Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Other TV programmes you like or loathe

+17
hatlady28
TANGOLERO
Sadiesamba
TompsHB
Maya53
mauveangel09
kate
B4p
MissingLilia
Poppetlovestango
lualen
gingercodgers
Sid
vonee21
fiftynotout
allsewnonbyhand
Lucielle
21 posters

Page 27 of 28 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Go down

Other TV programmes you like or loathe - Page 27 Empty Re: Other TV programmes you like or loathe

Post  jingle Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:29 pm

Just been catching up on some recordings from Christmas. By far the most delightful thing I watched was the two Worzel Gummidge episodes - in fact I loved them so much that I've already re-watched.  Mackenzie Crook is such a gem, I've liked everything he's ever been in / directed.

Also top of the list was Paddington 2, which I taped and will also re-watch. Pure escapism, sigh!

I may be one of the few who'd never watched any Gavin and Stacey, so I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Watched all three series and the two Christmas specials, and yes I've definitely caught the G and S bug. Need to know what happens to Nessa and Smithy!!

New series of Silent Witness...so far so good.

Last but not least, I watched the new Pottery Thrown down last night - really baffled as to why it's hidden away on More4 (or was it E4)  - I absolutely love it, and glad to see Keith Brymer Jones still gets emotional about a good pot.

It was Allsewn who got me hooked on Grace and Frankie, but sadly she hasn't posted for months now. So if anyone's interested, Grace and Frankie series 6 will start on netflix on January 15.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Other TV programmes you like or loathe - Page 27 Empty Re: Other TV Programmes you either like or loathe

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:38 pm

jingle wrote:

Need to know what happens to Nessa and Smithy!!

Yes it was a very unexpected ending wasn't it? (What was that???? Mr Mauve put it more graphically than that Embarassed )
At least it has left it wide open for a further series...…………………..yes please!

I've only just been catching up on the Christine Keeler series this week (I've got the 3rd episode to watch). Don't know what people thought of it? I loved the film 'Scandal' and didn't think anything would top it but I am enjoying this one - I really like the guy who plays Stephen Ward - a really believable portrayal as it must be a difficult part to play because the real person seemed to be such a enigma.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Other TV programmes you like or loathe - Page 27 Empty Re: Other TV programmes you like or loathe

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:28 pm

Now that Lockdown 2 has been released, I am looking for something wholesome, lighthearted and generally lovely. The Channel 5 adaptation of All Creatures Great and Small fits this bill. But I binge-watched that as soon as I found it.

At the moment, all I can focus on is very old series of Only Connect on YoutTube. It requires no emotional input or attachment from me. This is just in general, not because of lockdown. (I am one of about twenty people in the country who enjoy lockdown. The other twenty are my work colleagues. There's less traffic, no hoards and crowds thronging, no demanding and rude visitors - everything is peaceful and calm.) I have Amazon Prime but gave up Netflix during the previous lockdown because once I had caught up with Grey's Anatomy (which roller-coastered my emotions!) there was nothing left I wanted to watch. I am pretty much in the same position with Amazon Prime now.

I am watching Bake Off, but it's lost it charm a little and I much prefer Sewing Bee and Pottery Throwdown for wholesome, giving-the-warm-fuzzies, crafts-based viewing.

Taskmaster is very much doing it for me (was crying at last week's catapault task!), but it's only on once a week (which is actually good - otherwise I would binge it and it would be all over). I re-watched all the previous series of Taskmaster the last lockdown, so no need to watch those again just yet.

I could watch all four of The Bridge series again, but I think I need to feel a bit stronger. I watched the Sarah Pascoe thing and quite enjoyed that, though it wasn't amazing. Wildlife programmes are always harrowing, so can't stomach those at the moment. I've re-watched the Detectorists, which fits the criteria exactly - and so now I'm out of options.

Anyone know something I don't? Has to be on Bee b, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Amazon Prime, Youtube, or that catchup platform that has Dave on it that I can never remember the name of...

Thanking you all so kindly I love you
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:20 pm

Oh I adored the remake of All Creatures too Diamonds, I watched it all twice and am really looking forward to the Christmas special.

Sounds like we've got similar tastes in viewing. I've watched the Detectorists three times, there's something so magical about it. I seem to love anything that Mackenzie Crooke has a hand in, especially Worzel Gummidge.

