Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

+8
Twirlie
mauveangel09
CaledonianCraig
jingle
allsewnonbyhand
saxonsiren
TANGOLERO
B4p
12 posters

Page 3 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 23  Next

Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:26 pm

I will post a more detailed reply later but can I just say....seriously worried about Katie. She looked like she was going to cry after her dance and she didn't appear in the Tesspit/Clauditorium at all after that. I did wonder if she'd jacked it in and gone home! It looked like it was just an ordeal for her- I know she was nervous and I was really hoping she'd do better tonight. Much as I am seriously agin Susannah, I feel like it might be kinder to let Katie go, she doesn't seem to be enjoying it at all.
..or am I over reacting?

Last edited by allsewnonbyhand on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:08 pm

Think for now maybe I'll stick with commenting on a select number of better/more enjoyable highlights than finding fault with weaker dancers. It's still early and very much about the pros trying to teach their partners but maybe doing a bit too much focus on themselves.

I felt Stacy was maybe a bit under-marked. Not a staggering performance, but certainly not a bad one. Reasonably confident at least to appearances overall and she moves well. Maybe next week will show more of her quality.

Charles and Karen's quickstep: Well gee I saw the dance and missed the marks through discussing it with my wife. It had all the appearance of a good old quickstep but based rather on show-stopping than solid ballroom technique. The Charleston bits were a good example of this; it's week two not the semi-final and show-dancing this early will surely kill confidence in some trying to master basics.

Katie and Aljaz Tango. Again, a bit too soon for a classy dance for me, but I really did enjoy it. Katie surprised me and danced with reall passion. It was up towards D.O.T.N. level for me for week two.

Lee's Blue Suede Shoes Jive was pretty good with high energy and good rhythm. A pretty fair performance.

Vicky and Graziano's waltz was elegant and classy looking both in costume and content. They did all the right things and did them well, and Graziano danced it well without overshadowing his partner. Very promising.

Faye and Giovani's Vienese, although danced to an odd musical choice "Man's World", was beautifully carried out. Although it had all sorts of quirky stacatto and other elements not normally associated with Vienese, it was so well done that it had all the appearance of a classy show dance. I base my comments on this irregardless of ringer level or no. I thoroughly enjoyed the dance and for me, that's where it's at.

Ashley and Pasha , again ringer regardless turned out a top class dance (cha-cha) that was thoroughly enjoyable in its quality. One of the D.O.T.N'S for me.

I think that will do from me at this stage. I'll read everyone else's views tomorrow as golf has taken up most of my evening since.

Play Moonlight Serenade and sleep well.....Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:13 pm

Hello one and all. Another Season of Strictly has taken off. I’ll dive straight in and read what everyone else thinks afterwards.

While some of the celebrities aren’t very wonderful, there’s a lot of very good talent in the mix this year. Sadly as things stand the very best of them don’t interest me in the slightest. In many ways I wish they weren’t there.

Stacey and Kevin – Cha Cha
A little stiff. The steps were all there but not relaxed at all. She said she hated it and it showed.

Charles and Karen - Quickstep
He’s greatly talented. I can’t tell why but he doesn’t inspire me at all.

Katie and Gorka – Paso Doble
Still very nervous and it showed. Still not great. She’s not long for this competition.

Graham and Oti – American Smooth
I like him – lots of fun. Oti in a partnership is always a plus.

Kate and Aljaz  - Tango
So much better than last week. I loved it and they are such a charismatic couple. To get a standing ovation from Shirley and then only to get a 7 from her was a surprise. I thought they might have had a slightly better score but there you are.

Joe and Diane - Charleston
One of my favourites. We weren’t sure about the performance but I’m glad the judges liked it. I’m surprised they liked it so much more than Kate’s.

Susannah and Housewives choice - Foxtrot
Better than last week – a little, I suspect she’ll be first to go.

Lee and Nadya – Jive
A good fun jive – I enjoyed it a lot.

Danny and Amy – Cha Cha
Supple, prescise, sharp, and hugely enjoyable I love his confidence and enjoyment.

