Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly Books

+33
Poppetlovestango
jingle
saxonsiren
Lucielle
LOST-TANGO
lualen
2toTango
bluecat
salsarae
Kytiara
Toby Jugg
Admin
ewoodie
Alder
David Tee
ladycat
sparklysheila
133-230-44039-18180-800
Pat Shed
MrsArcanum
TompsHB
Mila
fkaIgor *LT*
Mslightfoot
TANGOLERO
allsewnonbyhand
Sid
Lilypad
fiftynotout
Frankie Spence
bomum
Sofajudge
Pink Pinot Girl
37 posters

Page 31 of 43 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37 ... 43  Next

Go down

Strictly Books - Page 31 Empty Re: Strictly Books

Post  Lucielle Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:22 pm

salsarae wrote:Lucielle - sure I'll be able to join up soonish officially, think if not before I'll be asking for books for my birthday! Having to re-read at the moment mostly, need some fresh material!
Have you access to a library ? Another option is Amazon - secondhand books are extremely cheap. Very Happy
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  salsarae Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Afraid not! Best I've found is an English shop that has a small second hand book section. It's ok, sure I can lay my hands on them soon.
salsarae
salsarae

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Hiya Salsare I would be happy to send you my copy of Before I Go To Sleep!! I have Hunger Games 3 too.One of my favourite reads was The Report it did evoke a few different reactions to the book!!
Lucielle read Merele's Door? a totally heart wrenching book & i do have the book on order & now cat found shall read it!!

Can recomend C J Sansoms series of books first is called Dissolutions,start Henry V111 reign & Cromwell pulling down the monastries.Fantastic characters Shardlake a solicitor,his assisant & murders to unravel secretly!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:21 am

I have just finished Incendiary, Chris Cleave's first book. Very good, written in a deceptively chatty style- reminded me of the chirpy style in The Other Hand where horrific things are juxtaposed with everyday chat. It's a very clever device. Recommended.

I think I may have to dip into this Shardlake character, you all seem hooked!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:27 am

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
I didn't realise you hadn't read the Shardlake books allsewn - you're in for a real treat, they're fantastic (don't be put off by the length of them, the pages literally fly past once you start reading).

Enjoy!
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 am

You get hooked Alls fantastic books!! I would send first for you if wish!! Have the complete set!!
Murder in Madrid brilliant totally different but mesmerising!! Once I stopped expecting Shardlake to appear I settled into the Spanish Conflict

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  salsarae Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:10 am

Sax that would be great! Will PM you my address.
salsarae
salsarae

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Ok will chceck postage also Sals I just checked Amazon Uk do new books super saver free delivery to spain.Secind hand charge £2:80 for uk delivery.I did a sample 2 books new in basket & free delivery to Spain despite order only £7;98!!!!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  salsarae Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:46 pm

Ooo that's new, I've been using the book depository, but lately they haven't been cheaper than amazon.
Need a couple of good weeks work wise now!
salsarae
salsarae

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:46 pm

jingle wrote:
allsewnonbyhand wrote:
I didn't realise you hadn't read the Shardlake books allsewn - you're in for a real treat, they're fantastic (don't be put off by the length of them, the pages literally fly past once you start reading).

Enjoy!

OK so where do I start ? I'm about to order Duchess so may as well let Shardlake plop into the basket (thanks for offer Sax, I feel this might be one to keep from what you've said!)
Just point me in the right direction I'm a total Shardlake ignoramus.....
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:43 pm

Dissolutions is the first novel then second is Dark Fire (absolutely fantastic) then Sovereign then Revelations (A really cannot put it down book) last is Heartstone!!!!
Offer still stands if need any of the latter books

Dissolutions
Dark Fire
Sovereign
Revelation
Heartstone
Luckily in January i managed buy last four for £10 in book sale!!!

Apparenly Jenny Eclairs Death & Vanilla Slices supposed be a good read!! Story of a difficult mother/Daughter relationship!!

Sax

Last edited by saxonsiren on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : order of books)
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Dissolutions and My Last Duchess ordered! Got both second hand for £5.49 and free delivery.
I like Jenny Eclair, that sounds an interesting read.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Very Happy. You won't be disappointed!! great bargains all the ones I look for second hand say £2:40+ delivery charge!! I love amazon free delivery currently even on a fiver!! OH suggesting i start a second hand library shop!! May sneak into amazon & accidently check Jenny's bok out.

