Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2020 Same Sex Partners

+2
TANGOLERO
B4p
6 posters

Go down

SCD 2020 Same Sex Partners Empty SCD 2020 Same Sex Partners

Post  B4p Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Any thoughts on the logistics of this for next year? Shocked
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD 2020 Same Sex Partners Empty Re: SCD 2020 Same Sex Partners

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 pm

Okay, nothing personal, but you asked, so I'll be brave: Why?........ We live in a mixed up world and Strictly is the Saturday Night Blue Peter on one hand with kids now ruling the audience roost, and pure dance lovers on the other. Why add a third element that's quite clearly a sex-dominated topic that's just bound to light fireworks and risk screwing up the most successful show on T.V? ? . Neither should have any bearing on a dance contest that is weekend entertainment to millions of all ages and has run as highly successful on it's own merits for what, 12-13 years? . What's the point of it all? My only real comment would be why? Why spoil a family format that works without controversy, for one to please an obviously sexually walk-on-eggshells minefield element? And then there's the religious angle, of course, because Catholics and Muslims don't watch Strictly, do they? . The internet trolls will have a weekly field day of abuse and controversy. It may be claimed sex and romance won't figure, really? Imagine non-romance Rumbas and Sambas, or sexless tangos, yeah right.  

lt's Pointless even having views on something so controversial even as a topic.; you're bound to upset somebody whichever way you jump. Just my view, but all good things come to an end and I feel the Strictly we knew is about to do just that.  Leave well enough alone. It's a ballroom dance show not a human rights convention. Well, you did ask!. Smile
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:13 am

Thanks for that Tango. I'm interested in any kind of viewpoint.

I'm not sure what I think about the idea really. I'm not fervently anti, but then again, I've also been asking 'why change the format'.

I'm puzzled as to how it would be organised.
Would it be one couple per series?
Would the female pro for example, take the traditional male steps and lead in a ballroom dance like a Foxtrot?
Would the male pro take on the female steps? I wonder what the pros think of the idea.

I've seen groups of males dance the Paso and it was impressive.
I've seen 2 men dance an Argentine tango, and it looked weird, a bit like sword fencing or chess playing, not the usual atmosphere at all.
I can't get my head around a same sex Rumba.
I think it could work in some of the latin dances where there is a lot of side by side sections, like in a Jive, or Cha-Cha.

Would 2 males be all about the weight lifting type lifts?
Would the females still do some sort of lift?

How would the couple be scored? How could a comparison be made?

The whole idea has left me scratching my head. Usually, I've got a good imagination, but this has got me puzzled more than anything.

Maybe someone else has experienced another country who have same sex dancing couples?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:26 am

Hi B4p. The Argentine Tango, any tango form in its country of origin , was often danced by two males, as practise, because the women partners were either ladies of the night, or ladies out for a night. The only chance the poorer elements of the canning and meat industries of Argentina had of meeting women was in the night clubs or dance halls, so men practised together and violence, fist or knife-fights wasn't unknown. In some Scandinavian countries male partner dancing has been popular for years, but that's their culture and probably confined to certain areas or venues.. Over here?
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:25 am

TANGOLERO wrote:Okay, nothing personal, but you asked, so I'll be brave: Why?........ We live in a mixed up world and Strictly is the Saturday Night Blue Peter on one hand with kids now ruling the audience roost, and pure dance lovers on the other. Why add a third element that's quite clearly a sex-dominated topic that's just bound to light fireworks and risk screwing up the most successful show on T.V? ? . Neither should have any bearing on a dance contest that is weekend entertainment to millions of all ages and has run as highly successful on it's own merits for what, 12-13 years? . What's the point of it all? My only real comment would be why? Why spoil a family format that works without controversy, for one to please an obviously sexually walk-on-eggshells minefield element? And then there's the religious angle, of course, because Catholics and Muslims don't watch Strictly, do they? . The internet trolls will have a weekly field day of abuse and controversy. It may be claimed sex and romance won't figure, really? Imagine non-romance Rumbas and Sambas, or sexless tangos, yeah right.  

lt's Pointless even having views on something so controversial even as a topic.; you're bound to upset somebody whichever way you jump. Just my view, but all good things come to an end and I feel the Strictly we knew is about to do just that.  Leave well enough alone. It's a ballroom dance show not a human rights convention. Well, you did ask!. Smile

I do have to agree with this viewpoint.

It may court some controversy with perhaps the LGBT society keeping it as it is but it would court far more controversy if it were introduced. Just my view.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 pm

To correct a previous error; it's actually 15 years since Strictly started, not 13. Apologies as I guessed without checking. Still seems like yesterday. (-:
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:40 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:It may court some controversy with perhaps the LGBT society keeping it as it is but it would court far more controversy if it were introduced. Just my view.

Thanks for the reply CC. As far as I understand, they're introducing it from next year
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:55 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Hi B4p. The Argentine Tango, any tango form in its country of origin , was often danced by two males, as practise, because the women partners were either ladies of the night, or ladies out for a night. The only chance the poorer elements of the canning and meat industries of Argentina had of meeting women was in the night clubs or dance halls, so men practised together and violence, fist or knife-fights wasn't unknown. In some Scandinavian countries male partner dancing has been popular for years, but that's their culture and probably confined to certain areas or venues.. Over here?

I think what struck me when watching the two men AT Tango was that the whole atmosphere of the dance seemed to change. The female following the male lead seemed to change into a cat and mouse type compettive situation, with 'my footwork is faster than yours' type of feeling.

