Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

+8
Tappingfeet
TANGOLERO
CaledonianCraig
diamondsandpearls
Sid
mauveangel09
B4p
saxonsiren
12 posters

Page 29 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 29 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  jingle Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:43 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:
Felt we have been given a clear steer for the final four, but personally, if Gemma and Mollie dance against each other I think it will be a close call - esp if Mollie does a mistake-less routine (though I think the judges will bin her) But all things being impartial (which they are not) then it will be a rizla paper.

I'm hoping for a Gemma / Mollie DO (well, actually, I'd prefer a Debbie / Alex DO but that's not going to happen). Agree with you Diamonds, if Mollie was pitted against Gemma and did a faultless waltz I think she'd edge it over Gemma's tango.

I really didn't like Gemma's rumba...going to re-watch everything before I comment, but there seemed hardly any content to it.

I didn't like Mollie's samba either...pity she couldn't have done the AT instead. Feel a bit deflated about the show Crying or Very sad
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 29 Empty Re: Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:43 pm

Well I must say I enjoyed Gemma's dances more than Mollie's tonight. More thoughts later
In truth it should be Gemma v Mollie ... Can't really call it myself. Wonder what the judges will do seeing as they scored their second dances equally?

More thoughts later but can I just say one thing

• THAT AT ending  cheers  cheers  cheers   Such a shame he wobbled

Also Alex's 40 - couldn't argue with that
All my votes went to Joe to avoid my nightmare DO scenario
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:12 pm

It is a truth universally acknowleged that a supposed impartial judge judge giving 4 points to a dancer in a national semi final competition, must be ( a xxxxxxx) in want of a visit to Specsavers.

Not much to say about most of it. It was predictable, I'll still cheer Joe and Gemma on (probably fruitlessly) because I admire what they have done to get here and somebody has to go; that's the low point of competition, somebody wins, somebody loses; Way of the world. Mollie, unfortunately (for me at least) is weakest of a good level of competition left. I'd love to see the back of Banana Splits and the Gush Monster, but it can't/won't happen. They're earmarked for one of them to win and public appeal or no, who can say they don't deserve it ? (me,me,me,) . The G.B.P can change things as we well know. Whether they will, even William Hill, Ladbroke's, Bet Fred and the rest don't even know for sure. Time will inevitably tell.
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:17 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:It is a truth universally acknowleged that a supposed impartial judge judge giving 4 points to a dancer in a national semi final  competition, must be ( a xxxxxxx) in want of a visit to Specsavers.

Not much to say about most of it. It was predictable, I'll still cheer Joe and Gemma on (probably fruitlessly) because I admire what they have done to get here and somebody has to go; that's the low point of  competition, somebody wins, somebody loses; Way of the world. Mollie, unfortunately (for me at least) is weakest of a good level of competition left. I'd love to see the back of Banana Splits and the Gush Monster, but it can't/won't happen. They're earmarked for one of them to win and public appeal or no, who can say they don't deserve it ? (me,me,me,) . The G.B.P  can change things as we well know. Whether they will, even William Hill, Ladbroke's, Bet Fred and the rest don't even know for sure. Time will inevitably tell.

lol! Love it.

I agree with all of that. I feel like the BBC are force feeding me Alexandra and Debbie. I must get myself a nil by mouth sign.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Twirlie Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:30 pm

SEMI-FINALS

Before the show starts, I have no idea who will be in the final. I’m almost certain Joe will. Of the other four, Alex and Debbie seem most likely. If either Gemma or Mollie end up in the DO, they’ll be out against any of the others. If Gemma and Mollie go head to head, I’d expect Mollie to go through. Now let’s see what happens!

Nicely dressed Tess and Claud! (Love the sparkly red.) I wasn't sure about the hem of Tess’s dress but Mrs Twirlie (who should know) assures me that asymmetrical hems are all the rage. And WOW Darcy, just WOW!

Joe and Katya – American Smooth
Another nice frock. A terrific routine, so smooth and confident. Great choreography Katya. Nice strong, smooth lifts. In all honesty I was stunned that C raig gave them an 8 and that he got no more than a 9 from anyone. 9.75

Alexandra and Gorka – Viennese Waltz
Yet another wonderful frock – Vicki Gill’s doing well this week. It was very smooth again, controlled and nothing to excess. Just what you would hope for from a Viennese Waltz. Mrs Twirlie wondered if she was a little stiff at times, but I didn't see it myself. 9.75

Mollie and AJ – Samba
Well done Mollie but…. She was not very confident and looked a bit out of her depth. She’s not the Latin queen by any means, but good on the Latin Queen of the judges for picking her up after the others were being so miserable.

