Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe

+6
jingle
Twirlie
CaledonianCraig
saxonsiren
B4p
mauveangel09
10 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe Empty RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:25 pm

I've really been enjoying the programme about the EasyJet pilot training on ITV - called 'EasyJet - inside the cockpit'. Thought it would be just another 'fly on the wall' job and started watching it casually - but it had me gripped very quickly - so interesting and different - I think there has always been a bit of mystery about how pilots get into the job -and the programme covers lots of things that we don't know about commercial pilot training - for me it has endearing characters and is quite funny too although one of the trainees looks about 12 years old Smile

I'm also enjoying 'From Russia to Iran' on Sunday evening C4. If you've never seen one of Levisons expeditions I recommend it - this is no ordinary travelogue - he always goes to unusual places, last year he did Central America which was fascinating and previously the Himalayas. This year it is the Caucasus. Its a 'warts and all' walk with a hand held camera and nothing staged - whatever happens happens. Good Sunday night viewing.

I enjoyed the first series of 'Victoria' - wasn't sure about the first one of the new series on Sunday. I hope the divine Lord M will be making an appearance.

I agree with Sax that we need a good Sunday night period drama for the autumn - I was sad that they don't appear to me making another series of 'Home Fires'. I wonder if they ever intend making another series of 'The Village'?

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe Empty Re: RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe

Post  B4p Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:08 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:
I'm also enjoying 'From Russia to Iran' on Sunday evening C4.  If you've never seen one of Levisons expeditions I recommend it - this is no ordinary travelogue - he always goes to unusual places, last year he did Central America which was fascinating and previously the Himalayas. This year it is the Caucasus.  Its a  'warts and all' walk with a hand held camera and nothing staged - whatever happens happens.  Good Sunday night viewing.

I enjoyed the first series of 'Victoria' - wasn't sure about the first one of the new series on Sunday.  I hope the divine Lord M will be making an appearance.

I agree about about the Levison's expeditions, I'm enjoying those too.

I think the main reason I watched the first Victoria was that I was hoping for a new angle, maybe something darker, grittier. and a bit more 'Victorian'. I can't imagine the real Victoria was so saccharine sweet. She just seems like yet another clothes horse. I really would have liked to see what she might have thought of some of those politicians behind closed doors. For a female leader, I can't remember her improving the lot of women or children particularly.

Rufus Sewell would give a good performance in anything. He played a lawyer in an Italian series that was really good, but I can't remember what it was called now.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe Empty Re: RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe

Post  saxonsiren Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:29 pm

I remember Rufus in the Italian programme too. I'm finding Victoria bit too bland. I'd rather have had widow Victoria and characters...
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:09 pm

I started watching 'Outlander', but then missed a couple of shows, so I've now decided to wait until the DVD comes out.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Absolutely loathe Mrs Brown's Boys....quick pass me the sick bucket. If that is comedy I think I will ask my dentist to remove my wisdom teeth for a better laugh.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 am

Just found this thread. Does anyone have Netflix? We started watching a couple of episodes of an Australian series called "Offspring". We quickly were binge watching at least two episodes every night. The blurb by the programme doesn't sound very preprocessing but we found all 7 seasons obsessive watching and hugely entertaining. The lead character Nina, is one of the funniest characters we've come across. Highly recommended. Very Happy
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 am

I don't have netflix Twirlie but often look out for TV box sets when I'm in HMV. I started watching NCIS when my other half was in hospital and got a bit hooked on the characters. The problem was, the shows were not in sequence. On one, my favourite character got kidnapped and I couldn't find the episode to tell me the outcome so I decided to go and by the box set!
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 am

Ooh, yes I have netflix - I'll try Offspring, thanks Twirlie.

I've just finished watching the most ridiculous series called Black Lake on BBC4 - I usually love their Saturday night subtitles, especially scandi-noir, but this series was utterly daft. I think it was intended to be horror, but was so cliched that it ended up almost funny.

My absolute 'must watch' at the moment, as well as Strictly, is Bake off. I think channel 4 have done really very well, in spite of the adverts I think they've improved on the BBC version. It does make me think that maybe Strictly could benefit from a revamp and a few new ideas.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 am

jingle wrote:
My absolute 'must watch' at the moment, as well as Strictly, is Bake off. I think channel 4 have done really very well, in spite of the adverts I think they've improved on the BBC version. It does make me think that maybe Strictly could benefit from a revamp and a few new ideas.  

