Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of Honesty.

+22
cellar-door
Professor Hans Rosling
diamondsandpearls
Millicent Threeble
David Tee
gingercodgers
hatlady28
lualen
allsewnonbyhand
Sid
1superken
Littlebear
Moova 12
fiftynotout
Wallflower
saxonsiren
Tina Sparkle
TANGOLERO
B4p
mauveangel09
jingle
CaledonianCraig
26 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. Empty A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:39 pm

Well if it means we have to put up with Dave's 'dancing' over Rachel (better dancer), Deborah (better dancer), Julien (better dancer) and Vanessa (better dancer) then that is watering down the dance ability on show. Damage is done by Dave hanging around - maybe not seen as much damage in some people's eyes but damage all the same.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. Empty Re: A Little Bit of Honesty.

Post  jingle Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:44 pm

The way I way the Dave situation is that he's really only robbing someone of an extra week in the show. If he'd gone at the start, then I reckon we'd probably see roughly the same sequence of exits a week later, eg. Rachel would probably be leaving this weekend, whether she danced well or not. Not sure if that makes sense, but it satisfies me!
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Honesty. Empty Re: A little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 pm

I think that there have been celebs knocked out of the contest (possibly) before their time since series 1 and the Chris Parker controversy - it is the nature of the beast but I don't think it is necessarily true that the contestants who have gone out so far would only have had another week or so if Dave had exited in their place - a week is a long time in SCD - long enough to turn things round, get voters back on side, have a breakthrough etc.

I'm a bit surprised in a way that Dave has lasted so long for the reason that I thought GBP might be finding the 'comedic' format a bit passe by now - after all - it has all been done before and better! JS was totally unexpected and wasn't a comedy character by design - in fact his first dance was a rather sedate waltz. W iddy was a carictured female version. Nancy was a genuine character with a capital 'C' and Russell Grant was entertaining and quite good at the dancing too. In Dave I just see a rather cuddly chef (whose programmes I like) not doing it very well.

Apart from Nathalie and Susanna I don't think the overall standard is as high this year and Btw I wonder whether the whole O la/Karen saga has been manufactured to give this series some sort of 'story' to make it more exciting.

Another thought I had..............At the beginning of the series we were all saying that the girls looked stronger than the boys and yet it is predominantly the girls who have been getting knocked out????

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:Apart from Nathalie and Susanna I don't think the overall standard is as high this year and Btw I wonder whether the whole O la/Karen saga has been manufactured to give this series some sort of 'story' to make it more exciting.

Another thought I had..............At the beginning of the series we were all saying that the girls looked stronger than the boys and yet it is predominantly the girls who have been getting knocked out????
Wow - that's a dada-dada-dadadaaaa Eastender type drum roll cliff hanger
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:02 am

LOL:D 

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:18 am

jingle wrote:The way I way the Dave situation is that he's really only robbing someone of an extra week in the show. If he'd gone at the start, then I reckon we'd probably see roughly the same sequence of exits a week later, eg. Rachel would probably be leaving this weekend, whether she danced well or not. Not sure if that makes sense, but it satisfies me!
If Dave got in the dance off Jingle, he'd be a goner with the judges. Problem is he's being kept away from it by the viewers. In effect, he's the interval entertainment factor that is being treated seriously by people who don't see the show as a contest and vote for either favouritism of spite. I agree with your views but last week's dance off was a total farce where by if Abbey had made an error the judges would have had no choice but to send her home. When it comes to dance Rachel was no Cyd Charrisse, but a class apart from Dave.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:43 am

And look at last week - we could have lost Patrick. If we had we would have missed him delivering a great Quickstep. And who knows? He may yet prove to be a finalist. Meanwhile, Dave moves around like a sloth and doesn't even figure in dance-offs.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:44 am

Yes, I agree Tango - though my view is that if Abbey/Patrick/whoever aren't popular then they're destined for the dance off at some stage - Dave's presence just means that they're there sooner rather than later.

If Abbey had messed up the dance off then I guess it'd be fair for Rachel to stay in. Tbh, I've often wondered what would happen if a stronger dancer does make a huge mistake in a dance off (has it happened before, I can't remember?). I wonder would the judges really send home the stronger one, or would they start to backtrack about the role of the dance off.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:57 am

I'm trying to remember, because I think that it has happened. I'm sure I can recall Silver tongued Italian Stallion saying "Well, X didn't dance so well tonight, but I'm saving them because they've got more potential." Trouble is I can't for the life of me remember who or when it was. It was some time ago I think. Would it be the time Ally Bastien ended up doing the dance-off in bare feet because she'd hurt her ankle or something?
Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 am

I do feel it would help things greatly, as someone suggested earlier that the person bottom of the judge's scorecards gets one point only regardless of ties above them in the scoreboard. I see no point whatsoever giving the poorest dancer (in the judge's eyes) points they shouldn't have. Also some clarity is needed on how they come to their conclusions on the public vote?

