Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

+8
Twirlie
mauveangel09
CaledonianCraig
jingle
allsewnonbyhand
saxonsiren
TANGOLERO
B4p
12 posters

Page 2 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:03 pm

Hello everyone- it's back! cheers the only good thing about the nights drawing in.. Crying or Very sad
What a long show it was, well done all of you who have commented individually, I don't have that much stamina at the moment! So it's a few general comments for me. As yet I don't feel I know the contestants very well at all and those I've not heard of I'm struggling to remember their names! From a purely hardly any dance/popularity contest point of view the ones I'm for at the moment are Lauren Kate Graeme(he was surprisingly better than I expected) Danny, Stacey and Joe. I didn't mind Faye either.
Vick had a very fast jive ( I thought the singers struggled a bit as well!) but I think there's potential. Same with Charles. I really hope Katie can overcome her nerves. Dr Ranj looked OK.
And so to the agins- I just don't like Susannah and being forced into the comedy slot hasn't helped. It's a no from me. I think she might have a quick exit even with An.ton's legion of voters. Lee has all the personality of a wet dishrag so far. Seann I think I might end up liking but he needs to wind it in a bit. As someone else said (sorry I really should make a note of who said it when I want to mention other people's comments ) there's already a lot of backchat - wind your necks in we don't like it!
Of course I retain the right to change my mind about all of them as we get to know them - looking forward to ITT in the coming weeks.

And as we all say every year, keep it simple in week one- no tangos or quick steps! Evil or Very Mad

Looking forward to sharing your thoughts for the next few weeks!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Loads of random thoughts about the first night so you’ll have to forgive a long post………… Very Happy Very Happy

I think I thought that with all the pre-season rumours and the choice of some of the contestants that SCD might look and feel a bit different this year – but I needn’t have worried – it was a reassuringly traditional first night. Smile

Although it was a long show I think I prefer the format of all the dancers performing over one night and not two. Whilst the proverbial SCD bench and balcony were already in evidence I thought that most of the routines were not ‘over themed’ as they can be at this early stage – I think we are all used to the fact that they often make a play on the contestants professions or names in the first dance - but aside from that there was lots of ‘actual’ dancing and for me some enjoyable routines.

Most importantly I felt that the ringers did not dominate by any means last night and I was so pleased at how well some of the beginners did – this bodes well for a good competition. There wasn’t really a stand out dance or couple for me but the first show definitely made me really want to see what they all can do next. Surprises for me were Joe, Lauren and Graeme – and also how many fast dance tempos there were – a lot for the newbies to keep up with but most of them did. Of course it has to be remembered that they have all had longer to perfect the first dance and I think that by and large the celebs were given dances that suited them last night - I will be interested to see for example how Lauren copes with latin and Joe with ballroom.

I was dismayed to see that the samba was being performed on week one – although Graeme gave it a great stab. B4P made a great comment on another thread about some of the pros possibly being tactical and getting hard dances out of the way early and on a non-voting week – I would say that is about right.

I did think that A nton’s samba was the duff dance of the night. Crying or Very sad When he did the comedy old fashioned samba with Ruth last year – complete with the same maracas and almost the same trousers – it was a stroke of genius. It was 'tongue in cheek' funny in a good way and Ruth was further on in the contest and executed the samba bits well. It did not work for Susannah on the first night – who was very self-conscious (made me cringe) and she is not a comedy character so couldn’t make it work in that way either.

I thought the dynamic between the judges was an interesting one - CRH and Shirley definitely seem to be paired up this year as the ‘guardians’ often giving similar scores and pointing out the illegal lifts/moves which I was glad to see happening. There were loads of interesting comments - I don’t always agree with Shirley but I was pleased that she was sticking to commenting very much on steps and technique so I hope that continues and that it stops things from getting too watered down – if something strays too much from the spirit of the dance for her she says so . I loved the nice way in which she ‘brought down’ the ringers with some criticism – albeit constructive, on what they needed to improve. I thought CRH’s comment to Graziano about the dance being all about him was hilarious – it was just a gentle reminder not to stray down that path trodden by a lot of new male pros where they seem to be showcasing themselves. Overall I was quite pleased with the judges last night - not sure of course if that will continue Rolling Eyes

Lastly – I felt that everyone had been given a good costume that suited them – the men being well attired and I thought the girl’s frocks were quite traditional with lots of primary colours.

