Strictly BBC Exiles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

+7
Moova 12
CaledonianCraig
fiftynotout
mauveangel09
diamondsandpearls
TANGOLERO
B4p
11 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread Empty SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  B4p Thu May 02, 2019 8:02 pm

Tango's premier discussion thread where all fans can meet, review, rave, and rant in safety, over all things Strictly.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  TANGOLERO Thu May 23, 2019 7:09 pm

I'm still around B4P, glad to see you are. I'll be back... Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread

Post  B4p Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Hi Tango

Tapping my foot waiting for some Strictly news. Just checked the Biscuit Barrel Corp site, but nothing new as yet. I'm off for a quick jaunt to the Dark Side to check out their gossip.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Just checking in after watching the "Tess show a leg extravaganza" and all the pantomime of opening Strictly night. Not quite got in full enthusiasm mode yet, but once the dancing starts I may get better. Glad Housewives choice got a decent partner to kick off. Time, will no doubt tell but I'm expecting James Cracknell to do okay. Just hope it all doesn't become the Aneka Rice Fandango Show. Oh, hello all by the way, glad to be back and waiting for the music.....Let's go. Laughing
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Location : Flirting between fantasy and and reality. Lost in Austen and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Welcome back Tango.

I enjoyed the show. Non of the males seem to be taking themselves too seriously which is always a good start, but I wonder if some of the pairings will be a bit loud, like Dev & Dianne, Will & Janette and Mike & Katya. Mike reminds me of the pocket rocket that O la had.

So glad that Johannes, Luba and Neil have partners this year.

The new female pro Nancy looks a very snappy dancer too.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:36 pm

TANGOLERO wrote:Just checking in after watching the "Tess show a leg extravaganza" and all the pantomime of opening Strictly night. Not quite got in full enthusiasm mode yet, but once the dancing starts I may get better. Glad Housewives choice got a decent partner to kick off. Time, will no doubt tell but I'm expecting James Cracknell to do okay. Just hope it all doesn't become the Aneka Rice Fandango Show. Oh, hello all by the way, glad to be back and waiting for the music.....Let's go. Laughing

Hi Tango, great to see you again!

Like you,I save my enthusiasm for the live shows.

Not convinced James will do that well - wrong build and very nervous.

B4P - agree with you re the loud ones - Devanne have the potential to be real Agins. I am already Agin Mike - as I said on the Launch thread, he is as annoying as a wasp around your lemonade. I feel Will is very nervous and over compensating - hopefully he will settle down a bit, though Janette has a tendency to rev people up.

SO happy for Amy (at this stage - it could change!). I wanted her to have a good partner who was nice and Karim seems to fit the bill and both of them seemed genuinely stoked to be partnered with each other.

I am loving The Viscountess's ability to give good frock. She seems pretty nice actually, and I think I saw a bit of hip action. Her and aljaz should get on fine.

Worried for Gio...

Tango, not sure what you mean about the Anneka Rice Fandango, but not convinced Kevin was overjoyed to get the 'older lady'. I fast forwarded through the paso dooley (the very arrogance of it!) I would have preferred her to AJ or Neil.

Thought A nton was a bit rude by implying that he had had rubbish partners - Katy got to the finals for goodness sake. There was also the implication that he was relieved not to get Anneka or Madame Visage - also rude. Sadly for Emma I think she would have done better with, well, anyone else really.I was so hoping YouTube Brat would be partnered with A nton... (the gritted teeth smies that would have engendered - I feel deprived!)

Very sad about Jamie - we've lost him AND Oti, unless there is a replacement. Having said that, neither of them seemed that upset - Jamie a bit teary initially, but then both he and Oti seemed pretty sanguine. Having had Very Bad Ankle Injuries (TM) four times in 18 months I don't buy the boot being on for 8 weeks schtick. I'm not suggesting dancing on the foot is possible (there is no way I could have danced for at least 8 weeks - I remember trying to dance to Oti and Danny's Samba in the kitchen after the final with my friend about 7 weeks in and it was really NOT a good idea...), but it is unusual for the boot to be on that long. Also, he seemed to be dancing ok until the end of the routine, and if there was soft tissue damage he would have been hopping around in agony, as soon as it went pop, unable to carry on. So I am suspicious and feel there is another reason for him departing, but this saves everyones face.

