Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Dance This Week?

+13
Poppetlovestango
TANGOLERO
Sid
lualen
allsewnonbyhand
fiftynotout
diamondsandpearls
Wallflower
hatlady28
cellar-door
saxonsiren
mauveangel09
B4p
17 posters

Page 8 of 26 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 26  Next

Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: Which Dance This Week?

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:57 am

diamondsandpearls wrote:  But I thought that particular couple really showed what the film Strictly Ballroom was sending up - the total life sucked out of dance by rules, regulation and prizes.

How very true. A drum I've been banging for years. I want the unexpected stuff that gets you out of your seats and punching the air (not, I add hastily, a penguin clap-along to everything) These shows ( much as I admired and miss Come Dancing) aren't demonstrations of precision marching to music. One moment of joyful inspiration from the feet is worth forty-seven correct neck angles, and if your ass wants to join in the fun, damn-well let it. I'm very aware this is sacreligious heracy, but Tom Chambers got more bums off seats in ten seconds than MacDonald Hobley and Eamon Andrews combined did in years. The pros need to bring out some personality in their charges too, it isn't a gymkhana or a parrot farm. I'm not advocating an "Uncle xxxxhead in his cream loafers imitating Andy Pandy at a wedding, but at least he's in the spirit of things.

It isn't rebellion, just a need to remember what dance is all about. If you want that "soulless" ( a very apt description) precision, take up synchronised swimming.Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:14 pm

Omg I loved Tom Chambers he glided across the floor with charm and ease. I want to be charned and led into a world of music and dance.
Too many props and tricks and gotta love me Im a trier celebs mantra.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: Which Dance this week?

Post  mauveangel09 Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 pm

What an interesting debate!
DiamondsandPearls - please don't apologise for putting your views across - everybody thinks differently and it is great to learn about the way other people see things and to hear the views of everyone, which are all valid - they are all only our own opinions.

The trouble is that once something becomes part of a competition - there has to be something to be measured against and a certain standard to judge people against (like exams ) so by definition, a lot of the spontaneous stuff goes. I also think that partner dancing often brings with it more 'set dances' and 'set sequences' - when you dance as an individual - in tap, jazz etc although you have learned recognised steps ,every dance routine is completely different and unique - I suppose that's where freestyle and showdances come in - the same as an ice dance where they have a freestyle routine after the set routines in competitions.

You've given some really good examples of where club/street dances differ wildly from what is seen in ballroom and latin american dancing - the other dance I would mention is the Jive - look how many different versions and variations of jive type dances that there actually are, but competition dance has chosen one version from which to set their standard.

I know that some of the ballroom dances originated in America - I watched a good programme that I think L en did a while back now about the history of the dances - I didn't realize before then that the modern competition rhumba seen today was actually completely different in the past - also that a dance very similar to the Argentine Tango was seen in Paris in the past.

I do think however that the spirit and feeling of how a dance is done is the most important thing - I am with you there. The best dances for me on SCD over the years have been those that have been true to the character and technique of the dance but with original twists and most importantly the thing you can't quite put your finger on but makes it stand out!!!! I really admire the celebs who don't just faff and shake around with props and who attempt and can crack the technique and feel of dances in such a short time. I think that when CRH said that he thought that Scott was the exception to the rule about anyone being able to learn to dance he was wrong - but let's remember the majority of people don't just have a few short SCD weeks in which to learn!!!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:18 pm

mauveangel09 wrote: the other dance I would mention is the Jive - look how many different versions and variations of  jive type dances that there actually are, but competition dance has chosen one version from which to set their standard.  

When Rock and Roll first knocked the UK for six, we'd even jive to "God Save The Queen". In rock and roll clubs there were really only two types of dance, jive and smooch. They used all the same music as the Ballrooms, like Moonlight Serenade and When I fall in Love, I'm in the Mood for Love etc, but the last waltz with the lights out wouldn't have been recognised on Come Dancing.... lol!
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: Which Dance this week?