That’s it………………………on with the dance………………………….. cheers cheers

Can’t wait for ITT to start tomorrow x

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Okay, I haven't read anyone else's view yet in order not to be biased and I just know I'm going to be controversial. I know also it's my age that makes me shake my head at the utterly childish behaviour of both pros and some celebs around the studio last night and in the video clips. Hey, come on, I have a sense of humour; I used to laugh at Laurel and Hardy...I also know we have to please three year olds and their great grandparents as mandatory, but xxxxxxx xxxx! It's a dance show....oh, sorry it isn't it's an entertainment show. Gee, there are so many things I must be careful not to mention hers....tread softly Tango...! Not a good start then? Ah well, it gets worse... Embarassed

Okay. For week one the overall standard was very good, quite amazing in fact for basically non-dancers to turn in performances that good; almost show level, and certainly nothing that would be spotted as bad by a sozzled spectator peering through opera glasses the wrong way round. (Anybody remember when they had them on the back of the cinema seat in front of you and you had to put sixpence in to release them...I think you got it back, like an Asda trolley, when you put them back?) I digress. From the entrance of the Pink Panther (who was staggeringly rythmic and a great mover, it was obvious that the cards had been stacked (means rigged) to fall in the right order. Poor old A nton looked totally jaded dressed ridiculously as a giant Satsuma ( themes in week one?)and far from the man who dazzled us with Erin back a ways. Fatherhood has obviously taken a toll. His partner, Sussana, sadly just heaped coal bricks on the flames by looking totally out of it all in matching jaffa peel. I think A nton must have got an ultimatum of do it or else....First one through the torpedo tube for me...

I'm not going to list every individual at this stage as some of you have already covered all that and I trust your judgement (mainly. Twisted Evil ) but that Tango? W.T.F was that music all about and since when did desire and lust look like somebody chasing an ice-cream van in a Keystone Cops movie? I have to blame Katya (indeed any blame last night goes to the pros as the contestants know little or nothing of ballroom and latin even if the did the Hokey Cokey in a stage show or whatever) for a poor presentation of the pearl dance of competition. Sorry Katya, you're better than that. If you really do have to go modern with the music, give "Sound of Silence" by the group "Disturbed" a try.

Vick and Graziano;s jive , well, I actually agreed with the fabu-u-lus darling one that it was a poor affair. Jive? As in rock and roll...really? Nadia's use of tango stacatto in a waltz sent out the wrong message with Lee whatsit. Another victim of poor music choices that I thought richocheted throughout the night. Then again, I'm not known for agreeing with much modern music after 1980, maybe 70......Very Happy

Charles Venn and Karen, a pretty hot Cha Cha that promise good things from them and, for me, Stacey and Kevin's quickstep was the Dance of the Night apart from Danny's foxtrot.. Ashley Roberts was just a shade away from elegant and if she can glide rather than step in places she'll be in at the apple ducking. Doctor Rann has rythmn and moves well. I'm happy to leave it at that till we see what we'll see next week. I'd like Kate to do well with Aljaz but she needs to "feather" a little more.

Okay, every ointment needs a fly, so for now...hasta la vista.... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:58 pm

I have a theory though about An.ton's choice of choreography. He can and does do seriously good choreography but I think he uses his brain. He probably knows Susannah's talent levels are very low on the dance she was given so he is wise enough to know that a good comedy act dance stands them more of a chance getting through than a serious dance with serious choreography with no laughs. That is my take on it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:49 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I have a theory though about An.ton's choice of choreography. He can and does do seriously good choreography but I think he uses his brain. He probably knows Susannah's talent levels are very low on the dance she was given so he is wise enough to know that a good comedy act dance stands them more of a chance getting through than a serious dance with serious choreography with no laughs. That is my take on it.