That's it for now! Look forward to hearing more thoughts when the series begins proper
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread Empty Re: Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:24 am

Enjoyed the show but must confess that I was relieved when it cut to the studio from the chaotic red carpet launch night.  T ess and C laude both  looked well except for the fact that C laude looked like she was wearing a trouser suit from Top of the Pops 1972. I thought she was really on form though with the banter she had with A nton and his hilarious comments.

I really enjoyed the judges dance routine and feel that both S hirley and Motsi thoroughly proved their credentials as judges with their dancing, whereas B runo and C raig sadly did not!   C raig should definitely stick to the choreography and not actually dancing!!    Thought Motsi was nothing less than majestic throughout the show - whilst I'm still a little bit concerned as to how it will work with her judging her sister - to me that is not right in principle - I am pleased that they chose someone from the ballroom and latin world as the new judge, and one who is already experienced as a judge on the German show. I also thought her comments at the end were quite interesting and revealed that she might be quite a tough judge!

Looking forward to the 'proper' start of the series -' shame that Gorka has been benched - what's the story on that one??? Not sorry that Graziano hasn't made the cut though delighted that Neil finally has a partner and also glad to see Luba and Johannes in the main show - really looking forward to seeing what they can do.

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:32 pm

D & P said @ "Tango, not sure what you mean about the Anneka Rice Fandango,"
Simply that I expect she'll be running the show if she survives a couple of weeks Daimonds. Might just be me being prejudiced, I do that occasionally... Embarassed
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:58 pm

Ahh - I see Tango!

She's not my favourite, but I'm not agin her. And bless her, she needs sympathy for having to cope with Mr Clifton's ego...
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:39 pm

diamondsandpearls wrote:Ahh - I see Tango!

She's not my favourite, but I'm not agin her. And bless her, she needs sympathy for having  to cope with  Mr Clifton's ego...
Indeed, there is that. Not sure he looked altogether delighted behind that Sweeney Todd smile.... Wink
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Hello gang, great to see some of the old faces back here again.  I am afraid to say I really should change my name to sixtynotout this year (but don’t know how).  I’m also fully retired (since January) which means in theory that I have loads more time on my hands but in practise I don’t know how I ever found time to go to work.

On the Strictly front, I know more of the pros than the s.lebs (so far) so really need a couple of shows under my belt before I can really contribute.  Suffice to say I am delighted that Neil and Johannes have partners this year and look forward to seeing how this season pans out.  Do we have any obvious ringers?
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  fiftynotout Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Oh, and, of course Kevin gets the mature lady. He won it last year so must graciously accept a no-hoper. ‘‘Tis only fair....
fiftynotout
fiftynotout

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:43 pm

cheers Welcome back 50+!

I only know of Anneka so I'm open to all comers this year. I'll see how things pan out over the first few weeks.
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Now look you lot!  You know I love you all to bits and miss you madly when you are not around, but you really must stop automatically assuming that the 'older lady' is going to be a no-hoper.  Whilst not all of the more mature contestants have quite been in Debbie McGee's league, there have been some very good competitors in that age bracket - Cherie Lunghi, Pamela Stephenson, Anita Dobson, and for the males - before he got into all the hoo ha about bullying - Danny Jules.

It isn't about age which makes a good competitior, it is about trying and putting your all into it. People like Widdishins, Sargeant major, Nancy, Stephanie etc, just didn't even try to improve, compounded in many instances by rubbish 'comdedy' choreography by A nton (among others - he is just the worst offender. Chris Parker remains one of the most rubbish contestants we have ever had and he was about twelve when he did it. The people who try, and make improvements gradually, tend to get at least middway, no matter what their age. Judy Moo was awful, but she DID improve (even with A nton). Ruth wasn't bad/wasn't good but improved (until the comedy samba) and survived a fair few weeks.  The younger competitors, unless amazing (ie ringah) or with a huge fanbase (Joe Suggs) don't always fare any better - Vick Hope is one example that springs to mind.

