Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

+8
Tappingfeet
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
diamondsandpearls
Sid
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
12 posters

Page 15 of 33 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 33  Next

Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 15 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:16 am

Some quick comments this morning as I couldn't post last night. I've only skim read everyone else and I agree with a lot of what has been said. Thought last night was very interesting - some more 'plateau' performances from most of them but very interesting for me personally as I was not as enamoured with some of my favourites last night whilst grudgingly admiring others.............................strange feeling!!

Alexandra - This was the first time I have been wowed by anything they have done in the competition!! One of the dances of the night for me - I thought this was one helluva cha-cha! - 9

Mollie - To me a lovely and elegant routine to a great track. She is a real ballroom girl. Shame about the stumble so I threw her a vote as I don't want to say goodbye yet and I have enjoyed AJ's choreography more this year. 7

Joe - Brilliant routine - Joe really 'does' character stuff. Although I thought this was a bit stage schooley - I really enjoyed it and the pace and choreography. 9.5. Thought it merited higher than Debbie's Tango actually.

Gemma -One of my faves but for the first time this didn't really move me and I agreed with the judges that it was heavy footed. Thought CRH marked too low though.

Aston and Janette - Nothing to add to S ids succint comments except this was truly awful. Why on earth would you get done up as Michael Jackson for a VW in the first place????????

A nton and Ruth - I actually loved this and there were some good steps in there. If only Ruth would 'act' a bit more she would be a decent dancer because she does get most of the footwork down ok - then came the disaster at the end!!!!! Hard to know how they will fare this week. 6

Debbie and Gio - My favourite but I'm glad others were a bit perplexed about the 4 '10s' - and the ridiculous display from CRH - he has so disappointed me by giving a 10 so early!!!!! I watched it back and it was a very lovely Tango with no faults and no rise and fall but I found it quite sharp. I think someone above - Jingle - has said that it might have been more moving if it were danced to better /traditional Tango music and I think I agree. A solid 9 from me.

Jonnie and Oti - I agree with the judges that he got the rhythm of the salsa better than he did the cha cha. Clever Choreography from Oti and he did showcase her with the lifts but I think he has reached his ceiling now.

Susan - Sadly Susan has also reached her ceiling for me. I appreciated the fun routine and it was an improvement on last week - they were clearly enjoying themselves. - but I thought it was overmarked.

Davood - I expected them to do well in a freestyle routine where they could basically do what they liked and close the show with an impact- not to take anything away from the performance, it was a really good and enjoyable routine and a great finish to the show. It should certainly save him from a trip to the DO this week - but breakthrough dance? Will reserve judgement on that. 9

Be back later.................. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 15 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  Tappingfeet Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 am

I enjoyed last night but went Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  at the C raig one bowing on the floor .I cringed at him and felt mortified for Debbie .What was his motivation for that ? Then in my opinion the C raig has a motivation for everything and I am truly not a fan of his .
Shirley seems to spend her time worrying that she will say the wrong thing and looking for reassurance that she didnt .

I loved watching Joe   and thought it was clever and fun and enjoyable and best of the night for me

I loved Mollie gentle dance and I  just hope she is safe I threw her all three of my online votes .

I cannot see past Davood open mouth  and cannot get over the fact that not one judge mentioned it yet .He looks like a goldfish  that needs fresh water .

Jonnie is a wonderful person and a joy to listen to and feel his positivity .But his posture was dreadful and getting worse  and he looked lumpy and stompy

Susan is now believing her own hype i think and feels she is better than she actually is , though I will admit her jive was actually ok . But am a tad weary  the fun fun fun funnity  now

Ruth and Housewives choice do nothing for me and the  sight of Eamonn even  less so

Gemma  I love and I think she has come so far but she was a bit clunky and heavy last night  

Aston , I am starting to warm a  tiny bit to him but what on earth was he dancing last night .? It looked awful, music was dreadful and the costumes ??? No , not for a waltz please .A waltz deserves better .Once again the fabu-u-lus darling one had some motivation for that 4 , but cannot figure it out

Alexandra . Yes a great dancer , yes very watchable , yes a great partner and great choreography  but her gushing and faux 'umbleness  and faux gratefulness and faux fauxness is really obvious and grating and so damn annoying now

My final would be Joe , Mollie and Gemma  just to watch how non ringers can improve and enjoy and do well .Right this minute I would give Joe the crown as I could watch him all day long .