It's a plausible theory C.C., and you may well be right. I've always been a supporter of A nton through all the series (and he's been given a few duff partners has he not?), but it just annoys that such a fine ballroom dancer should even be messing about with comedy in what is a dance competition. I find it a bit lacking in respect to see him in a clown outfit like he wore last night. It's a bit hard I think to laugh with him rather than at him. Again, I may be entirely wrong in it all. I think I must be getting old.... study Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:59 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:

It's a plausible theory C.C., and you may well be right. I've always been a supporter of A nton through all the series (and he's been given a few duff partners has he not?), but it just annoys that such a fine ballroom dancer should even be messing about with comedy in what is a dance competition. I find it a bit lacking in respect to see him in a clown outfit like he wore last night. It's a bit hard I think to laugh with him rather than at him. Again, I may be entirely wrong in it all. I think I must be getting old.... study Wink

I do feel he may have made a rod for his own back because of his great way he takes criticism and turns moments of criticism into a joke. The producers have grown to know this now and he has been typecast in this court jester type role and see it as a valuable selling point/viewer winner part of the show but unfortunately it is depriving An.ton of partners that are in with a shout of winning.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:24 am

Firstly, Tango, never change- I love reading your comments even if I disagree with them,  which is rarely!

I think the An.ton comedy angle has worn well past its sell by date - the trouble with comedy is that you have to laugh with them rather than at them- I loved his relationship with Ruth last year as they were having a ball and she really did love it. Similarly I really loved Ed and Katya,  and Iveta and Mark. Even Jeremy and Karen to an extent. I think because they all tried and to some extent did learn to dance. But I hated the Anne W partnership. In this game-  ( and it is a game even though we all decry the entertainment  v dance)  - if you are going for laughs you also have to be likeable. Anne W isn't, she knows it and doesn't give a fig either, and for some reason I have taken strongly agin Susanna too. I just don't find her likeable at all, although I have no basis for this and I'm sure she's very nice I real life. I've never seen any of her tv programmes.
I just think that the  out and out comedy boat has sailed and I would love to see them go out first so I don't have to be subjected to any more.

Incidentally CC, I would politely disagree that Amton has never had the chance of a partner who could  win - I give you Katie  Derham. And did he not come third with Lesley Garrett? But I do agree that he never has a partner who WILL win - just as you have to be popular, sadly I think you also have to be below a certain age to actually win. Who was the oldest winner?   scratch
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:24 am

I don't believe I said he has never had a talented partner just that he often gets laden with the duffers if there are duffers to be had. I think he gets his partner, assesses their dance talent and ability to learn each dance each week and if he sees comedy routine as a way to stay in the competition he will do it. Liken it to a football team who know they have no chance of beating a far better team. They park the bus and defend in an attempt to get the best possible result - a draw. He is so darn good at the comedy and taking criticism that the producers now see him as the resident performing court jester so he gets paired with the talentless and most hopeless cases.

I wonder if the producers get to look at and assess the celebs dance ability ie during pre-series training for the first group dance prior to partnering up. They spot the likely weak link and think An. Ton straight away.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:08 pm

A Monday diatribe to mutter and mumble about between dances (Intevals?) : Subject, Hear it, dance it.

Just a word on the Jive, or actually "Jiving" as it isn't a dance you can comparmentalise (is that actually a word? ) like other feet on boards shuffling. Now Auntie Shirley is a great technical judge, that's beyond denying, but ranting on about kicks and flicks as being totally important elements and focal points in Jive...., really? That's pure dance school jive talk.

Jive is crazy and totally devoid of elegance, basically an "anything goes " dance or going whako to music, splits, cartwheels, judo throws and all-in-wrestling to music...and therin lies the secret; the music. Never forget the music, the rythm and the beat. (Strictly organisers please take note) Back in the Palais and other Mecca dance hall days days before John Travolta even owned a jar of Brylcreem, when we invented the English versions of rock and roll, ( It must be admitted, the Yanks were light years ahead of us in all the dance musical fields outside of ballroom and Morris Dancing and twirling round a Maypole, via Jazz and Latin American influence, rumba, samba, mambo cha-cha etc) there were very few tuxedos or other dresses of elegance to be seen pounding the maples and ballroom was a word related to less tight-fitting strides. (Lime green and pink men's socks, drainpipe pants and women with combs stuck into waspie belts and Doris Day split skirts etc, might indicate that fashion had moved on a little from Harry Faversham and co in tie and tails doing Straus waltzes without a hair out of place.

