Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

+8
Tappingfeet
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
diamondsandpearls
Sid
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
12 posters

Page 14 of 33 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23 ... 33  Next

Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 14 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  saxonsiren Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:11 pm

I never watched the first series or the second either I just didn't fancy it enough to move from XF No No . I watched because 9f Colin Jackson and became hooked. I found ITT towards the latter part of the series and kookie lovely unspoilt and natural C.laudia. I too, felt Gough won because of those Bloomin dolls oh E,rin oh E,rin how could you
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 14 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Interesting comment with one undeniable truth to consider: If you had chocolate ice cream for every meal you'd very soon get sick of it, not because it's ice cream, but because of the lack of variety. For me, this is what's happened with Strictly.It's a bit like being force fed diets of what producers see as rating magnets (complete with some truly awful music choices) . Strictly has been a monster sucess story and spawned other shows and re-awoken an intrest in Ballroom and Latin dancing; it's also thirteen years ago since it began (frighteningly it's thirty years since Patrick Swayze, now sadly deceased before his time- brought us Dirty Dancing,affraid  and Twenty five years since we first saw Strictly Ballroom. affraid With both, they still have their appeal (I watched Strictly Ballroom again  only a week ago) but it's mainly because we can have plenty time between viewings. With Strictly, as a weekly show, it is very much in need of something new. That something has to be about partner dance and needs something like LLambada, Mambo, Ceroc (or Leroc) Carioca, etc to replace Rumba, possibly one Tango, Charleston and maybe even Salsa. Half of Spain would tune in to watch if Sevillanas were included. All are partner dances needing skill and grace.

In other words, modernise the show. It isn't for me or my era (what's left of it), like D & P I'm a Fred and Ginger, Big Band era lover, but to inroduce some much needed variety and get the audiences shouting for more.. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that things were called "Modern Waltz" and the Valeta, Gay Gordons and Dashing White Sergeant ruled the ballrooms. Frightening isn't it....

lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:40 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:With Strictly, as a weekly show, it is very much in need of something new. That something has to be about partner dance and needs something like LLambada, Mambo, Ceroc (or Leroc) Carioca, etc to replace Rumba, possibly one Tango, Charleston and maybe even Salsa. Half of Spain would tune in to watch if Sevillanas were included. All are partner dances needing skill and grace. In other words, modernise the show.
I agree Tango. I despair of seeing a decent samba, or a rumba that doesn't make me squirm. I suppose all the pros learn the classic 10 dances, so that's the format they're used too. It wasn't that long ago that other pros were brought in to teach the Strictly pros how to salsa and do the Argentine tango. It shouldn't be that difficult for the pros to learn at least one new dance ready for next season. I'd love to see some mambo. I like the Charleston, but could quite happily ditch the salsa and rumba.

I think the theme nights could reduce from 3 to 2 and the actual themes could be modified each year. There's only so many musicals after all. What about a Literary theme? Tango could see some 'Austin' inspired ballroom. A paso to Hemingway's 'Fiesta'. Charleston to a Roald Dahl theme. A foxtrot to Thomas Hardy's 'Far From the Madding Crowd'. A Roddy Doyle inspired Cha Cha etc. With a bit of thought, a lot of new themes could be tried. A week of weather inspired themes would be easy.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 am

B4p wrote: I like the Charleston, but could quite happily ditch the salsa and rumba.
I'm with you B4. I enjoy the Charleston but find the rumba excruciating most of the time and the salsacha has all melded into one for me. If we ditched the salsa maybe the cha cha and samba would get a higher profile. It seems like they're the cinderellas of the series and the  ones to get done early doors if possible when in fact they could be brilliant.

B4p wrote: I think the theme nights could reduce from 3 to 2 and the actual themes could be modified each year. There's only so many musicals after all. What about a Literary theme? Tango could see some 'Austin' inspired ballroom. A paso to Hemingway's 'Fiesta'. Charleston to a Roald Dahl theme. A foxtrot to Thomas Hardy's 'Far From the Madding Crowd'. A Roddy Doyle inspired Cha Cha etc. With a bit of thought, a lot of new themes could be tried. A week of weather inspired themes would be easy.

cheers I totally agree, don't get stuck in the same old theme weeks. I fear they will never ditch Halloween but there's plenty of scope for some others than movie / musicals week.
literary week would be fab and think of the lovely costumes, the A line dresses and cutaway frock coats for Austin, beautiful ballgowns for a waltz.....maybe this is the key to what we've all being saying about the lack of glamour that seems to be creeping in. We want sequins sparkles and swooshing silks!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:14 am

I so agree with everyone. The show does need some refreshing, and the introduction of at least one new dance is overdue imo.

