Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2017 Weekly Highs & Lows

+8
diamondsandpearls
fiftynotout
jingle
Sid
TANGOLERO
mauveangel09
CaledonianCraig
B4p
12 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

SCD 2017 Weekly Highs & Lows - Page 5 Empty Re: SCD 2017 Weekly Highs & Lows

Post  allsewnonbyhand Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:06 pm

highs
Debbie's AS
Katya's very clever choreography
Claudia's off the cuff comment re Mollie and AJ kissing Razz Razz

lows
Poor music/ themes again in particular Alex and Davood- any correlation between that and DO? scratch
wardrobe- where's the glitz gone ? Crying or Very sad
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Highs:

Not many outside of the performances as I thought they were all trying really hard. Hat's off to them for that, they are amateurs after all. Gemma's lifesaver vote-in, although she was a tad lucky in truth. Oliver sketch was pure musical and enjoyable for it.

Lows:

Judges bias and totally out of order careless and insensitive remarks (I'm no wall flower at sledging, but there are limits).
Davood having no possible chance of redemption against Gloria Gainall.
Claudia's slapstick is wearing thin. She's better than that.
Tess (Wish she'd stop sayin g "My Darling" in a blatant steal from Brucie...)
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:17 pm

Highs

- Joe and Katya's Samba. Probably my favourite dance of the series for the sheer campiness, quirkiness and "how the heck did they make that work?" factor.

- Debbie and Gio creating more dancefloor memories (altho after reading Nicole Cutler's critique - she only gave it a 7 - I did notice some of the imperfections of the dance on rewatch).

- Ed Balls entertaining the crowd. I loved Claud - and especially Tess - joining in.

Lows

- Yes she was overmarked and makes gushy speeches but I felt gutted for Alexandra.

- Double the wardrobe budget because the outfits aren't cutting it.

Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Tappingfeet Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:55 pm

Highs  

Joe and Katyas  samba ,Not only did I put my knitting down but I stood up and clapped .It was beautifully quirky yet spot on to that music and theme .I loved it .
Mollie and Gemma  getting through and their joy at getting called out .
Katya being so happy and delighted at being through   and Joe looking really chuffed
Ed Balls and  Tess and Claudia  dancing . Made my night !

Lows .
Alexandras  boots , who thought that that was a good look and not realize   it would make her look clumpy and awkward .
Craigs  mentioning Alexandras mum at her lowest point of the evening and risking her having a meltdown on TV ,
Alexandra and Gorkas crestfallen faces when  they realized it was slipping away from them  
Russel  Grant appearing .................Just NO  .
Tappingfeet
Tappingfeet

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:06 pm

Highs

Katya and Joe defying all the odds and making a totally irrelevant song work in sublime bonkers-tastic fashion
Debs and Gio's chemistry which make pretty much every dance work no matter what her technical imperfections may be
Ummm.... scraping the barrel now - seeing Claud dance (even if was the EVIL Twisted Evil Gangnam Style)

Lows

The horrible AT song, theme and choreography (it didn't have Vinthent's signature on it, and I hope to goodness he was nowhere near it)
AJ putting in an illegal lift - and the judges scoring it a 9 (which means it would otherwise have got a 10.... Shocked )
Alexandra's dress
Alexandra's boots
The general mixing up of dances with themes that didn't match them so there was a mismatch of costume and dance. Did I mention Alexandra's outfit?
Bringing up Alex's bereavement at a particularly low moment

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:22 pm

Tappingfeet wrote:  
Russel  Grant appearing .................Just NO  .

SECONDED.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 pm

Sid wrote:

SECONDED.

Third agreement grrrrrrr. ..
saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

SCD 2017 Weekly Highs & Lows - Page 5 Empty Re: SCD 17 weekly Highs and Lows

Post  mauveangel09 Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:53 pm

HIGHS
Joe and Katya cleverly doing a great and genius Samba to the most improbable music! Loved it.
Debbie and Gio's American Smooth - Lovely
The opening n umber from 'Oliver'
The pro dancing in the results show and all weekend - much better than what it has been of late (excepting the 'Fashion' routine last week)
Ed Balls dancing with C laude and T ess
Judges rolling their eyes after Russell Grant's appearance
Judges doing the little routine and swapping seats during Davood and Nadiya's last dance.

Lows
Illegal lifts not being properly challenged or penalised - should be one rule for all
Judges very inconsistent marking this week - I blow hot and cold with Shirley but it seems like she's either all over them like a rash and throwing the '10's out or she has a downer on them - nothing in between. Didn't like or understand the arbitary '20% more acting' comment to Gemma.
As usual, some inappropriate music - although after I saw what Joe and Katya achieved with theirs, I think Davood and Nadiya might have at least attempted a bit more authentic AT steps and moves. As usual, she is delusional about how good she thinks it was (on ITT tonight)
The whole Alex thing.............the insensitive comments from those who should know better but I don't think she's helped her popularity with all the 'gushing' over the weeks.
The stupid Mollie and AJ 'kiss' comments
T ess was at her worst with the simpering at the judges table this week - wish she'd put a sock in it sometimes.