I agree that Bake Off has retained it's appeal, but I think that has mostly to do with the fact that it's produced by an independent company rather than to do with Channel 4. I think Strictly has been revamped enough in recent years with silly VTs etc etc. Let's leave it at the Beeb and as it is for the moment!!!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

RE: Other TV programmes you like or loathe Empty Re: Other TV Programmes you like or loathe

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 pm

I wouldn't like SCD to be on a commercial channel as I couldn't stand all the commercial breaks, especially at the early stages where the programmes are so long. I used to watch 'Dancing on Ice' on ITV which I really enjoyed but it was on for so long and was hard going - sometimes they would just have two couples then a break, then you get all the sponsors bit grrr!!! I'm also finding the same with James Martin's new Saturday morning show on ITV - fun but too long and drawn out. I suppose you can record a show and fast forward over the adverts...........mind you I find myself doing that a bit with SCD now, watching it a bit in delay so I can fast forward over the silly VTs............................... Laughing

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 am

jingle wrote:Ooh, yes I have netflix - I'll try Offspring, thanks Twirlie.

I've just finished watching the most ridiculous series called Black Lake on BBC4 - I usually love their Saturday night subtitles, especially scandi-noir, but this series was utterly daft. I think it was intended to be horror, but was so cliched that it ended up almost funny.

Ha, I finished watching Black Lake last night Jingle and you're right it was an absolute stinker! I usually enjoy scandi-noir dramas (Trapped, Follow the Money etc) but this was farcical tension-free nonsense - I kept hoping an avalanche would come along and end everything Very Happy That idiot Johan, why wouldn't he just let them leave! Cheered when he didn't make it Very Happy

As for Bake Off, the revamp's been loads better than I thought it'd be. I was dreading Noel but he's turned out to be the star of the show - and dare I say it, I actually prefer Prue's manner to Mary Berry's. I still think we reached Peak Bake Off the year Nadiya won - that moment will never be eclipsed. But I'm quite liking this group too - apart from Stacey. HOW IS STACEY STILL THERE SHE SERVED UP PAPER.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Loving The GBBO... I'm fan of Noel & Sandy and got used to Paul but not Pru at all. ... Stacey yes did leave parchment paper but she did slightly better than a few of the others. Some have served raw batter etc. I recalled how Nadia had poor weeks and I couldn't understand how she survived in the early weeks. I think they take it as a whole all three bakes....
love the adverts so I can pop kettle on...

It feels as if I never 2atch live TV but always catch up!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:47 am

Omg omg bounce bounce bounce more of Kit Harrington aka Jon Snow! Another period drama Gunpowder on the BBC and the lovely locks are back yes! I need my Kit fix
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:32 pm

I'll look out for that one sax. I like a bit of gunpowder Cool
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 am

Twirlie wrote:Just found this thread. Does anyone have Netflix? We started watching a couple of episodes of an Australian series called "Offspring". We quickly were binge watching at least two episodes every night. The blurb by the programme doesn't sound very preprocessing but we found all 7 seasons obsessive watching and hugely entertaining. The lead character Nina, is one of the funniest characters we've come across. Highly recommended. Very Happy

Well, now I'm bereft Sad

I took a look at this after Twirlies recommendation ... wasn't that fussed on the first couple of programmes, but then suddenly got totally hooked...have now binge-watched all seven series! Boo hoo, I've just finished it, and the final series only had 10 episodes rather than the usual 13, so I wasn't expecting it to end so soon.  Hope they make a series 8, I need to find out what happens next

Anyhow, I definitely second Twirlie's recommendation, it's addictive viewing.
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 am

The new Star Trek series on Netflix pretty good x
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 am

Twirlie wrote:Just found this thread. Does anyone have Netflix? We started watching a couple of episodes of an Australian series called "Offspring". We quickly were binge watching at least two episodes every night. The blurb by the programme doesn't sound very preprocessing but we found all 7 seasons obsessive watching and hugely entertaining. The lead character Nina, is one of the funniest characters we've come across. Highly recommended. Very Happy

Ooh thanks Twirlie and Jingle, I will definitely check this out - need a good binge watch now GBBO has finished, although there appears to be some good dramas this week on the Beeb- love Kay Mellor so will be watching the one about registrar, and the boy in the topknot looks good not sure if it's a one off or a series? Also recording Howard's end, so I think I've got enough enough to keep me going for a while now!!

PS. Also excited for IACGMOOH, I never know most of the contestants but it's my one trash reality treat of the year!
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:40 am

Basketball cheers I love IACGMOOH. Cheers my cold winter weeks up. Love Ant & Dec their strong friendship and no horrible personal attacks on contestants they save that for the critters! Who will be in? Steph and Dom? Ed? Possibly Will Young? I'd like to see no Towie or MIC stars.. A one direction band member maybe? Our Cheryl might need a holiday. .. Wayne Rooney maybe?
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:05 pm

saxonsiren wrote:The new Star Trek series on Netflix pretty good x

Agreed. Excellent!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:12 pm

saxonsiren wrote:The new Star Trek series on Netflix pretty good x
 Yes I have been watching it. It takes getting use to as it isn't your normal run-of-the-mill Star Trek series but I am enjoying it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Hubby hadn't clocked in the first 2 episodes the lead character played by Malfoy's father Lucius Malfoy. He turned and said noooo. I'm yes it's the same actor Jason Isaacs... I could clearly see it was.
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 am

I forgot this is here! (T'is a rainy day, I'm not working, have no urgent chores, have read my book, have done enough of my baby's blanket for the day and now... I'm just trawling through my favourite sites....)