Fear we're stuck with Halloween, but a literary week would be a great replacement for movie or musicals week (just so long as they don't go down the line of Gruffalo and Noddy books). Also, I'd love a show when the singers get the night off and the orchestra get to play iconic pieces.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:18 am

jingle wrote: Also, I'd love a show when the singers get the night off and the orchestra get to play iconic pieces.

If only Jingle. Probably, due to contractual terms, that's highly unlikely. Great pity I magine what they could do with War of the Worlds music alone, Fleetwood's Mac's Albatross, Shadows stuff, hey, one of the best versions of the Romeo and Juliet theme versions I heard was by Duane Eddy affraid I loved it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiiHpeibwdI

or Sky and this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0GW1GBEDY

or this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-R4spJ3SY

There are a million great instrumental tracks recorded..
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 14 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:46 am

I agree that the show should refresh every few years and needs to 'mature' a bit to cater for what is now a more discerning audience.

Personally I would prefer to stick to the 10 dances plus what we have now although mixing up the theme weeks would allow for some new dances to be introduced - so if you had a literary week they could do some of the 'old time' ballroom dances.   I love Jingle's idea of an instrumental week - whilst I really like the singers I also really like it when couples dance to instrumental tracks and there are plenty of them out there.   You could go one step further with this and make a composers week which would include tracks by the composers who have done great dance tracks - Irving Berlin, (some glitz and glamour) Rodgers and Hammerstein, some classical tracks as well for paso and latin etc   (bit like they did at the Strictly Prom a couple of years ago)   and perhaps a group n umber of a Viennese Waltz danced to Strauss??

I really enjoyed the 'Round the World Theme' that they did a couple of years ago - this has the scope to introduce some new dances - particularly latin n umbers like Mr T has mentioned - or an 'American Night' would be quite good because you could have all the Fred and Ginger ballroom, Sinatra and the crooners and some New York and Miami latin stuff - Mambo/Hustle/Salsa - I'm getting carried away now.....................    I loved 'Dance Fusion' but could only be done on a quarter final or after Blackpool as it is quite complex  and finally I would love to see a return to all the couples doing an Argentine Tango in the semi-final   (won't happen of course  Sad )    but I do wish we could have a return of some 'exhibition dancing' by the pros - perhaps on Sunday night?    I used to love it when V incent and F lavia did the AT.     I wish they would just get rid of anything with a '.....thon'   on the end -  (waltzathon, jiveathon etc) and think about putting something worthwhile in the show as less couples remain at the end.      Amen   Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:53 pm

I'd ditch the Salchamba Liftathon tomorrow but I'm gonna stand up for the Rumba. I'm prepared to clench my butt through a gazillion of them if we get the odd beauty like Colin's, Kara's or Rachel's. I know celebs find the dance difficult to grasp but I'm all for testing them AND it's nice to have at least one Latin dance that isn't done at breakneck speed.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:00 pm

Sid wrote:I'd ditch the Salchamba Liftathon tomorrow but I'm gonna stand up for the Rumba. I'm prepared to clench my butt through a gazillion of them if we get the odd beauty like Colin's, Kara's or Rachel's. I know celebs find the dance difficult to grasp but I'm all for testing them AND it's nice to have at least one Latin dance that isn't done at breakneck speed.
That's a fair point Sid. Maybe save it as a semi final dance alongside the AT so we don't have to suffer the butt clenching early doors Embarassed
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:27 pm

Wow- what a show -I have absolutely no idea who will be in the DO after that! I think it's fair to say everyone raised their game. More detailed comments to follow ...
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Here are my thoughts on tonight's show which really saw the standard go up a notch by most couples:-

Alexandra's Cha Cha was danced very well but I spotted one time she wobbled on a turn (perhaps two) so I 'd say it was overmarked by the judges. 8

Mollie's Foxtrot was a good attempt only blemished by one stumble. However, apart from that it was a lovely routine. 7

Joe's Charleston was a routine I loved. Great characterization with lovely moves and it was another exceleent dance from him and seems he is finding consistency. Perhaps his best dance yet. 9