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:35 pm

And I bet you rock and rollers wouldn't have been seen dead doing a ' kick and flick' lol!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:42 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:And I bet you rock and rollers wouldn't have been seen dead doing a ' kick and flick' lol!

Only flick we knew had "knife" after it... cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re:Which Dance this week?

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Brilliant! lol!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:45 pm

Week 6 Tunes & Dances (Halloween)

Judy and An ton - American Smooth to ‘Cruella De Vil’ from the movie 101 Dalmations.
Alison and Aljaz - American Smooth to ‘Wuthering Heights’ by Kate Bush.
Caroline and Pasha - Samba to ‘Le Freak’ by Chic.
Frankie and Kevin - Tango to ‘Defying Gravity’ from the musical Wicked.
Pixie and Trent - Paso Doble to ‘Danger! High Voltage’ by Electric Six.
Sunetra and Brendan - Jive to ‘Tainted Love’ by Gloria Jones.

Scott and Joanne - Foxtrot to The Addams Family Theme.
Steve and O la - Charleston to ‘Dem Bones, Dem Bones’ by Kay Starr.
Jake and Janette - Paso Doble to ‘Black Betty’ by Ram Jam.
Simon and Kristina - Paso Doble to ‘Poison’ by Alice Cooper.
Mark and Karen - Jive to ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ from the musical of the same name.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:25 pm

I just shook my head sadly at Jake's paso music. I could cry... Sad
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Week 6 - Youtube Tune Clips (Halloween)

101 Dalmations Film - Cruella De Vil
https://youtu.be/bw1v0yuZcgE

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
https://youtu.be/-1pMMIe4hb4

Chic - Le Freak
https://youtu.be/h1qQ1SKNlgY

Wicked Musical - Defying Gravity
https://youtu.be/IXzFOHrycHg

Electric Six - Danger! High Voltage
https://youtu.be/2Y-O9_HC9RQ

Gloria Jones - Tainted Love
https://youtu.be/_IpYc4X0Mds

The Adams Family Theme Song
https://youtu.be/X6QzbvH-ZNo?list=RDX6QzbvH-ZNo

Kay Starr - Dem Bones, Dem Bones, Dem Dry Bones
https://youtu.be/2UZbi1WD_Cs

Ram Jam - Black Betty
https://youtu.be/ZbjyuDYtAtk

Alice Cooper - Poison
https://youtu.be/Qq4j1LtCdww?list=RDQq4j1LtCdww

Little Shop of Horrors
https://youtu.be/EOdqriSeY7k
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:36 pm

First thoughts

Did I get the right track 'Defying Gravity' a Tango???????? How is Frankie going to dance to that?

Simon's out

Some of the stronger dancers have the worst music which may level the playing field a bit?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:39 pm

It's official! I hate theme weeks, and especially Halloween Week! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by cellar-door on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Just re-checked the Defying Gravity song. A few other people have versions but none sound like Tango to me.
Idina Menzel's version - https://youtu.be/kiynZW9ewNY

I thought Pixie was doing a Tango this week? Not that it matters. I suppose it'll end up a TangoDoble or a PasoTangled regardless of the music the poor band has to try to improve on.

It reminds me of the old style Soviet ice dancers who had 3 pieces of mismatched music cranking up in the background, whilst the skaters completely ignored their dance music, and just skated from one end of the rink to the other, throwing in a leap, spin or jump at either end. Thank gawd, the British skaters like Curry, Cousins, Torville & Dean didn't copy all that nonsense.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Can't believe I mistyped hate with have. Embarassed
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:22 pm

The Addams Family thene pale Cruella De Ville pale Dem bones Dem bones silent oh dear Iis not going to "put a spell on me!" This saturdays's music choice.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Bit anxious for my personal faves Sunetra and Brendan. Think they've drawn the short straw with Tainted Love which is simply too slow for a good Jive. Not sure it''ll really be Sunetra's dance anyway but this might hamper her further. "Little Shop Of Horrors" is a better tempo and more punchy, so I reckon Mark and Karen will win the battle of the Jives.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Sid wrote:Bit anxious for my personal faves Sunetra and Brendan. Think they've drawn the short straw with Tainted Love which is simply too slow for a good Jive. Not sure it''ll really be Sunetra's dance anyway but this might hamper her further. "Little Shop Of Horrors" is a better tempo and more punchy, so I reckon Mark and Karen will win the battle of the Jives.