And it's not all about fitness - Vick Hope looked in fine shape, but it didn't do her any good. Pamela Stephenson wasn't in the best shape but she had huge energy and drive. See also Lisa Riley. Core strength is required for all the acrobatic lifts and stunt, but dancing isn't all about that. A jive takes stamina, but that can be worked up to. And Debbie McGee, Cheri Lunghi and Anita Dobson were at least as fit (and in Debbeh's case fitter) as many of the younger contestants. And most of the time the people who are being written off on here and other media are in their fifties (not their 70s or 80s), which research has shown, with women at least, that they are only fractionally less fit than their peak which is usually in their late 20's early 30s (men peak earlier....!). An unfit person is an unfit person whatever their age. If you are used to being active throughout your life you won't have lost much in the intervening years - some speed and speed of recovery, but certainly not stamina (this improves if anything) and not necessarily flexibility. I have witnessed a 54 year old female do their first fell (massive hill) race and beat a 19 year old lad because they had a greater residual fitness. It is all about lifestyle rather than age in the end.

So don't let's write Anneka off before we have seen her. If she is a no-hoper it will be down to her attitude - a combination of lacking the confidence and not giving it her all rather than her age. From what she has said her self confidence in the arena of dance may be her downfall.But she looks in decent shape and if she believes in herself and trains hard then she could do better than say Saffron who doesn't look that fit at all (but who will do well because she REALLY believes in herself!)

*getsoff soapbox, slides it back into the corner and slinks silently out of the door, sparkly slippers in hand*
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

SCD 2019 Tango's 'Little Bit Of Honesty' Thread Empty Re: SCD 2019 Tango's Little Bit of Honesty Thread

Post  mauveangel09 Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi Diamonds

Great post and all good points and very true. I do think people learned a lot from Pam Stephenson who I think was the first more 'mature' female who shocked everyone with how good she was - so actually those who have come afterwards have not been so much of a surprise - Debbie was of course in a league of her own.

You are correct in that it all comes down to individual skill and ability, application and chemistry with the pro partner rather than age - although being fit has to be a given because there is a point isn't there in the contest where in order to progress you just have to be able step it up with the lifts and splits etc - but before this I agree you get many younger ones (and ones that have been 'hyped up' too) that just either miss out on the votes or simply aren't good enough dancers to progress - Rachel Riley and Kirsty Young spring to mind.

I think the skill of the pro is the key to a more mature contestant progressing through the series - perhaps further than what was thought possible or assumed - and I think this applies to male or female celebs. I think Amy did wonders with Danny John Jules before all the stupid business happened - as you say. A nton also did great things with Ruth.

My thoughts about K evin being partnered with Anneka is not about writing her off but more about what he can do as a pro with a mature contestant as this is untested and I think others feel the same way. He has struck very lucky over his time in the series whereas other male pros have had more of a mixed bag of ages and potential. He has largely had a succession of actresses or ex girl band members of various types - S tacey being a clone of those who came earlier. He did well with Suzanna Reid - I'll give him that and also Susan, although I think a lot of Susan's success came down to her own personality and popularity. I have a love hate relationship with his choreography - the over styling is not something I like and I find he gets so annoying and seemingly so intense and controlling with his partners. For all these reasons and also the fact that he now has S tacey at home - I am going to find the dynamic between him and Anneka very interesting indeed.

I think the other aspect to consider is GBP and the voting. It is always a lottery on the first few weeks and I'm sure Anneka will get the votes ahead of a few of the others to propel her into the contest...……...then we shall see...……... Very Happy Very Happy

mauveangel09

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:58 pm

mauveangel09 wrote:

My thoughts about K evin being partnered with Anneka  is  not about writing her off but more about what he can do as a pro with a mature contestant as this is untested and I think others feel the same way.   He has struck very lucky over his time in the series whereas other male pros have had more of a mixed bag of ages and potential.  He has largely had a succession of actresses or ex girl band members of various types - S tacey being a clone of those who came earlier. He did well with Suzanna Reid - I'll give him that and also Susan, although I think a lot of Susan's success came down to her own personality and popularity.   I have a love hate relationship with his choreography - the over styling is not something I like and I find he gets so annoying and seemingly so intense and controlling with his partners.  For all these reasons and also the fact that he now has S tacey at home - I am going to find the dynamic between him and Anneka very interesting indeed.