If you like Pottery throw-down, Sewing Bee et al, are you watching the current Portrait Artist of the Year on Sky Arts? As someone who tries to paint a bit I'm always in awe of the artists.

If you liked All Creatures, did you ever watch the Durrells? I was a late convert, only found it on iplayer during Lockdown 1, loved it.  I seem to really enjoy dramas set in the 1930s.  I was also a latercomer to the Crown which I was so sure I wouldn't like...but admit to really enjoying it. However think it's on netflix (I recently discovered Schitts Creek on netflix and watched all 6 series, although rather formulaic I did enjoy it).

If you're after lighthearted and lovely, have you seen the Eurovision film Story of Fire Saga on amazon prime? I thought it was an absolute gem, have watched it several times now.

I'm watching the Sara Pascoe thing at the moment, I do quite like the quirkiness of it. For quirky comedies, I liked Ghosts, and also Flowers (I seem to like anything which involves Will Sharpe)

Speaking of Will Sharpe, if you haven't already seen the crime series Giri Haji I'd definitely recommend it.

If you ever have a spare couple of hours and want to be transported to the arctic circle I'd recommend All Aboard the Sleigh Ride. It's totally immersive and relaxing, I love it and confess I watch it when in need of some tranquility. I've recorded it, but think it can also be found on youtube.  In the same ilk there's All Aboard the Great Reindeer Migration, which is worth a watch but not as enjoyable

There's something else at the back of my mind but I can't think what it is! I'll return when I remember...
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:43 pm

OOh, there's some good things in there Jingle - I agree very much that we are the same page viewing-wise.

I don;t know about you, bu I think Mackenzie Crooke shlould write every oher thing on TV ( the bits in between his series are for a bot of variety). His stuff has really heart and magic. Worzel Gummidge was enchanting and delightful an I loved it to bits.

I would LOVE to wathc Protrait Artist of the year, but I don't have access to Sky. i have watched previous years as I think they turned up on Netflix (when I had Netflix...) One of the women who was on last year had an exhibition in Kendal, as she lives locally (I live not too far from Kendal too).

I tried the Durrells int he last lockdown, but they didn't captivate me. Which is surprising because... Keeley Hawes! (And Tristan from All Creatures.)

I also tried Schitts Creek. Apparently you need to watch about 6 episodes to start to enjoy it, and I don't have that sort of patience. The Crown, I am not sure about but the trailer for this series is awesome! But it's on Netflix...

I thought Fire Sage was also on Netflix? can't find it on Aazon Prime. Bit wary of it because of Will Ferrell..

LOve, love, loved Ghosts - binge watched the current series as soon as it was launced in two nights - and that was only because I made myself pace myself! Not heard of Flowers... Where is that on? Sounds like I miht like that. Girl Haji is ringing bells too - I'm not sure if that was one I tried in lockdown but couldn't manage, or if I am thinking of something else.

All Aboard the Sleigh Ride defintely sounds worth a punt!

Thank you SO much for all your recommendations - just gutted I can't watch Portrait Artist of the Year!

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Found Flowers! It was nestling in All4, so I can watch all of it Smile

I now know who Will Sharpe is! I saw in in Defending the Guilty earlier in the year, and yes, Girl Haji was the thing I tried to watch in Lockdown but was too bleak dark for me (though it had darkly comic moments to). Will Sharpe in that basically stole the show and deservedly got the BAFTA for supporting actor. I didn;t know he had a hand in Ghosts though (ot am I reading your post wrongly).

Anyway, Flowers... Olivia Coleman!!!

Off to watch Taskmaster now, but will feed back my thoughts on Flowers.

Thank you for the pointer! I love you
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:37 pm

Just found portrait artist of the year 2020 on youtube - SO happy! bounce

Loved Taskmaster last night -Katherine Parkinson and, actually all of them (maybe less so Richard Herring) are priceless!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:59 pm

Glad you found Flowers flower Diamonds, hope you enjoy. Just to forewarn you, it starts a bit chaotically, and takes a few episodes to understand what's going on. I absolutely loved both series though - written and directed by Will Sharpe, and his character of Shun is brilliant. In fact, I'm tempted to re-watch it all over again.

jingle
jingle

saxonsiren likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:07 pm

flower cheers helloooooo xxxxxx
Loved Flowers thou did take me 2 series to get into it! Been watching tons of box sets, almost come to the end of E.R! This Is Us been a good series to watch, Outlander new series tried but got fed sorry far to whimsy.
Loved the remake of all Creatures Great & Small, thou the Housekeeper looks far to young Very Happy