Gemma and Aljaz – Rumba
Very simple, but very nice. Not overtly lustful which I like. They stuck to the dance. I didn’t notice any difficulties in the upper body. I just thought it was all lovely and one of Gemma’s better dances. 8.

Debbie and Giovanni - Jive
A very IN-elegant frock this time. Sorry Debbie but you’re right it’s not your dance. It was sharp and technically very good but in some way it didn't quite gel for me. I think her upper body is sometimes just a little too stiff. 8

Joe and Katya – Argentine Tango
A real stumble at one point, and I wondered if they were falling over each other in some of the steps. I hope they didn’t kick the hell out of each other ganchos. It looked as if they were doing.  I didn’t enjoy it as much as some of the judges. Katya’s choreography doesn’t always do it for me. 8.

Alexandra and Gorka – Salsa
Exceptional! The lift went on just a tad too long but that’s being picky. I thought she was wonderful. 10.

Mollie and AJ - Waltz
Another nice dress. Pretty but not always smooth. 8.

Gemma and Aljaz - Tango
Not bad at all! Not nearly as unsteady as I worried that it might be. Strong, very forceful and danced with a lot of passion. A great Tango I thought. 8

Debbie and Giovanni – Foxtrot
Great dress, great song, great dance! What the hell is C raig going on about “out of hold”? Is he making up the rules as he goes along? 9.75

There was a lot that was good about this evening. There was hardly any faffing about but lots of pure dancing.  I enjoyed both of Alex’s dances, especially the Salsa. Joe and Katya’s American Smooth I loved, but their Argentine Tango less so. Debbie’s Foxtrot was sublime, but not the Jive – good, but by no means sublime. Gemma really surprised me. I really enjoyed both her dances, the Rumba and the Tango. Mollie’s dances were the ones that fell below the mark.  For me then, I’m afraid it’s Mollie who should go this week.
Twirlie
Twirlie

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 29 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Round One

Joe and Katya 9.5 to 10/
I absolutely loved this! Dance of the night for me.   I felt that it was unique and was everything that you would expect from an AT. It flowed very well, it had seamless lifts that were quite complex. It had a lot of sections in hold and then some great 'Fred and Ginger' bits out of hold.  It was over so quickly that I wanted to see it again straightaway.

Alex and Gorka 8
Faffy - but once they got into hold it was a very nice Viennese Waltz which flowed well.  For me though, it wasn't exceptional - and there was a lot out of hold.  it was a good dance and a solid performance and they lucked out getting this for the semi final.  I liked the musical arrangement, particularly with a female singer, it stopped it from being too laboured and depressing.

Mollie and AJ 6
Not brilliant, but not worth a '4'. Like Shirley I loved all the wiggly hips and solo bits and she was really going for it - but as a samba it completely lacked bounce and fluidity.  The rolls were not very good at all and there was a lack of a variety of different steps  - just a succession of promenade runs.  But the dance had the right atmosphere for a samba and she did try.  Not a performance worthy of the final in my book I'm afraid.

Gemma and Alijaz    - 7
Wow - I found this really weird. I just couldn't decide whether it was good or not.  B runo kind of summed it up for me when he said that the bottom half was fine but that there was no overall body flow and that something was missing.   I thought the feet were excellent, in fact I was drawn to the feet and legs, I felt she got the rumba timing with her feet and there was some good basic in there, but anything higher up the body was just lacking for me - there was something missing in this routine and not a routine from a potential finalist I'm afraid.

Debbie and Gio - 9
Wow! What is this woman on? Give me some of it!!!!  Timing was impeccable - even Mr Mauve (musician) thought so, - she didn't miss a beat. I thought there was some clever choreography and they used the floor well - it was better than I expected, as Shirley said.  However, I agreed with CRH, the kicks and flicks needed more work- didn't quite 'pump' and these bits in the routine were not the best.

Round Two

Joe and Katya 9
Great shame about the music as it think this would have been all the better for more suitable music.  That said, it was far more recognisable as an AT than what we saw last week - and as Shirley said, he danced it - he didn't act as a prop like many male celebs. It did have an intimate feel that I look for in an AT - nice twist at the end - wow!  Shame he wobbled as this was really innovative in a good way.