I think the other aspect to consider is GBP and the voting.   It is always a lottery on the first few weeks and I'm sure Anneka will get the votes ahead of a few of the others to propel her into the contest...……...then we shall see...……... Very Happy Very Happy

You have hit the nail on the head about Kevin - that intense, controlling thing. And I also agree about his choreography.

However, apart from last year, he had Karen at home - and it didn't stop that controlling intensity. I think that is how he plays his partnerships, both on and off the dance floor. (I could spend a lot of time here wondering about and attempting to analyse Kevin's personality and his relationship with women, but here is probably not the right place (all I will say is that judging from the huge and public proposal that he did to Karen is that he may a little in love with being in love and it consumes him at the beginning but perhaps is less keen when the humdrum of reality kicks in).

I feel Anneka herself is quite competitive - once she gets over the 'what, little me? - I can't dance at all' thing. She may be a Judy Moo character - determined and competitive but not very musical or rhythmic, or she could find that she was given those tremendous pins to kick and flick and twirl and fleckerl and will give it her all.

My one real observation about the couple is that in heels Anneka is tad taller than Kevin (same for Amy and Karim). Will this have an impact?

We shall have to wait and see!

diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Could the possibility of less weightlifting to music and synchronised swimming without the water,  sort of equalise things up a little for those contestants who don't spend their lives in spandex leotards and seeing their personal trainer every day for a sesh? I mean, no dance school worth its salt teaches "the lift" or the Flatley Fandango as part of learning ballroom dance. As a lifetime dance lover who (ballet and spinning on your head like a demented spider apart) has dabbled in dance arts numerous including Spanish dance and flamenco in a sometimes lonely and often fearful pursuit of musical movement (You think dance can't be fearful?  try walking up the un-carpeted stairs to a new dance class on Sunday afternoon only to find you're the only bloke amongst a bloomers and bras army of know-all wannabe Carmen Amayas. That, my friends, is truly fearful!

My point is, every dance in Strictly is a sometimes totally unrecognisable piece of tough personal pro choreography , often done at mach speed, that even Fred and Ginger might find baffling to learn in a week. That's what our erstwhile heroes and heroines, regardless of age, sex, shape, size and physical ability have to cope with and call a level for all playing field. The G.B.P  are actually the great common denominator, bringing popularity and personal favouritism in to level the see-saw. It's easy enough really (no, it isn't)  if they teach basics (which they don't) of the recognised forms of the art. At least that way anybody over forty and in excess of seven stone might actually get to Blackpool Tower Ballroom one day, providing of course you didn't cheat and do dance class in junior school....

I wonder how many ex-Strictly contestants can actually do a waltz, foxtrot or quickstep at a wedding? Dance on folks....cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:23 am

study I believe it's Tango's birthday - many happy returns, hope it's a good one drunken
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:29 am

B4p wrote:study I believe it's Tango's birthday - many happy returns, hope it's a good one drunken

Thank you B4p, yes, I'm 80 as of half an hour ago...sadly.... Sad cheers
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  CaledonianCraig Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:26 am

TANGOLERO wrote:

Thank you B4p, yes, I'm 80 as of half an hour ago...sadly.... Sad  cheers

Many happy returns Tango. Have a lovely day.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

http://onthebusesforum.org/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Moova 12 Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Happy birthday Tango! May be bit belated but I have been celebrating mine!
Moova 12
Moova 12

Back to top Go down

Post  B4p Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:34 pm

flower Belated happy birthday Moover flower
B4p
B4p

Back to top Go down

Post  diamondsandpearls Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Wow Tango! 80 years young - that's worth celebrating! Very Happy bounce bounce cheers Hope you've had a wonderful day and here's to the next decade.

And belated birthday greetings to you Moover, hope you also had a lovely day.

Mwah, mwah to you both xx
diamondsandpearls
diamondsandpearls

Back to top Go down

Post  TANGOLERO Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and glad you're sharing the occasion Moova. (Glad it's over actually and back to normality.) Very Happy
TANGOLERO
TANGOLERO

Back to top Go down

Post  jingle Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Belated happy birthday to Moova and Tango  drunken  drunken

Tango, I can remember your 70th birthday back in the days of the BBC forum! Hard to believe it was 10 years ago. I've just looked it up, and that was the year Chris Hollins won
jingle
jingle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next