Lest this seems like a bit of a rant - as I said in my original post after the show on Saturday - I did enjoy the show and I did think that (against the odds in some cases) there was some great dancing! Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:40 am

I forgot to do this thread!

Highs
Joe & Katya. That will remain as one of my favourite Strictly dances.
Davood arriving by chandelier.
Tess and Claudia's main show outfits. Particularly liked the shade of blue for Tess's dress.
Patrick who sang 'The Phantom' theme.
The Band
Gorka's blazer

Lows
I love the musical Oliver, but I found this a bit too chaotic for me. In fact, there's been several pro opening dances this year that I've felt there's just too much going on and it's bedlam. Saying that, I did love the 'Fashion' pro dance last week.
Alexandra's dress (what was that supposed to be?) and her boots (not even Edwardian style).
The huge disparity between judges scores, and their inconsistencies regarding lift rules.
Clauditorium zoo.
Tess & Claudia keep going on about kiss-gate and isn't she sweet' 'aren't they adorable'. Get a grip, Mollies 30 not a teenager. I don't remember them saying that about Jonnie (who was the baby of the group at 24)
Darcey having verbal diarrhoea over ? Debbie's routine. Felt like she was trying to point score over Shirley by showing off her dance knowledge.
Tess (verbal diarrhoea and interrupting yet again). Inane rhetorical questions. I wasn't impressed by how she said to Alexandra (just before she started her dance off) 'You know how we all love you' but hardly said anything encouraging to Davood.
Judges sniping at Gemma, but not at Mollie who frankly looked gormless to me.
Judges making a fuss saying Alexandra shouldn't have been there. I felt quite sorry for Davood. He might as well have just gone down the pub for a swift half.
Debbay's cocking her leg up, spinning and doing the splits yet again. I thought her dance was disjointed.
Wasn't keen on 'The Dream Girls'. Tonsillar gymnastics make my ears bleed.

I'm not sure why we kept getting so many shots of Denise Lewis (the Olympian). Does this mean she'll be joining in next year perhaps?
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  saxonsiren Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:19 am

Highs

Joe and Katya

Lows

Tess' & C,raig comments again about Alexandra's mom.
Continual snipes at some couples and others get off Scott free.
Davood going and treated as if he shouldn't bother to dance as a foregone conclusion who judges will save.

Boots pale affraid mmmm WHY? not showing delay re dance off as Alexandra needed check up re injury?

Also did anyone else see Zoe Ball's tweet about all the hate comments out there for contestants? Which comments did Zoe refer too? Or which media site/groups?

saxonsiren
saxonsiren

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:33 am

saxonsiren wrote:

Third agreement grrrrrrr. ..

Fourthed.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 am

It's weekly highs and lows thread, so....

Highs....Not a lot.

Lows....The absolute bandwaggon of the media making/jumping aboard of the contestants effectively private lives. The whole show has become a target for sleazy comments/pictures, articles of things non-dance related. "The public have a right to know" is the banner they fly, whilst helping to wreck marriages and break up families by their snooping and shxt-stirring. To my shame, my wife prefers a certain red top rag because she genuinly likes its crossword/puzzle section, but she reads the rest anyway. Left totally to me I wouldn't give any of them house room. To call them Tripe merchants would be a slur on the butchers. Evil or Very Mad
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:30 pm

Well, here I am again (it's blowing a hooly and I don't want to go for a walk)...

I was reading the Highs and Lows thread and noticed how many of you a) like Davood attached to a chandelier and b) how many of you liked the Oliver number....

Well, I'm going to be honest (and possibly a bit ranty - it's that sort of day).

Everytime a s.leb starts a dance descending from the rafters, dangling from or on a bit of prop-age I feel extreme boredom wash over me. It is at best delaying and diverting tactics and at worst just hokey rubbish. As Shania Twain said, in the days when her face looked normal, it don' impress-a me much. They tend to do it with the weaker dancers or dances (though probably not exlusively - I haven't done any research...) and it immediately signals to me that this isn't going to be much cop. (For example, when Fern Britton did a charleston as Mary Poppins she descended attached to an umbrella. Alex was jus sat on the fairground horse and leapt into action as soon as the music started. They clearly expected great things of this dance which they didn;t of Fern's. Just sayin'...) I am sorry to be such a fun-squisher. But there you have it. Just walk onto the dance floor, get into position, cue the music and... dance.

b) Oliver. Despite my lovely Dad rating this as a musical it has never done anything at all for me. The story for a start.... depressing Dickensian (well, it would be, wouldn't it..) morality tale with domestic violence, child abuse and all sorts of other misery which doesn't make me feel at all singy and dancey. And then there is the music. It's either semi operetta ('Who will buy?') or a bit of ole cockerny knees up ('Oom pah pah pah' - Altough that has always sounded more German bierkeller to me...). And even the songs are sung in faux cockney for goodness sakes! (Es lohng as 'e nayds mae') If you listen to Martin McCutcheon sing, it is very different to 'ah she spekes innit. My mum is a genuine cockney (born within the sound of Bow Bells) as are her sisters, and they don't sing in cockney. So oom pah pah pah to that!