Good to see you
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:24 pm

I've recently been sucked into watching Spooks. I also like the documentaries that Franco da Mosto does about Italy and the archeologist Michael Scott who has done the 3D underground scanning for Naples and Rome. I've been watching the re-runs of Heartbeat. I love the 60s music and clothing. I'm also into a lot of the Scandi dramas and have enjoyed DNA which finishes this weekend.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:07 pm

Loved spooks, I re watched Whitechapel and Waking The Dead as gotta love Trevor Eve.
We again watched Line of Duty and just got series 5 to go through.
Dark Matters not enjoyed, loved the Books and film but not TV series.
As nothing on I've put Sky Sports on and watching let's play footie with a vast empty stand and pretend audience. We have a game of listen out for the wrong team supporters chants. During a Liverpool match we kept hearing Oh when The Saints!! Surprised Razz we get a treat for spotting one possibly the extra pounds we have put on is due to this lol.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 pm

saxonsiren wrote: flower  cheers helloooooo xxxxxx
Loved Flowers thou did take me 2 series to get into it! Been watching tons of box sets, almost come to the end of E.R! This Is Us been a good series to watch, Outlander new series tried but got fed sorry far to whimsy.
Loved the remake of all Creatures Great & Small, thou the Housekeeper looks far to young Very Happy

Good to see you

Helloooo Sax!!! cheers cheers Good to see you too! Hope you have been keeping well and surviving the various lockdowns and restrictions.

I've only watched a couple of episodes of Flowers and it seems very bitter sweet. Olivia Coleman does that repressed 'I want to be loved' thing so well, and her husband is excellent at doing hidden melancholy. I look forward to seeing how it progresses.

Although the housekeeper looks a bit young, I think the actor is possibly the same age as the character in the books, ie in her 40s, butwe are better preserved now! And though it isn't in the books, I am liking the fact they are fleshing her out and giving her a bit of back story. But even if I didn't like that, I think the rest is so superb and really capatures the essence of the book and the characters, that I would forgive that anyway.

I watched almost all of the first series of Outlander about 3 years ago, and loved it. Right up my street (I'm a huge fan of whimsy!). But I gave up towards the end when it all just got to brutal for me to stomach. So I haven't been brave enough to watch another series. Sam Heughan is very easy on the eye though!

Hope you are enjoying this series of Strictly! xx
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi Diamonds I like Whimsy too and loved all of the episodes of All Creatures Great and Small. The original Housekeeper looked in their 60's?
The Outlander TV series I had watched was on Prime and a female Outlander set from the second world war and cast back into dark ages. Same actor who played her her Husband now portrayed as a very unsavoury character . We did until series 3 until we threw in the towel or Kilt!

Flowers very dark humour and Olivia Coleman played a blinding role.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:39 pm

If you like portrait artist of the year you should Google portrait artist of the week. It’s live and interactive, they did it during the first lockdown and have reintroduced it for this one. You don’t have to paint (we don’t) and you don’t have to watch it live. We pick it up on catch up.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:22 pm

fiftynotout wrote:If you like portrait artist of the year you should Google portrait artist of the week. It’s live and interactive, they did it during the first lockdown and have reintroduced it for this one. You don’t have to paint (we don’t) and you don’t have to watch it live.  We pick it up on catch up.

Yes, I saw it listed on youtube when I was searching for the main one Very Happy . I haven't watched one yet, but it's on the list!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:37 am

I need a new TV series. Anyone watching Undone with Hugh Grant & Nicole Kidman? Think started last week.
I haven't got Netflix anymore so having to wait to rewatch Series 5 of Line Of Duty. Ive added Sky Films and Sports to my Now TV for son as struggling bit re hours cut. They share my account. Grandson isolating as whole Class sent home Monday as class mate tested positive in their Twin Class Bubble.
I added Sports for us as 14 days isolation.
I just can't seem to find a good film on Prime without paying for extra channels.
Had Stargaze for 99p for 3 months, watched Series showing Arthur, Batmans Butler in his youth. Fantastic and Paloma Faith brilliant as a gangster. Its set in 50's very similar to The Krays.
Just not happy paying for more TV on top Virgin, Now TV, Prime is a bonus as love Amazon account.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:54 pm

Sax, sadly I don't have the right channel to watch the Undoing, but have heard that it's very good.

