Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly Books

+33
Poppetlovestango
jingle
saxonsiren
Lucielle
LOST-TANGO
lualen
2toTango
bluecat
salsarae
Kytiara
Toby Jugg
Admin
ewoodie
Alder
David Tee
ladycat
sparklysheila
133-230-44039-18180-800
Pat Shed
MrsArcanum
TompsHB
Mila
fkaIgor *LT*
Mslightfoot
TANGOLERO
allsewnonbyhand
Sid
Lilypad
fiftynotout
Frankie Spence
bomum
Sofajudge
Pink Pinot Girl
37 posters

Page 11 of 43 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27 ... 43  Next

Go down

Strictly Books - Page 11 Empty Re: Strictly Books

Post  David Tee Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 pm

I've had a real splurge this last summer when it comes to reading - at a guess maybe 20 books? I went through a period of reading half a dozen late period Leslie Thomas's - I just love that style of writing where simple descriptions wind up being incredibly poignant.

I'm currently working my way through "We Need To Talk About Kevin". Some fabulously sharp observations in there.
David Tee
David Tee

Back to top Go down

Post  Pink Pinot Girl Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 pm

David Tee wrote:I've had a real splurge this last summer when it comes to reading - at a guess maybe 20 books? I went through a period of reading half a dozen late period Leslie Thomas's - I just love that style of writing where simple descriptions wind up being incredibly poignant.

I'm currently working my way through "We Need To Talk About Kevin". Some fabulously sharp observations in there.

((Sid)), brilliant book. Disturbing though.
Pink Pinot Girl
Pink Pinot Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  TompsHB Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:16 am

I've read a few good ones Sid..... discovered a new author (to me anyway !) ... Sandra Brown. She writes thrillers with a bit of romance thrown in for good measure. A tad on the slushy side, but occasional bits of raunchiness !!

I've also read a couple of Robert Goddard's ... never known to disappoint.

Just started on Stalked by Brian Freeman, one of my favourite writers, but sadly not prolific enough.

Will try and bring back some sun next week Smile
TompsHB
TompsHB

Back to top Go down

Post  lualen Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Currently reading Karen Rose 'Fallen'. Picked up another one of hers a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. Both of them have been set in real time, covering the space of three or four days so a bit different from some others.

Have just finished Karin Slaughter 'Fallen' and Steve Hamilton 'The Lock Artist'. have read most of Steve Hamilton's other ones (about an ex-cop in Canada) but this one is a stand alone. Not 100% sure about it but maybe just because it's so different from the others.

Have to agree with Tomps re Brian Freeman - read a couple a few months ago so still got a few more to work through.

And Lee Child's new Jack Reacher is out this week. Bliss!!
lualen
lualen

Back to top Go down

Strictly Books - Page 11 Empty starter for 10

Post  Frankie Spence Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Hello All,

I listened to David Nicolls talk about starter for 10 at the Hay Festival a few years ago. He commented that the book and the film were very different, mainly as lots of the humour of the book is derived from the main character being 'not particularly good looking', and this strand of humour wasn't going to work once James McAvoy was cast in the lead role!

I hadn't read the book when I saw him talk (he was on a panel with Deborah Moggach, who had just adapted sense and sensibility, and Andrew Davies, who adapted Pride and Prejudice, and I had gone along to listen to them really). I went and read starter for 10 afterwards and loved it.

Frankie Spence

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Tomps - I like the sound of the Sandra Brown books. You know me, never one to say no to a bit of raunch Wink

Hey Frankie - The movie castings for David Nicholls's books have been dreadful! Have you read The Understudy? I enjoyed that one as well.

Best reads of the year so far for me have been The Stand (Stephen King), Room (Emma Donohugh), and I've discovered a fantastic Japanese author called Natsuo Kirino who explores the dark side of the female psyche in a way that is utterly fascinating.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Strictly Books - Page 11 Empty Hi Sid

Post  Frankie Spence Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:15 am

Hi Sid,

Haven't read that one yet.

Nice to See you again Very Happy

Frankie Spence

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsArcanum Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:25 am

Currently reading a Who dunnit by Mark Haddon; The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time.

Story is told from the viewpoint of a 15 boy with Aspergers who hates anything yellow or brown and is obsessed with prime He is. And we obey him.. Funny & heart warming all at the same time despite the opening grisly chapter. Very Happy
MrsArcanum
MrsArcanum

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:11 pm

I've read this MrsA, mainly because it was The Whitbread Book of the Year (2003). Mark Haddon is clever to have written this, as you will discover. Not so much a who-dunnit as the exploration of the mind of a child with learning difficulties (Aspergers is not specifically mentioned, if my memory serves me correctly.) Will save other comments 'til after you've read it. Cool
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  MrsArcanum Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:53 am

Lucielle wrote:I've read this MrsA, mainly because it was The Whitbread Book of the Year (2003). Mark Haddon is clever to have written this, as you will discover. Not so much a who-dunnit as the exploration of the mind of a child with learning difficulties (Aspergers is not specifically mentioned, if my memory serves me correctly.) Will save other comments 'til after you've read it. Cool

I work (mostly indirectly) with people who have various learning issues and mental health problems which is why the blurb attracted me. The Aspergers was mentioned on the back cover.

Lovely heart-warming story. Well worth a read.
MrsArcanum
MrsArcanum

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:50 am

Apologies, I meant Aspergers was not specifically mentioned in the book as something Christopher was suffering from. The author has said the book is not specifically about Asperger syndrome - although I know it is mentioned on the cover - and that he is not an expert on the subject. However, it is a fascinating insight into the world of people (especially children) with autistic disorders. I just couldn't get my head round those calculations that Christopher was doing and was rather relieved when the book came to an end as I was suffering along with him - the railway track incident was frightening. I had no knowledge previously of anyone with this condition and it was an enlightening experience entering, albeit briefly, into their world.