Gemma's Salsa just never really got going for me. Pensive from the first lift and thereafter she seemed off the pace. Not her best dance. 7

Aston's Viennese Waltz had faffing at the start and was a decent enough dance though he looked less comfortable this week. Never thought I'd say this about a ringer's dance but undermarked for me. 7

Ruth's Paso Doble had faffing at the start but she handled her Paso stuff very well and looked very good at times. A calamity at the end though that could eliminate them from the show. 6.5

Debbie's Tango showed good attack and she danced it excellentlt but please no - why that standing leg AGAIN...and TWICE!!! Not too sure it was worth maximum points. 9

Jonnie's Salsa was good in parts and less so in others. He carried off the lifts very well but for me he lacked good posture and style at times tonight. Not his best. 6.5

Susan's Jive again had faffing at the start. A fun routine once underway which she danced well in a dance that suited her style. A big improvement on last week. 7

Davood's American Smooth was a very good dance with nice choreography. I really enjoyed this. Perhaps his best dance yet. 8

For me Ruth is staring at the exit and perhaps Jonnie will join her in the dance off.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Actually I think we may have a "shock" DO maybe Gemma and Mollie affraid but yes CC could also be Jonnie. Of the smoke and mirrors brigade I think An.ton played a blinder with comedy which should see them through whilst Oti made Jonnie stand still while she did all the dancing and a couple of impressive lifts for good measure.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 pm

I shouldn't fall in the trap of judging people instead of the dance, but Alexandra has "gushed" herself right off my horizon. How very " all about me". A very decent dance and well performed, but I've see better get less marks. Was this really worth 39? Judges favouritism is making its presence known and it looks a bit pathetic. You are free to disagree. Wink

Mollie and A.J.s Foxtrot was worth a point more from C raig as there was little to fault. Elegant and pleasing if unspectacular.

Joe and Katya's Charlston was, for me, Dance of the Night. Terrific unity and timing and great choreography. Total fun and very well danced. Worthy of the four 9's. Not my favourite discipline, but hat off to them for this.

Gemma and Alijaz, Salsa. Alijaz made a slight error at the start, Gemma did little wrong. Worth four 7's. C raig didn't agree.

Aston and Janette. Was somebody taking the mick with that music for a Vienese Waltz? Set all the wrong rythmn and mood. I don't want him to win, but at least give him the chance on his music and dance.

Ruth and Housewives choice. Paso-Doble. Daft as a box of frogs but clever by Housewives choice not to go for drama and dance elegance. They may be approaching their zenith, but they probably gained a lot of audience appeal a la Team Cola, by their comedy. I hope they reach Blackpool...The music suited the comedy but was more Pass the Duchy than Paso Doble.

Debbi and Gio..Tango.40 marks and bowing and scraping? Four 9's for me. Good dance to be sure. Leaves nowhere to go but down.

Jonni and Oti. Salsa. All things considered, very good right through. Whether good enough to go on...?

Susan and Kevin..As above.

Davood and Nadia. Excellent American/Hollywood Smooth. Fred and Ginger style elegance and flair and silky smooth.. Really well done with great lifts and clever choreo.

Beyond half of them, anythin g can happen. I await other views with interest.

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:25 pm

I enjoyed it tonight - games were predictably raised in preparation for Blackpool, but some very strange scoring by the judges.

alexandra and Gorka  I noticed her legs and thought they were rather good.
Mollie and AJ  foxtrot-looked lovely and elegant until the wobble which seemed to throw her. Could be in danger
Joe and Katya Charleston- I really wanted to like this and I wasn't disappointed- really loved it and I thought he nailed the moves including the swivel
Gemma and Alijaz  salsa-hmm I thought it looked a bit messy,  those lifts were ambitious but didn't quite come off. Think she could also be in danger
Aston and Janette - VW- 4 Cr.aig?! affraid  more trying to mark the ringer down. But well done Janette for her gracious response to the marking in the Clauditorium
Ruth and An.ton paso- cheers Laughing Laughing Laughing  that was hilarious and pickle my walnuts if it doesn't get them to Blackpool
Debbie and Giovanni my notes say sh*te music great dance but it didn't scream 40 to me. scratch  I do wonder though if I would have felt differently had it been done to traditional music.
Jonnie and Oti salsa- not a great night for salsas, neither really came off. Oti tried to draw attention from her partner with lifts and dancing all round him, but I was unimpressed- possibly another one who may be drawn into the danger zone?
Susan and Kevin not a bad jive at all and will probable enough to see them through. That bum wiggle at the beginning reminded me off the decorating scene from the Royle Family Laughing
Davood and YASB AS- well there was his breakthrough right there, I did have to give credit where it was due that was very good

