Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of Honesty.

+12
cellar-door
Poppetlovestango
CaledonianCraig
mauveangel09
Twirlie
saxonsiren
TANGOLERO
Sid
Tina Sparkle
B4p
Moova 12
diamondsandpearls
16 posters

Page 2 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 42  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 2 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:46 am

Oh! Tango got there first!

Just shows how in tune we all are this series!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:50 am

Oh - and we also hate rubbish, inappropriate, hard-to-fit-the-dance-to music choices. It detracts from the dancing and makes difficult watching
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:06 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:Oh - and we also hate rubbish, inappropriate, hard-to-fit-the-dance-to music choices. It detracts from the dancing and makes difficult watching

I've just made that same point in Highs and Lows, D&P, so snap, snap and yes, good to see common aggreements. Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Would a red wig suit Helen as a change?
Could ITT please give two costumes to the celeb females and ask viewers  to vote through week for best one!? Does Vicky get the last say over costume design/colours or does some over the top ghastly spotty designer who hates the show get the final sayI love the idea of a no vote off before Blackpool and then a double whammy at Blackpool to make up for it!
Children In Need SCD so short this year but loved Brendan and his partner (forgot actress's  name!) Glad Brendan has another trophy.
I'm hoping Pasha in better trousers as booked tickets for June next year! 3rd row middle seats great stuff. Just wish Alijaz would join in too.
Plus think I'm swimming against the tide this year re SCD and in general No time for tram aol and lie down. Hoping results are correct ones.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:07 pm

Just caught up with last night's show just now. And what a great Charleston from TeamGG - superb, dangerous, fun and fantastic choreography. Worth a 10. Plenty of other strong dances from Peter, Katie, Helen, Anita and Jay, In the dance-off it has to be Jamelia and Jeremy. Jeremy is like Carol last week- he will only survive if he avoids the dance-off all together.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:13 pm

On the matter of things we like and hate, I'm hating being treated like a child who won't get or appreciate dance unless there's a really obvious, in-your-face storyline to it, complete with props and daft costumes. I'm a grown-up, I can cope without the picture storybook. Yes Kevin Clifton I'm glaring at you (but not JUST you).

saxonsiren wrote:
Children In Need SCD so short this year but loved Brendan and his partner (forgot actress's  name!) Glad Brendan has another trophy

Brenda and Laura did a great Jive, sax - I found her more engaging than Helen. Maybe she'd consider a full series sometime? I know he wasn't great but it was nice seeing Stephen McGann take part as well. I do like me a McGann brother Smile
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:21 pm

My thoughts on the main Saturday night show:

Anita - A competent quickstep to a decent music rhythm. A sweet & sour couple for me. I admire Anita’s dancing talents, but I just can’t stand Gleb’s crushing ego. Hope she gets to the final, but worry that Gleb’s head will burst if he ever got his hands on the Glitterball.

Jay - I think he’s holding steady and hope he’s in the final. I wonder if his knee pain will be more of an issue over the next few weeks. I think the Foxtrot is not the easiest, with all it’s changes in tempo’s, heels/toes etc, plus having to lead Aliona. Not a big Sam Smith fan, so didn’t care for the music much.

Jamelia - Can’t work these two out most weeks. Are they going for comedy or a serious theme? Tristan’s a known joker, but not sure Jamelia’s used to having her funny bone tickled, despite all the nervous giggles. Can’t even remember what they were supposed to be dancing. Music unhelpful for a Samba beat. Dance off time again methinks (it's a shame they can't pick up SCD points for being in the dance-off. Maybe 3 dance off saves could get the couple a week of immunity. Wouldn't that put the cat among the pigeons?).

Helen - Still can’t warm to her dancing and she’s coming across as a bit needy for me. I liked some of Alijaz Tango choreography. Thought the Downton wig, and red dress looked ok, but couldn’t get into the Tango vibe with that soft music track.

Katie - Wow. What a classy, elegant Rhumba. Full of dance steps. The best celeb Rhumba I’ve seen in a long time. Katie’s dress was also stunning. She looked like a Bond girl. Well done to An ton (who also looked great in those traditional black POCKETLESS latin trousers) Think Katie’s safe this week.