Sax

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:36 pm

saxonsiren wrote: Very Happy. You won't be disappointed!! great bargains all the ones I look for second hand say £2:40+ delivery charge!! I love amazon free delivery currently even on a fiver!! OH suggesting i start a second hand library shop!! May sneak into amazon & accidently check Jenny's bok out.
Sax
Wouldn't that be fab! My idea of heaven for a job.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Mine too our Library used to hold a swop book club but stopped it!! I am sure in this current envoirament a swop shop book club be great for local libraries & may encourage book clubs to fourish even online similar to ours!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:57 pm

I assume it's your review you've posted on Life on Air, Jingle. Wow, how on earth did you manage to read it so quickly? Shocked At the end of my second week and am just past quarter way through. It's a big book! I only read at night and with so much going on atm am quite tired, so not a lot of reading goes on. Sleep Must try harder! study
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Lucielle wrote:I only read at night and with so much going on atm am quite tired, so not a lot of reading goes on. Sleep Must try harder! study
Now that I'm back at work I'm in the same boat Lucielle, I managed about two pages if I'm lucky before I nod off with book in hand (or on nose!) I'm waiting for duchess to arrive so I'm between books as it were. To fill the gap I decided to begin Hunger Games 2- somehow I don't think I'm going to get far before I have to tackle the September read!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Hunger Games 2 is real twist & you cannot wait to read HG3!! I have The Duchess & at last Me Before You to read. I admit to reading 15 pages (pure drivel) 50 sog No I then skimmed the last chapter to appease friend utter literary diaorrhea!! Its out the house now!! Yuk I feel tainted.
May go to library re Jenny Eclairs book.

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Alls
My Last Duchess is the October book!! Very Happy plenty of time

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Is it? Dur!! Was Life on Air Septemebr then? scratch
Well that's good, I've got time to read HG2 properly now! Wink
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:11 pm

I had to check myself Lucielle kept count I know we had a month break in June? I asked & Lucielle advised Life On Air September book Very Happy we just I think cracked on early!!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:10 pm

saxonsiren wrote:I asked & Lucielle advised Life On Air September book Very Happy we just I think cracked on early!!!
I'm pretty certain Life on Air is September book. Duchess will be October, as Sax says. I've got to get a move on with LoA else I'll start lagging behind, esp now that SCD is starting. Very Happy
Allsewnbyhand wrote:Now that I'm back at work I'm in the same boat Lucielle, I managed about two pages if I'm lucky before I nod off with book in hand (or on nose!)
I've got this image now of book opened, lying on face, heaving up and down in time with heavy breathing. Razz Talking of which...
Saxonsiren wrote:I admit to reading 15 pages (pure drivel) 50 sog No I then skimmed the last chapter to appease friend utter literary diaorrhea!! Its out the house now!!
Banished forever and may it never set foot in the house again! Razz

Actually I'm relenting a bit as everyone I know, and even those I don't, keep banging ( Embarassed ) on about it. I feel I'm missing out "on the action". Razz I'm doing a lot of laughing lately, think I must be getting hysterical with all the excitement of SCD. Not touched a drop - honest! Laughing
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucielle Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:50 am

Just heard that Hilary Mantel's book "Bring up the Bodies" is on the shortlist for the Man Booker Prize this year. This book is the follow up to her "Wolf's Hall" which won the prize in 2009, and which, according to the critics, is even better. The story is about Thomas Cromwell's role in the Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn dilemma - an historical novel - so one for you possibly Sax, or maybe a book group choice for someone? Take a look here at some reviews.
Lucielle
Lucielle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 am

Lucielle save yourself & your litarary mind!! stay away from the book come into the light away from the Shades!!
Bring up the bodies souds my cup of tea!! ooh does that make me seem blood thirsty oops fantastic story for me!! I read Phillipa Gregory's The White Queen which touched upon this subject.I would happily read this book.
You have planted a study reading bat in my mind now!!

Sax
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  salsarae Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:57 pm

I've read Phillipa Gregory's White Queen, Red Queen and the Other Boleyn Girl, the Red Queen was my least favourite, Margaret is written in a way that makes her very difficult to like.
If you like historical fiction I think you'd really like Kate Mosse's Labyrinth, I've read it twice now I enjoyed it so much, it's set in medieval and modern France and weaves a really great tale.
salsarae
salsarae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 43 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37 ... 43  Next