Oh , and did I see somewhere up above or dream it that someone wrote Mr Tappingfeet ? I am a Mrs Tappingfeet  from Ireland and no dancing knowledge whatsoever at all .
And someone mentioned  Darren and Lilya  doing DWTS Ireland next year .They actually did the choreography last year and Darren sat as guest judge too . I loved them on it they were so sweet and lovely .
Tappingfeet
Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 15 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:35 am

Well I agree with most of the comments...

A.non bless just love how he handles stress/and disasters darlings. Ribs hurt not pure dancing but pure entertainment.

Alex No A zip required I'm fed up of self gushing. I cannot get beyond my marmite feeling and bone. .. another DO for me

Joe bless your cotton socks slowly, slowly catch the monkey improving. .... my darkhorse from week 9ne...

Davood gives glimpses of improvement I want more but not more YASB

Aston omg set up to fall? What in God's name did that outfit have to do with VW or the music Evil or Very Mad

The rest well Gemma had a bit of a mare and Susan think running out of steam. Jonnie needs Oti to simplify and tone up basic steps hold and elaborate them more....

I said earlier expecting a shock appearance in dance off again. ....
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:57 am

This might not be the best time to look a this, but for me, honesty must prevail (even if it's only my view of it). It's why I started the thread way back and it's really great to see honest opinions from everyone else. So....(load up the flintlocks and sharpen the daggers)..here goes. My topic is not strengths or praise, but weaknesses that may affect results outside of good dance.( We have to remember that professional judges are there to "judge" not grant favours and that a display of personal favouritism must never be seen on national TV..(unless you happen to be a certain very personal opinionated perfectionist with a giant ego, of course). The very thought of such a judge kneeling and bowing to a contestant in run-up rounds is a sin we should never think of happening in our most aggressive thoughts).. Evil or Very Mad

Gemma. Some one commentied on her being a "big girl"..she is. In any other environ but total competition she is a very attractive lady, but weight can affect movement and lifts when they are judged and like for like becomes unlike. How can Gemma be compared against a budgie like Debbie when four somersaults and sixteen triple toe-loops are required ( a daft memory of the scene in Strictly Ballroom where Shirley is thrown in the air and takes ten minutes to come down creeps into my subconsciousness.. Very Happy )? Gio could probably train with her in a rucksack on his back without too much effort. Could the same be said for Alijaz, strong man though he is? This unevenness outside of technique has to be there, or there would be no competition, but some factors must restrict the pros in what they can use as choreography, and at what stage it can't be ignored? It's more or less show dance time and I feel that stage is now and because of it, who is really safe ( the G.B.P vote apart?) if the judges are being entirely honest themselves.

Ruth. Done brilliantly in the dance and still has a ballroom style figure, but not a naturally athletic person and ( a bit like A nton) fighting against Father Time.

Susan. Terrific personality, amazing vitality and a genuine liking of what she's at, but again, not the sylph-like goddess of slink and slither. It can count. It probably will.

Jonni. Amazing man, athletic, proficient dancer and thoroughly likeable personality. He will have certain limitations, posture, shape etc, that will possibly count against him. At the sharp end, little short of perfection will take the day.

Mollie. Can she move up beyond where she has reached so far? She has shape, some athleticism but not, for me, that last bit of pzazz that's needed. I could be very wrong.

