Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Dance This Week?

+13
Poppetlovestango
TANGOLERO
Sid
lualen
allsewnonbyhand
fiftynotout
diamondsandpearls
Wallflower
hatlady28
cellar-door
saxonsiren
mauveangel09
B4p
17 posters

Page 25 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 25 Empty Re: Which Dance This Week?

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:51 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Do we know this week's dances yet?

I have dug around and know that Anita has an Argentine Tango, Giorgia has a Foxtrot, Jay has a Rumba and Katie has a Foxtrot. Not sure of the other couple but would guess that Kellie has a Viennese Waltz (she hasn't had one yet) and Helen may have an Argentine Tango (again she has not had one yet). I stand corrected on this.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks C.C. that's helpful, also quite interesting. Anita should do pretty well with A.T. as should Georgia and Katie with ballroom. Jay might be a bit of a puzzler with rumba if Aliona's other half is in the audience. Same problems always for males with that dance. A dance -off seems a bit of a harsh solution now with so many on equal footings, but that's the game. Popularity is now a major factor as well as dance, more's the pity. If Helen has A.T and Kellie V.W., that could make it harder than ever to decide.

TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:19 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Thanks C.C. that's helpful, also quite interesting. Anita should do pretty well with A.T. as should Georgia and Katie with ballroom. Jay might be a bit of a puzzler with rumba if Aliona's other half is in the audience. Same problems always for males with that dance. A dance -off seems a bit of a harsh solution now with so many on equal footings, but that's the game. Popularity is now a major factor as well as dance, more's the pity. If Helen has A.T and Kellie V.W., that could make it harder than ever to decide.  

Just to add that Helen also has not done a Paso Doble too so she could have that dance.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:25 pm

Thanks for the update CC. Janette mentioned on periscore that Helen has the Paso. Will be interesting. I hope she manages the shaping and doesn't look too upright.

I think Jay should get the Rumba technique (I remember his Cha Cha walks looking good - and it's basiclaly those slowed down?). That and with his balletic arms, I expect his dance to blow everybody away.

Georgia will be fine although Disney Princess is not my thing.

Katie and Anita, though personally my favourites, are not as close to the finished article as the others. An A.nton Foxtrot should keep Katie safe. Not so sure about an Argentine Tango for Anita - I think it might be another slightly exposing dance for her. She really needs to work hard on her leg lines and pointing her feet. With Kellie likely to get a bit of a bounce-back vote, Anita might find herself in trouble. That's how I see it anyway.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 25 Empty Re: Which Dances this week

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Are you sure that A nita has the Argentine Tango? Just watched ITT and I'm sure Zoe said the Tango? I thought they may have done Tango already but the track is from 'Chicago' it is 'The Cell Block Tango' and that doesn't say Argentine Tango at all???? confused confused Perfect for a ballroom Tango though.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:38 pm

It's an A.T. Mauve. Here's the list from the site:

Anita & Gleb will dance the Argentine Tango to ‘Cell Block Tango’ from Chicago.
Georgia & Giovanni will Foxtrot to ‘Beauty & The Beast’ from the show of the same name.
Helen & Aljaz perform the Paso Doble to ‘At The End Of The Day’ from Les Miserables.
Jay & Aliona are going to Rumba to ‘Falling Slowly’ from Once.
Katie & Housewives choice are dancing the Foxtrot to ‘Maybe This Time’ from Cabaret.
And finally Kellie & Kevin are performing the Viennese Waltz to ‘Oom Pah Pah’ from Oliver.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:03 pm

I have a complaint. (this is not a new phenomenon; it happens frequently) Cool

A nton and Katie's slow foxtrot is better than Ovaltine for sleep inducing. I'm sure he'll make a very worthwhile slow foxtrot out of it, but I am seriously thinking of crossing the music choosers off all greeting card lists of any nature. Likewise the sleeping Beauty stuff. What's wrong with When you wish upon a Star?