I think we may be in for a shock.......
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:40 pm

My thoughts (from a non dancers 'gut-feeling' point of view)

Alexandra - I loved it, but to me it was like a pro dance Cha-Cha. I find Gorka's footwork mesmerising, and most of the time when they're on I'm just watching him. I think he's a great dancer.

Mollie - Made a cup of tea and missed it. I haven't been inspired by AJ's routines over the past 3 weeks, so the kettle called and must be obeyed.

Joe - Loved it. Right up my toy box. She's a clever choreographer. Childlike quality, family friendly, but not an easy routine. He's got my votes.

Gemma - Disappointed. It seemed very stop/start to me. She seemed half a step behind or standing still. Her face shows all her concerns, her planning the next moves, her frustration when it goes awry. Maybe she's reached plateaued. She doesn't look like she's having fun so neither am I watching.

Aston - Too much of a mishmash to me. Was it pop, was it VW, was it a risk by Janette? I did feel a bit sorry for him. Yes, there was a lot of breaks which made it disjointed, but most of the other contestants have also broken the VW up because of nausea but didn't get such a panning. I guess the judges didn't like the routine..

Ruth - A time wasting start. Enjoyed the entertainment factor of a humour studded Paso. Fawlty Towers goes to Benidorm. Clever choreography by An ton. Should get to Blackpool I think.

Debbbaay - A good Tango to doubtful music. I liked the choreography. Not sure about 10x4, but she looked fierce and kept up with Gio pretty well. I wish the judges wouldn't be so obvious that she's championing the 'silver set' all the way to the final.

Jonnie - much as I love Jonnie, I think he's reached his peak. Oti was flying around him like a bluebottle, relying on lifts over dance substance.

Susan - Another slow start, but I love the way Kevin is playing to Susan's strengths. She looked like she was having a great time. I guess the idea was a take off of Mambo 5 that Ricky in the Royal family did whilst decorating

Davood - Hurray. He was actually dancing (when he wasn't lifting), and looked like he was enjoying himself. If he does go out this week, at least he's had some positive comments from the judges. I threw him a vote.

Methinks one of the usual high scorers will be in the dance off but let's face it, unless it's two high scorers, it will be obvious who the judges will want to save.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Apologies, I think I'm going to be out of sync with the comments.  I'm a bit of a grumpy-head tonight (insomnia) so will keep comments brief.  But generally I disagreed with virtually all the judges scores and comments, and felt the leaderboard is up the left.

Alexandra - her trademark seems to be to attack every dance with gusto, and sometimes she puts so much into it that it looks a bit messy. Thought this was a good cha cha, but not a 10

Mollie - gentle routine, real shame about the feet getting tangled. I gave her all my votes, as she's in such a precarious position

Joe - he's one of my favourites, and this was a very energetic full-on charleston so I don't quite know why I didn't love it. In retrospect, I think the soldier costumes were reminding me of characters from Play School, personally would've preferred a more grown-up look (sorry, I told you I was an old grump tonight!)

Gemma - hesitant and at times tense salsa, B.runo was right in saying she needs to keep the movement going throughout.

Aston - didn't like the costumes, and the wig was so distracting. Disjointed dance, ending in an ugly floorspin. Again though, in hindsight, I wonder would I have liked the routine a bit more if they'd been wearing classy costumes. And more importantly, like Tango says, if they'd had suitable VW music.  However the 4 from CRH was a disgrace. 

Ruth -  highlight of the night for me was Ruth clambering on top of the fallen A.nton...childish I know, but it was so unexpected we were laughing our heads off. She's the weakest dancer imo, so I hope she's in the DO. Though probably A.nton's comedy tactics will keep her in at the expense of someone else.

Debbie - not a perfect 10 from me, I felt she looked stiff around the shoulders.

Jonnie - he's one of my favourites, but I didn't enjoy this much. It looked like Oti dancing and Jonnie lifting, hardly saw him do any salsa.