That leaves (the two unignorables apart), Budgie, Joe, Davood and probably Gemma after discounting the above....but then again, when did any of that really count against the might of the i-phone finger? It could all go so wrong.. Twisted Evil
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Sid wrote:Joe - I had a feeling he'd thrive at this because there's a certain freedom to the Charleston and it's all character-driven which are Joe's strengths. For me though, it was overly-themed and too fancy-dress. I felt like I was watching two people dancing for kids.

mauveangel09 wrote:Joe -  Brilliant routine - (...)  Although I thought this was a bit stage schooley (...)

Although you both enjoyed this routine much more than I did, you've managed to pinpoint more accurately what I felt was wrong with it. Especially the stage schooley bit. I thought their costumes/characters held them back. The toy soldiers translated into stiffness in the routine which wasn't as loose as it could have been. Just for me obviously.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:14 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Gemma. Some one commentied on her being a "big girl"..she is. In any other environ but total competition she is a very attractive lady, but weight can affect movement and lifts when they are judged and like for like becomes unlike.

The "big girl" quote - mea culpa! But I entirely agree - she's a very attractive lady and when I say she's a big girl I by NO means imply that she's fat. It's just that she's large framed, and not as strong in her core as Debbie (I love the "budgie" name) or some of the others are, and her weight is against her here. She also doesn't seem to have as much strength in her legs as some of the others. It often translates into a lack of bounce or spring in her step. I thought the Jive showed this particularly. I still love her!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:41 pm

Assessing the non-ringers is a little easier now as their strengths and weaknesses are becoming more apparent.

Gemma seemed to be the leader of the pack of non-ringers until we saw her achilles heel last night. She had a clear tentativeness about the lifts and thereafter she looked really cumbersome in her dance. She needs to address this issue or try to avoid them if she can.

Mollie is still lacking that top gear. She just seems to be not able to throw everything into a dance. Why that is I don't know? Perhaps she is naturally pensive about learning new stuff and putting it on display in front of the TV cameras live and she has to look to cut out these errors that crop up more frequently than they do with Gemma.

Jonnie's problem (to me) is evident. is posture is the poorest of everyone else left in. If he isn't hunched over his backside is sticking out for spells in dances. A shame as he has good rhythm but that counts for nothing if he can't sort out his posture.

Ruth's issue is that she is learning at a slower rate than the rest and seems to be playing a constant game of catch-up. Her dances are clearly improving as is her confidence but she is still behind the rest but time is running out fast for her.

Davood's problem for me is lack of discipline. He gets carried away out of hold and loses the essence of the dance. Ballroom is his strength where he is in hold and kept under control so to speak. When let off the leash he just loses his discipline.

Joe's issue is (maybe was now) a lack of consistency. He can go from a great dance to a poor dance in successive weeks setting him back. However, in the last couple of dances he has tied together two impressive dances and he is now perhaps top dog of the non-ringers.

Susan's problem is she is enjoying herself too much and over-enthusiasm sees her attacking dances too much. Some dances are more laid back in nature ands her enthusiasm needs reining in. She loses a lot of flow and style in certain dances and I don't see her correcting that.

I see the rest as ringers so will omit my thoughts on them here as it isn't so much fun talking about those that come in pre-trained in dance.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Twirlie wrote:

The "big girl" quote - mea culpa! But I entirely agree - she's a very attractive lady and when I say she's a big girl I by NO means imply that she's fat. It's just that she's large framed, and not as strong in her core as Debbie (I love the "budgie" name) or some of the others are, and her weight is against her here. She also doesn't seem to have as much strength in her legs as some of the others. It often translates into a lack of bounce or spring in her step. I thought the Jive showed this particularly. I still love her!