I don't watch much on Prime, but think the award-winning movie Parasite has been added recently - I keep meaning to watch it.

At the risk of sounding like a total couch potato, this really is a Super Sunday for me. Formula 1, Strictly results, start of I'm a Celeb and start of the Crown. Happy days!

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Ive just discovered Task Master and its keeping the hubby amused, thank goodness as day 2 isolation Undoing I can get re Now TV whole reason had it was for G.O.T. Later the England match with The Masters inbetween.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:32 pm

Have just made my annual purchase of the Christmas Radio Times and very pleased to see a new episode of All Creatures..on 22 Dec, and a new Worzel Gummidge on Christmas eve. Happy days.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:20 pm

Well of course my beloved L.O.D ended and I had to rewatch the entire series again. So pleased Vicky & Steve got awards this week for best actor/actress and it won Best Show.
Im trying to watch Vigil but just not getting into it. Anyone else watching?
Waiting for The Rig again with Martin Compston in plus Help with Steven Graham.
Endeavour is back too so Im quite settled .
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:42 pm

I love the Endeavour series. We've been watching Australian Survivor. I much prefer it to I'm a Celebrity.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:30 am

Not a massive t.v.watcher these days, but been following Line of Duty, McMafia and Vigil as series. I've done all the Endeavour series and am waiting for a new one to start? I am a history and documentary lover and follow everything Lucy Worsely does as I think she's great. With Jane Austen, she'd be first two on my "Guess who's coming to dinner ?" list. Go Lucy.. cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:52 pm

Anyone watched " Nine Perfect Strangers?" Its on Prime with Nicole Kidman, Melissa McCarthy & Luke Evans.Just finished it .
Im also watching Man Hunt with Martin Clunes & enjoyed the first showing. Not sure if I think its a mixture of Endeavour/Frost.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:15 pm

I've heard lots about Nine Perfect Strangers and have watched the trailer The main drawback is Nicole Kidman who never exudes any warmth in any part she has had ever and I just can't enagage with those characters as a consequence. I find many of the lauded actors are basically just variations of themselves, but with different wigs and accents...

Which is a very negative and long way round of saying no, I havent watched it, and probably won't.

Man Hunt sounds more promising though. Which side is it on?

Since the very first lockdown I find I can only watch very lighthearted things, and preferably no more than 45 min episodes (half and hour is better). All the kinds of things I used to love, crime drama series etc, I just can't concentrate on (I did manage Line of Duty though).

I managed all of Schitt's Creek, which I enjoyed but not to the extent that I was led to believe I would. I mainly liked Alexa (unlike Nicole Kidman, she dispayed oodles of warmth beneath her fantasically shallow exterior) and thought that her arc was the most interesting.

I also watched series 3 of Virgin River, which I didnt enjoy as much as the first two.

Other than that, loads of Only Connect!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:38 am

Line of Duty is extra fun to watch because a lot of it was filmed just down the road from me (I did once chance upon them filming a scene in a local car park, though didn't see any of the main actors)

Favourite at the moment has to be the second series of All Creatures Great and Small. I absolutely adore it, the casting is perfect, scenery spectacular and it makes me nostalgic for an era which I never knew but which just seems so familiar. I felt the same when I watched the Durrells which was set in the same period.  Just love the escapism of it.

I too watched Schitts Creek Diamonds - enjoyable at the time, though I've no memories of any of the storylines now

I'm a real sucker for Grace and Frankie (I think it was Allsewn who recommended it....such a shame that she doesn't seem to post here any more Sad  Anyway, I was delighted to see the new series on Netflix, binge watched the first four....and then there was an announcement that filming had been disrupted due to Covid and the rest of the series will be aired in 2022. Grrrr!

In a similar vein, I binge-watched the first seven series of the Blacklist....only to find the final series 8 had been removed from Catch Up, and at the moment is only available to buy.   Grrrr again

One thing I'm really enjoying is Chris and Meg's Wild summer, on BBC2.  Chris Packham and his step daughter Megan travelling around Britain looking at wildlife and nature. Their rapport is just so comfortable and the places they visit so interesting - thoroughly enjoyable.

Finally, have been hooked on Lego Masters, which ended a few days ago. I love anything that involves making/creating - Bake off, Portrait Artist, Pottery, Sewing, Masterchef, Repair shop.......
jingle
jingle

diamondsandpearls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 28 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next