Alex and Gorka 9/9.5
Was it worth 40? - Have to go with what everyone else thinks.  Honestly not sure as I was eating a steak cooked by my husband at this point  Embarassed  Embarassed (I have to tell the truth)  and I always zone out a bit when these two come on.   It looked very good as I was expecting and I shall watch it back in the morning.

Mollie and AJ 8
Didn't like the opening, but found this enjoyable, by far her better dance tonight.  I have thought she was a ballroom girl right through the contest - but unfortunately for me, a finalist always has to be good in both disciplines and unfortunately Mollie isn't.  Shame she had a hiccup though, because as a routine it was very nice.

Gemma and Alijaz 9
Yes!!  In my opinion she redeemed herself with this one. Great Tango and great rendition of Sharona by the band.  I felt this was clean and had some great step sequences in it.  Another person who is essentially a ballroom girl!  I really liked it though.

Debbie and Gio 9.5/10
My second favourite dance of the night. Lovely Foxtrot, as expected.  She didn't put a foot wrong.  I felt CRH slightly went against these two tonight - whilst I understand the 'out of hold' comments, there were others who have done the same thing and I didn't think there was actually too much that was truly 'out of hold' as they did the arm in arm stuff which I really liked.  Great finish to the show.

Votes tonight??   Trillions to both Joe and Debbie - I don't want others kept in at their expense. Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:54 pm

So that was tense / exciting!

Joe & Katya - I think the only person happier than Joe after his AS was me! It was everything I hoped it would be (and Katya's hair was immaculate). The AT however, wasn't my cup of tea - and although the final trick was a clever crowd-pleaser, I was relieved when the whole thing was over. 9.5 and 7.5.

Alexandra & Gorka - Well the song for her VW couldn't have been more apt, and for the first time I "felt" Alex's performance. Something not quite right about her Ballroom hold still and I thought the 10s were unwarranted. But then the Salsa happened. She killed it. Literally SCHOOLED the rest of them in Latin and I thought if this doesn't get a 10 from the fabu-u-lus darling one when Abbey's did I'm going to riot. Phew *puts placard down* 9 and 10

Mollie & AJ - Their Samba was 5% hips and 95% hair. She's so far behind the others in Latin. The Waltz was her trump card but even that wasn't blow-me-away-amazing which is what I want and expect from at least one semi-final dance. 6 and 8.

Gemma & Aljaz - She was too lackadaisical in Rumba - in parts it looked like she was having a pleasant walk around. The Tango though was Gemma at her best and I thought she deserved an extra couple of marks. 7 and 9

Debbie & Gio - Debs made much heavier weather of her Jive than I thought she would and the judges over-praised it (but she finished in the right place after Round 1 and I suppose that's all that matters). The Foxtrot though was dreamy and I'm getting peed off with C.raig reserving his 10-second rule just for these two! 7.5 and 9.5

I need to lose Mollie at this stage if only so I don't have to keep gagging every time their Showmance is brought up. I think a final without Debbie's Ballroom and Alexandra's Latin would be a crime. And my Scottish pixie simply has to be there too. We shall see.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:10 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:
Alex and Gorka 9/9.5
Was it worth 40? - Have to go with what everyone else thinks.  Honestly not sure as I was eating a steak cooked by my husband at this point  Embarassed  Embarassed (I have to tell the truth)  and I always zone out a bit when these two come on.   It looked very good as I was expecting and I shall watch it back in the morning.
I hope that's the dance, and not the steak mauve? Embarassed
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 29 Empty ReL Strictly 17 a little bit of Honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:28 pm

A few  (sort of unconnected) impressions of tonight:

1. Joe was done down on his first dance tonight?  Does anyone agree with me? I was so surprised about his marks.  For me personally his American Smooth was the dance of the night. The judges were very restrained and I felt it was undermarked.  Perhaps suffered from going first??  Always a disadvantage.

2. Judges only unreserved positive comments were for Alex.................setting her up for the final?  Yes - although I'm going to watch the Salsa back, as from what you are all saying it is a special one and I slightly missed bits of it.

3. Costumes were lovely tonight - very sparkly and glam.

4. I know this is a strange thing to say but  at times, some of the judges seemed almost inebriated - Shirley and B runo - Shirley was all over the place, particularly having to ask CRH the name of the relevant steps in the AT.