Kellie - Hated it.  Strictly Come Rap-crap. Kevin’s taking risks and might come unstuck with his theme and music choices over the next few weeks.  She’s got the usual heavy Eastenders day job. I did see a couple of Samba moves, but the whole thing looked more like a parody of so many different dance styles it ended up a minestrone. Don't even get me started on their outfit's. I've seen better in our local charity shops.

Peter - Disappointed in both the VW dance and the singer who forgot to put some guts into the song. Too much time gaffing about at the start as usual. Fragmented, in and out of hold. Not enough drive or swirling around the floor. I don’t usually mind Peter, but even I have to agree this was grossly overmarked

Georgia - Fantabulous. Spent all the time watching her, who I think did the Charleston better than Giovanni. Fabulous choreography. Loved the sparseness of the props. Got to be a finalist.

Jeremy - Quite cross with Karen’s choreography and start to worry if she’s capable of improving. Terrible concept. Rubbish routine. Again the height differences were never going to work for a quickstep. How can you have body contact, when his hip is nearly at her shoulder level? Shame if he goes out on that catalogue of silliness.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Sid wrote:On the matter of things we like and hate, I'm hating being treated like a child who won't get or appreciate dance unless there's a really obvious, in-your-face storyline to it, complete with props and daft costumes. I'm a grown-up, I can cope without the picture storybook. Yes Kevin Clifton I'm glaring at you (but not JUST you).

See, this is where Karen went all wrong last night Sid. She use the Underground track and tried to explain it by taking us all ( including poor Jeremy) down a coal mine......eh? Wow. If any explanation of what the underground of the track was needed ( and I wouldn't know why unless the average audience age is nine) all it required would have been a sign at the top of the stairs with an arrow pointing down and stating "Down"..or just do the dance in a low lit club surround by "Ban everything" signs....or not. Awful choice of both music and theme.....Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:45 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

See, this is where Karen went all wrong last night Sid. She use the Underground track and tried to explain it by taking us all ( including poor Jeremy) down a coal mine......eh? Wow. If any explanation of what the underground of the track was needed ( and I wouldn't know why unless the average audience age is nine) all it required would have been a sign at the top of the stairs with an arrow pointing down and stating "Down"..or just do the dance in a low lit club surround by "Ban everything" signs....or not. Awful choice of both music and theme.....Wink

Definitely. However, the dance itself however it had been choreographed would still have shown Jeremy up for what he is - the weakest dancer left in the contest at the moment.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:51 pm

You're right CC but I think his fan base would have stayed strong if Karen hadn't made the error of judgement of going down the comedy route. I fear they may have deserted him after that....we'll see later. I still think that he's going to avoid the DO!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:10 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:You're right CC  but I think his fan base would have stayed strong if Karen hadn't made the error of judgement of going down the comedy route. I fear they may have deserted him after that....we'll see later. I still think that he's going to avoid the DO!

I suppose it depends on the view point. However, strong his fan base it shouldn't detract from the obvious fact he is the weakest dancer left in. That being the case it should be time for him to go much as I love his cheery disposition and great enthusiasm for the strictly experience.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:49 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

I suppose it depends on the view point. However, strong his fan base it shouldn't detract from the obvious fact he is the weakest dancer left in. That being the case it should be time for him to go much as I love his cheery disposition and great enthusiasm for the strictly experience.

For me, I already have an idea of the final four I want to see. I don't really care the order in which the other would- bes are eliminated as long as the "good" dancers don't get stitched up. Having said that, even though he is now the worst dancer left, I would rather see Jezza than Jamelia next week because I dont connect with her at all.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:08 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

Exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about Mr T. It's moving beyond literal interpretations of songs (bad enough) to altogether new and far-fetched ones (even worse) - for distraction and laughs in Jeremy's case. I don't mind too much with the Latin but I'd have liked Karen to play it straight with their Ballroom. Last night was taking the pee. I wonder how much is down to her though, and how much is down to producers who 'request' a particular concept or theme for 'entertainement value' as they try to diversify their audience and move away from strict, elegant Ballroom dancing. I just find it dumbed down and cheesy. I know it was only brief, but didn't like the start of Anita and Gleb's QS for the same reason - the "blind date" scenario was silly and unnecessary, just skip over that part and get on with the dance!

Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:28 pm

B4p wrote:
Jay -Not a big Sam Smith fan, so didn’t care for the music much.

Kellie - She’s got the usual heavy Eastenders day job.

Peter - Fragmented, in and out of hold.

Good point re: Sam Smith, B4. I find his music turgid and boring and wonder how much that contributed to my disinterest in Jay's Foxtrot.

Fragmented is exactly the right word for the VW Janette's put together.

As for Kellie, I read an interview in which she said Eastenders bosses actually offered to cut her schedule down to give her more time to train for Strictly but she declined. I don't know whether it's because she wants to play the martyr but seems odd she wouldn't accept a lighter schedule at Eastenders while doing the show. Making life needlessly more difficult for herself (and Kevin)
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:57 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Pretty sure everyone agrees on the order of merit C.C. I would think it a bit immaterial whether Jamelia or Jeremy goes this week or next as long as they both do, except for the Blackpool angle. It must mean a lot to all the contestants to appear at the Tower Ballroom (let's face it, Blackpool itself this weather is about as enticing as walnut pickling in an ice bath. I was there a few weeks back and the resort went to the dogs long ago). The Tower Ballroom is unique in ballroom lore, even to the southern high flyers. Wink I mentioned elsewhere that the pre-Blackpool week should be elimination free as a reward for getting there.  Wish they would do that.

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:16 pm

Definitely. The Tower Ballroom is, I suppose, like Wembley is to footballers, The Crucible is to snooker players and Caesar's Palce is to boxers. It is the place to be.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Sid wrote:
I do like off-the-dancefloor Helen [...] she seems slightly bonkers (in a good way!).

True! lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by Twirlie on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 2 Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Another late post for me against this week- I watched the show live but I was at my Mums with no pc - so was itching to post my comments but had to write it all down......... Laughing Interesting to read all your comments and as has been said - a lot of common themes of agreement so I'll try to find something a bit different to say......

For me it was another 'coasting' week (with the exception of K atie and A nton and G and G) the good ones were good again but no-one else really took any steps forward for me and the same old faults were being pointed out by the judges but they are not being corrected - felt most people were relying on the 'look' of their pieces and dare I say 'performance' to get through this week. Most of them I wanted to give either a 7 or an 8. I want to have a beef about the emerging issue of people doing a' faffing about' section out of hold in the middle of a ballroom dance - we have accepted the faffing at the beginning and sometimes the end of ballroom dances and sometimes it really works and adds to the dance - but I think if they are doing a dance that should be in hold when it gets going then this is what should happen except for a few twists and twirls and breaks. Last night for me both A nita and G leb and P eter and J anette did routines that both verged on being American Smooths with the amount of time they spent out of hold. I think in the case of P eter and J anette one of the judges commented upon it (can't remember who - I didn't make note). That's not to say I didn't enjoy the routines but I want to see dances with distinct character - not a lot of wafting about ( Jay and Aliona did a bit of this too!)

A nita and G leb - 8 - I found it a bit of a strange one and I didn't think it was very traditional. I felt A nita was excellent as always but in actual fact I thought that this wasn't quite G leb's dance and he was making a real effort to capture the QS feel - I felt as a pro he was a bit heavy footed at times but overall it was enjoyable - bit too much out of hold for me.

Jay and A liona - 7 - Will everyone on SCD stop wrapping him up in cotton wool!!! Stumbles really aren't acceptable to me at this stage of the contest. That aside - it was a lovely lyrical routine well put together by A liona - good toplines but had that balletic Matt Baker feel instead of being down into the floor - sorry T ango I agree with the judges 'face' comments........they are great dancers but he needs to take a real step forward now.

Jamelia and Tristan - 6 - good fun, strangely I thought that the music worked. It didn't dazzle and was very lacking in samba technique but she was gyrating for all she was worth - however like all her dances the energy dropped towards the end and I don't think she will improve any more now although they were clearly enjoying themselves last night.