As above, so below (sayeth some film or other) . Les Miserables is a wonderful musical, but paso music? Well, whatever.

Etc, etc,etc. The music moguls need to visit a few musicals. Start this at 40 secs in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSyCiIkOde8
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 pm

I disagree Mr T! I'm totally in love with "Maybe This Time"....I think it's going to be gorgeous.

I don't understand "Cell Block Tango" for an AT either mauve. I'm not happy. I was maybe expecting "I'd Be Good For You" from Evita (which Alesha and Matt used).

Helen's music would be good if they gagged the singers.

Everyone is raving about Jay and Aliona's song but I hate it (and accept I'm the odd one out!).

Kellie and Kevin's is *so* them (and that's not meant as a compliment). "As Long As He Needs Me" from Oliver would be my idea of VW music.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:33 pm

Sid wrote:

Kellie and Kevin's is *so* them (and that's not meant as a compliment). "As Long As He Needs Me" from Oliver would be my idea of VW music.

Yes I'm sure it will be delivered with all the aplomb of an end of term show at Sylvia Youngs.................... Rolling Eyes
Mind you - it is certainly a crowd pleaser -  they'll have em all rolling in the aisles no doubt! I love 'Oliver' but to be honest 'Oomp pah pah' will forever remind me of our School play many years ago...... I much prefer your track of choice S id.

I love Cabaret - one of my favourite musicals, I think they could make something really atmospheric and sophisticated out of this.

As to the rest of it - a bit pants for me................I was expecting so much more from musicals week. However, looking forward to the pros dancing to 'That's Entertainment' on the Sunday night.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:57 pm

Just a question: Does having four singers mean they have to be used on every number? You see, there's a whole rake of music designed for dance that was played by bands and orchestras where lyricss were'nt involved at all. Last week, for instance, they played a sung version of Malaguena when an instrumental version might have had more effect. Sid has made a similar remark about lyrics sometimes getting in the way and I totally agree with him. Sometimes the lyrics have nothing to do with a theme, so surely best left out? Okay, okay, I'm going on again about square pegs round holes, I know. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate Dave Arch's fine orchestra, I do, it's just that a bit of dramatic instrumental stuff might be a nice change.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:12 am

TANGOLERO wrote:I have a complaint. (this is not a new phenomenon; it happens frequently) Cool

A nton and Katie's slow foxtrot is better than Ovaltine for sleep inducing. I'm sure he'll make a very worthwhile slow foxtrot out of it, but I am seriously thinking of crossing the music choosers off all greeting card lists of any nature. Likewise the sleeping Beauty stuff. What's wrong with When you wish upon a Star?

As above, so below (sayeth some film or other) . Les Miserables is a wonderful musical, but paso music? Well, whatever.

Etc, etc,etc. The music moguls need to visit a few musicals. Start this at 40 secs in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSyCiIkOde8

You and me both Tango.....

Call me irresponsible/madam (delete as appropriate) but I kind of thought when they had musicals week they would be choosing tunes which were known to have fabulous dances with them. So the Cell Block Tango (Tango mind, not AT) passes. Beauty and the Beast just about as I can remember an image of Beauty twirling with Beasty somewhere in the film, though I can't remember the tune. But Oom Pa Pa is OUT. I have no idea what the Les Mis song is, but Les Mis is NOT a dancey sort of musical. Caberet is - but Maybe This Time is not. It's a contemplative song. No dancing. And if any dancing were to be involved then it would be a sola dance. So there...!

I am going to make an exception, just to be nice, and allow Falling Slowly because it is a beautiful song. However, such beauty should not be sullied by a loathsome rumba (the sooner they get rid of the awkward, cringey rumba the better).

Foxtrot belongs firmly in the fabulous musicals from the 30s and 40s. There are zillions of fabulous, wonderful, marvellous ones to choose from. And there should be plenty of fodder there for the VW. Those musicals reflect the glitz and glamour required of strictly. Oliver is a dirty, messy musical, as is Les Mis (the clue is in the title of that one....). Chicago and Caberet have a sleazy glamour to them which is suitable for a tango. The only rumba song allowed is Perhaps from Strictly Ballroom. There's a great Paso tune in there too.