Susan - costumes and their clompy footwear distracted me - I was a bit meh about this jive, felt it was a bit overmarked

Davood - enjoyable enough, very reliant on that final lift going right

Sorry to sound so bah humbug about the show! I was also trying to take notes for Diamond's thread about glam and glitz dresses, but there didn't seem to be any this week.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:04 pm

jingle wrote:
Sorry to sound so bah humbug about the show! I was also trying to take notes for Diamond's thread about glam and glitz dresses, but there didn't seem to be any this week.

Don't get involved in fashion stuff, but I thought M ollie's Carole Lombard look was quite classy in a "Great Gatsby" sort of way.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 pm

OMG! I have wall to wall wifi now... and was able to see the show on the same night as everyone else ....!!Shocked Shocked

Before I launch into my impressions of the show, I shall add my agreeement to the fact that the show is slightly stuck in known ratings winners, rather than evolving still and trying out new themes and dances. I get that originally they were focused on the 10 classic competition dances, but both the AT and the Chal-ess-ton are always entertaining (in the right way...) and I would love to see Swing or Jitterbug replace or alternate with the jive, a mamba instead of a Samba. Flamenco alternating with Paso etc etc. A few years ago they had a week towards the end (when everyone was a bit more experienced) where they had a fusion of dances eg Tango/paso or Foxtrot/QS - I liked that and would welcome it's return.

I thnk it is easy to imagine that die hards like us want it all samey samey - we just want proper, pure content without tricks and smoke and mirrors. But we DO want to ring the changes and keep it fresh....

The literary theme is definitely a good one (as long as they steer clear of Dickensian urchins or Miss Haversham....) and I think if we put our collective heads together we could come up with a few more so that those (non-existents, obviously) spies at the Beeb can pinch them and run with them for next year and beyond.... I know I threw in lots of princessy, fairy tale ones, but there are bound to be some good more-grownup ones out there with more scope and which are more likely to make the cut. We can do it....!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:44 pm

A fair amount of 10s again tonight. After Blackpool, I think as the competition hots up, the 10s need to be harder to get.

Alexandra and Gorka (Cha Cha Cha)
She really is very good! She has no fear. She has that real performers “look-at-me” arrogance and it makes such a difference to her performance. What did I think of all B runo’s comparisons being with other black women? Mmmm….  Marks? She deserved her 10s.

Mollie and AJ (Foxtrot)
She really is a ballroom queen. Her Foxtrot was so beautiful (and the dress was too). No messing about, I don’t know what all the balance issues were that C raig was going on about. I’ll accept that there was one little slip - . I saw that. 7s were low I thought. A six from C raig? B****cks! 8 from me.

Joe and Katya (Charleston)
Katya does love her props! I have mixed feelings about it. They danced it very well but I don’t know if it was an exciting Charleston. Certainly it wasn’t as exciting as the Charleston Chris and O-la did all those years ago for example. I didn’t like the costumes. I thought they were relying on them to make it fun rather than the dance itself. A bit staid I thought. I’ll give them an 8 for the dancing but I resent it for the lack of imagination.

Gemma and Aljaz (Salsa)
No  -  I’m so sad to say it because she’s one of my favourites, but she doesn’t have it in her to keep up with the others. She’s a big girl and I think she finds it hard to get to grips with lifts etc. She doesn’t really have the confidence needed either. If she suddenly finds that then it could be all change. She’s getting better there’s no doubt, but there are too many better dancers in there with her. She just needs to get into the DO with one of them and she’s gone.

Aston and Janette (Viennese Waltz)
Yes, good and in time I suppose, but not really a great Viennese Waltz. Rise and fall all over the place. Hated the costumes. (Michael Jackson the greatest entertainer of all time? Really? I don’t think so.) 7.

Ruth and A nton (Paso Doble)
A lot of fun, a lot, a lot, a lot! C raig – oh well, but it was a terrific routine I thought. Not technically brilliant I suppose but so entertaining, The end? Wonderful just wonderful. A great sense of improvisation as they both collapsed! Good for her.   The 6s were fair I suppose. I might be inclined to give 7. Nice to see Haley in the spotlight as well as part of the dance.

Debbie and Giovanni (Tango)
I’m willing to believe it was classically correct and brilliant, but somehow it passed me by. I didn’t get very enthused about it. Weird huh? Especially as she’s one of my favourites. I don’t know how I’d mark it, but if C raig gets off his backside to bow before her and then gives it a 10, I don’t suppose it’s up to me to disagree.