Helen and Alijaz- 7 - Really had a problem with this one and I realize I am out of kilter with most people's views on here. I felt she was like a wooden doll in parts and it was as though Alijaz was propelling her round the floor. Yes her hair looked better but I thought she had a weird expression on her face at times. There were some good bits and I think the track was possibly one of the worst choices for a Tango ever- and it must have been hard for them to dance to it - as touched upon by CRH - so all credit to her for making something decent out of it.

A nton and Katie - 9 - Clever A nton must have been listening to all the judges comments this season about rhumbas having no rhumba content - boy did he put some in tonight and more!! Classic and elegant she tackled the rhumba walks, had hip movement, finished every move precisely, made the dance flow round the floor (instead of being static like many rhumbas we see) and I thought it was exquisite - well done. CRH was mean with the 7 IMO.

K ellie and Kevin - 7 - Heinous (only gave it a 7 because of their general dance ability) a marmite routine which reminded me of the Mark Benton and Iveta cha cha. Really disliked it - didn't help that Kevin looked like a character from the Beano rather than a cool hip hopper. Worst costume of the night prize for the second week running.

P eter and Janette - 8 - see above - if they hadn't done the floor sweep at the end they could have got in another VW rotation.
Felt the judges comments didn't really match the marks - shoring him up for Blackpool?

Georgia and Giovanni - 10 - It has all been said already by all of you - easily the best dance of the night and up for one of the stand out routines of the series. These two have really taken off and are now my favourites - starting with 'ghostbusters' I think they turned a corner last week and this week just cemented it. I had put question marks over some of Gio's choreography in the early part of the series but last night really showcased Georgia which I liked - I think Gio has now found his stride on the choreography front.

J eremy and K aren - 5 - Can't add any more to what people have already said. Yes he always tries hard. What a really odd and abstract theme confused confused

All my votes went to K atie and A nton tonight as I don't think that G and G would need them......................... Very Happy

!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:51 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:
A nton and Katie - 9 - Clever A nton  must have been listening to all the judges comments this season about rhumbas having no rhumba content - boy did he put some in tonight and more!!  Classic and elegant she tackled the rhumba walks, had hip movement, finished every move precisely, made the dance flow round the floor   (instead of being static like many rhumbas we see) and I thought it was exquisite - well done.  CRH was mean with the 7 IMO.

Clever indeed, in spotting that the dance doesn't need a monlit beach and swaying palms theme to be a rumba. He simply took the story up-market, got Katie to be dressed for Breakfast at Tiffany's and concentrated on filling the dance with accepted rumba content. The story leant itself just as well in Mayfair as in Copacabana and the proof was in everyone's reaction. Well worth four eights, and maybe an odd nine for it's uncluttered elegance. Well done both.....cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:55 pm

I always love An.ton's reaction when he gets good compliments from the judges and high scores - he revels in it which I like to see. Similarly, when there are negative remarks and low scores he laughs it off and makes light of it or even jokes at their own laxity. Refreshing.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:54 pm

There are some comments going around about how we all have similar views on these forums.  Well, not necessarily so!

What's wrong with Helen's legs? Someone said they were coltish. What's wrong with them being coltish? I like coltish! Lots of dancers have coltish legs. And unfeasible? Sorry diamondsandpearls but what does it mean to have unfeasibly long legs? They're her legs. Perfectly feasible and there have been plenty of long legs in the past, Jerry Hall, Alesha Dixon, Abby Clancy, Jodie Kidd to name a few!

A lot of people go on about Kellie's costumes as well. I like Kellie and Kevin's costumes and didn't think they were in the slightest ugly. I liked them last week too. Bright, colourful, off the wall! Certainly not like Carol's costumes which were always staid and designed to emphasise the “middle-aged lady.” The Beeb never did right by Carol I didn't think.

Just a couple of things,and neither of them life or death, but there you are!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:08 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:Jay and A liona - 7 - Will everyone on SCD stop wrapping him up in cotton wool!!!

Yes! I can't lie, the woobie face after each performance and subsequent mollycoddling is getting on my nerves a bit (sorry Jay fans!)