Just to re-cap - most of the year I live under a stone technolgy-wise. In the winter I crawl out and usually find myself in a place where internet access, and sometimes even TV, are available... No TV this year, but at least I have very good internet.

So, I don't have a Netflix account because I could only access it 3 or 4 months of the year but can do iplayer, ITVplayer and All4...

I am in need of a good series. I am adoring series 3 of the Detectorists, but that is just half an hour every week of sublime tv. I watched the entire series of Motherhood and loved that too - fabulous writing and great performances. I watch Strictly and ITT (obvs!), the Apprentice (that's my trash tv), but a good drama would be nice.

I'm not such a fan of Kay Mellor, so probably won;t be watching Registrar, but I'm wondering about Howard's End. I'm not a fan of EM Forster, and I have seen the Emma Thompson/Helena Bottom Carter adaptation and wastn;t blow away. So how are those watching finding it?

Are threre any other terrrestial TV recommendations? (I may succumb, as I usually do, to I'm a S. leb, but I usually manage to hold out until at least the second week...)

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:15 pm

B4p wrote:I started watching 'Outlander', but then missed a couple of shows, so I've now decided to wait until the DVD comes out.

I saw the first five episodes last winter when I shared a place with a friend who has Netflix and Prime.  Then I had to go back under my stone....  So I got the book... but do you know, for once the TV series is WAY better than the book.  The TV series is faithful in terms of the plot, but Diana Glabraith isn't the best writer in the world (in my opinion) and I found the actors gave the TV characters more depth and realism.  Great performances (esp the gorgeous Sam Heughan as Jamie...).  So sad I can't finish the series :-(  (And yes, there is a DVD, but I have very little work in the winter so I have to spend my pennies very wisely....!)
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:42 pm

I loved Fresh Meat about students starring Jack Whitnail.... Have you ever watched Greys Anatomy? Or watched Spaced.. Channel 4 and E 4 have fab box sets... of course Game of Thrones a must

I watched The Borgia's fab series.... Humans a good series too Handmaid s Tale as well all Channel 4

Loving s.let already and had to lol at Mrs I'm a footballers wife Vary saying to Stanley "it's ok you can pop your eyes back in now" after drooling at another young lady's arrival... Plus loved omg I want a sugar daddy older politican face when she wasn't paired with Stanley! Least thou she knew who Stanley was! Looking forward to Jamie (who!l) losing his rag re Stanley and his old style bumbling I mean everyone goes to boarding school what!
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:04 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:
Just to re-cap - most of the year I live under a stone technolgy-wise. In the winter I crawl out and usually find myself in a place where internet access, and sometimes even TV, are available...  No TV this year, but at least I have very good internet.

So, I don't have a Netflix account because I could only access it 3 or 4 months of the year but can do iplayer, ITVplayer and All4...

I am in need of a good series.  I am adoring series 3 of the Detectorists, but that is just half an hour every week of sublime tv. I watched the entire series of Motherhood and loved that too - fabulous writing and great performances. I watch Strictly and ITT (obvs!), the Apprentice (that's my trash tv), but a good drama would be nice.

I'm not such a fan of Kay Mellor, so probably won;t be watching Registrar, but I'm wondering about Howard's End.  I'm not a fan of EM Forster, and I have seen the Emma Thompson/Helena Bottom Carter adaptation and wastn;t blow away. So how are those watching finding it?
The A Word is starting a second series on BBC and 2 episodes are available on catch-up. It's set in the lake district and centres round a family coming to terms with a 5 year old boy being diagnosed as autistic. He's a happy chap - moderately autistic but the angst and the comedy, for there's both in large measure, comes from the family's attempt to cope and come to terms with the boy's diagnosis. It's a great ensemble piece with a terrific young lad playing the boy, but Christopher Eccleston really walks away with the show as the boy's grandad. He really is a man not totally in control of the world around him. You can actually find series one on YouTube. It's not obviously easy to watch as it's been surrounded and off-set in the screen, presumeably to get round BBC rights. It's worth pursuing though. Do you use Amazon? If you don't use Netflix then Amazon Prime may be attractive to you. Or even Now TV. Any monthly fee can easily be cancelled after your 3 or 4 months use. I cannot tell you how intrigued I am as to where you go in the 8 or 9 months where you have no TV or internet!!!
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next