Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly Books

+33
Poppetlovestango
jingle
saxonsiren
Lucielle
LOST-TANGO
lualen
2toTango
bluecat
salsarae
Kytiara
Toby Jugg
Admin
ewoodie
Alder
David Tee
ladycat
sparklysheila
133-230-44039-18180-800
Pat Shed
MrsArcanum
TompsHB
Mila
fkaIgor *LT*
Mslightfoot
TANGOLERO
allsewnonbyhand
Sid
Lilypad
fiftynotout
Frankie Spence
bomum
Sofajudge
Pink Pinot Girl
37 posters

Page 39 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

Go down

Strictly Books - Page 39 Empty Re: Strictly Books

Post  jingle Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Have only read about 30 pages so far Sax, though should get it finished by weekend hopefully.

Have also been reading the numerous veg growing books I got given at xmas....did you know a runner bean can grow up to an inch in a day Shocked Or, to keep on topic, the translation of Boris Pasternak, the author of Dr Zhivago, is Boris Parsnip. Somehow I feel I'm going to remember all the random facts like that and forget all the useful stuff.

Hope you're feeling better Sax - was it just a tummy bug, or the dreaded norovirus?
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:30 pm

A runner beanan " a day! !! How long is the longest runner bean!? Wow Boris Parsnip Shocked Anyways I think just a 24 hr thing managed to drink black tea & eat toast.Just feel shivery & tum sensitive.Tomorrow think I shalll try solids!! Ive started Me before You!! So far seems ok.Also got OH readingme facts from Bradley Wiggins book!!! Have some vouchers for Amazon too!!! Friend had Clare Baldings book & she seems hooked!

My Wolf Hall & Bring Up The Bodies both hardback books & one very thick!!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:57 am

Is January's book Life Of Pi?? Just in case I shall check stock re library!!! Anyone get any different books for Christmas?? OH enjoying Bradley Wiggins book!!! I haven't started JK Rowlings Casual Vacancy!!! My Hilary Mantle shallcome with me to Yorkshire!!! I feel a cottage & fire calling us

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:26 pm

Have finally finished Red Herring and posted review. Will make a start on Life of Pi now (or should I cheat and go see the film first!)

When are you going to Yorkshire Sax? Sounds cosy.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Jingle nooooooo not the film yet!!!! I also had thought of doing that as well!!! Very Happy Then I wondered whether it would change my perception of the book??Ive often read the book first then saw the film!!! Except for Interview With a Vampire!! & the first film ONLY of Twighlight books!!! After the film I stayed with the books so much better!! Good review re Red Herring Jingle!!! Wonder if the others have finished it too??If not LoP is there another you fancy?? book of course! Razz
Thought Yorkshie be March!!! Im also hoping to view a cottage for sale!!! Thinking of a second home/holiday let!! I just need a break & fresh air!
The Hilary Mantle book weighs a ton!! Could use it as an exercise work out!!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Life of Pi fine for me Sax, just have to pinch it off OH! Not sure who else in on board for the club?

Yes, I looked at the Mantel books in Waterstones and just thought I'd never manage to read anything so long. Will be very interested in your verdict on them.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  salsarae Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:44 pm

It's about 20 degrees here today! Very Happy It's pretty much the only thing stopping me from having a hissy fit! Mountain of things to do, including an airport run on public transport(not bad but -still) and the OH fails to meet me in the city so we can go shopping together, now I don't have time! Is it too early for a glass of wine?

Read the book first Jingle! I've now done both and although the film is awesome the book has the edge, and also one scene from the book in particular doesn´t make the film which I thought should have.

Have to start my Last Duchess, will get on it this week! I´m in, if a bit tardy if that´s ok? I can start the ball rolling with Life of Pi if you like though? Will also comment a bit on the film if that's ok?
salsarae
salsarae

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Sounds good to me Sals & Jingle!!! Life of Pi it is!!! I shall hop foot it to Library on Monday!!! Think the book first then the film sounds ideal!! Hopefully Alls finishes Red Herring! Wonder how Alls is enjoying Shardlake I think lila uses audio books & when chatted said would be interested!!
I shall write review on Wolf Hall once read LoP!!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya53 Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Happy New Year to all - so very glad I popped in as I have just downloaded Life of Pi on my (new Xmas Pressie) Kindle. Which i absolutely LOVE though I didn't think I would. Not sure how the bookclub works so please point me in the right direction as I do have some faves I would like to recommend. also some hates - fsog - total rubbish imo I was so bored by the same thing happening every few pages. Mills and Boon with a bit of fetish for the massess. But hey, everyone has different tastes and it obviously found a market. Anyway will come back when I have read Life of Pi.
Hope you all had a great Xmas and loads of luck and love in 2013. Maya xx
Maya53
Maya53

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 am

Hi Maya fantastic to have you in the book club!!! Life ofPi January book & we read & whoever finishes the book first starts a new topic here Ie Book Review of Lop! On this thread we advise review posted!!! Then when I post my review I don't read the review I skip to reply, then I write mine! then I read the other reviews & discuss the book!!! We score it & its amazing how some books fair!!!
We have a thread that shows books we have already read! & another with ideas for book club!!! We each take a turn on rota!!!
Btw we discussed 50 sog way back in Jan/feb last year before the hype & we all agreed not a book we fancied!!!!
So any ideas for books fantastic Maya!!! Ive always shied away from kindles!!! Love the feel of a book!!! My favourite books series by CJ Sansom his character Shardlake!! 5 books in series!!! Historical thrillers,comedies,period dramas,autobiographies (as long as over 50!!!) no M&B yuk some ducks Sci Fi affraid oops I said the word!!!!