Jonnie and Oti (Salsa)
He presented Oti well and the lifts were great, (although I suspect Oti could do some of the lifts herself with almost no input from her partner). He’s a bit like Gemma at the moment. He’s still getting a little better but it’s diminishing returns. He doesn’t have much further to go. 7

Susan and Kevin  (Jive)
She does have loads of energy. It was a fun routine again and it was better than last week. Lots of good timing and right in sync with Kevin. He’s providing ideal choreography for her. She did well. 7. Liked these costumes.

Davood and Nadiya (American Smooth)
Is that his best dance? I suspect so. Hollywood on legs as B runo said. Very elegant and confident and terrific lifts especially the fantastic one at the end. 9 at least. And the second gorgeous dress of the night for YASB.

It was a good evening. I enjoyed the dancing a lot but I have absolutely no idea who is going to be in the DO or who will go. I don’t know how the public are voting. I’d have said that Ruth is likely to go next, but after tonight’s performance she’s likely to get a high public vote. Aston’s low on the leaderboard. How popular is he? If he’s in the DO and reprises his dance against some of the others (other than Ruth that is) he’s not going to be very secure. I can’t wait to find out.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:I shouldn't fall in the trap of judging people instead of the dance, but Alexandra has "gushed" herself right off my horizon. How very " all about me". A very decent dance and well performed, but I've see better get less marks. Was this really worth 39? Judges favouritism is making its presence known and it looks a bit pathetic. You are free to disagree. ;
I don't! Disagree that is, about any of it!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:52 pm

A more satisfying show than last week, for sure, but I still had a few grumbles obvs!

Alex - THAT'S how you Cha Cha. She's such a hot dancer. But my god, even I found her reactions afterwards overly dramatic - and I seem to have a higher tolerance threshold for Alex than most lol

Mollie - It's so rare these days to get to a enjoy a classic Foxtrot like that on Strictly so I can forgive the stutter because it was still utterly sumptuous and gorgeous.

Joe - I had a feeling he'd thrive at this because there's a certain freedom to the Charleston and it's all character-driven which are Joe's strengths. For me though, it was overly-themed and too fancy-dress. I felt like I was watching two people dancing for kids.

Gemma and Jonnie both illustrating why I hate Strictly Salsas so much. There performances were literally lift after lift after lift thereby robbing the dances of any opportunity for fluidity or flow to develop. And neither were executed very well either. Gemma, in particular, seems to have become a more tense, error-proned dancer ever since people started talking up her chances. It's as if she feels the expectation placed on her now.

Aston - JANETTE. CANNOT. CHOREOGRAPH. BALLROOM.

Ruth - Never thought they'd be able to top their Samba but omg this was piss-your-pants hilarious. Gave them a vote!

Debbie - I couldn't stop WTF-ing at the music to properly focus on Debbie's Tango-ing. But on rewatch I made myself ignore the track and concentrate exclusively on her and I thought she was good but not GREAT. I spotted some balance issues, some clinging-on in places and Gio having to pull her into place. But then we saw the whole charade of C.raig getting off his chair and bowing at Debbie's feet and I dunno it all seemed very staged to me. OTT scripted nonsense. Not 40-worthy let alone worth C.raig getting on his knees.

Susan - I was mildly turned off by her last week but she's back in my good books again. It's weird - the more physically demanding the dance, the more I expect Susan to struggle but she always manages to confound my expectations. Nothing could prepare me for Kevin in dungarees though Shocked

Davood - Of course Davood and Nadiya finally nailed it with a dance where they could do what they liked! No I'm kidding (kinda), credit where credit's due, and this - much like Mollie's - was a lovely classy number that we don't see enough of. Be interesting if they regress to their old ways again next time but I hope not because I've not been fully Agin them as such (just been underwhelmed up til now).

On a final note, the band were not on form tonight. The guy singing Turn Me On was in urgent need of some Strepsils.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:58 pm

Ooh it's so much more interesting writing your own summary before reading everyone else's but I'm nodding vigorously at bits of all of yours. Seems we're unanimously perplexed by Debbie's 40!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:59 pm

In a dance-off. I think if it was Gemma vs Aston, then Aston would surely stay.
If it were Gemma vs Mollie, I think Mollie might just swing it.
Jonnie vs Gemma or Jonnie vs Mollie, I couldn't call either of those.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:05 pm

And now, lets go on with the show..... (Musicals - theres a theme, right there!)