They could speed it up, like Jake's Salsa and Jive music.
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:58 pm

cellar-door wrote:

They could speed it up, like Jake's Salsa and Jive music.

Checked and you're right CD, it's the faster, Gloria Jones version of the song. But I'm still not entirely convinced...have to wait and see!

Glad they confirmed on ITT that Pixie's doing a Tango. Really not sure about Frankie's music though.

I don't see Alison going anywhere. She's easily got the biggest song and I imagine she'll perform her heart out, and the audience won't notice the poor dancing and will love it.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:19 pm

Speaking of Tango, Mrs T just called me into the lounge where two ladies Surprise,Surpise, was to dance an Argentine Tango with Vincent and F lavia. How lucky can you get....? At least I got to watch. Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: Which dance this week?

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:31 pm

Sid wrote:

Checked and you're right CD, it's the faster, Gloria Jones version of the song. But I'm still not entirely convinced...have to wait and see!

Glad they confirmed on ITT that Pixie's doing a Tango. Really not sure about Frankie's music though.

I don't see Alison going anywhere. She's easily got the biggest song and I imagine she'll perform her heart out, and the audience won't notice the poor dancing and will love it.

Re: Sunetra and Brendan - They will have to speed it up!!!  Don't think this will be Sunetra's dance and I agree that Mark will win the battle of the jives - he is so light footed that this type of dance seems to suit him.     I don't think that Sunetra will give a bad performance but I just don't think it will quite be 'her' - mind you she will still get my votes!!!!    BTW - what has the track 'Tainted Love' got to do with Hallowe'en????

I can kind of see 'Wuthering Heights' fitting the theme but OMG - an american smooth????? I don't expect to see anything resembling a classic AS in what we will see -   My prediction has come true that both Alison and Scott will be 'goofing' around and will get another week at least out of the contest -  I think Caroline has done well with 'Le Freak' and I thought that Steve and  O la's charleston training looked good.  

Agree about Simon - but it depends who else lands opposite him as to whether they let him go doesn't it?  

How an earth can you do a paso to 'Black Betty'????   I love that track but never for a paso in a million years - the (admittedly very short) training clip on ITT tonight showed it as looking like some sort of 'western' style dance - mind you I quite liked O la's cowboy themed paso last year in a way.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: Which dance this week?

Post  Poppetlovestango Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:27 am

Couples Music Dance

Do you think production or whoever make the choices have 3 large goldfish bowls with numbered ping pong balls in, one bowl for couples another for dance and the last for music, they draw the balls out just like they do for the FA cup draw or that sort of competition. Could that be why the music and the dances don't go together lol!
Poppetlovestango
Poppetlovestango

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:33 pm

I think you might be right Poppet, but instead of one bowl for the couples, I think that one bowl is filled with neat spirits which they either drink or use to contact the dead like Scott
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  cellar-door Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:37 pm

Almost all the song choice for the dances tonight were terrible. I hate Halloween week with a passion! Evil or Very Mad
cellar-door
cellar-door

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:40 pm

cellar-door wrote:Almost all the song choice for the dances tonight were terrible. I hate Halloween week with a passion! Evil or Very Mad

It is fine if the right feel is created. Last year was better as it had Monster Mash (I think), Thriller and Scooby Doo Where Are You? that worked very well. But this year how can a 101 Dalmations (Walt Disney film) be classed as horror and same goes for Tainted Love and other songs. Of course the most horror-related song was reserved for Scott. Evil or Very Mad
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 8 Empty Re: Which Dance this Week?

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:08 pm

Some of the worst dancers had some of the best music tonight - what a waste!! Evil or Very Mad

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 26 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 26  Next