On reflection Tango - I think we are being too lenient with them. Merely deleting them from our greetings card list does not reflect the seriousness of the crime. There is only one thing for it.

Off with their heads - chop chop!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:09 pm

I seriously hope that the Rumba gets dropped next series. It's all too balletic and soft the way it's done anyway. Let's have something with a little more pace and life about it. Nearly all males find it embarrasing and women in partnerships must also be uncomfortable with it. Strictly is getting a bit of an unsavoury reputation for people hinting at affairs (fictitious or no) and I think we should have something like this to take the Rumba's place.... Neutral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2fqjsijaMM&list=RDj2fqjsijaMM#t=51
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:23 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:I seriously hope that the Rumba gets dropped next series. It's all too balletic and soft the way it's done anyway. Let's have something with a little more pace and life about it. Nearly all males find it embarrasing and women in partnerships must also be uncomfortable with it. Strictly is getting a bit of an unsavoury reputation for people hinting at affairs (fictitious or no) and I think we should have something like this to take the Rumba's place.... Neutral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2fqjsijaMM&list=RDj2fqjsijaMM#t=51

I do so agree. The Rumba is just not one of those dances that get my juices flowing - a bit too artistic for me and it is not an eye-opening dance for me.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:50 pm

In my opinion only one couple have danced it properly this season and that was Katie and a nton - one of the dances of the season for me. The problem seems to be that most of the pros treat it like a freestyle dance so we get wildly differing interpretations with a few rumba moves thrown in. It has morphed a long way from what it really is - and it has lost it's character. Get back to basics and dance a slow Latin dance which is what it is!!!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Semi-Final Music:

Anita & Gleb will dance the Foxtrot to Frank Sinatra’s ‘New York, New York’ as well as perform a Salsa to ‘Feel This Moment’ by Pitbull feat. Christina Aguilera.

Georgia & Giovanni will dance a Viennese Waltz to ‘Runaway’ by The Corrs plus they will dance an Argentine Tango to ‘Tanguera’ by Sexeto Mayor.

Jay & Aliona are going to Charleston to ‘Doctor Jazz’ from musical Jelly’s Last Jam and perform a Viennese Waltz to Bryan Adams’ ‘Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman’?

Katie & Housewives choice are dancing the Waltz to ‘O Mio Babbino Caro’ by Puccini as well as dance the Charleston to ‘Too Darn Hot’ from the musical Kiss Me Kate.

Kellie & Kevin are performing the American Smooth to ‘Let’s Face The Music And Dance’ by Irving Berlin plus they will perform a Rumba to ‘Songbird’ by Eva Cassidy.

Katie and A.nton are going to steal the show with Puccini!
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 25 Empty Re: Which Dances this Week

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:21 pm

A lot of good choices there........... Very Happy I don't think anyone really has drawn the short straw this week although I particularly love both tracks that G + G have got. Two dances will make it very interesting!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:37 pm

Sid wrote:Semi-Final Music:

Anita & Gleb will dance the Foxtrot to Frank Sinatra’s ‘New York, New York’ as well as perform a Salsa to ‘Feel This Moment’ by Pitbull feat. Christina Aguilera.

Georgia & Giovanni will dance a Viennese Waltz to ‘Runaway’ by The Corrs plus they will dance an Argentine Tango to ‘Tanguera’ by Sexeto Mayor.

Jay & Aliona are going to Charleston to ‘Doctor Jazz’ from musical Jelly’s Last Jam and perform a Viennese Waltz to Bryan Adams’ ‘Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman’?

Katie & Housewives choice are dancing the Waltz to ‘O Mio Babbino Caro’ by Puccini as well as dance the Charleston to ‘Too Darn Hot’ from the musical Kiss Me Kate.