Vick and Graziano - Waltz
I like this lassie. A gorgeous dress and beautiful song in a delicate arrangement, and a very beautiful performance.

Dr Ranj and Janette - Salsa
Fab costumes. A great shimmy too. Lots of fun and very enjoyable. Didn’t notice the costume problem with Janette, I was mostly watching him.

Faye and Giovanni – Viennese Waltz
A Viennese Waltz that didn’t seem so to me. I missed the announcement at the beginning of the dance and spent the time wandering what it was. Another celeb that doesn’t inspire me. I couldn’t believe the scores. Completely over the top it seemed to me. She definitely didn’t deserve 8s

Lauren and AJ - Charleston
I agree, it wasn’t as energetic as it could have been. I wonder if too much time was spent on the lifts.

Seann and Katya - Jive
Felt sorry for them. It really did fall apart. Katya is inventive and imaginative but it really didn’t hang together.

Ashley and Pasha – Cha Cha
She’s very good, but like Faye I find her boring.

We’ll see how it all goes but I doubt that I’ll ever vote for Ashley. Faye or Charles.

Last edited by Twirlie on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'A little bit of honesty' thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:25 am

allsewnonbyhand wrote:I will post a more detailed reply later but can I just say....seriously worried about Katie. She looked like she was going to cry after her dance and she didn't appear in the Tesspit at all after that. I did wonder if she'd jacked it in and gone home! It looked like it was just an ordeal for her- I know she was nervous and I was really hoping she'd do better tonight. Much as I am seriously agin Susannah, I feel like it might be kinder to let Katie go, she doesn't seem to be enjoying it at all.
..or am I over reacting?

No - you're not over reacting - I thought exactly the same. She's definitely not enjoying it at all.

HI TWIRLIE ! Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:20 am

allsewnonbyhand wrote:I will post a more detailed reply later but can I just say....seriously worried about Katie. She looked like she was going to cry after her dance and she didn't appear in the Tesspit at all after that. I did wonder if she'd jacked it in and gone home! It looked like it was just an ordeal for her- I know she was nervous and I was really hoping she'd do better tonight. Much as I am seriously agin Susannah, I feel like it might be kinder to let Katie go, she doesn't seem to be enjoying it at all.
..or am I over reacting?

Yes I did pick up on that. I think the whole experience is perhaps all a bit too much for her considering what she has been through in life. She seems to fold as soon as the judges criticise. I didn't notice her absence afterwards though.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:32 pm

Great reviews everyone. I love getting back to my autumn sunday morning routine, when I do a re-watch of Strictly and then read everyone'e comments. And  cheers  to see Twirlie back.

Really enjoyed week 2. Forgetting about the ringers for a moment there’s a lot of middle runners with bags of potential. Stacey and Vick are the two most obvious, but there’s quite a few others who I think could also improve week on week.    A few thoughts..

Stacey – enjoyed this, the only minus for me was Kevin’s rather manic expression all the way through. Plus he’s  also started to copy Aljaz’s habit of cheering at the end. Can you tell I’m not a Kevin fan! I actually wish he’d been partnered with ringer Ashley, and that Pasha had got Stacey.

Charles – some lovely choreography from Karen, although I think she could’ve saved the fact that Charles can do the splits for another day. His quickstep was so light-footed for a well-built man. Personally  I didn’t spot the bobbing head that Darcy and Shirley criticised.

Katie – oh dear, for a week 2 contestant suffering from nerves, this was exactly the wrong dance to the wrong music.  Thank goodness for Darcey and her kind words, I thought the other judges could’ve been a little more sensitive.

Graeme – such a contrast (in a bad way) from last week. I really disliked his outfit of pale waistcoat and trousers, which gave him a barrel appearance. The pace of the music seemed a bit sedate for American smooth - the dance looked ploddy and disjointed, with all sorts of posture problems added in.  Hopefully he’ll get the chance to improve his ballroom

Kate – this was the dance of the night for me. The choreography maybe wasn’t that challenging but I thought she nailed the performance of it. When they showed her dress on ITT I thought it was really dull, but actually it looked very effective under the stage lighting.