I mean do they just award points from the public vote as they do for the judge's scoreboard. If so I find it impossible to believe that Dave is yet to be in the dance-off.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:52 am

For me every year we have a comedy act &/or a celeb that has a huge fan base & they knock out other better celebs.Last year Lisa Riley stayed in far too long,overmarked & fawned over by the judges.She had a huge fanbase too.Lisa went onto performing her own show with C.raig yet what else has Lisa done since? I didn't vote for her & yes I did get frustrated when better dancers went. The GBP thou did not vote her all the way to the final so sense did prevail. I enjoyed Dave's first two dances as part of light entertainment & fun now a few weeks later Im bored by the whole situation but resigned to he will eventually go.
My question is are we more ready this year to complain more about the comedy acts? Are we all maybe bored by SCD this year? Possibly this year the celebs are not quite as entertaining? Just strange this year we are all fuming!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallflower Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:02 pm

saxonsiren wrote:For me every year we have a comedy act &/or a celeb that has a huge fan base & they knock out other better celebs.Last year Lisa Riley stayed in far too long,overmarked & fawned over by the judges.She had a huge fanbase too.Lisa went onto performing her own show with C.raig yet what else has Lisa done since? I didn't vote for her & yes I did get frustrated when better dancers went. The GBP thou did not vote her all the way to the final so sense did prevail. I enjoyed Dave's first two dances as part of light entertainment & fun now a few weeks later Im bored by the whole situation but resigned to he will eventually go.
My question is are we more ready this year to complain more about the comedy acts? Are we all maybe bored by SCD this year? Possibly this year the celebs are not quite as entertaining? Just strange this year we are all fuming!
You've hit the nail on the head for me Sax.  I still haven't properly engaged with the series - I'm not sure why.  I think in my case it's a combination of too many contestants, too many new pros and less entertaining celebs. Plus the mish mash of dances so that I can't identify progress as easily.  I haven't voted at all yet because other than wanting Dave to go (because I find him quite dull now) I have no strong feelings about any of the others tbh Sad
Wallflower
Wallflower

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:51 pm

I know exactly what you mean Wallflower, I feel the same. I remember the times of feeling OUTRAGED! by the likes of Sergeant and Widdiecombe, DEVASTATED! when Jimi Mistry left, DELIGHTED when Gavin H did a good routine. This series I don't feel like I've got an emotional investment, I sort of feel detached about the characters.

But on the other hand, still really enjoy watching /criticising / enjoying and hearing everyones views:D 

jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Im blase about SCD this year I haven't really enjoyed it as much & dare I say it even ITT Im meh about! Usually by now my early favourite has hit a wall my darkhorse really shining & Ive started to love a previous overlooked. Ive almost forgotten Ashley ( his dances under my radar) & apart from knowing Ben is a rugby player I adore I cannot recall many of his dances! Dave/Mark I can recall thou
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Sorry but have to disagree with you about Lisa Riley. As far as 'large' pcelebs go she was by far the best mover and performer I have seen on Strictly. She moved so well and characterised the dances well hence why she got so far in the series - in my opinion that is.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:36 am

CC Lisa yes very light on her feet true however she was overmarked & never really had negative feedback.Was this due to SCD being politically incorrect if any negativity given? Mark is light on his feet and has been criticisedby the judges yet Lisa wasn't imo different rules being applied
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:24 am

saxonsiren wrote:CC Lisa yes very light on her feet true however she was overmarked & never really had negative feedback.Was this due to SCD being politically incorrect if any negativity given?  Mark is light on his feet and has been criticisedby the judges yet Lisa wasn't imo different rules being applied
No I think that had nothing to do with it (being politically correct) as we have seen Widdy described as 'a sack of spuds' by the judges for her size and likewise jibes at Russel Grant and John Sargeant - the difference being that Lisa could dance. She certainly merited her run in the series and in my honest opinion, though I love Mark's interpretation and application, he isn't of the same standard as Lisa.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:42 am

The beauty of the forum we can debate & agree to disagree Smile Do you think the more mature celebs have a medical before SCD?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:54 am

I would say they don't. I think Mark interprets beautifully but his bulk is a major hindrance especially if costume department force him into restrictive silver spacesuits. Love the way he embraces each dance. I suppose I am like L.en I love a tryer.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:20 am

I know they do for BB & In the Jungle. Wonder if they set a medical would it drastically change the type of celebs we get. I do love a tryer too reason I like Mark & totally meh about Dave now! Wondering this week who will have amare of a dance!?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:47 am

I like Mark, too Sax, but I'm very bored by Dave now. Mark has some dance ability, is very light on his feet and is genuinely learning and improving (I'm prepared to forgive him last week as long as it doesn't happen again!). I agree that he's more like Lisa Riley in that respect. Dave was funny enough for a couple of weeks, but now he's just boring.