5. I really don't hold with the judges 'larking about' all over place when the dances are going on.  It must be really off putting for the contestants and I think the judges make fools of themselves - it is more correct to have some decorum and sit down whilst the dances are underway.

6.  Tess and her tabloid comments about Mollie and AJ - (again!)  what on earth would B rucie say...................

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:29 pm

Really time for half marks to come in. A small slip in a complex routine shouldn't be punished as if someone fell off their perch and ruined a performance. That and somebody reminding C .R.H he s just a human being and not Fred Almighty. To mark a contestant at this stage a 4 is a total insult. Impartiality isn't part of the judges game is it really? . Shirley, Silver tongued Italian Stallion and Darcy were hiding nothing of their preferences tonight, and Tess should stop passing opinions and making childish comments about Mollie and A.J.

I think that's it for tonight. Sweet dreams.... Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Strictly 17 A little bit of Honesty  - Page 29 Empty Re: Strictly 17 a little bit of honesty

Post  mauveangel09 Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:31 pm

B4p wrote:
I hope that's the dance, and not the steak mauve? Embarassed

lol! lol!
Hope you enjoyed what the band did with Sharona tonight? (again......not literally...........) lol!

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

lol! lol!
Hope you enjoyed what the band did with Sharona tonight?    (again......not literally...........) lol!

I thought they did a great job
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  allsewnonbyhand Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Joe and Katya
My favourites so I wanted them to do well. I thought he looked nervous in the first dance. Was waiting to see how Katya would make the song work for AT. Is there such a thing as contemporary AT? That's how I would describe it, I liked it but still feel it's a crime to mess with trad music. One of the judges said something along the lines of it was in the style of AT without the recognisable intimate atmosphere, and I would agree with that. I think she did an amazing job and the wowzer finish will be what is remembered- I literally jumped to my feet. Such a shame about the wobbles.
Alex and Gorka I have to be honest and say I went to pour a cuppa halfway through  the first dance, but the second one, well, that's how you answer trolls with a textbook ****-off salsa. I've been agin her quite openly, and I won't vote for her as I still can't connect, but even I could see it was stunning. She deserves her place in the final, but I hope she doesn't win
Mollie and AJ her samba looked awkward but a 4?! Evil or Very Mad blatant favouritism by C.raig. I think her confidence was shot to pieces and she was almost defeated before she started her second dance. Was so lovely to see her joy when told it was her highest score! Sorry Molls but it's you or Gemma, can't decide which, maybe we should scrunch a leaf and decide a la Toff in the jungle
Gemma and Alijaz I didn't like the rumba. Unlike Mollie's last week, whilst I was pleased it wasn't a loved up sensual rumba, it didn't have the same charm. I felt she lacked the fluidity to the extent she was walking it at some points. The tango had attack, and can I just say, was probably difficult to do second hair, but I hated it, thought she looked like a stegosaurus. As I said before interesting that her and Mollie were tied in their second dances
Debbie and Giovanni thought the jive was overmarked when it lacked sharpness and the retraction in the flicks, but loved the foxtrot. Have no idea  from where C.raig suddenly remembered the 10 second rule,( it means something very different in the Allsewn household, normally you have 10 seconds to pick up food before the dog gets it! tongue )

If Mollie can get herself together she could possibly see Gemma off but my money is on the judges saving Gemma. Either are toast if they go up against any but each other.
We wait and see....

Last edited by allsewnonbyhand on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
allsewnonbyhand
allsewnonbyhand

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:14 am

Well, I'm on my own again! Everyone seems to be agreed that Gemma's Tango was better than Mollie's Waltz. And whilst Gemma's Rumba was better than Mollie's wibbly wobbly, hair-tossing Samba, it wasn't streets ahead to my eyes (I think Alls was also a bit less impressed than the rest of you with her Rumba - so not quite on my own!

And Sid, yes! Katya's hair was bee-yewt-ifull. Loved the styling, though her dress could have been.... MORE... Just MORE. Navy and white doesn't say glitz and glamour exactly. More sequins, beading and feathers required. Maybe some arm-wafts (they really have been put away in the cupboard -haven't seen them for several series..)