See, we (us rock and roll rebels) actually knew which music was which because our ears told us. The one thing that actually got us out of house and home as 1950 arrived, and into any venue with a dance floor, was "the music",( almost like a musical version of The Pied Piper in its hypnotic beckoning)and of that there were only two types that mattered: Those He is. And we obey him. that could be jived ( danced) to, and those that couldn't. Hello there...(We put up with anything slower for smooching and fumbling in the dark to as long as it was accepted as popular, Nat King Cole, Teresa Brewer, Ela Fitgerald and Co.. The more refined amongst us actually still donned a jacket and tie and crept into the Palais at weekends (if none of our rock and roll mates were around) for a foxtrot shuffle or even a quickstep and waltz or two,( you can take the man out of the dance etc..) but rock and roll/jive was Saturday afternoons and Tuesday night in the Mecca halls, and any other night in any one of dozens of clubs where the beat was king. We listened, we danced. John Peel's horn was a mere fly buzzing in a library compared to Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, Chris Barber, Elvis, Perez Prado and all the rest summoning the faithful to worship the beat...We had our own Alice in Wonderland in rock and roll rhythm (well, we had alligators and crocodiles seeing each other later, and rocking around clocks, and even old Beethoven rolling over with Long,Tall Sally etc in our whacky world)

The point of all this is really that dance will ever be moving to music, rythmically, elegantly or even crazily which matter not, we always hear the beat and not a one of the class of 1955 gives a xxxx about kicks and flicks. Old dog and new tricks is still relevant even in the millennium. A man half my age once told me he was going to teach me to jive. Mister, I replied, I was jiving/rock and rolling while your parents were learning the Funky Chicken and Simon Says. Pah! Hear it, dance it...

I thank you.....You dancing, You asking, Yes, Er no thanks...Here endeth the Monday ramble... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: SCD 2018 Tango's Honesty thread

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:31 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:

I think the An.ton comedy angle has worn well past its sell by date - the trouble with comedy is that you have to laugh with them rather than at them- I loved his relationship with Ruth last year as they were having a ball and she really did love it. .

Exactly - I've always been a bit of an A nton fan but I was very disappointed that he almost repeated the same samba routine as he did with Ruth - even down to the frilly trousers (although they were in a different colour). It was hilarious as a 'one off' but was so inappropriate for Susannah who is just not a comedy character and on her first week. I was also surprised as to me A nton has played down a lot of the comedy stuff in recent years it only evolved with Ruth because I think she wasn't a comedy character either but turned out to just be up for a bit of fun. It was far too early to risk this sort of routine with Susannah and has probably put her at risk of going out. I can understand that they probably didn't have a choice with the dance - awful to get this in the early rounds -and it was wiser of A nton to put it on the first week but I think if they had gone for a more dignified basic dance School samba then it would have won her (and him) more respect.

ps - love the Monday rants Mr T - here's another one for you Evil or Very Mad WHY OH WHY THE POINTLESS FLOOR SWEEP FINISHES that seem to have 'infected' SCD - at best they look ungainly and don't add anything to the finish of a dance - at worst the girl looks like sack of potatoes being thrown over the floor Laughing

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

Exactly - I've always been a bit of an A nton fan but I was very disappointed that he almost repeated the same samba routine as he did with Ruth - even down to the frilly trousers (although they were in a different colour).  It was hilarious as a 'one off' but was so inappropriate for Susannah who is just not a comedy character and on her first week.  I was also surprised as to me A nton has played down a lot of the comedy stuff in recent years it only evolved with Ruth because I think she wasn't a comedy character either but turned out to just be up for a bit of fun.   It was far too early to risk this sort of routine with Susannah and has probably put her at risk of going out.   I can understand that they probably didn't have a choice with the dance  - awful to get this in the early rounds -and it was wiser of A nton to put it on the first week but I think if they had gone for a more dignified basic dance School samba then it would have won her  (and him) more respect.

ps - love the Monday rants Mr T  -   here's another one for you Evil or Very Mad  WHY OH WHY THE POINTLESS FLOOR SWEEP FINISHES that seem to have 'infected' SCD -  at best they look ungainly and don't add anything to the finish of a dance - at worst the girl looks like sack of potatoes being thrown over the floor Laughing

Like I said earlier I am certain An.ton only rolls out the comedy routine when he knows his partner is without talent or struggling far too much with dance rudimentaries. Why does he do it so much? Because he is lumbered with the vast majority of the no hopers. He knows the British public are more likely to vote for them for the laughs provided than if he had done a serious Samba that would have been a serious disaster given his partner's lack of dance talent.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 pm