Sax

Last edited by saxonsiren on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Ive reserved Life Of Pi from the Library!! Hopefully end of week its in!!! Library advised popular book as the film out!!! Very Happy

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Hoping LoP be in Monday!! Ive almost finished "me before you". A very emotional read!!! JK Rowling may try next.
Anyone read The 100 year old man who climbed oit of a window & disappeared?? Ive heard good reviews!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:02 pm

saxonsiren wrote:
Anyone read The 100 year old man who climbed oit of a window & disappeared?? Ive heard good reviews!!
I totally loved it Sax - it's pacy, a bit slapstick at times but very much a feel-good story. Just one note of caution, I think it's one of those books which has to be read pretty quickly - OH read a few chapters at a time and just couldn't get into it.

Btw I'm still waiting for him to finish Life of Pi before I can start it.

Great news to hear that Maya is joining us too Very Happy - if anyone else out there wants to get involved please do, there's no pressure to read all the books.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:03 am

Thanks Jingle for advising me re the book!!! Very Happy. Im next in line to read the 100 year old man!! Im waiting for my copy of LoP from the Library!! Everyone reading this book it seems!!! Great news re Maya & enjoying her Kindle!!! I keep looking at Kindles just not tempted yet!! I adore the feel of a book am I being biast re a Kindle??
Waiting for my week break for my Hilary Mantle books to read have to admit Im itching to start them!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Maya53 Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:14 pm

saxonsiren wrote:
Great news re Maya & enjoying her Kindle!!! I keep looking at Kindles just not tempted yet!! I adore the feel of a book am I being biast re a Kindle??

Sax
Sax, before I got my Kindle I felt exactly the same. But, Hallelujah, I am a convert. Completley. I can instantly access all the books I want, i must admit, it still feels like magic to me. Initially I got it for holidays, but because I can change the font size and therefore don't need specs, I have swiftly become accustomed to the Kindle attributes. Now please understand,this is out of character fro me, as I am usually a bit of a luddite in these matters, but as I said,I am converted. And I love my Kindle more than any other technolgy I have. Mayaxx
Maya53
Maya53

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Maya all my friends trying to convert me!!! I had said Ill try my friends Kindle to read a book & see!! For me the touch,feel & watching the thickness of the pages already read is a thrill! I know Im the old school.I shall try thou & hey I might be a hybrid half & half book/kindle.

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  salsarae Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:24 am

I'm the same Sax, and until our kindle got broken I was using it less than the rest of the family, that might have been because the OH was hogging it though! It does have its merits, I took it when I had to pick up from the airport, I always carry a book and a kindle is certainly lighter! I will be getting the screen fixed, but I also think I might get a tablet for reading on, the multifunctionality of them is better I think.
salsarae
salsarae

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:59 am

I have used this tablet to read a book on!! Your OH's!!! Very Happy I have the Samsung tablet & if I were to buy another tablet Id choose a Google Nexus!!! My sister has a Kobo? reader & finds it ok.I know the new Kindle Fire will give you internet access & the e books facility!! We have laptops a tablet & mac but no e readers in house!!! Ironic!!
Hope you slept ok Sals!!! Off to Oxford way for lunch Smile

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:07 am

Anyone read The Twelve Tribes of Hattie?The Daily Mail had it listed in their weekly book choice.I had a look on Amazon for reviews & only a few there! Average 3 stars.Still waiting for LoP might just buy it as OH may enjoy it.

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 am

Sorry, haven't read the Hattie book Sax.

Keep meaning to start Life of Pi - hopefully this weekend Very Happy
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Me too Jingle!!!Im going to check Amazon for their book sale!!! If LoP goes into February that's fine with me Very Happy I keep toying with opening my box set & starting Wolf Hall!!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 am

Ooh still waiting on LoP however Very Happy The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window And Disappeared phew will get Friday!!!! Ploughed hafway through A Casual Vacancy By JK Rowling & hit readersblock! Its very different & a hard slog!!
I know Im itching to absorb myself back into Cromwell era with Wolf Hall!!! Anyone had any new Christmas books?

Sax

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  salsarae Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:32 pm

Not personally but lots of young adult fiction for my girls! Which I just had to read too, I do love an easy read!

Got a Spanish family looking to relocate to the UK, and they want to be near an airport, good schools and not London area, was thinking Bristol way, anybody else got any recommendations?
salsarae
salsarae

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Well depends where they wish to fly too.Bristol has an Airport also Exeter & Southampton have airports!! Some nice parts round Exeter & Bristol. Other choice could be an hour away from Stanstead??

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 am

February I think will continue with Life Of Pi!! Think Sals already read this book.Its verypopular at the Library grrr one copy is late back.So toying with idea of seeing the film however will wait for book.Think next on list choose is Jingle.Maya hope your enjoying the Kindle!!!! Think Allsmust be curled up with Shardlake series Very Happy?

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next