Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 Gowns, Glamour & Glitz

5 posters

Go down

2021 Gowns, Glamour & Glitz Empty 2021 Gowns, Glamour & Glitz

Post  B4p Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:22 pm

Hoping Diamonds will be willing to create some discussion some for this thread.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

2021 Gowns, Glamour & Glitz Empty Re: 2021 Gowns, Glamour & Glitz

Post  saxonsiren Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:24 pm

oh me too bounce . Love, love to read Diamonds critique.
She reminds me so much of Marian Keys with her wonderful wit and warmth to her posts...
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:29 pm

It's a good job we have some people that can critique the outfits. I'm just a black/white type person, I know what I like, and what I think looks like a dogs dinner!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:19 pm

Just to start the ball rolling until Diamonds has had time to prepare one of her wonderful reviews -

My favourite dresses were Kate's midnight blue tango dress, and Rose's rainbow candy coloured bugle bead latin dress.

I also liked the dark blue dress that Sara' wore and thought she looked lovely.

I thought the men wearing suits looked very dapper, and I hope wardrobe has thrown out the old stock of denims and jeans. It really does make a great visual contrast when the latin and ballroom outfits look like the description on the tin.

Robert's suit looked like roadkill, or some ghastly 1970s flock wallpaper - Hilda Ogden attempts to go posh. His ankle snapping trousers were very distracting.

Tom wore a suit for his Cha-Cha, whilst Adam got the see through black frontless shirt and latin trousers for his Cha-Cha - come on - is that how it's going to be?

At least Greg got his top hat and tails for his A.Smooth.
B4p
B4p

saxonsiren likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 pm

Not sure I can deliver with a wonderful review, but thank you for the nice compliment (You are a very good reviewer yourself, especially on the dances themselves).

To be honest, even though it was only last night, I am already hazy on the outfits. Which I think is a review in itself: unmemorable. When you look back at some previous series, not necessarily just the early ones, there have been some real FROCKS. The ones that make them look like a film star or a princess, which is surely the whole point? Even Karen's AS dress, which for my money was the best of the night, wasn't as special as it could have been. And as for Nancy's VW dress... hmph.

Interesting you point out the contrast between Tom's Cha Cha Cha outfit and Adam's. I think a less transparent/more buttoned up version of Adam's is more usual/authentic to be fair, but I think Adam is a narcissist and wants everyone to see everything his physique has to offer. Tom on the other hand is much more reticent - I think he perhaps needs to loosen up a little (clothes wise I mean) whilst Adam needs to do a Danny Mac and tantalise us for most of the series and then let his pecs loose with an open shirt just when it will make most impact, a la Danny's Samba in week... ten? (possibly eleven; it was a long time ago in Strictly years). Less is always more. Always.

Audi had some nice featherage but I felt they had already done white with feathers on Karen and it would have been nice for one of them to be a different colour.

I genuinely didn;t notice Katie or know who she was or what she wore because Gorka in that Tango suit was mesmerising and it was everything a Tango suit should be... But checking photos, I agree with B4 that it was quite a good and flattering tango dress. For some irrational reason I don't like blue for a tango though. The one thing that did alarm me is that they had pulled her hair back so tight tht her forehead practically went right up and then back down th other side to her neck. It was not a flattering or good look. Bit mean...

I totally agree that Sara's dress was rather nice (I liked the blue on hs occasion) and looked right for the dance as wel ascomfortable and flattering.

I think I said on the other thread that I loved the fringey dresses that Rose and AJ wore. I liked the carwash element on Rose's best (really LONG fringe which totally waved about as she moved) but I preferred the gold of AJ's (I mean, GOLD...!). They were both proper latin dance dresses, befitting of the jive. Something the gorgeous Lilya might have worn.

Dan was dapper in his his suit and Nadiya's red playsuit was rather fetching but I would have given it much wider, more flowing legs. (I am now totally afor Nadiya. If any of you are old enough to remember her first couple of series I was very sniffy and agin her. How times change.)

I was disappointed with Amy. It was terribly pedestrian and dull. She normally knows how to get the best out of Vicky Giggles and the Gang. I suggest she stocks up on some homemade brownies and tries a bit harder when she returns from isolation.

Odu and Oti... hmmm. Barbie pink and camaflage colours. Not my favourite and they didn't tie in together at all.

Dianne usually looks pants, and this week didn't disappoint. She is the opposite to Amy with her Vicky-whispering skills. I think one only needs to look at her hair to realise that she has no real taste... Not even going there with Robert's outfit.

The two J's looked amazing in black, bloccky tango suits. I can see why you would want a bit of sparkle to break it up and make it easier to see, but can we have purple? You know how I feel about blue for a tango. Purple is perfect.

As I say, the rest were all a bit forgettable. I am hoping things pick up a bit in the coming weeks otherwise I shall seriously have to re-consider watching Strictly, given that it is 68% of the reason I watch (the other 32% of reason is equally distributed between Oti, Johannes, Gorka and Giovanni). There is a distinct lack of crystals, sequins, crin, chiffon layers and godets (my personal favourite; I don't believe one should ever be out in public without decent godetage) and only a few feathers and a bit of chiffon overlay. Just not enough sparkle and glamour - apart from Adam. Perhaps he's hogged all the glitter budget?