Joe – too much thrown into this thatching-themed Charleston, and I didn’t like the ladder-ography. A bit too frantic, and it seems strange that he was allowed to do two very samey dances over weeks 1 and 2 (and same comment applies to Dr Ranj). Will be interesting to see how he handles ballroom

Susannah – a small improvement on last week but I don’t enjoy watching this partnership at all. Hope she’s in the dance off tonight.

Lee – efficient jive, good characterisation. I thought the stripe down his trouser leg was very effective in the kicks and flicks. Not sure why but I haven’t warmed to Lee yet, I feel like he’s withholding his personality on ITT and in the VTs.

Danny – I think it was CC who described this as ‘jerky’ and that’s exactly my opinion too. I thought it looked a rather peculiar routine.  Feels to me like the judges fawn over him a bit, and none of them mentioned that he’d held a very serious expression for 90% of his cha cha.

Vick – what a difference a week makes. A lovely delicate routine, with Graziano placing all the focus on his partner. The staging and lighting was lovely too, and I really enjoyed this waltz. When Graziano appeared on ITT this week I thought he came across as quite sweet, so he’s moved onto my afor list.

Dr Ranj – enjoyed this, he really knows how to sell a dance.  I can’t imagine any of the other male c.elebs being able to wear that frilly black and red outfit and carry it off.

Faye – I didn’t understand the storyline of this dance, or why she kept dropping on to the floor. Lovely posture in hold

Lauren – a pity she went totally out of synch at the end, but enjoyable otherwise.  Has AJ done something to annoy wardrobe? Week 1 it’s a floral shirt, and week 2 it’s ugly checked trousers.

Sean – oh dear, what a weird performance. At one stage it looked more like irish dancing than a jive – the choreography was too ambitious for his ability. However I hope he stays for a few more weeks, I enjoy his personality.

Ashley – we’ve had ringers before, but is she the most ringer-y of them all?  I’ve zero interest in watching her, which is a pity because I like Pasha.

Looking forward to the results show tonight, hopefully Susannah will exit. I’ve no idea who’s in the dance off but I do hope that Katie gets spared from having to repeat her paso.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Have to agree with the comments on Katie. She seems very fragile all told (and who can wonder why?) and it might be a kindness if she sees an early exit. That said, our G.B.P may inadvertently not see it that way and keep both her and Susanna in. At whose expense I wouldn't care to forecast. We'll know soon enough . This is where the gulf between experienced dancers and complete novices is at its most annoying level of evidence. It's all a bit like a certain game show based on general knowledge where people enter for the sake of getting on T.V without having much knowledge to start with to compete against against people who absorb knowledge for a living.. Either all novice dancers or all pros, one or the two. Will never happen though in the great "ratings above all" monopoly. "That's entertainment!" .....as the saying goes.... Cool
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:56 pm

The First Exitee:
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:28 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
The First Exitee:

No disagreement with any of that C.C, but as for A nton, well, when Brucie sadly retired then passed on, there were only two people who I felt should take over compering the show: One was L en Goodman and the other A nton du Beck. I still feel the same way. L en won't come back but I'm sure A nton would take it on and do a great job. I have a D.V.D of his and Erin's stage show and he has the charm, personality and humour needed for such work. Sorry, but I've never been a Tess fan.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:22 am

mauveangel09 wrote:
HI TWIRLIE ! Very Happy

jingle wrote:And  cheers  to see Twirlie back.

Hi Mauveangel, Hi jingle. Hi everyone else! Let the games begin!!! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 am

According to a report this morning it seems Susanna wasn't half as popular as maybe we thought. Had a right strop about being voted out?
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:47 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:According to a report this morning it seems Susanna wasn't half as popular as maybe we thought. Had a right strop about being voted out?

Yes I read those. Also a bit of a loner who never mingled with the others or offered praise or emcouragement.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:04 pm

Hello dear sparkly, glitterery people of elegance!

I have finally managed to track down some working wifi and am able to join in a bit of chat and gossip (missed out on all the Bodyguard disection...).  I haven't had a chance to read any of your comments (three pages already - you busy, busy people you!) as I don't want to tempt fate and lose connection before I have my feather boa's-worth... But so glad to be with you all again!