Interesting though because pre strictly she was well known for being a gym bunny with a very toned physique, including I would say her core, so perhaps it is something in her dance technique that is missing?
You're both right she is a big girl in the sense of having a large frame but I thought lifts were more about the technique than the actual weight, to a degree?
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

I agree re the physical differences be they height, weight, long limbs, short limbs, bladesn& prosthetics, no rthymn and flat feet. All these affect how dance can be choreographed and played out to strengths and hide weaknesses, Miss Budgie aka Debbie thou I for some strange reason visualise a canary! Her strength lies in posed beautifully placed legs stuck in air, behind in front or to the four corners of the globe each week. Arms pretty much the same charisma imitating that bored looking ballerina going around and around trapped in the jewellery musical box .Now Gemma a different kettle of fish she brings an honest down to earth approach of the girl next door work hard and can achieve a high standard. Gemma gives for me a bit more of her natural personality than budgie posing on a perch...
Jonnie works hard and has really achieved a lot after losing a limb. He will have some balance issues compared to others and will adapt routine and there goes my theory.... The ability to adapt and strive for a better dance to show a difference each week albeit a tiny one. Budgie for me can be tossed around like a Mediterranean Salad and still look like a 5 star Michelin dish YET I'm fed up of this dish I wish for the slightly wobbly centre, the not so perfect hospital corners, I want to see their personality a little bit of them in their routine. Ed for me a perfect example I actually didn't expect a lot even rolled eyes up to the ceiling when he was announced however how that mask stripped from my eyes to witness and enjoy his j.ourney his performance each week. A total turn around for me as a viewer. I guess I'm still waiting as Elton would croon for Debbie to perform this way...

C.raig I'm aware right now I'm dosed up paracetamol plus, ibrufren,strepsils,albus oil,honey & lemon and feel No BUT when you as a judge bowed before contestant I thought my head would r e c r e a t e the scene from E x o r c I s t and turn s l o w l y round and puke pale .. Never have I been so disappointed with C,raig......

Right I'm on temp of 99 and ready to flop........ apologies

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:24 pm

saxonsiren wrote: Miss Budgie aka Debbie thou I for some strange reason visualise a canary! Her strength lies in posed beautifully placed legs stuck in air, behind in front or to the four corners of the globe each week.

I said the same in my dance summary last night. That placed leg trick is getting highly tedious now. Jeez they are even finding ways to fit it into a Tango where there is no place for it....and twice at that. Shocked
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 pm

CC I totally relate and wait for the "leg" incidents now.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:03 pm

'Budgie'.... lol! lol! lol! My ribs are still aching and I'm still wiping the tears away Very Happy

But absolutely spot on!

I think the question of core is an interesting issue. It seems to be letting so many of them down. I have said this before, but given the importance of it in dance technique you would think the pros would have their partners down the pilates studio within the first hour. Like Tango I am going to be unflatteringly honest - here goes.... Debbie seems to have a reasonable core actually, slight wobbles but nothing too major, and that flummoxes me as she has quite a pot belly on her tiny frame, which usually suggests poor stomach tone. Yes, she has had a child and that makes a HUGE difference, but her tummy seems about the same size as Ruth's but on a much, much smaller frame. Which is just confusing the hell out of me - women who have had kids but have regained a strong core lose all but a little bit of tummy (in my experience in doing Pilates and other core-strengthening based classes)

Conversely, as Allsewn says, Gemma is never out of the gym and is pretty honed and toned so you would think she had a core of steel, but she has also displayed some wobbliness in the core-area. It is possible that she has been concentrating on other areas in the gym though.

Molly is very neat and petite, but I don;t think she has ever really worked on her core and I think this is why she has never had a truly fantastic dance.

Alex has an iron core though - not sure what she has done. But maybe her general training for performance just builds up a strong core - and of course the singing comes fro the diaphram.

Jonnie you would also think would have good posture through a strong core given he is an athlete, but he positively stoops. Can;t work it out...

My tip for a strong core is to run down very high hills on lumpy, rocky uneven paths - it is so terrifying your whole core is clenched and wrapped round you in a bid not to slip and break your ankle or worse.... Works for me!