Caledonian the fabu-u-lus darling one wrote:I don't believe I said he has never had a talented partner just that he often gets laden with the duffers if there are duffers to be had.
My apologies CC I misinterpreted  your original comment- and I agree he does often get landed with the duffers
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:36 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:I was dismayed to see that the samba was being performed on week one – although Graeme gave it a great stab.  B4P made a great comment on another thread about some of the pros possibly being tactical and getting hard dances out of the way early and on a non-voting week – I would say that is about right.  
Did you hear Kevin's comment that the quickstep wasn't his choice for week 1?. He said he thought that they were mad when he was told which dance they'd be doing for week 1 (not sure who 'they' are).
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:48 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I wonder if the producers get to look at and assess the celebs dance ability ie during pre-series training for the first group dance prior to partnering up.
I'm sure all the pre-series practice sessions are taped and gone over in fine detail.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:53 pm

mauveangel09 wrote: WHY OH WHY THE POINTLESS FLOOR SWEEP FINISHES that seem to have 'infected' SCD -  at best they look ungainly and don't add anything to the finish of a dance - at worst the girl looks like sack of potatoes being thrown over the floor Laughing
Agree. Budget cuts? Saves bringing on the man with the large broom. The other option would be to attach some brushes to steady-cam-man's feet so the floor gets cleaned whilst he's zooming around.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Just to mention - Ian Waite and Vincent Simone are doing a dance show togehter from April onwards next year. Tickets now available
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 am

B4p wrote:
I'm sure all the pre-series practice sessions are taped and gone over in fine detail.

Yes I think it is a certainty. And those who do the pairing have a set system. Those that can't dance fob off to An.ton and give the talent or potential laden dancers to the likes of Alijaz, Gorka and Pasha whilst AJ gets the young pups. That is the male pro-dancers.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Strictly Come Dancing ( spelled "entertaining")....The aim: a Team of Professional Ballroom and Latin dancers each teach a pupil a set dance and are judged weekly on how well the pupil performs. Four Professional judges mark the contestants on how well they have learned and performed said dance....

The reality: The show is less and less about actual dance skills and more and more about the professionals, the clueless Creature of beauty and wonderment who choose the music, judges who can't agree what day it is and last but not least, the G,B.P, a mixed collection of humanity varying in age from four years old to one-hundred and four, most of whom have never been near a dance class in their lives and are expected to know the differences or degrees of difficulty between a jive, a waltz, a rumba, a paso doble a cha-cha, a quickstep, a salsa, a samba, a foxtrot, a Vienese and a tango. Hmmmm, and all this is before the contestants, who range from flirty, bright young things, professional athletes and gymnasts, famous B/B/C faces and sports stars, to overweight, unhealthy specimens, politicians etc, approaching bus pass and pension level, are added to the morass.

The solution....??????.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:38 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Strictly Come Dancing ( spelled "entertaining")....The aim: a Team of Professional Ballroom and Latin dancers each teach a pupil a set dance and are judged weekly on how well the pupil performs. Four Professional judges mark the contestants on how well they have learned and performed said dance....

The reality: The show is less and less about actual dance skills and more and more about the professionals, the clueless Creature of beauty and wonderment who choose the music, judges who can't agree what day it is and last but not least, the G,B.P, a mixed collection of humanity varying in age from four years old to one-hundred and four, most of whom have never been near a dance class in their lives and are expected to know the differences or degrees of difficulty between a jive, a waltz, a rumba, a paso doble a cha-cha, a quickstep, a salsa, a samba, a foxtrot, a Vienese  and a tango. Hmmmm, and all this is before the contestants, who range from flirty, bright young things, professional athletes and gymnasts, famous B/B/C faces and sports stars,  to overweight, unhealthy specimens, politicians etc,  approaching bus pass and pension level, are added to the morass.

The solution....??????.

The simple answer to that is a complete overhaul behind the scenes.

We need proper music for proper dances chosen perhaps by pro dancers or people in the know more so than a producer with an ear for music. Tighter guidelines on what each dance should contain - a bit like you get in ice dancing's required elements. A better scoring system with points for required elements and points for artistic impression. A much stronger stance on getting celebrities with plenty of previous dance experience. They should be genuine beginners. That is my take on it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 2 Empty RE: SCD 2018 Tango's Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:26 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Yes I think it is a certainty. And those who do the pairing have a set system. Those that can't dance fob off to An.ton and give the talent or potential laden dancers to the likes of Alijaz, Gorka and Pasha whilst AJ gets the young pups. That is the male pro-dancers.