Wel, well, well.  The seven paddle got a VERY good outing tonight.... At least C.raig made an attempt to differentiate between the not-quite-on-it couples.  I did think he was way too harsh on Aston. I may not like him much, and I found myself drifting off whilst he was dancing and not really watching or paying attention (a sign of not a terribly good routine) but even though it was a very un-viennese waltz and had it's faults, in now way was he on a par with Ruth....

I know nothing about the real nitty gritty of technique in a tango, but when I watched Debbie's tango it just seemed effortless, smooth and so easy and lovely to watch.  No tricks, no mirrors.  Just beautiful, classic choreography from Gio (who is showing another side of himself with Debbie) and beautiful execution from Debbie.  It was lovely to watch and lovely to see both their reactions, though as C.raig was doing his kneeling and bowing, I could hear someone screaming - it wasn;t Debbie, she was shellshocked and it didn;t seem to be Tess.  So who on earth was it?

I also enjoyed Alex's cha cha cha. And I liked the longer line dress - it still showed all the leg, but just had better movement.  I thought her rection is unlikely to win her many friends - she is SO intense..... Also, I thought she got her feet in a bit of a muddle on a turny thing and slightly lost balance....?

Jo and Katya were also quite rightly feted. The Charl-ess-ton is always a good one to watch, even when performed by a less able s.leb, but even I could see there was lot of content in it and Joe was pretty slick.  Not as sharp as Debbie last week, but a lovely routine to a great jazz classic :-)

A.nton beginning to return to the comedy route which I am sad about for Ruth. It was nice to see another side of her and she has some good comic timing, but I'd rather see her do a simple routine not for laughs or 'entertainment'.  It seemed everyone was only really wowed by the collapsing last hold  ending in Ruth lying on top A.nton.  Not the routine itself.

Molly looked adorable and gorgeous (loved the skirt of her frock) and I am wanting her to do so much better - I feel it is in there but just needs winkling out.

Don't think Salsa suited eihter Gemma or Jonnie for different reasons.  The Salsa seems to be a dance which always looks like a completely different dance each time it is performed, depending on who choreographs it.  A Cha cha cha and a Samba at least always share the same elements, no matter who has got their hands on the choregraphy. I used to go to Salsa clubs and most people seemed to be dancing pretty much similarly - so why is a Janette Salso so different from an Oti Salsa, which is different again from an Aljaz Salsa?  Weird.

YASB does traditional choreography shocker!  Nice dress too.  Davood still a bit wooden for my liking and his hands were doing funny things at one point.  The bum lift/pressage/call it what you will didn't impress me though - that is about strength rather than dance-ability and she just sat on his shoulders for AGES smiling and holding her hands out like Debbie Magee used to do when Paul Daniels had just done some magic....

Susan was loads better and Kevin has come back fighting with his basic and pure choreography.  But I still don;t like the Jive - I've been Agin it since Jill Ha'penny - couldn't see what the fuss was about.  Simon Webb and Ore last year almost turned me... but not quite

Some weird scoring (too many sevens), but some better choreography and music choices, and some nicer dresses :-)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:19 pm

Just read through everyone's comments...

Again i am out of sync with you all!  I'm not necessarily saying that Debbie should have got 40 (I can;'t do He is. And we obey him., so I don;pt ever award my own scores but I can do He is. And we obey him. enough to notice any out-of sync scoring like C.raig's 4 for Aston....) but I enjoyed it so much all the time i was watching.  I didn't see any wobbles or clinging - but perhaps I was swept away?  I agree the music was pants but they seemed to be just getting on a dancing a very good tango to a nice tune in their heads (much the best idea in these situations....)

I AM agreed about Mollie.  Like I said, I think she has it in her to pull off a fantastic ballroom.  I LOVE the Foxtrot - it;s my favourite ballroom dance - and I thought the whole dance and Mollie's look was just a little piece of loveliness.  More like this please!

Will comment mor eon frocks and stuff on the Glamour and Glitz thread...

EDIT:
PS.... I agree with Sid wholeheartedly on two things:

!. It is more interesting to write impressions before reading anyone else's

2. JANETTE. CANNOT. CHOREOGRAPH. BALLROOM.... lol!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 33 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23 ... 33  Next