Kellie & Kevin are performing the American Smooth to ‘Let’s Face The Music And Dance’ by Irving Berlin plus they will perform a Rumba to ‘Songbird’ by Eva Cassidy.

Katie and A.nton are going to steal the show with Puccini!

Wow! Some fab music choices. Shame Kevin is going to be let loose with Let's face the Music - I feel A.nton, Aljaz, A.liona or Gio would have done it more justice choreographically than kevin will do. I'm already really looking forward to Georgia and Gio's two dances - I think they both have the potential to be incredibly special. Not such a fan (for ballroom dancing) of opera, but if you have to then Puccini is the one to go for. Too Darn Hot is fantastic but more of a quickstep to me than a Charleston. Don't know either of Jay's songs, Don't care! New York Foxtrot also wasted on Gleb - this could have been gorgeous. Don't know the other one off top of head but have a feeling I will recognise it. Don't think it has a Cuban vibe, so not filled with joy at it's prospect. And then there is the Gleb factor...

Last edited by diamondsandpearls on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Ooh a bit of drama guys! Georgia's AT has been dropped and she is now doing the Cha Cha! (song TBC). No idea what the reasoning is but it's just been changed on the site.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Which Dance This Week? - Page 25 Empty Re: Which Dance this week

Post  mauveangel09 Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:01 pm

oooh! wonder why? What a shame, the track was brilliant. I thought they had already done a cha cha, it must have been a salsa instead.
Did Zoe say why they were not on ITT tonight - it is usually the saved couple on Tuesday, she mentioned it but I didn't catch whether she gave the reason confused

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:03 pm

Sid wrote:Ooh a bit of drama guys! Georgia's AT has been dropped and she is now doing the Cha Cha! (song TBC). No idea what the reasoning is but it's just been changed on the site.

Oh no! Tho I'm sure Georgia will deliver a great cha cha cha it's not one of my favourite dances - an AT is so much more dramatic and more the stuff of semi finals. Such a shame Sad Maybe Gio injured himself and can't do any lifts involved?
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:13 pm

I know. AT ---> Cha Cha is a bit of a disappointment. No one goes "ooh can't wait to see their Cha Cha".
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:45 pm

Nothing too outrageous this week, some decent stuff actually.

Shame about Georgia's A.T, that would have been a cracker, I'm sure. Puzzled as to the reason, but hey, they'll dance.

J&A will probably deliver with the Charlston and the Bryan Adams song I have at home. It's the one he did with Paco de Lucia and should be good.

Katie & Housewives choice are dancing the Waltz to ‘O Mio Babbino Caro’ by Puccini as well as dance the Charleston to ‘Too Darn Hot’ from the musical Kiss Me Kate.. O Mio Babbino Caro is an achingly beautiful song and I have the Sissel version somewhere. Sissel is also a very beautiful lady. This should bring the house down. It will just dazzle..... Here's a link:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6DpMiT7uCE
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Tina Sparkle Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:30 pm

Mmmm "Too Darn Hot" seems a bit of an odd choice for a Charleston. I'd do a Quickstep, but I'm sure that it will be entertaining.

I Love "O Mio Babbino Caro" but I'm really not sure about this choice! Mostly because I'm not looking forward to hearing what Dave Arch and his merry band of singers do to it.....

Seriously I think that both will work well for A nton and Katie. I can see them getting to the final, I really can.

Tina Sparkle
Tina Sparkle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Georgia update: she will Cha Cha to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" which I imagine will go down very well indeed!

Anita's music is a bit meh?
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Sid wrote:Georgia update: she will Cha Cha to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" which I imagine will go down very well indeed!

Sentiments great, but for me the music is as far from a cha-cha intent as doing a paso to Zippedeedooda or a tango to "We're off to see the wizard" , Sid. Absolute cringe-worthy choice and Georgia should be displaying Latin pzazz and going for it, not Motown melodrama. That's "handbags in the middle girls" Friday night club stuff. More confusion than fusion. Ugh...sack the lot of the music choosers...Sorry. Surprised

santa
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next