It's all a bit early doors yet for me to really get a feel of the contestants and their partnerships, but that hasn't stopped me from forming strong opinions that I reserve the right to pluck back and deny I ever had them by week 4...

So anyway, the Good: Joe:  Can't stand Ruby, but he seems to just have a natural rhythm and energy and aptitude.  It will be interesting to see how he does with ballroom however. Faye: Gio has another great partner and seems to be doing witht her what he did with Debbie, ie showing her at her full advantage and not shedding all the spotlight on himself (other pros please take a leaf...). Kate: by no means the best in the pack, but has a gleam of sheer steely determination and she has great style and what seems to be a good partnership with the lovely Aljaz. Mr Casualty (my This Year's Crush He Can Do No Wrong): he is limber of limb, relaxed and hip wiggly and rather lovely  Embarassed Danny:  Also cool and relaxed, though I thought his Cha Cha Cha (I do like to include the third Cha - seems only polite) was lacking in hip action adn getting down into the floor and thus thought he was over marked, but last week's Top Cat routine was great. Ashley - another Caroline Flack (but with three other people's share of confidence as well as her own); I think they even look similar. Wasn't keen on the cha cha cha (drag to type - why do I set these rules for myself?  Might try Cha x3 and see how that flows..) but have to admit she can flippin' dance...

The Bad: Poor Susannah: but Housewives choice is the crappiest teacher alive and really didn't get the best out of someone who was so keen to learn.  I doubt she would ever be amazing but I think she could have been better because her heart was very definitely in it.  Katie - mainly because of her fear and anxiety.  She gave great attitude in the paso, but hasn't yet given enough attention to her feet and posture.  I'm not sure Gorka knows how to handle such nerves and anxiety (nor would I), even though he is clearly trying very hard.  Sean: Katia is a great teacher from what I have seen of her, so I think Sean and his flat feet are the let down.

The Indifferent: Stacey - her and Kevin as a duo are beginning to get on my wick (nods to Le n....) Lee and Whatever I Called Her Last Year (Yet Another Blonde Russian?), Graham and Oti - I am urging him to do better but he just doesn't quite pull it off. And all the rest who are so indifferent I can;t even remember them.

The Don't Knows: Vick - looks like she should be amazing but so far has managed not to be, though her arms and expressiveness were sublime and goosepimply.  But hasn't managed to master posture. Along with Mr Casualty and Joe she was one of my picks for being surprisingly good at the launch.  The other two have come through - maybe she's a late starter... Needs to start doing planks forthwith.

The Yer Gotta Luv 'Em:  Ranj - him and his white teeth and the smile-y enthusiasm despite having been awake since last Tuesday! Shame about his annoying partner. Lauren and Cheeky Chappy 12 year old (must be 13 or 14 by now...) - genuinely sweet and genuinely not at all bad.  

Katia continues to get the best dresses though Vick is clearly getting great treatment from her namesake in costume - her waltz dress was to die for and she looked stunning in last weeks tasselly number too.  Lauren's mint green shorts thingy was a crime against a gorgeous woman and an Olympic Gold Medallist - where's the respect Vicky, where's the respect? Kate looked Tango-tastic - she is statuesque but manages to be very elegant and stylish. Hated poor Katie's get up - wrong colour, cruel hair....

I shall stop now...  It's best I think.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 pm

So lovely to hear from D&P! cheers
Great review, hope you manage to get wifi on a regular basis.
I don't like the American ringer wassername but I have admit she can dance. However I do like the Faye ringer and the Danny ringer.
I have to admit a bit of a girl crush on Kate- she is one of those naturally stunning women, lovely warm face and amazing complexion. She has impressed me so far
I'm glad others also noticed Vick's lovely arms- she really did use them beautifully in the waltz
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:29 am

Hi D+P Very Happy

Allse - totally agree with you - in ringer terms I find I like Danny and Faye but dislike A shley already which is unfair as the poor girl has done nothing to me and she can really dance! It's nice to see P asha being given the chance to 'dance' too - but I think it is something to do with the fact that I really felt it was inappropriate for A shley to be on the show and even on the scale of ringers she is a 'super' one! So I suppose I was 'agin' as they say from the word go.