But we are nearly all agreed that that Salsa was a great Salsa. Gorka is the Salsa King :-)

The final lift in the AT seems to have split everyone... It was basically an ab crunch using Katya as a counter-weight. More a gym move than a lift, but showed off Joe's core strength (would have been better if we could have seen said abs...) Other than that, neither contributed nor detracted to the routine. I like the choreogrpahy a whole bunch more than YASB and Davoods, that's for sure.

(As an aside, I had a lovely time comparing and contrasting Gorka and Gio's stomachs... drunken drunken drunken )

I think Mollie will go (unless she isn't in the dance off - but her votes would have to go off the scale for that to happen) , but like I said before, I find at this stage I don't really care who stays and who goes. I am not as excited by the prospect of a final as I have been in other years.
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:58 am

allsewnonbyhand wrote:Alex and Gorka I have to be honest and say I went to pour a cuppa halfway through  the first dance, but the second one, well, that's how you answer trolls with a textbook ****-off salsa.
That must be my second favourite quip of this series. I SO agree Laughing
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:10 am

I enjoyed tonight’s show. The tension was coming out of the screen. You could feel the stress, even from the Pro dancers.
Round 1
Joe’s A. Smooth - I enjoyed this and thought it looked very classy. Several impressive lifts that fitted with the music and style of the dance. I liked Joe’s suit & tie and Katya’s black & white dress. They looked modern, but sophisticated.

Alexandra’s V. Waltz - I enjoyed this. For the first time, I saw a connection between her and Gorka. Some lovely arms and hands. A lovely V. Waltz. Not sure about the current fashion of the girl ending up lying on the floor at the end (same with Gemma). Loved both Alexandra’s white dress and Gorka’s white tail suit.

Mollie’s Samba - a repetitious mess for me. Mostly Promenade runs, a couple of Botafogas and Samba rolls that looked excruciating. I think her ‘Shakira’ hair had more bounce. There’s talk she wanted to avoid the Samba, but it was either that or the A. Tango. Maybe a poor tactical move by AJ? Mollie looked stunning in her gold latin number. Has she worn gold/yellow several times? AJ looked like they’d just found a regulation sparkly shirt in the laundry room somewhere. Fed up about hearing about any possible romance. Not interested. Not relevant. Give it a rest.

Gemma’s Rumba - better than I thought it would be. I agree with the judges that so much time had been spent on timing and foot placement, that the rest of the upper body got forgotten. It’s surprising how that’s been mentioned for most of the female Rumbas this year. I didn't have to hide behind my hands. Gemma's white dress had the flavour of Katya's Rumba sandy coloured dress. Alijaz went for the casual white shirt look.

Debbie’s Jive - I thought she did well. It would have been easy for Gio to have just done two ballrooms, but he pushed her and she delivered. I agree with other’s that have commented about her knee kicks not looking right. She kicks out and not down. Ian also mentioned it on ITT. Her Latin feet are also ‘quarter to 3’ like Mary Poppins, rather than 5 to 1, or 10 to 2. I think that’s the ballet dancer stance, and other previous contestants with ballet training seem to walk the same way. I thought her energy level was great. I liked her dress and loved seeing her navy low heels.  So many females have worn training shoes for the Jive over the past few series. I liked Gio’s matching shirt, but wish wardrobe could afford one or two buttons. Getting fatigued with Pro dancers chests now!

Round 2
Joe’ A. Tango - Different.  I must confess I held my breath through it!  Shame about the wobble. I’ve noticed Joe sometimes curls his hands into fists when he doesn’t seem to know what to do with them. He did it again tonight just after the start with the mirror. It didn’t seem to be part of the routine to me. I noticed him doing it a few weeks ago on one of the Latin dances. A bit of a kick-fest, but they were synchronised quite well I thought. I loved the twist at the end. I wasn’t sure about the industrial/space-age type outfits but I guess they went with the overall modern feel. I like the silver/grey velvet that’s been used this year.

Alexandra’s Salsa - The girl’s got Latin in her blood, that’s for sure. I loved it. Some great side by side dancing, and armography. Lots of content. The only lift I didn’t like was the final 'legs over the shoulder/upside down' one. To me it looked unnecessary, too long and broke the rhythm of the dance. She looked relaxed and danced like a Pro keeping up with Gorka. I loved her red dress and Gorka’s matching shirt. One of her best along with her Cha-Cha for me.