TANGOLERO wrote:Clever indeed, in spotting that the dance doesn't need a monlit beach and swaying palms theme to be a rumba. He simply took the story up-market, got Katie to be dressed for Breakfast at Tiffany's and concentrated on filling the dance with accepted rumba content. The story leant itself just as well in Mayfair as in Copacabana and the proof was in everyone's reaction. Well worth four eights, and maybe an odd nine for it's uncluttered elegance. Well done both.....cheers

And they have AS for Blackpool....I smell 10s! Maybe I was too rash in writing them off. Their dark days look to be behind them; they could be on course for the final and the final 3. Foxtrot, Waltz, Charleston...a dream set of dances ahead. If A.nton was responsible for the order of their dances, he's been quite clever.

Twirlie wrote:
Someone said they were coltish. What's wrong with them being coltish? I like coltish! Lots of dancers have coltish legs.

Guilty! Embarassed

I luuuuurve long legs, Twirlie. But Helens - whilst they'd look exquisite if she were ballet dancing - always look too straight and wooden for her Latin dances (and in the Tango where the legs are supposed to be flexed all the way through). It gives a slightly odd overall look. But when she's finished dancing, I adore her legs again Razz

Katie's long-legged and she's done ballet too, but not as extensively. She seems able to flex her legs more.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Twirlie wrote:There are some comments going around about how we all have similar views on these forums.  Well, not necessarily so!

What's wrong with Helen's legs? Someone said they were coltish. What's wrong with them being coltish? I like coltish! Lots of dancers have coltish legs. And unfeasible? Sorry diamondsandpearls but what does it mean to have unfeasibly long legs? They're her legs. Perfectly feasible and there have been plenty of long legs in the past, Jerry Hall, Alesha Dixon, Abby Clancy, Jodie Kidd to name a few!

A lot of people go on about Kellie's costumes as well. I like Kellie and Kevin's costumes and didn't think they were in the slightest ugly. I liked them last week too. Bright, colourful, off the wall! Certainly not like Carol's costumes which were always staid and designed to emphasise the “middle-aged lady.” The Beeb never did right by Carol I didn't think.

Just a couple of things,and neither of them life or death, but there you are!

LOL! Laughing

It's good to disagree too. I had just noticed several themes coming up and thought it interesting.

To be honest, I was being a little flippant re Helen - I am v envious indeed of luscious long legs. Unfeasible was clearly not the right word as she has them, so therefore they are feasible! But they just look (to me) a bit too long on occasion to bring elegance to the dance. But on other occasions they are an valuable asset to the dance (loved them in last week's non rumba rumba for example)

But I stand by Kellie's costumes being ugly. I only like uber glamour and glitz and it was entirely the dresses which got me into Strictly in the first place. I like shades of Ginger, Audrey, Rita etc. Early 90s (which looked more like late 80's) street style is not the old school glamour I crave. Don't say it is wrong. Just don't like it.

Actually, I lied! It really DOES matter to my enjoyment of the dance that the outfit reflects the nature of the dance. Early 90s street style doesn't say samba to me. Sorry :-(
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:15 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:
Actually, I lied! It really DOES matter to my enjoyment of the dance that the outfit reflects the nature of the dance. Early 90s street style doesn't say samba to me. Sorry :-(
Please don't apologise - I understand perfectly. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. - Page 2 Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:26 pm

Right result tonight and Jamelia gets a bonus ride to Blackpool............to be honest I only really cared if Georgia and Giovanni and  K atie and A nton got there and as they were called out first and second it made the rest of the programme more relaxed for me.  I do think however that J eremy and K aren wanted it more than Jamelia and Tristan.   I thought that there might have been a shock DO tonight, but as we always say - things always work themselves out at some point with the comedy acts before the business end of the contest starts............Let the competition begin................

On the subject of costumes - I really liked C laudia's dress on Saturday night - lovely colour and it was one of the best that she has ever worn IMO - better than Tess in fact.

You know someone needs to have a word with Mr and Mrs Clifton about their continued over-use of 'themes' - themes do have a place at certain times but their having to have one in every single solitary dance that they give their celebrities is getting tiresome and at times  (like with J eremy this weekend) tenuous - they seem to do it regardless of the ability of their partner -  (K aren with Mark last year and K evin with everyone he has had thus far).  Why must they persist? Don't they watch their colleagues?  Why can't they have the courage of letting a dance speak for itself?????

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22 ... 42  Next