I normally feel neutral on the first few weeks as I think it is all such a lottery (such as Lee being in in the DO) although at least this year it was clear cut who out of the two couples in the DO should go out first - no horrible 'Chizzy' moments! - but I must admit that although it is early doors I too have taken to K ate - although I hate to use the word, I think she has great potential for the 'J' word and is not a ringer which I think is exciting.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Just to take a point on from the Highs and Lows thread, maybe they should institute some form of pest control over the pros and what they teach their charges? I know it'll never happen, but I'd still like them all to be doing the same dances to be judged by instead of trying to compare a Paso or Tango against a waltz or rumba/samba etc. It's crazy and almost impossible to do that, as crazy and impossible as a fifty year old competing against cartwheels, handstands and splits etc. There's no parity in any of it.

I know the moguls (read ratings counters) would holler "Entertainment" in defence, but at least it would stop all the showboating, "run before you can walk" stuff. Waltz Week, and or Tango Week etc, etc..would be entertaining enough in its own way and far easier to judge fairly and let the open and show-dance stuff begin at Blackpool week onwards. . ( I can well remember the moans, groan and complaints when a certain dance teacher tried to force his personal choice "spot the tune" track on our class for a certain T.V show not that long ago instead of a ballroom favourite we all knew and liked. It had as much appeal as the "sequence jiving for five year olds" we were supposed to learn to accompany the manic music)....

Get a grip somebody and and maybe listen a little....
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:06 pm

So, another year of SCD has started or, as a friend of mine says, the countdown to Christmas has begun.....

No real surprises from weeks one or two and at least, as Susannah said, the right couple went home.

I’m enjoying watching Danny and Faye (ringers or not) and I think Kate shows promise. I also like the Vick partnership. Like most of you I am pretty meh to Ashley.

On the pro dancer front, I’m afraid the Cliftons have had their day, for me, which is a shame because I like Charles the casualty guy and hope he does well. I also can’t warm to Nadiya but Aliyaz and Katya are still my favourites and I’m sorry Neil has to do another year as the warm up guy.

All in all it looks set to be another good one. There’ll be some shocks along the way, I’m sure, but I suspect we will end up with the right seven or eight dancers once we get to the business end of the competition. Bring it on.

fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 am

I don't think Susannah actually had a strop. It's just media speak for was upset for being knocked out - and who isn't? I never thought she would be popular with the public -she doesn't come across terribly warmly. But Kate (who does) said she had been very motherly and supportive to the others. Susannah has denied stropping and I have to say I believe her more than the media. I absolutely don't believe even one word I read or hear in newspapers,t.v. or radio or online unless it is about something like a natural disaster where there is incontrovertible proof. We are living in the world of fake news....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Where's Sid???

I'm.worried. Has he gone over to the dark side?
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:48 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:Where's Sid???

I'm.worried. Has he gone over to the dark side?
Apparently he's OK but really busy, but he is posting on Twitter
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 am

"he is posting on Twitter"

Well, if ever there was a reason to resurrect my twitter account....!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'A little bit of honesty' thread

Post  mauveangel09 Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:15 pm

But we want Sid back here!!!!!! Sid - missing you Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:04 pm

"But we want Sid back here!!!!!! Sid - missing you Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad"

Exactly! Precisely what you said. It feels like one of the family is not coming home for Christmas. It's just wrong!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Anyone here following Sid on Twitter who cares to cut and paste a couple of his pithy comments? It'll be a bit like skyping on Christmas day - not the same but so much better than nothing....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:22 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:Anyone here following Sid on Twitter who cares to cut and paste a couple of  his  pithy comments? It'll be a bit like skyping on Christmas day - not the same but so much better than nothing....
I've followed him and I have asked him to pop in and say hi- but I'm not very up on the Twitter etiquette so it was prob the wrong thing to do....I have to be honest, I find Twitterland a teensy bit scary!! pale
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 23  Next