On the whole, the comedy candidates don't make it too far into the business end of the competition. I suppose John Sargeant might have been the exception to that, but he stood down so we'll never know. For me, so far, Ann Widdecombe has been far and away the worst. Dave doesn't even begin to compare to the depths of awfulness and cringe-worthiness that she and A nton plumbed together.
Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Well, it is what it is. It doesn't pretend to be any different. The s.lebs all know the score when they sign up and we all know the rules when we start watching. No point wishing it was different because it isn't.

Dave hasn't done anything wrong and nor did Abbey; they are purely figures on a chess board being moved around by us, yes all of us. (A non-vote counts as much as a vote for the wrong person.)

I recall one year, early on when I believe Carol Vorderman was involved, and one of the s.lebs broke ranks and bleated to the press about elitism and cliques within the show. It hasn't happened since and so we have no idea what the s.lebs are thinking. Maybe Abbey will benefit by this set-back, maybe she'll realise how much she wants to be in the final and it will make her try a bit harder. Maybe Dave is on a mission to stand up for the common man, the man who has never had a dance lesson.

I had noticed that some of the s.lebs are quite complacent, ie talking about "never having to do that dance again" or "next week we're doing the so and so dance", assuming they would not be in the dance off. I don't expect they'll be quite so sure this week.

I still don't have a favourite. Quite a few of them have done dances I liked or even loved - Patrick's quickstep, Mark's cha cha cha (MC Hammer), Sophie's charleston, Ben's salsa - but nobody stands out for me yet. It's Saturday night telly, that's all it is, it passes the time in a pleasant and enjoyable way but it isn't life or death, not to us and certainly not to them.
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Well put Fifty! It is Saturday entertainment for us to watch to make comments or for us to switch off! Ive done with XF haven't watched it last four years.The s.lebs get a well paid job lasting between 3-12 weeks & then get another job on the live tour & lots of tv/radio appearences! Least this year its a sliding scale the longer you stay in the more you get paid.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Interesting comments everyone - I've been reflecting on my thoughts - for the first time last year I did not have a favourite until the very latter stages (it turned out to be Vincent and Dani). It was a new concept for me as I had always had favourites from earlier on in the previous series - but it was nice to be free of the emotional highs and lows and I quite enjoyed it. This year I've tried not to have an early favourite for the same reasons (although there are some candidates) - I like to think that they 'find' me later on...............we shall see!!

I do think that the last two series packed a real punch in terms of high standards and the one before that had the 'Pamela' factor which was something unique and it also had a clutch of newer male dancers who made an immediate impact. I suppose there was bound to be an anti-climax sooner or later - For me personally this series is more like some of the years that came before when the overall standard was not as high - also Mark is possibly the most unique thing about this series (big man that actually has some potential/dance ability) all the other permutations - comedy characters, mature women have now been done before. Perhaps we are all finding it a little bit samey now? although we all still really enjoy the dance and commenting on the music choices, routines and costumes. I think I am getting less and less bothered about who actually wins each year just about who gets into the final.

Re: Lisa Riley -I agree with CC that she could move and could interpret some of the dances well but I also agree with Sax that as the series progressed she didn't really progress and did several lacklustre performances that were overmarked with faults blatantly not picked up - it was as though the judges had been told not to criticise as they seemed to pussyfoot around her which I got totally fed up with. I remember only one occasion where she did get some criticism and didn't take it well - I went off her after that! Just my own view..............

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:20 pm

There are only two reasons to expect a successful show each year from Strictly: something newer or something better. There are a few innovations that can be called new, I suppose in the themes, but in the better aspect ( as in quality and skill level) it isn't really happening this year so far. There hadn't been an excitement level like Colin Jackson, Austin Healey or Tom Chambers etc amongst the men, and Natalie apart, the women are not really at past levels like Aleshia, Zoe Ball, or any number of the ladies from the past. I'm really hoping Patrick may break through, or Ashley will do something scintillating in his dance. There's time to go, I accept, but we need a bit of excitement in the show....and we need it now! ......if you don't mind folks...Wink 
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next