Mollie’s Waltz - She looks so much more relaxed in ballroom hold. A pretty waltz. I wasn’t sure about the beginning of the dance when AJ bent her backwards then forwards. It reminded me of a rag doll (a concept that I thought they’d been trying to get away from). I thought her frame looked good. It had nice flow. Her footwork looked neat from what I could see around steady-cam man (grrrr). I loved the shade of turquoise for her dress, not sure about the dropped waist (but what do I know). AJ looked very smart in his black tail suit.

Gemma’s Tango - I wasn’t sure this would work but Alijaz wove his magic. I thought she looked fierce. Wasn’t sure about the start. It looked like they were squaring up for a gunfight at the OK Corral. I can see what Cr aig meant about her hand position on Alijaz’s back. It was intermittent, and looked a bit high as well as flat. Compared to the training VT, I thought she did a great job. Another ending with the girl on the floor. Not so keen on her dress. Zoe mentioned Gemma’s very body conscious but I think a different colour like a dark blue could have looked dramatic, but suited her better. Another dropped waist. I think the neckline made her shoulders look broader than they are. Alijaz seemed to just have the standard Strictly sparkly black high neck shirt.

Debbie’s Foxtrot - For me she looked stunning. She just radiates in ballroom. I loved the song, the dance, the dress was absolute class. Gio looked very high brow in his tail suit and dickie bow. A great end to the show.

I think they all deserve a medal to produce such high level work in such a short space of time.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:59 am

B4p wrote:
Joe’s A. Smooth - I enjoyed this and thought it looked very classy. Several impressive lifts that fitted with the music and style of the dance. I liked Joe’s suit & tie and Katya’s black & white dress. They looked modern, but sophisticated.

Debbie’s Jive - I thought she did well. It would have been easy for Gio to have just done two ballrooms, but he pushed her and she delivered. I agree with other’s that have commented about her knee kicks not looking right. She kicks out and not down. Ian also mentioned it on ITT. Her Latin feet are also ‘quarter to 3’ like Mary Poppins, rather than 5 to 1, or 10 to 2. I think that’s the ballet dancer stance, and other previous contestants with ballet training seem to walk the same way. I thought her energy level was great. I liked her dress and loved seeing her navy low heels.  So many females have worn training shoes for the Jive over the past few series. I liked Gio’s matching shirt, but wish wardrobe could afford one or two buttons. Getting fatigued with Pro dancers chests now!

Debbie’s Foxtrot - For me she looked stunning. She just radiates in ballroom. I loved the song, the dance, the dress was absolute class. Gio looked very high brow in his tail suit and dickie bow. A great end to the show.

I think they all deserve a medal to produce such high level work in such a short space of time.

I think your last line is very true and something we so often forget.

I think we seem to be in tune on most of our thoughts this week B4P - I think your comments about Debbie and the jive are very apt. I think it is interesting that of the 4 girls left in this year, we have one Latina to three ballroom girls. On that note, I watched back Alex and Gorka ( steak interrupted routine and TV put on pause) on the beeb site just now on my pc - yes it was a wonderful routine - I just thought that the last lift where she was hanging from his neck didn't look so good - very 'Dancing on Ice' - otherwise top of the class - although my personal favourite is still their cha cha. Whilst I was on the site I also re-watched Joe and Katya's American Smooth and Debbie and Gio's Foxtrot - as I was surprised last night by the judges somewhat muted reaction to both and on a second watch I felt they were both robbed a bit.

Joe and Katya - AS - Really was as good as I thought it was last night. The transitions from the lifts and from the out of hold to the in hold sections to me were spot on - I loved the arm work and for me anyway it was a top class American Smooth - can't understand why it wasn't worth at least one 10 from someone.

Debbie and Gio - Foxtrot - that Foxtrot was flawless - not a foot wrong and there were very few bits out of hold as CRH claimed - I don't think the arm in arm bits should be classed as out of hold and they are quite difficult to do - a move that B rendan has often done in the past. She looked stunning - it was my dress of the night- loved the peach underskirt. On the subject of B rendan, I thought Debbie's dress was similar to one that Lisa wore for something...??