Hope you are feeling a bit better Sax and that temperature goes down. Hotwater bottle and bed.... mwah!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 15 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm

It's not wholly about a strong core.........it's important but not the whole story by any means -which is why whilst sports people do have a strong core it doesn't mean that they are going to be good dancers - and in the spirit of being honest having a good strong core doesn't turn you into a good dancer - it helps with the control yes - but in the spirit of being honest, if you've got the rhythm, and can portray different atmospheres in your dance - 'light and shade' subtle and attack then this is just as important. I've seen plenty of good dancers who don't spend hours in the gym and many of the ballet/core trained people actually don't make it through to the end of SCD.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:08 pm

On another subject................the more I think about it, I just cannot work out CRH's strange behaviour with Debbie last night???? No No Over the years we have seen so many sublime '40' dances on SCD and yet he is moved to act in the way he did for what was yes, a great Tango, but not any different in all honesty to what we have seen on many occasions over the years??? confused I don't get it..................(and I am a Debbie fan). I would love to ask him?? The whole incident has clouded my thoughts on last night.....................

Have enjoyed sitting and reading everyone's comments. I have mused a bit on my views of last night - I really enjoyed Alex's dance (I still don't rate them as a couple) but I appreciated the performance - I loved the classic red cha cha dress and it put me in mind of the cha cha done by Matthew Cutler and A lisha. But when I thought on it I asked myself whether I liked it because it was so professional - (like the judges said) and I just think that on the ringer scale, Alex is probably over the line for me because honestly - this isn't someone who has just had a bit of training way back when, but is dancing on stage for their day job - hmmm............

At the complete opposite end of the scale - A ston showed for me last night that just because you are a ringer, doesn't mean that you are always going to excellent at ballroom and latin ( a genre that people spend years perfecting). You can only go so far with performance - ballroom is not about 'just picking it up' and I think we saw last night, that ringer or not - you need a pro who is going to teach you some of the basics at least. I note that with Janette she always seems to throw all her good stuff into the first few weeks in order to get her celebrity through the initial phase which is no bad thing in a way but then she seems to have nothing left for the latter half of the competition. She has had several good partners in the past who have just 'fizzled' out having been subjected to some dodgy choreography along the way........................... Shocked For this reason I no longer feel that A ston is an automatic shoe in for the final.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:25 pm

saxonsiren wrote:
C.raig I'm aware right now I'm dosed up paracetamol plus, ibrufren,strepsils,albus oil,honey & lemon and feel  No  BUT when you as a judge bowed before contestant I thought my head would r e c r e a t e the scene from E x o r c I s t and turn s l o w l y round and puke pale .. Never have I been so disappointed with C,raig......
lol! lol!
Fab description Sax! (hope you're on the mend by now  flower )
On the re-watch I didn't think their tango merited a 40, a full set of 9s would've been more apt imo.  But CRH's reaction was absurd and so out of character, and followed the week of Shirley handing over the queen of the latin crown.  I really think the judges' adoration of Debbie might alienate some voters (similar to when L.en called someone a 'national treasure' 'people's champion' etc).
I wish the judges would behave more like judges this year. Sit down when there's a standing ovation. no kissing, no title-giving, and definitely no bowing to the s.lebs.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:00 pm

The Shock Dance-off :
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:18 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:It's not wholly about a strong core.........it's important but not the whole story by any means -which is why whilst sports people do have a strong core it doesn't mean that they are going to be good dancers - and in the spirit of being honest having a good strong core doesn't turn you into a good dancer - it helps with the control yes - but in the spirit of being honest, if you've got the rhythm, and can portray different atmospheres in your dance - 'light and shade' subtle and attack then this is just as important.   I've seen plenty of good dancers who don't spend hours in the gym and many of the ballet/core trained people actually don't make it through to the end of SCD.