I remember a few years ago when SSSSCccccccottttttt did a waltz that wasn't elegant, light, and fluffy, in fact it was dark, moody, and had a frisson of danger. I actually loved it, but I know many others were not happy with the character of the dance being altered.

I'm guessing the first 'lab rat' will have a big social following to help counter act any negative backlash.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:22 pm

B4p wrote:

I think what struck me when watching the two men AT Tango was that the whole atmosphere of the dance seemed to change. The female following the male lead seemed to change into a cat and mouse type compettive situation, with 'my footwork is faster than yours' type of feeling. I remember a few years ago when SSSSCccccccottttttt did a waltz that wasn't elegant, light, and fluffy, in fact it was dark, moody, and had a frisson of danger. I actually loved it, but I know many others were not happy with the character of the dance being altered.I'm guessing the first 'lab rat' will have a big social following to help counter act any negative backlash.

I'm thinking that choreography will be the issue rather then just dance art or basic values, B4p. Again, que sera, but is the change needed? Thankfully the answer to that won't affect me in any way at my age. I have actually shared the floor (with a female partner) and with two males dancing cha-cha together in the Palais documentary the Bubble Bath Company did for T.V. That bit wasn't highlighted at the time, but it happened and they got applauded because it was a light dance and fun. On nation al T.V, the reception in some quarters might be decidedly different. Why risk finding out except to prove the old dictum "There's no such thing as bad publicity". Maybe that's what the producers want.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:55 am

B4p wrote:

Thanks for the reply CC. As far as I understand, they're introducing it from next year

Ah right I never knew that.

Another reason I think it is unwise ids that it opens up a can of worms in views of marking or voting. Say, for example, this man/man couple or woman/woman couple get low scores I can see it being blamed for people being homophobic instead of a dance being judged fairly on its merits. That sort of thing would just detract from the whole show.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Good points C.C. Thinking on this topic it might actually have a bearing on indicating where we are as a country today. Wikipedia claims that 49% of UK is irreligious, which is an indication itself of the amount of people who today see pleasing themselves ( within the law of course)as a behavioural option of choice not constrained by any morality. Then again, there are several other religions here now that are comparatively recent ut growing in number. If Strictly were not a national T.V show of massive popularity the issue would be less in the limelight. I still feel the producers are playing with fire with this same sex option. I may, of course, be entirely wrong, but I'd welcome some more views as I'm sure was B4p's original intent.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Also what is the purpose of it.

I mean I am certain Strictly has had its fair share of gay celebrities take part and has gay judges too so it is very liberal on that front. One of the ex-pros Robin Windsor married his partner in a same sex marriage too when he was still on the show so no claims could be made of it being a homophobic show. I just think same sex partners is a step too far. Also by doing this it changes dynamics of the show. Presumably, that same sex partnership will be pre-ordained as some of the pros may be uncomfortable dancing with a same sex partner.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:48 pm

TANGOLERO wrote: I may, of course, be entirely wrong, but I'd welcome some more views as I'm sure was B4p's original intent.
Yes Tango it was. I didn't put the thread up to sensationalise, or be provocative. I'm genuinely interested in other people's view points and exprience on this topic.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:46 pm

B4p wrote:
Yes Tango it was. I didn't put the thread up to sensationalise, or be provocative. I'm genuinely interested in other people's view points and exprience on this topic.

I'm glad you did B4p as, like C.C I had no idea the topic even existed. Again, like C.C's question, what's the purpose of it?
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:02 pm

All interesting opinions, and not a million miles away from my own. I've pondered on this subject for a while, but can't get that enthused one way or the other.  I think part of my problem is I don't really trust the BBC in their motives. I thought the same-sex pro dance last year worked very well in an understated sort of way, but I'd worry that a same-sex partnership would be hyped up into a novelty or a deliberate controversy by the BBC.  Dunno, I just find the BBC a little hypocritical at times. Like, when they decided to introduce a female Dr Who to appear all equal and into women's rights, but in reality continue to pay their male presenters much more for doing the same job as the women. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I agree with the idea of same sex partnerships in principle, but I'd worry that the BBC's motives for doing it are all wrong.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:55 am

In the beginning there was Adam (a man) and Eve (a woman) and Adam said to her, "May I have this dance? and she said "Yes". Music maestro please. Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:52 pm

I reckon that in true Beeb style they will just pay lip service to it so that they seem to be 'doing the right thing' (cynical moi?) Maybe one token couple in the first year? No rumba Laughing I've got nothing against it - I enjoy watching ballroom or latin either way and quite like the creativity of the dynamic of two males. If you think about ballroom and latin, at most dance clubs and dance classes since time immemorial you get two women dancing together (I know that's mainly due to a shortage of male partners) but if two women get up and dance together at any social event no-one bats an eyelid or questions their sexuality one way or another - however it is somehow different with males - (just an observation). I agree it would be difficult logistically and some dances definitely suit same sex more than others - the paso for example draws on the male/female dynamic plus you've got to find celebs that actually want to dance with someone of the same sex - it doesn't matter what persuasion you are, a lot of people just want to ballroom or latin with the opposite sex. Interesting times...………...…...…...

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:18 pm

For me I have a similar view to Tango aka Mr Darcy post. If we had a same sex SCD please have it as a series as its harder to me judge same dance between 2 males, A male & female or 2 females. Much prefer whole series . Tbh if discussing same sex couples then why not Transgender or Trans Queer? Or
Same sex couples maybe different night at a later time? We will all have different views and not even starting re Religion and SCD. Shocked
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down