focus back to the actual basic dance steps expected in the various dances

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:40 am

One for Vicki Gill

If the males are going to be put into the endless jeans and tight trousers, at least get rid of the pockets. Totally unnecessary to have pockets whilst dancing. The pockets stick out like bat's ears and pull the top of the trousers into ugly lines.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:43 am

I'm not sure why they keep the pockets in jeans/trousers possibly keep a lucky penny/rabbit's foot/tissue/hair grip?
The Beeb will not listen to the growing requests for two sets of marks, technical and presentation.
A compilation series be great idea too. Love to see young uk dancers compete in SCD for trophy. A year off SCD be a rest for all and come back fresh or how about a Team SCD series? Celebs in two or three pairs competing team dance and individual to mix up pro and celeb!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:31 pm

I think the idea of the band doing an extra number to show us their talents whilst filling in some time is a great idea
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:23 pm

saxonsiren wrote:I'm not sure why they keep the pockets in jeans/trousers possibly keep a lucky penny/rabbit's  foot/tissue/hair grip?
The Beeb will not listen to the growing requests for two sets of marks, technical  and presentation.
A compilation  series be great idea too. Love to see young uk dancers compete in SCD for trophy. A year off SCD be a rest for all and come back fresh or how about a Team SCD series? Celebs in two or three pairs competing team dance and individual to mix up pro and celeb!

Well that's because they would be marking the bbc employees, ie the producers who choose all inappropriate tunes, the props and extraneous extras, and wardrobe who do the costumes. If everything was chosen by the pro (perhaps with input from the c.leb where appropriate) then we cld truthfully mark the presentation. We can't at the mo because so much is foisted on them.

Having said that, I do privately. Helen scored highest this series on dress-appeal, and Kellie lowest. Anita kept losing marks for Glebisms and loads of them lost DandP points for rubbish music...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Strictly Towers Management Team - Page 2 Empty Suggestions for Strictly Towers 2016

Post  B4p Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:45 pm

My first suggestion -
if we really need a third theme week, I would like to see a different theme for week 11 each year.  I find the Movie week too similar to the Musical one.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:52 pm

I agree a third theme week after Blackpool could work. Possibly a Country theme say Mexican, Portuguese, African ,Indian dance themes.

For me I'd love to see period drama dances again those from P & P era or from Georgian/Tudor England. We seem to have lost these dances,

Or maybe a theme from battles Napoleon, English Civil Wars,

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next