I agree that AJ gets the young pups - but I suppose he does look and seem a lot younger than the other males. I slightly disagree because I do feel that both Gorka and certainly Pasha have had their share of those who can't dance, and early exiters and those who go out in between (in the case of Pasha one of them became his long term partner! Very Happy ) Pasha has had quite a few lean/unlucky years so I don't begrudge him someone with more potential even though she is a ringer. Equally A nton got to the final with Katie a few years ago and has regularly made Blackpool and the latter stages of the contest (in between his duff partner years).

More interesting to me is Kevin Clifton who never seems to have had a more 'challenging' partner - mostly bagging younger partners or those from the world of show biz- even Susan last year had potential to get quite a long way in the competition, he has struck very lucky over the years and it seems a bit fishy to me - those who reach a final are usually given more challenging/unknown quantities in the following season but not him. I would really like to see if he could cope with someone whois more challenged on the dance floor or older. I think the same about Giovanni too - much as I like him - he is another one who I'm not sure has the patience for someone who needs more teaching - I don't think he got on too well with one of his partners a couple of years ago who couldn't really keep up with him (can't remember her name now). The pros who get the most respect from me are those who can take partners of any ability, teach them well and take them further in the contest than was thought possible at first. 'Queen' Nathalie Lowe was brilliant at this.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:09 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

I agree that AJ gets the young pups - but I suppose he does look and seem a lot younger than the other males. I slightly disagree because  I do feel that both Gorka and certainly Pasha have had their share of those who can't dance, and early exiters and those who go out in between  (in the case of Pasha one of them became his long term partner! Very Happy )  Pasha has had quite a few lean/unlucky years so I don't begrudge him someone with more potential even though she is a ringer.     Equally A nton got to the final with Katie a few years ago and has regularly made Blackpool and the latter stages of the contest  (in between his duff partner years).

More interesting to me is Kevin Clifton who never seems to have had a more 'challenging' partner - mostly bagging younger partners or those from the world of show biz- even Susan last year had potential to get quite a long way in the competition, he has struck very lucky over the years and it seems a bit fishy to me - those who reach a final are usually given more challenging/unknown quantities in the following season but not him.   I would really like to see if he could cope with someone whois more challenged on the dance floor or older.   I think the same about Giovanni too - much as I like him -  he is another one who I'm not sure has the patience for someone who needs more teaching - I don't think he got on too well with one of his partners a couple of years ago who couldn't really keep up with him   (can't remember her name now).   The pros who get the most respect from me are those who can take partners of any ability, teach them well and take them further in the contest than was thought possible at first. 'Queen' Nathalie Lowe was brilliant at this.

Each pro dancer has their own mannerisms and strengths. Look at Brendan Cole he was mightily defensive of his partners to the point that he wouldn't accept criticism lying down from the judges. That was a trait that Simon Jordan had. When Alijaz first joined the show I never took to him but he comes across as very supportive of his partners and always enthusiastic. I agree with you about Natalie Lowe - she was great and find ways of getting the very best out of each of her partners. An.ton strengths we may not see so much but every partner he has had has always been very complimentary of his efforts with them. I miss Robin Windsor as well as he always had his partner's best interests at heart and always felt he tried to make it more about the celebrity than him.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 2 Empty Re; SCD 2018 Tango's Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:37 pm

Oh yes - Robin Windsor - I'd forgotten about him. You are right, I think he was a good teacher and very encouraging of his partners. I think he got ditched from SCD before his time Sad

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 pm

[quote="mauveangel09"]
I agree that AJ gets the young pups - but I suppose he does look and seem a lot younger than the other males.
AJ's not that much younger than Graziano. I guess he's got the baby face, boy next door vibe going on.

More interesting to me is Kevin Clifton who never seems to have had a more 'challenging' partner - mostly bagging younger partners or those from the world of show biz- even Susan last year had potential to get quite a long way in the competition, he has struck very lucky over the years and it seems a bit fishy to me - those who reach a final are usually given more challenging/unknown quantities in the following season but not him.   I would really like to see if he could cope with someone whois more challenged on the dance floor or older.  
I think they expected Kevin & Susan Calman to bomb last year

I think the same about Giovanni too - much as I like him -  he is another one who I'm not sure has the patience for someone who needs more teaching - I don't think he got on too well with one of his partners a couple of years ago who couldn't really keep up with him   (can't remember her name now).