And now back to Charleston gate... I watched it with the sound off. There were a very few bits of actual Charelston in it - just the swivel bits mostly. It was a stage production of a good old cockney knees-up (I refer you to above...) with pearly kings and queens trying to get in on the act. As a routine for entertainment it could have been ok - if we leave aside the abomination that was Alexandra's dress and boots combo. But a Charleston it wasnt and a ten it wasn't - there was a couple of hesitations and her barrel thingy was rubbish. It should have been an 8 from C.raig and 9s from everyone else. I think the production team saw this in rehearsal and thought it was goign to be a crowdpleaser and so lined it up to end the show. Little did they know... I think she would have been better served to go right slam dunk in the middle -after Molly and before Davood, with Debs finishing the show. Anyway, that was Saturday and it is a new week, two new dances, lets leave that all behind us bla bla bla.

But assuming Alxandra gets t the final, she sure won't be doing that Charleston...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Highs

Generally high standard of dances across the board.

Joe and Katya pulling off a samba despite an unsuitable song.

The pro dance.

Clip of Ed Balls dancing with Tess and Claudia pre-show.

Lows

The totally OTT reaction to Alexandra's dance and B,runo and Shirley almost acting as cheerleaders in the background during their dance. Nauseating especially when Tess never got chance to select which judge had first say on Alex's dance as Silver tongued Italian Stallion burst in and gushed away for a dance that was not in the top three Charlestons of the series.

Equally, C.raig's gushing though in results show he picked out at least two things wrong with the dance.

Sad to see Davood go in those circumstances. Very tough dance to master with the pressure on.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 pm

My semi-finals:-

HIGHS

Overall high standard of dance.

Tess's scarlet dress.

Joe and Gemma reaching the final.

The clips of support for the dancers was a nice addition.

LOWS

Mollie struggling with the Sama.

Mollie and AJ's exit but somebody had to go.

Sunday Group Dance.

The Judges continuing to act like cheerleaders for Alex and Debbie.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 pm

Semi final highs
Alexandra's salsa
Joe's AT
The banter between Darcey and B.runo- it was a bit de- mob happy but made me laugh
Distinct lack of props and faffing for the most part

semi final lows
c.raigs marking a 4 for Mollie
Some poor music again

I didn't see all the results show but just to stick two fingers up to the vile trolls, I'm glad Alex got through without a DO.
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:50 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:Semi final highs

semi final lows
c.raigs marking a 4 for Mollie
Some poor music again

Says it for me, and a sad feeling for Mollie, but it was her time and she's done so well.
plus I wish somebody would either give Tess a script or a gag, preferably the latter.

Highs, Joe and Gemma going to the final. They probably won't win.....but then again, wh knows.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 am

Highs

- Alexandra flicking V signs to the media smears and online trolls with a sensational Salsa and a straight route through to the final.

- Gorka's speech during the Results Show. I fell in love with him a little more. He's got his partner's back. They're stronger than they've ever been.

- Joe's American Smooth. I know the ending wasn't as spectacular or as difficult as the AT's but I absolutely loved the way Katya leapt into his arms.

- Debbie's Foxtrot, I could watch her dance those sorts of dances all night.

- Decent frocks with Katya's AS dress standing out for its effective simplicity.

- The Final 4 I wanted.

Lows

- I did feel sorry for Mollie just because she's an absolute sweetheart and so magnanimous in defeat.

- I've come to the conclusion I just don't like male celebs attempting the Argentine Tango. I think I can count two that I've enjoyed / remembered - Ricky's and Ramps'. I'm almost always transfixed by what the woman's doing.

I think that's it tbh.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Well that was the semi-final. Mostly it was very good. Either very good or pretty bad. There wasn't much in between.

Highs
Tess's dress in the Main Show
Joe and Katya's AS - Dance, Music, and costumes
Alexandra's VW dress
Shirley picking Mollie's spirits up during the judging of the Samba.
Gemma and Aljaz's Rumba
Alexandra and Gorka Salsa
Mollie and AJ's Waltz (And her dress)
Gemma and Aljaz's Tango
Debbie and Giovanni's Foxtrot (and her dress)
Gemma and Aljaz getting through to final.

Lows
Mollie and AJ's Samba (and her dress)
Debbie and Giovanni's Jive (and her dress)
Jamie screeching out "Isn't She Lovely"
Claudia's dress in the Results Show

I won't put Joe and Katya's "Showdance" in the lows because it was well danced but there was no way it was an Argentine Tango to my idea. It belonged in next week's show!

Who's going to win next week? Who knows. The bookies are betting on Joe and Debbie as front runners. We'll see.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5