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Being a rather blunt sort of chap in some respects, I'm stating (in my opinion only, as always) not for the first time that the whole judging situation is out of hand. Judges bowing and scraping to their favourites and down marking those they don't like is so very wrong. Yes, it's that 4 from the Baron of Bullxxxx that's so riled me. In addition to wrongly influencing those who don't know better, what that must have done to Mollie's confidence is indescribable. Three of the judges gave her 7,7 and 6, which should effectively have been 8,8,8....and his majesty gives her a 4 and gets away with it. Second time around he can safely give her an 8 with everyone else because the damage is done. Wrong, wrong, wrong... Evil or Very Mad
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 pm

allsewnonbyhand wrote:
Sorry Molls but it's you or Gemma, can't decide which, maybe we should scrunch a leaf and decide a la Toff in the jungle

Have no idea  from where C.raig suddenly remembered the 10 second rule,( it means something very different in the Allsewn household, normally you have 10 seconds to pick up food before the dog gets it! tongue )

lol! lol!

diamondsandpearls wrote:
And Sid, yes!  Katya's hair was bee-yewt-ifull. Loved the styling, though her dress could have been.... MORE... Just MORE. Navy and white doesn't say glitz and glamour exactly.  More sequins, beading and feathers required.  Maybe some arm-wafts (they really have been put away in the cupboard -haven't seen them for several series..)

like I said before, I find at this stage I don't really care who stays and who goes. I am not as excited by the prospect of a final as I have been in other years.

Ooh diamonds on this occasion I thought the simplicity of Katya's dress - just a beautiful cut without the extras - worked a treat. I think E.rin took the wafty arm hankies with her - we don't seem to have seen them since she left. As for the feather shortage that might have something to do with the fact I'm hoarding all the feathers on the planet Razz

I'm also out of sync with you on excitement levels! If tonight's elimination goes to plan I think we're heading for the best final in yonks. Maybe EVER. I'm invested in 3 of the couples - this never happens. And there are a whole load of dances I'm hoping to see again. It's also almost impossible to call.

mauveangel09 wrote:

1. Joe was done down on his first dance tonight?  Does anyone agree with me? I was so surprised about his marks.  For me personally his American Smooth was the dance of the night. The judges were very restrained and I felt it was undermarked.  Perhaps suffered from going first??  Always a disadvantage.

2. Judges only unreserved positive comments were for Alex.................setting her up for the final?  Yes - although I'm going to watch the Salsa back, as from what you are all saying it is a special one and I slightly missed bits of it.

3. Costumes were lovely tonight - very sparkly and glam.

4. I know this is a strange thing to say but  at times, some of the judges seemed almost inebriated - Shirley and B runo - Shirley was all over the place, particularly having to ask CRH the name of the relevant steps in the AT.

5. I really don't hold with the judges 'larking about' all over place when the dances are going on.  It must be really off putting for the contestants and I think the judges make fools of themselves - it is more correct to have some decorum and sit down whilst the dances are underway.

I love you telling the judges off in 4 & 5 mauve! I agree, after watching it back, Joe's Smooth was the dance of the round in round one. I don't know whether they held back because he went first or whether they were determined to do everything in their power to ensure Alexandra was bigged up to the max and topped the table (they needn't have worried as she totally sold it with her Salsa and would have finished top of the heap without her VW needing to be overhyped).

You mentioned Debbie's Foxtrot dress reminding you of one of Lisa's - I thought it reminded me of one of Victoria Pendeleton's....
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:02 pm

Sid wrote:I'm also out of sync with you...

Oh no, Sid! I can't bear it... A point of disagreement on not one, but TWO things (and maybe more....) Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad My dark stone beckons me to crawl back under it. pale

I watched Gemma's tango again without the distraction of sound, and it was better than I first gave it cedit for. However, I still found the green dress detracting (not here best look). I did the same for Molly's waltz and that too was better without the sacherine song. So.... still equal...

I did the same treatment for Alex's Salsa and it was that good that I could almost hear music. I watched Danny Mac's salsa by way of contrast and though good, it didn't hold a candle. Oti put something interesting stuff into it, but her Salsa choreography doesn't match Gorka's. Alex was almost as good as Ott, whereas Danny didn't come near Gorka (he was too upright and too much on the front of his feet). Alex had one slightly inelegant/stoppy gettin gout of a lift moment but otherwise it was insanley good.