I think they gambled on how good Debbaaaaaaaay would be with Gio last year. I agree it would be interesting to see how he'd cope with a duffer. I think in the end Robin got put with the celebs who needed more cherishing. I'm wondering if Pasha will start to move into that role.
I still think it's a shame that Neil didn't get a partner. Graziano's trying too hard for me.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:36 pm

My first thoughts on tonight's dances are:-

Stacey and Kevin's Cha Cha Cha:- An ungainly start. Good in hold and her timing was good. Although ungainly at times overall it was a fair dance. 6

Charles and Karen's Quickstep:- The mess-up aside I thought it was very good. He had nice rhythm and on the whole moved well but had moments of unsteadiness. 7

Katie and Gorka's Paso Doble:- It was very stompy throughout and the movements seemed robotic and placed giving it a not very natural feel. 4

Graeme and Oti's American Smooth:- It seemed like an incomplete dance. He wasn't completing his arm shapings and had a stop-start feeling to it. A shame as he seems to have good rhythm. 5

Kate and Alijaz's Tango:- She had very good characterization and expressed herself well. I enjoyed it. 7

Joe and Dianne's Charleston:- Not sure about the start or the prop use but he danced very well with good steps. 7

Susannah and Housewives choice's Foxtrot:- The dance suited her better but sadly there were errors and stopped it from flowing. 4.5

Lee and Nadia's Jive:- He had very good musicality (as he should be a musician) His steps were generally good but lacked hip movement. 6.5

Danny and Amy's Cha Cha Cha:- A jerky feel to his movement which the judges seemed to like but I didn't and seemed out of step at times. 6

Vicky and Graziano's Waltz:- This dance suited her. She was elegant throughout and expressed herself well with her arms. 7

Dr Ranj and Janette's Salsa:- Not sure about his posture at times (backside sticking out) but he had good rhythm and energy. Enjoyable routine. 6

Faye and Giovanni's Viennese Waltz:- Very polished but all meh to me given her dance experience. 8

Lauren and AJ's Charleston:- Good musicality. Didn't like the prop use. It was laboured in places and lacked attack as judges said. 6

Seann and Katya's Jive:- I thought it had good energy and his moves were good but sadly out of time but I enjoyed what he did. 6

Ashley and Pasha's Cha Cha Cha:- A ringer with great music was always going to be a high scorer. MEH. 8.5

To me it is clear who is the weakest dancer - Susannah but we shall see if Housewives choice's popularity pulls her through.

I felt the judges insulted my intelligence tonight the way they purred over Danny's content-packed dance. There is a reason for that - he has previous dance experience which his dance partner can see so is confident packing more into the routine knowing he can pull it off. And then Ashley's well-polished dance was drooled over with Darcey claiming she is a quick learner. Quick learner? No as Ashley had no learning to do. She has appeared in West End musicals and her CV lists her as singer/dancer.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

SCD 2018 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread - Page 2 Empty RE: SCD 2018 Tango's Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Another marathon night and a marathon post. Enjoyed the music tonight with one notable exception. In the main I approved of the ‘get tough’ stance by the judges and apart from a few ridiculously low scores by CRH I approved of the tougher scoring and even agreed with D arcey which is a first! I find I am treating the first two weeks like a ‘mini contest’ these days with the main contest beginning next week. It was surprising – some did better some did worse – I think my biggest surprise in a not good way was Graeme – but it was mainly because of the awful routine that Oti choreographed – what an earth was she thinking of????? Dance of the night for me was Danny and Amy followed equally by Charles and K aren (shock horror I actually liked something by Mrs C) and Alijaz and Kate.