Has anyone read The Help? I keep picking it up then putting it down again. It has been a successful film in America and I was keen to read it, but I just cannot get past the first few pages.Strictly Books - Page 11 350
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  Mslightfoot Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:08 am

I was able to fit in a bit of reading this year and discovered Maggie O'Farrell - 'The Hand that First Held Mine' - great read - she tells a great story, I then read another two of hers - The Disappearance of Esme something or other, can't remember the name, affraid and then The Distance Between us, all really interesting story lines and all very cleverly written, highly recommend this writer.
Mslightfoot
Mslightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Mslightfoot wrote:I was able to fit in a bit of reading this year and discovered Maggie O'Farrell - 'The Hand that First Held Mine' - great read - she tells a great story, I then read another two of hers - The Disappearance of Esme something or other, can't remember the name, affraid and then The Distance Between us, all really interesting story lines and all very cleverly written, highly recommend this writer.

Maggie O'Farrell's writing is mesmerising. "After You'd Gone" is one of the saddest books I've read.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Sid wrote:
Mslightfoot wrote:I was able to fit in a bit of reading this year and discovered Maggie O'Farrell - 'The Hand that First Held Mine' - great read - she tells a great story, I then read another two of hers - The Disappearance of Esme something or other, can't remember the name, affraid and then The Distance Between us, all really interesting story lines and all very cleverly written, highly recommend this writer.

Maggie O'Farrell's writing is mesmerising. "After You'd Gone" is one of the saddest books I've read.

Well my copy of After You've Gone has just dropped on the doormat today so that is going to be my weekend read. I've never read any of her books, I love it when I discover a new author to tap into! Should I have the tissues to hand? Sad
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Mslightfoot Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Oh god yes ! Tissues are a must have. Crying or Very sad
Mslightfoot
Mslightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:20 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
Well my copy of After You've Gone has just dropped on the doormat today so that is going to be my weekend read. I've never read any of her books, I love it when I discover a new author to tap into! Should I have the tissues to hand? Sad

Plenty Crying or Very sad

Don't forget to watch Strictly though!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Finished After You've Gone this morning Very sad book but I was slightly disappointed by all the jumping around in time and place early on, it was very confusing and hard to get to grips with. Think I might have to re-read it to really appreciate it.

So what's next? The Hand that First held Mine? Recommendations please!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Mslightfoot Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Once you get used to her style, it becomes quite easy - The Hand that First Held Mine is a wonderfully written book and so easy to appreciate how something like that could (and probably did) actually happen. Get your hankies out though !

The writing style reminds me of one of my favourite books The Blind Assassin - stonkingly good read, Margaret Attwood - of course all of her books are absolutely brilliant - if you haven't already read them of course.

Mslightfoot
Mslightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:53 pm

I recently read "Afterwards" by Rosamund Lupton (author of "Sister" which was very popular) and was totally blown away. It was beautifully written and the plot had plenty of twists and turns. I highly recommend it.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks Sid and MsL for those suggestions and no I haven't read Margaret Attwood , I've heard you mention that book before on this thread so maybe it's about time I checked it out.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TompsHB Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:36 am

Has everyone stopped reading ?

I am currently on Women and the Noose, a history of female execution in Britain. Chilling.

A few other recent decents have been Hideaway by Dean Koontz and a re read of one of my favourites Wuthering Heights.
TompsHB
TompsHB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:32 pm

TompsHB wrote:Has everyone stopped reading ?

Never!

I'm reading Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes and I can understand why it got 5 stars on Amazon. I'm gripped.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Strictly Books - Page 11 Empty Brown Bear, Brown Bear

Post  Frankie Spence Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:29 pm

Have almost given up reading (temporarily I hope) unless you count books about potty training. My top read at the moment is 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear' by Bill Martin jr and Eric Carle, which I first read a few months ago when the girls were 2 and about 18 months. They both join in with the words (eldest can do the entire book) and love the story, asking for it all the time.

Frankie Spence

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Just finished Girl with aDragon Tattoo did find this very heavy going.
I tend to buy books at Christmas always one chic comedy book. a
decent thriller and usually one from the Daily Mail gift ideas.

I loved Angela's Ashes and boy in the striped pyjamas. I did read the
Twilight series and found them so much better than the films.Loved
of course HP books and digging out the Hobbit again.

A good book to me is one i lose myself in and cannot put it down.

Not sure if Kindles are killing the joy of books.

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:47 pm

saxonsiren wrote:Just finished Girl with aDragon Tattoo did find this very heavy going.
I tend to buy books at Christmas always one chic comedy book. a
decent thriller and usually one from the Daily Mail gift ideas.

I loved Angela's Ashes and boy in the striped pyjamas. I did read the
Twilight series and found them so much better than the films.Loved
of course HP books and digging out the Hobbit again.

A good book to me is one i lose myself in and cannot put it down.

Not sure if Kindles are killing the joy of books.

Sax

I thought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo took a while to get into, but a 100 pages in and I was hooked! Will you read the other books in the series Sax? I recommend them Smile

I'm about to read Afraid by Jack Kilborn. I don't normally read a lot of horror, but this one caught my interest.

Lots of chick lit and a Linwood Barclay thriller lined up for xmas too Razz
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 43 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27 ... 43  Next