Oh, no, of course not. I agree that rythm is much more important. But for a dancer than shows rythm - which Mollie has for example - then it seems a shame not to get their core engaged for, as you say, the control aspect. Rythm is more of an instinctive, intuitive thing and though not inmpossible to teach is harder than teaching someone who has rythm to begin with to tighten up their core. As you say, ballet dancers often don't make through to the end because they are all about control and often lack natural rythm (or at least the ability to let go and feel it). C.raig often says that sometimes it is better to just let go and forget about perfecting technique so that the performance side is better and less forced.

I'm off to fling myself down Causey Pike in order that my core is as tough as old boots for when I get the SCD call.... Wink Wink
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 pm

I was so annoyed by the scoreboard this weekend, thought there was some very questionable scores. Then very disappointed by both Mollie and Aston ending up in the DO, with much weaker dancers getting through. But hey ho, I guess that's the nature of Strictly.  
I thought Shirley called it right tonight, Mollie's footwork looked much cleaner. But I was sorry to see Aston go - he was my favourite of the ringers. Impressive acrobatics in their leaving dance (I imagine Janette had planned to showcase his gymnastic skills later on in the series).

Feeling deflated about this weekend's show Crying or Very sad
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Sorry - me again...

So excited about having uninterrupted wifi that I actually watched the end of the result show.  Was gobsmacked to see who was in it...

I think Janette made an Erin-doll-showdance mistake with her theming and choreography for the VW and hopefully is regretting it. I think Shirley (and C.raig) made the right call. A.ston is at present a better dancer overall than Mollie (even though I don;t much take to him) but AJ's proper choreography for a Foxtrot gave Mollie a chance to just get things right and do a lovely dance. Janette's choreography lost the whole essence of the dance and Aston just couldn't shine and it was an awkward, unconfortable dance to watch - not beautiful and swirling as the VW should be. I feel very sad for Aston and feel he was let down by Janette's theme and choreography.

Still, it makes things more interesting and opens up the field a little. At least there will only be one ringer in the finale now....

But did you see Aljaz's little face when Janette and Aston were knocked out - he was gutted Crying or Very sad
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 pm

The Twitter page of Strictly is in melt down with fans seething at the result and swearing they won't watch it again. Do me a favour eh? Aston came into this highly skilled and goes against what this show should be all about. Why don't we just go the whole hog next year and invite Robin Cousins, Jayne Torvill, Christopher Dean, Lionel Blair,Tommy Steele etc etc onto the show.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm hoping on ITT C,raig explains that bow towards Debbie and the 10... Why? So many,many fabulous dancers before in previous series yet no bow for them. I wonder if the judges feel a hand upon their shoulder a whisper of your days are numbered?
Alijaz will be gutted for Janette.

I'd like to see reason musicality director chose that song for a VW....
Shock exits always produce a wave of twitteretti comments and fb too.... I'd like to hope now the judges might start scoring fairly and picking up on pigeon toes, to stop fawning over favourites and see different sides to each performer. ..

The middle table the red zone so any of my favourites there I'm voting for them , Joe, Gemma, Jonnie. .. Susan you have had a good run as has Ruth and Davood ... Debbie I do not wish to see a campaign to crown her the winner to prove age isn't a hindrence. I'd have liked skill, enthusiasm the ability to adapt and add softness and shade, to add passion and darkness. To give me goosebumps and tingle after watching for the 2nd even 3rd time.

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 pm

saxonsiren wrote:I'm hoping on ITT C,raig explains that bow towards Debbie and the 10... Why?  So many,many fabulous dancers before in previous series yet no bow for them. I wonder if the judges feel a hand upon their shoulder a whisper of your days are numbered?
Alijaz will be gutted for Janette.

I'd like to see reason musicality director chose that song for a VW....
Shock exits always produce a wave of twitteretti comments and fb too.... I'd like to hope now the judges might start scoring fairly and picking up on pigeon toes, to stop fawning over favourites and see different sides to each performer. ..