I'm very, very sorry Crying or Very sad that I can't get that excited. All of them are ok and nice but there is no-one that I want to win beyond anything else. Joe did have it for me, but I'm angling towards Agin Katya again (hyperactivity which matches KAREN LIKES FOOD! on the annoying scale and her frocks haven't been so amazing recnetly) and Joe is just a bit TOO 'meh, whatever, this is just fun.. let's go have FUN Katya!! Debbie's Latin doesn't do it for me and her dresses often let me down (wasn't so very taken with the Foxtrot dress - the nude was tan rather than well, nude. And I didn't like it. Or the way the red under-frou battled with the tan. I'm fussy...). Alex can't win because she is too ringer-y. And Gemma is still not the most elegant of dancers and I don't always enjoy watching her.

I'll watch, but I don't think I will be voting.

Adios Amigos... *scuttles back under her stone * Arrow
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:

Oh no, Sid!  I can't bear it... A point of disagreement on not one, but TWO things (and maybe more....)  Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad  My dark stone beckons me to crawl back under it. pale

Joe is just a bit TOO 'meh, whatever, this is just fun.. let's go have FUN Katya!! Alex can't win because she is too ringer-y

I know diamonds, I can't cope! I hope this is just a blip - we've only been married a couple of years!

Just a point about Joe and Alex. I was reading a bit more about their backgrounds: Alex went to an ordinary comprehensive school and has done musicals while Joe went to a drama school and has also done musicals. So in all honesty, there's not much between them in terms of ringery-ness but hers has been played up more and his has very much been played down.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Alexandra's ringerness was evident from week one. She nailed that and every dance (almost ) since. Even has had the judges remarking that she has danced dances better than her professional partner and C.raig I think it was saying he wished he could dance like her. She has been in West End musicals (produced by none other than C.raig Revel Horwood) and has also (like Aston) been a judge on another dance show. Joe certainly didn't nail his first dance. It took him a few weeks to find his feet and for me that is not a trait of a ringer.

I also just see lots I don't like in Alex. Her dances are clinically good but sterile - no feeling in them. She also comes across as a me, me, me type of person from what I have seen. Joe puts a charm and expression into his dances that I just don't get from Alex.

We all have our favourites I realize that but I am something of a non-conformist. The judges and Tess gushing over Alex and Debbie just feels too forced. I am the sort who the more I am pushed the more I am pushed away from them.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Just taking a break from doing my Xmas decos...........

Yes Sid - I remember the Victoria Pendleton dress now - I think she wore it for a quickstep and it was one of her best dances (might be wrong on the dance but I can remember the dress - and don't ask me why but I think the set/theme for the dance was American and there was New York skyline scenery in the background............or something like that!!!) I still think Lisa also wore something like it - will have a delve.

I also can't wait for the final - and it is very unusual for me to be invested in two couples. More often than not in recent years it's taken me over half way through the contest just to decide who to support. This year I was decided pretty early on - but didn't want to commit until I had seen what others had to offer.

I do feel sorry for Diamonds though - when you get a year when you don't really feel invested in any particular couple, it does feel a bit flat. I had a year like that two years ago - the year that Jay McGuiness won - guess it's like going on first date, the crop of contestants either float your boat or they don't, you can never tell.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:18 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

Yes Sid - I remember the Victoria Pendleton dress now - I think she wore it for a quickstep and it was one of her best dances  (might be wrong on the dance but I can remember the dress  - and don't ask me why but I think the set/theme for the dance was American and there was New York skyline scenery in the background............or something like that!!!) I still think Lisa also wore something like it - will have a delve.

I do feel sorry for Diamonds though - when you get a year when you don't really feel invested in any particular couple, it does feel a bit flat.  I had a year like that two years ago - the year that Jay McGuiness won - guess it's like going on first date, the crop of contestants either float your boat or they don't, you can never tell.

Oh don't....! I've brought it all on myself. I've been vacillating for weeks between Joe and Gemma and now I've decided that neither them has come through for me.  I'm just being a stroppy toddler

Re the dress similarities - you and Sid have intrigued me now, so I too am going to go a-delving. Also, you've just reminded me I havne't posted on Glitz and Glamour, so I must do that also...  Life is so busy!
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:22 pm

That was easily the worst final we've had mauve. Anita wasn't there, there was nobody I was rooting for, Jay danced poorly (by his standards) but won anyway because he was always going to. The whole thing was just a formality and lacked any kind of tension or dazzling dancing.

CC - I get what you're saying, I'm just going by what they've each arrived at Strictly with on paper. Other factors also play a part of course. For example, some will inevitably take more naturally to Ballroom & Latin dancing than others. But Joe's not a complete novice to the world of performance and dance that's for sure.
Sid
Sid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next