The dress of the night was, incredibly, Tess's red halter neck. That's the second week in a row she has looked phenomenal. I don't know what is going on, but I like it.

Now all we need to do is renegotiate Claud's contract so that her clothes are designed to fit her, rather than a bigger woman entirely...

Such fun!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:07 pm

saxonsiren wrote:oh me too bounce . Love, love to read Diamonds critique.
She reminds me so much of Marian Keys with her wonderful wit and warmth to her posts...

Me too! Your reviews are much appreciated Diamonds Very Happy
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:14 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:I think I said on the other thread that I loved the fringey dresses that Rose and AJ wore. I liked the carwash element on Rose's best (really LONG fringe which totally waved about as she moved) but I preferred the gold of AJ's (I mean, GOLD...!).  They were both proper latin dance dresses, befitting of the jive. Something the gorgeous Lilya might have worn.

I was convinced that they'd recycled that gold jive outfit from Alexandra Burke's Proud Mary jive.  When I checked back, Alexandra's outfit was silver rather than gold, although an almost identical design.

Dress of the night for me was Katie's tango dress, despite being blue.

The two fashion disasters of the night imo were Robert's red comedy outfit, and also Nina's samba dress which was dominated by a giant frill.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:21 pm

saxonsiren wrote:oh me too bounce . Love, love to read Diamonds critique.

I have never been so flattered in my entire life! Absolutely undeserved - if only I could aspire to a fraction of her talent and attainment...

I am truly not worthy. But thank you!

(and to Jingle too Smile )
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:30 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:
I am truly not worthy. But thank you!
You are a highly valued member of our Strictly band, with a crucial role, so do not even think of reconsidering whether or not to continue watching the programme. How else will the lost and confused know a gourmet from a Gaudet!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:33 pm

jingle wrote:

I was convinced that they'd recycled that gold jive outfit from Alexandra Burke's Proud Mary jive.  When I checked back, Alexandra's outfit was silver rather than gold, although an almost identical design.

Dress of the night for me was Katie's tango dress, despite being blue.

The two fashion disasters of the night imo were Robert's red comedy outfit, and also Nina's samba dress which was dominated by a giant frill.

I too thought of Alex's Proud Mary dress Interesting that you checked and it was silver!

On reflection, I agree that actually, the tango dress was probably the best appropriate-to-the-dance dress (Karen's lacked layers), despite it's blueness... It was the proper cut, it had sparkle, it said ballroom, it said tango (apart from being blue, obviously).

Do you know, I am on the fence about Nina's dress? (It's getting a bit uncomfortable to be honest). I can totally see what you and others are saying about the massive frill, but... it's SAMBA (or if you are A nton SAHHMBA) and there are meant to be frills and frous. Usually these are worn scattered about the body - wrists, neckline, backside - but they clearly wanted to give Nadia a slightly more modest, more covering sort of dress and maybe the frills around and about might have looked Mumsy/frumpy (I genuinely don't know without seeing it on). So mabe the solution was to make one mahoosive frill and focus it on the whole front of the dress. I don't know. Not convinced I actually like it, but just think I might have liked the alternatives even less.

Now if you don't mind I am getting down of this fence; I'm sore. Which means I have to come down on one side or another...

I'm going with... I quite liked it (in a funny sort of way).

Phew! That's better.

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:43 pm

B4p wrote:
You are a highly valued member of our Strictly band, with a crucial role, so do not even think of reconsidering whether or not to continue watching the programme. How else will the lost and confused know a gourmet from a Gaudet!

You are also too kind. I think we all have a crucial role and that is why this is the lovely place it is.

I was kind of joking about not watching Strictly - just wanted to make it clear how dissatisfied and distressed I am with the dresses so far. Vicky needs to step up her game!

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:35 pm

Read this thread with interest only, as I couldn't add anything sensible to it. My preferred style of dress for gents went out with Jason King (Peter Wyngarde) ..... lol!2021 Gowns, Glamour & Glitz King_212

Last edited by TANGOLERO on Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:48 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : ADDED IMAGE.)
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:59 am

Well we have had a few Rhum costumes this year from Wardrobe..Adams pin stripe suit as in group mentioned " A prison suit" Shocked

What did they do to Sara's hair affraid Think someone in Hair Dept had a mare of a day and Sara's hair copped it!
I wish for the long tails, the layers of frothy Chiffon. Gorgeous Silk bodices and 1000's of Gemstones and Seequins sewn on by hand!
The hairstyles swept up in beautiful Chigons or delicate curls pinned. Im even missing F.lavia & O
la's Jumpsuits.

Sorry Beeb I know Dances & Music & Costumes evolve however when it changes the esscence of the Dance and Wardrobe looks like Primarks rejects its ruined the whole elegance, style of the Show
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

mauveangel09 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down