The middle table the red zone so any of my favourites there I'm voting for them , Joe, Gemma, Jonnie. .. Susan you have had a good run as has Ruth and Davood ... Debbie I do not wish to see a campaign to crown her the winner to prove age isn't a hindrence. I'd have liked skill, enthusiasm the ability to adapt and add softness and shade, to add passion and darkness. To give me goosebumps and tingle after watching for the 2nd even 3rd time.

That's what has been missing this series. A goosebump-inducing performance.

Still, there's time....

On the subject of the Social Media backlash, I noticed that Mollie looked worried rather than relieved - perhaps she realised that this might happen and that she wouldn't be popular because of it. That's a real shame, because Mollie is one of the lovelier contestants and her partnership wiht AJ has made me warm to him so much more, and appreciate his choreography skills. She needs, to picke herself up, dust herself off and carry on being elegant and charming and looking suitably princess-y.

It's between her and Joe now, in my popularity contest.....
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Can we really be that surprised at anything on Strictly? At least two others (and probably Ruth and An ton too, much as I like him as a dancer,) should have gone before tonight's dance off. Ruth is weaker than Mollie or Aston and might just be the bottom rung of that particular ladder, with Susan and Jonni not far above), but Mollie's dance was clean, error free and simple ballroom, besides being much more entertaining because of it than the Sweeney Todd show of Aston (who is decidedly a far better dancer). I was pretty much certain that if it got to a Shirley decision she would go for a straight Foxtrot over a weird Vienese Waltz set in a barber shop, with even weirder music done by a bloke in an Afro wig and Earth, Wind and Fire's wardrobe souveniers.( She's a Ballroom specialist and text-book technique feind). Sorry Jannette, but you have to cop for some of that! On with the motley. Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:18 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Can we really be that surprised at anything on Strictly? At least two others (and probably Ruth and An ton too, much as I like him as a dancer,) should have gone before tonight's dance off.  Ruth is weaker than Mollie or Aston and might just be the bottom rung of that particular ladder, with Susan and Jonni not far above), but Mollie's dance was clean, error free and simple ballroom, besides being much more entertaining because of it than the Sweeney Todd show of Aston (who is decidedly a far better dancer). I was pretty much certain that if it got to a Shirley decision she would go for a straight Foxtrot over a weird Vienese Waltz set in a barber shop, with even weirder music done by a bloke in an Afro wig and Earth, Wind and Fire's wardrobe souveniers.( She's a Ballroom specialist and text-book technique feind). Sorry Jannette, but you have to cop for some of that! On with the motley. Wink

Judging purely on the two dances then it was clear to me Mollie's dance was that bit more polished and had the better choreography. Sure fans will claim its a travesty that Aston has gone (elsewhere not on here) but for me it was a travesty he was on the show at all given his previous dance experience.

If you watch the body language of D'Arcey as she opted to save Aston she was looking down - sure fire sign she knew she was making the wrong call. CRH and Shirley made the right shout for me. Sure the dance-off should have been between Ruth and maybe Jonnie but hey ho I'd sooner see Ruth continue her genuine quest at attempting to learn o dance than Aston continuing on being indistinguishable with the dance pros.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:35 pm

So we've established that a twirly Viennese Waltz doesn't fuse with funk & soul - because that wasn't already blindingly obvious.

Janette's an absolute sweetheart but she's also a massive liability. Even if producers dictate the music, this wasn't a one-off thing. There's been a long-standing question mark over her Ballroom which is almost always done with a 'modern twist' and poorly taught technique. You have to stay at least somewhat faithful to what the dances are. None of Aston, Jake or Peter ever broke out of their own way of dancing and the common link is their pro partner.

I was actually more surprised by (and felt bad for) Mollie finding herself in her second consecutive dance off because the previous week's bottom two are almost guaranteed a bounce back vote boost but she didn't get it. Can't have felt nice.

I expect Shirley's getting a lot of stick out there but she chose right.

Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 33 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 33  Next