Kevin and Stacey - 5
I was waiting for D arcey to use the ‘core’ word but she didn’t! I think Stacey is very flexible and certainly has a lot of energy which came through and it was a nice upbeat routine – but she is so ‘loose’ and there was very little cha cha technique in evidence – and much repetition – they repeated one step eight times – on a positive note she has good timing. I actually think they could be at risk going first and not making much of an impact – but I expect Kev will carry the day
Charles and Karen – 7
I loved this routine – it is very rare that I like something by K aren but I really enjoyed this because I thought it was a traditional quickstep quite low to the floor (best approach as he is a big guy). He had worked hard as ballroom isn’t coming naturally to him but it was good music had good technique and it wasn’t just a lot of wild running around!!

Katie and Gorka – 4
I thought that Gorka choreographed a nice basic paso with a lot in hold and I did think that she improved from last week in terms of confidence but it was all attack – which is not the paso and I knew CRH would pick up on the ‘stomping’. I think it is really hard for someone who hasn’t got a dance background or great dance ability to capture the true essence of a paso on week 2 and there I rest my case. Definitely at risk but might pick up some sympathy votes because she looked crestfallen as they went up the stairs to the Clauditorium and I noticed that she was absent upstairs for a lot of the show. #

Greame and Oti – 5
OMG - I wanted to love this after last week but I was a bit stunned. What was it? Such a strange mix of techniques. There was just not enough ballroom and he was flat footed in the bits that were in hold. Difficult to get an AS on the 2nd week as it is a bit early for lifts but at least stick to one dance style and teach him some technique……………….

Kate and Alijaz – 7
A really nice surprise for the 2nd week as to me it was a mean tango. Not over the top on the ‘attack’ but a confident performance that achieved the right balance for me. No stomping like many of the early Tangos can be. Loads of content and a lot in hold. Loved it - but for heavens sake someone put a muzzle on Alijaz when he keeps whooping and shouting at the end of each dance!!

Joe and Dianne – 6
I don’t think I rated it as high as the judges did. It was a great performance with loads of thrills and spills and a bit of Charleston in there – and he does have great energy and timing which bodes well but I did not like the ladder bit which I thought was unnecessary. All I can think is that it is time he got his trainers off and showed us whether he can master a real ballroom or latin dance and I hope that happens next week.

Susannah and A nton – 4
Oh dear! Lovely music and lovely routine – a proper Foxtrot but unfortunately she did’nt master it that well. I actually don’t think it was a complete dance ‘dis-ah-ster – she had improved and there were some good bits. Thought B runo’s comments were a bit cruel tbh. Must be at risk.

Lee and Nadiya – 6
Better than last week – thought he made a good job of it, quite a lot of ballroom jive steps and I was quite surprised as it looked dodgy in the training footage shown during the week but he did quite well on the night.

Danny and Amy – 8
Dance of the night for me – after being a bit down on them last week I loved this n umber and I thought it was a full on cha cha – enjoying Amy too and thought this routine was worthy of high scores.

Vic and Graziano – 6
Better than last week – you could see she had really worked hard this week and it was a graceful routine but not one that packed a big punch for me.

Dr Ranj and Janette – 5
A surprise in that it was not as good as I thought it was going to be despite the excellent music. I agreed 100% with the judges when they said they wanted more ‘figure of 8’ hips and basic salsa steps – I felt that although he gave a great performance and there were lifts and tricks – a lot of the time he was standing still and I felt that the salsa content wasn’t really there which is surprising as this is such a Janette dance. I hope Janette is capable of taking this man to w here he should be in the contest.

Fay and Gio – 8
She is the more likable out of the two top ringers for me. I liked this routine more as it went along and I preferred it to Ashley and Pasha’s last week. Great rotation and fleckrl - and plenty of VW in a slightly more dramatic interpretation which I liked.

Lauren and AJ – 5
Didn’t hit the heights of last week – although it was very athletic with the lifts and flying leaps which considering her arm were impressive – but the dance bits were lacking for me – she made a good effort at it but was obviously a bit challenged with this one.

Seann and Katya – 4
Thought the judges were a bit overly mean – yes he had a lot of issues but I actually quite enjoyed it and Katya’s clever choreography as always. Didn’t know what to make of him last week – but this week he was a laugh and it was entertaining – I don’t think he is going to get very far in the contest but at least he doesn’t take himself too seriously which is refreshing.

Ashley and P asha
Well what can you say? Fantastic routine to fantastic music but what more can you expect from a super ringer who is actually a pro. Fair play to Shirley for persisting with the constructive criticism and the lower marks. Americans don’t have great track record on this show you know…………..

Phew that was long Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next